PL L FA Premier League

Brentford 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 August 2022

Newtonius

Wasn't ETH supposed to be different why are the same players always stinking up the place, this is 3 managers now and the smell lingers.

He takes his new signing off to leave Maguire on the pitch. McTominay had the worst performance i have ever seen from a CM and he comes on ahead of Donny and even Garner... Shaw was crap at Brighton as well, like what is going on? Its not like you can't even see the difference when these players come on, Varane, Malacia, Donny and maybe even Garnacho should have been there from the start godamnit its not like it can get any fecking worse.

Last edited:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Hate the players, this is also on eth too. After having full last seasonal review by RR and the video analysis of a full preseason he thought its a good enough squad that he spent the entire summer on one player and a free signing. His reaction to drop mcfred was drop mctom for fred only to reverse it by half time. During his last 4 months here at some point in all those training sessions he must have looked into DDG and slabhead and convinced himself "we should play from the back, oh yea that would work great, because this is exactly like eredevisie". Shoot them all.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
It's crazy really how glaringly obvious the massive clear out and buy in was and is, and this should have been obvious to ETH at the start of the Summer. With a little under 2 weeks to go until the window closes and not looking even remotely like signing FDJ, if our transfer quota remains as it is, this will be the worst transfer Summer performance we have had since the Premier League began given how desperately we need quality players. In all my years watching United, I have never seen a situation like this where so many first team starters need to go. It's both mesmerizing and bewildering how this only seemed to be obvious to those outside the decision making realm of Manchester United.
Someone in match day thread got so pissed off he calculated we paid this cnuts 217mil last year. The actual number was was given with two decimal values. That told me, its over for this club.

Grizzly B

Is it possible that ETH has been told to play certain players to protect their value, I mean it’s the only explanation for the same people playing week after week.

Something has to change,the fringe / youth players simply can’t do any worse so what does he have to lose at this point?

FerociousCorgis

Can start by binning him and recalling Henderson, has had the look of a proper deer in the headlights between the sticks this season
feck Henderson. You want ddg replaced that's fine but don't sub one not good enough gk for another. Why don't we bin Mctominay for Gibson again

ElCuddlos

Is it possible that ETH has been told to play certain players to protect their value, I mean it’s the only explanation for the same people playing week after week.

Something has to change,the fringe / youth players simply can’t do any worse so what does he have to lose at this point?
I'm not sure it is about protecting their value, more protecting their psyche. If Maguire was dropped and stripped of the captaincy as his performances deserve, his reputation, and with it, his confidence might never recover. It seems like successive managers can see that he is on a precipice from which his career might never recover and are trying to play him back into form.

Mind you, if ETH is being told who to play by the board then I can't see him lasting very long.

croadyman

I'm not sure it is about protecting their value, more protecting their psyche. If Maguire was dropped and stripped of the captaincy as his performances deserve, his reputation, and with it, his confidence might never recover. It seems like successive managers can see that he is on a precipice from which his career might never recover and are trying to play him back into form.

Mind you, if ETH is being told who to play by the board then I can't see him lasting very long.
So what if his form never recovers

NICanRed

I know I've said it before but.....
I was watching the Shitty game earlier and the strange thing is that they pass the ball to their own team-mates! How radical! We pass the ball into open spaces or directly to the opposition. It seems to make a difference!!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
De Gea was terrible but credit to him for not hiding. Did the same last season too, takes responsibility. Same can not be said for the rest of the players.
Agreed - although I wish we had a keeper who didn't hide from crosses!

RedAlways78

Are we trying to set a new record for the worst start to a season. Already we are 6 points behind City and -5 GD. That game was hard to watch.

stoinz

I thought some of our forward plays were ok. Crispier passing, and more movements. However when defending, its quite alarming how easily we are out muscled, even Shaw who I always thought were pretty strong gets outmuscled. Fred and Bruno another 2 that kept constantly losing the ball. And it is not just this game only.

