CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 February 2022

lysglimt

Scout
When did deGea last play 90 minutes without having to make one qualified save ?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Elanga and telles did more in 15 mins than rashford and shaw in 75 mins. The latter two are not utd quality and dont have the mentality either.

siw2007

We didn’t deserve to win that, but as we’ve learnt the hard way in recent weeks, it just takes 1 moment and couldn’t be happier to see Elanga score again tonight. We’ve given ourselves a good chance in the 2nd leg but based on tonight it’s going to be a difficult test.

Didn’t think the team selection was right tonight, mainly looking at this Lindelof RB business. Think we’d have faired better over the course of the game with AWB there instead.

Cantonagotmehere

Goodness we need a 25 year old Matic. Bruno and Pogba better watch and learn from hat awful 1 half.

So happy to grab that late goal. Elanga!!!

AM did not do a ton either. We can take them at home.

Telles needs to start

MinGin

We need a DM to free Fred to press. It's better than Fred play DM role to cover and detect the ball passing line.
Also, we need McT for the dog fight.

Also, can we take out Ronald in first 11, he did nothing except complaining and diving. Yes, he has some special moment but we need a player to export some power, speed and energy regularly.
We always look like a 10-men team in the pitch.

Last edited:

Offsideagain

Ref fooled by all the theatrical diving as usual from Madrid. If it were me, I wouldn’t let Pogba anywhere near the team for the rest of the season on tonight’s showing. Bring on the kids for some pace and desire. Ronaldo looked his age tonight which is sad for such a great player. Rest the poor old sod for Saturday.

MonkeysMagic

Good result, awful performance. But you take these in two-legged ties even though away goals has low weighting now. Simeone will bring his shithousing tactics to OT but our fans and players need to rise above and put them under pressure.

Raincool165

The performance was better in the 2nd half, especially when the 3 subs were on. Matic had some good passes that move the ball forward. Ronaldo was good since he dropped back and motivated the teams, but his finishing was nowhere to be seen in this game. AWB's tackles inspired me to watch.

In the first half, no player had the guts to move the ball forward, to dribble or beat the man. Passing backward was in their mindset.

RedIan

Pathetic first half. Slow ponderous sloppy, just really bad.. No idea what’s wrong with Rashford.. Pogba poor.. Maguire playing like a lame cart horse.
Secons half you felt a slight improvement which gained some momentum once the subs came on.

Good assist from Brouno and Elanga kept cool and although a bit of a scuff shot hit it back across the keeper.

Rode our luck but scraped a decent result on a poor showing for 70minutes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd go:

Matic
Fred McTominay
Pogba Ronaldo Sancho​

In the home leg

Someone

Something
Good result. Don't think we were outplayed as some say we were. They outmuscled us the first half and scored a great goal, and the players were unnecessarily nervous, once we got our shit together we were the better team. All in all a fair result. Think they're beatable at OT.

MiracleInMadrid

Those last 10 minutes or so was some of the most focused, I've seen us be in the recent years. We looked aggressive, composed and concentrated.

Chased down every single ball, even without any sort of chance of winning the ball. Atletico was forced to give away a throw in or a bad pass up the field, where we quickly retained the ball.
Won a few little free kicks. Played it forward and actually tried to create a last chance. No sign of playing it safe and fall back.

In the end it seemed like Atletico just gave up, and actually played it safe to prevent us from scoring again. It's funny what happens when you keep on attacking and pressing even when you have a decent result in your hand.

Encouraging stuff really. My biggest take away from this match.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So pleased for Elanga, must be great to stick it to those take-a-knee-booing twats.

Nickelodeon

Rashford should really not start anymore. Fred shouldn’t be playing in the McTominay role. A RB should play RB. Do this, we could be better in the second leg.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good result after a very very poor first half. Can't figure out the mentality of this team. Thankfully, we didn't fall apart. We need an army of sports psychologists. Lack of confidence really holding us back. Look at how we played after we scored.

Happy for young Elanga. Telles should start instead of Shaw for the next leg.
Rashford needs to sort his head out. Never seen him so damn poor. Needs to look up before passing.

Lindelof was good, so was Matic when he came on. Actually all the subs did well. Lingard doesn't count as he was on for only minutes.

Relieved. Let's see what happens in the next leg.

UpWithRivers

Why we always think we can play Pogba as a double pivot is beyond me. Or even two 8's and Fred. Just about works with Mctominay against bottom half teams but not against good teams. What a shock we brought on anther dm and we got better! I would never have thought it would work. If we do that against liverpool or city they will destroy us

r0663664

Worships Man City
I just watched the 2nd half and there is no quality from every player. Passes and crosses were misplaced, no communication that you questioned these are professional paid million. Rashford was particularly poor, looks worst than championship player. If there is a rating system, he will be under performance review and eventually let go. Utd should see if they can buy Felix, what a player. I wonder Liverpool will buy him to replace Salah. Hope we have a look at him to replace Ronaldo and Cavani.

tomaldinho1

Good result, when I think of how disjointed we’ve been and regularly get dominated by mid table PL teams I actually think they’re pretty average. Bit more composure from the likes of Bruno and DDG in key situations and it wouldn’t have felt so pressured in the first half.

Very worried for Rashford, just looks like the fire’s gone. Wasn’t fussed about being subbed, just looked like he didn’t care.

Flying_Heckfish

Atleti are so bad. La Liga's star really had fallen. Their goal was pure class, it can happen anytime. But other than that, we limited them to an extent - how many proper saves did DDG have to make? It wasn't a classic "park the bus" from them, they threw on attackers and wanted the second goal.

We were by no means good though, we had possession but no idea what to do with it. A number of poor individual performances added to that. I feared at 1-0 we'd see another collapse, but it didn't happen.

Strange selection, too. If you're going to play with 3 at the back, or a fluid formation, surely AWB is your man. They had so much fun down our right side.

I'm absolutely made up for Elanga as well. What a moment for him, he shut those idiots up in style.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
What a result that is. Truly shocking for an hour. Our much maligned midfield can have had few worse nights than that. On the plus side, Ralf is developing a real knack for impactful substitutions. Every one of them made a difference again tonight. This shower are stubborn but more lacking in quality than us. We should be grabbing this one by the scruff of the neck from the whistle at Old Trafford.

Judas

Open to offers
We were absolutely awful. Fantastic result. Should never have gotten anything out of that.

Usual suspects letting us down. But thank feck we manage to salvage something from it.

PoTMS

The day Lingard and Rashford feck off from this club will be a joyous one.

SER19

Atletico battered us with 1 shot on target. Should get the Brentford manager for next leg and they'll really rip us to bits

Ole'sgunnarwin

Don't think we could have as many players play so bad on the night, and by the end I thought we could have won it.

Subs spot on again.

We won't be anywhere as bad at old Trafford.

Favourites now
Yeah cause we've been excellent at home in big matches.

dave2528

Think some need a reality check, that was a great result, was always going to be difficult.
We aren’t a great team and played a better team, simiones shit tactics costs them
He got Ralph’d.
I think we got the subs spot on but the initial 11 was baffling.

Also, I don't agree that they're a better team. They were spent in the second half and ripe for the taking. The ref definitely helped them out by looking the other way as they fouled the shit out of us.

Do agree it was a great result considering how bad we played until the subs came on.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Atletico Madrid 1:2 Man Utd