CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 February 2022

Cantonagotmehere

Great result after horrible 1st half.

I'd take so many of their players over ours on effort and attitude alone.

So happy for Elanga! (and Ralf!)

No clue who Pogba and Bruno thought they were playing in the 1st half. Awful.

Alek M

Da manic one
Ronaldo continues to be shit, ineffective, terrible. Rashford too.

Bruno is our new Scholes. Lindeloff showed some balls. Varane was quiet class. Well done Elanga.

Scrappy game. We have forgo how dirty European games can be. They were trying to frustrate us. We fell for it often. We need more composure. But all that comes from experience. Tricky tie. They looked dangerous on the flanks.

we missed McTttttttteee

BestRed

More than feckin delighted to take the draw and move on after that shockingly brainless & ballless 1st half performance.

captaincantona

McTominay changes that performance tonight. Aggression is what was missing in that first half and Fred as a lone six is an absolute disaster.

git_united

Ronaldo continues to be shit, ineffective, terrible. Rashford too.

Bruno is our new Scholes. Lindeloff showed some balls. Varane was quiet class. Well done Elanga.

Scrappy game. We have forgo how dirty European games can be. They were trying to frustrate us. We fell for it often. We need more composure. But all that comes from experience. Tricky tie. They looked dangerous on the flanks.

we missed McTttttttteee
Hmm, I thought Bruno was poor but kudos to him for the brilliant assist. And Champions League Varane looked shaky. I don't know if it was Fred throwing everyone off with his weird positioning (we did look miles better when Matic came on though Atletico had burned themselves out at that point) but I thought Varane was rather suspect at times.

Chief123

Surely no one has any doubt that we will let atletico have their best game of the season and revive their year after some poor form. All their players out of form will shine tonight.

Tonight’s headlines

Ronaldo is finished
Simeone masterclass
Suarez strikes old enemy
Pogba punished for dwelling too much
Sancho a shadow of his Dortmund days
What has happened to Rashford?
Despite a inconsistent season, Felix shines
I nearly had a Mystic Meg moment in the pre-match thread.

git_united

Not sure if this point has been made yet but Atletico had the extra day and we played on a wet and soggy pitch. I think we did well to manage effort levels in the first half (not that this excuses the misplaced passes and atrocious decision making at times) and finish stronger than them in the end.

Hester_manc

Bissaka, Matic and Elanga changed the game, when they came on.'

And it is actually a great goal United scored. All the way down from Maguire to Fred to Sancho to Ronaldo to Fred again to Bruno and then Elanga - every player = 1-2 touches until Bruno

Last edited:

Dookingham United

Chelsea win 2-0 can focus on solidifying their league position. Easily through to next round.
Liverpool win 2-0 away to Inter who are a good team. Can now push on to challenge for the league title. Easily through to next round.
City absolutely destroy their opposition, Sporting, 5-0 so they can focus their energy on the league and play their youth on the return, thus improving their whole squad.

Man Utd manage to play the worst football professionals can manage against a team in the most woeful form who we should have beaten. We get a 1-1 that we do not deserve in any way and will have to play at 100% to get through to the next round as always.

My god, I am so sick of all these fake footballers. Rashford needs to do some work experience in Sansbury's to see what normal life looks like, because he is heading for that if he doesn't pick up his game. Absolutely dreadful again.

philipos

I was at the match and we were really poor. A 1-0 loss would have been a good result considering how we played so a draw is fantastic.

Bruno and Rashford were particularly bad but at least Bruno set up the goal.

We can’t be as bad in the return but then we keep saying that!

Orange Tree

I feel like we always play shit when Bruno, Rashford, and Ronaldo starting. They don't play well together.

Ralf got his starting lineup totally wrong. Should have just started with a proper RB.

giggslover

Horrible display...but we'll take the points. I know Rashford and Maguire were particularly horrible, but Pogba needs to start stepping up in BIG games, not just shining against Southampton and Brighton...

RC89

We didn't play our best BUT we did limit them to only one shot on goal in their back yard so I'm hopeful we can do a little better in the return leg.

Need to start with Matic and Fred in midfield. Maybe Pogba LW and Sancho RW. Pogba struggled to make an impression tonight in that position.

TheRedHearted

you forget the two cross bars? Those were far More dangerous than a shot on target
Their first cross bar was their attacker heading the hall so poorly it went in the opposite direction of goal and hits lindelof in the head / face. You can’t honestly call that a dangerous attempt can you?
I was at the match and we were really poor. A 1-0 loss would have been a good result considering how we played so a draw is fantastic.

Bruno and Rashford were particularly bad but at least Bruno set up the goal.

We can’t be as bad in the return but then we keep saying that!
I imagine we are gonna keep getting worse and worse in CL games, until we play in the final with a single pass not completed, but a clearance from de gea and a defender slips and elanga scores the winner

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Ugly win, but a win. I'll keep taking ugly wins until a new manager comes in (Ten Haag?), has a good clearout of deadwood, and change the mentality of a few players. Am I the only one who thinks Ronaldo brings not a lot to the club. I know he has scored some great goals but, he has missed double that I reckon.