We get outmuscled too easily and too slow to recover. You can see the difference it made after the changes. Although I don't really agree with Martinez coming off for Varane as I rather see Maguire come off. I thought Martinez did well though.

Think RR alluded to this in his assessment before that we have technical players but not enough physical players.

IRN-BRUno

Managed to avoid the result until I could watch the game this morning... bad mistake.

Can't even get angry at these performances anymore, just sat there and laughed at how poor it is. Desperately need to bring in 3-4 players who can actually show some leadership on the pitch.

UTD_Since_1978

Where do I start with this absolutely awful performance & result?

I've heard of not changing a winning team but ETH seems to think that is ok to not change a losing as well, 1 change & that was an obvious one.

Garnacho & Garner should start matches as despite their inexperience at this level they can't do any worse than the ones that do start every week.

Early days but ETH is not doing any better than Ole.

That 2nd goal, why do we keep messing with the ball & losing the ball 15 yards from our goal thus giving our opponents an easy goal, just hoof the ball up to half way line, at least if lose the ball on the half way line our opponents still have some work to do to score.

They are still not really playing as a team.

Liverpool next, I dunno what starting XI ETH will pick for that game but I'm pretty sure it will be mostly the same that he has picked for the first two games as they have the experience to deal with Liverpool that's how ETH will probably think, just like Ole before him.

As for any new signings coming in to make the starting XI better, well, the names being talked about does not feel me with any great confidence that's for sure.

This season could quite easily be the worst ever PL season for UTD. Losing 4-0 against a team like Brentford is a relegation kind of result.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
At this point, the concern has to be where is the turning point for the season. Next week is a case of just lubing up, relaxing and accepting the shafting to save on the chafing.

The next two after however are two away games with Utd already on a losing streak of 8 away losses. If that doesn't yield at least 4 points, it could get into F De Boer territory.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
For years our rivals have built skyscrapers and we've just been concealing cracks with lead paint on a crumbling palace where we've also stuffed the old foundations with plastic bags filled with cat shit. Yes I wrote this instead of watching the last few minutes so it's overly dramatic but still ffs.

Under Sir Alex, when we lost a previous game, I felt confident that we'd win the next one. The opposition were in trouble because the players wanted to WIN. They hated losing. So we'd go out and keep playing until the job was done. Everyone went on about Fergie Time and our late equalisers/winners but the reality was that United were just too damn stubborn to know when they had lost.

This current team, though? Five minutes into the game and things don't go perfectly? Their heads drop like fecking stones. They accept defeat because they're fecking useless. Brentford didn't even play much in that second half and we still did nothing. It was bad enough when City did it last season...

Every player needs to feck off. And the board and owners who have allowed our team to get to this point over the years and let it keep happening need to feck off as well. None of you cnuts are United. I don't even know what it means but, whatever, eat a bunch of spoons.

Biggest club in the world?! We've fallen so far behind our rivals because the club has accepted "below average" as the standard for ten years. From background staff to players we've been coasting, letting players build their "brand" and useless, clueless executives leeching a wage from the club for barely doing the minimum in their job descriptions, whilst other teams just breeze past us because they have experts in the right senior positions - which should be the real bare minimum requirement for the actual people put into those jobs.

And Liverpool are up next? feck me. Even when Liverpool were shite they were still proud of the shirt, their history, their retired legends. These fecks won't even bother. They'll just feel sorry for themselves, tell the press that it's not good enough and they must try harder, and buckle under the Scousers as soon as Salah pounces on the first misplaced pass. FFS, WE used to be their yearly Cup Final - that's how important it was for them to try and beat us, because they actually had pride. There's feck all chance of us having the same response now that the tables have turned.

Because these clowns are not Manchester United, they're Bruno8 (and whatever brand names the other players have) who just happen to play for United. If they actually gave a shit about the club they wouldn't buckle like this all of the time. feck the players. feck Murtough. feck the Glazers. feck all of them.