Skåre Willoch

Ugly win, but a win. I'll keep taking ugly wins until a new manager comes in (Ten Haag?), has a good clearout of deadwood, and change the mentality of a few players. Am I the only one who thinks Ronaldo brings not a lot to the club. I know he has scored some great goals but, he has missed double that I reckon.
I've got some news for you, mate.

bosskeano

poor first half....Maguire and Rashford were shocking. I just can't believe how poorly Rashford is playing right now as his form is so bad. Maguire got caught ball watching the cross and never looked over his shoulder to see if a player was making a run. That's a simple defensive responsibility for a CB on a second ball into the box as you step out. Just poor. YOU CAN NOT PLAY POGBA in the same midfield as Bruno. Jesus....can't wait til we ship his ass out of this club.

Great result in the end though coming away from madrid at 1-1 full well knowing just how defensively strong that team is.

croadyman

Satisfied with a draw, however did say they would play better than many expected and so it proved

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Good result.

Think people are being a little harsh on maguire and the goal, it was just a great cross from them so difficult to defend and it wasn’t hmeven maguires man initially basically that goal was very hard to defend against, if anything Fred should have just stood him up rather than jump in, that wouk have been the best way to stop that goal.

As usual the subs made an impact, Matic carrying the ball well giving us an outlet rather than hoofing the ball or Pogba giving it away. Elanga obviously with the goal.

Performance wasn’t great, quite enjoyed the game. Worth getting up at 3am for, for once. I think we can beat them at OT but we will see.

Ole'sattheWheel

Don't get the people saying we were lucky. Awful first half from us but did atletico really create anything other than their goal in the first half?
The one that hit the bar off of lindelof was a cross which took 2 ricochets and could have gone anywhere.

How many times did we play defensively like that under Mourinho and lose the game or drop points? Were those teams "lucky"?
No. You see this alot with atletico in the CL in recent years. They get one/two goals and try to shithouse their way to a win and end up getting knocked out.

Even after their 1-0 you saw them instantly start to try and start the shithousing. Marcos llorente was saying something to Shaw after fouling Pogba and shoving him to try to get a reaction.

Pathetic team - hope we twat them at OT with their most hated player of all time Ronny scoring a hat trick against them.

SirMattlives

It’s a cup tie — an away draw is ok, we essentially get to play a one off at home. Take it. Disappointed in some players though…Pogba poor in tackle and first touch, Rashford unable to do the simple, but we survive again…Am not assuming anything about the second leg, just glad to be in a winner-takes-all scenario.

Marcus

Not sure if this point has been made yet but Atletico had the extra day and we played on a wet and soggy pitch. I think we did well to manage effort levels in the first half (not that this excuses the misplaced passes and atrocious decision making at times) and finish stronger than them in the end.
This is a great point. It was on my mind as well. I thought we would finish weaker, but we closed off the game stronger.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Chelsea win 2-0 can focus on solidifying their league position. Easily through to next round.
Liverpool win 2-0 away to Inter who are a good team. Can now push on to challenge for the league title. Easily through to next round.
City absolutely destroy their opposition, Sporting, 5-0 so they can focus their energy on the league and play their youth on the return, thus improving their whole squad.

Man Utd manage to play the worst football professionals can manage against a team in the most woeful form who we should have beaten. We get a 1-1 that we do not deserve in any way and will have to play at 100% to get through to the next round as always.

My god, I am so sick of all these fake footballers. Rashford needs to do some work experience in Sansbury's to see what normal life looks like, because he is heading for that if he doesn't pick up his game. Absolutely dreadful again.
Have you considered supporting one of the other sides?

LDUred

I like Tom Waits, Simeone however….
Simeone always reminds me of 90s era Danny Trejo, especially around the time he did Heat with De Niro and Pacino. They have similar personalities, too.

Abraxas

That...wasn't much fun. Generally our games have been decent to watch but it feels like Atletico suck the life out of football matches despite having some talented players. We weren't good but it sets us up.

Foxbatt

I haven't seen the game. Should we have played 3 at the back? From what I am seeing here Lindelof was on the right side and didn't do offer much in attack.
Did we play 3-5-2?

Belisarius

Good result.

Think people are being a little harsh on maguire and the goal, it was just a great cross from them so difficult to defend and it wasn’t hmeven maguires man initially basically that goal was very hard to defend against, if anything Fred should have just stood him up rather than jump in, that wouk have been the best way to stop that goal.

As usual the subs made an impact, Matic carrying the ball well giving us an outlet rather than hoofing the ball or Pogba giving it away. Elanga obviously with the goal.

Performance wasn’t great, quite enjoyed the game. Worth getting up at 3am for, for once. I think we can beat them at OT but we will see.
I agree it is harsh to fault Maguire too much for the goal. Felix is running through at full speed, the cross is timed to perfection so that he is onside and it leads him perfectly so that he takes the header at full stretch. Then the header goes in off the upright. It’s almost impossible to defend except, as you say, in the buildup. If I was to blame anyone it would probably be Bruno who turned the ball over very easily two or three times just prior to the goal, contributing mightily to our being pinned in our own end.

Kopral Jono

Good result.

Good summary. Regardless of how terrible Maguire has been I agree that the goal wasn't his fault. I also agree that despite the horror show in the first half it was quite an enjoyable game overall. I particularly liked the way we stood up to their antics in the second half, rattled them a bit and probably just about deserve to go home with something. We showed mettle for two consecutive games now and that gives me hope.

As for the return leg, we should be favourites.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Atletico Madrid 1:2 Man Utd