Bottom of the table. Exactly where this shower of shite belong.
I honestly believe we are going to have to go down for things to get better as that will if something drastic happens remove these owners when sponsor after sponsor pulls out, its up to us fans now to Unite and force a removal by any means necessary

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wasn't ETH supposed to be different why are the same players always stinking up the place, this is 3 managers now and the smell lingers.

He takes his new signing off to leave Maguire on the pitch. McTominay had the worst performance i have ever seen from a CM and he comes on ahead of Donny and even Garner... Shaw was crap at Brighton as well, like what is going on? Its not like you can't even see the difference when these players come on, Varane, Malacia, Donny and maybe even Garnacho should have been there from the start godamnit its not like it can get any fecking worse.
I have got to the stage of thinking he is trying to prove how crap some of these players are to make the board get their finger out. He isn't the first one to do this either, and it didn't work then. The managers have gone and the players are still there.

Redfrog

This isn't about managers, its not even about player ability.

This is an entire dressing room that has completely collapsed under the pressure of playing for the club.

All of them.
That, 100%.
It’s kind of hopeless if we don’t recruit 10 players as said Rangnick.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I have got to the stage of thinking he is trying to prove how crap some of these players are to make the board get their finger out. He isn't the first one to do this either, and it didn't work then. The managers have gone and the players are still there.
Nah, do not think this is the case. If he was an ex-player with large respect from the fan base/media then maybe he could pull something like this; although Olé couldn't. However, no way is he trying this as he will just be labelled a bald fruad.

DomesticTadpole

Nah, do not think this is the case. If he was an ex-player with large respect from the fan base/media then maybe he could pull something like this; although Olé couldn't. However, no way is he trying this as he will just be labelled a bald fruad.
If those quotes from him about not wanting them to play out from the back in all games is true and he told them that, then he is finding out he has a team that is as thick as pigs***.

Also think we have too many players who emotionally unravel which does not help the team. They think it is passion when it is just being childish. You need fight, but also calm heads to make the right decisions.

I know we had players in the past who moaned at refs etc, but they were good players, that was to create an intimidating atmosphere. This lot are not good players and some will know they are not up to scratch and are feeling the pressure.

Last edited:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Still lost for words. I had to switch my phone off last night to stop the constant abuse from mates :( .

ETH has one monumental task of sorting this lot out. I have full faith in him but leave little with this squad.

Zlatans Knee

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. We do it with this group of players.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Oh come on, really? This deluding coping is already happening two games in. How mad do you think ETH is? Purposefully scuppering results to prove points? He's asking for the sack if that conspiracy theory was true. The reality is he's totally misjudged everything and has to make rapid changes now.

DomesticTadpole

Oh come on, really? This deluding coping is already happening two games in. How mad do you think ETH is? Purposefully scuppering results to prove points? He's asking for the sack if that conspiracy theory was true. The reality is he's totally misjudged everything and has to make rapid changes now.
He knows who he cannot trust now, so yes he will need to make some decision. The club needs to bring players in and I would be blooding a couple of the kids as well. Not five minutes at the end of a game. Give them 30 minutes to see what happens. They will definitely put more effort in as they will have something to prove. The current players think they don't. He has five subs to use, use them not as a time wasting exercise.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If those quotes from him about not wanting them to play out from the back in all games is true and he told them that, then he is finding out he has a team that is as thick as pigs***.

Also think we have too many players who emotionally unravel which does not help the team. They think it is passion when it is just being childish. You need fight, but also calm heads to make the right decisions.

I know we had players in the past who moaned at refs etc, but they were good players, that was to create an intimidating atmosphere. This lot are not good players and some will know they are not up to scratch and are feeling the pressure.
I don't disagree, the word I use to describe this current iteration of Utd is spineless. However, ETH doesn't have the pull to pull something like this off I.e. call the players out, show them for what they are and keep fan and media backing in doing so. I mean, let's be real Jose didn't, even with his success record at the time, and nor did Olè (club legend); although tbf Olé indulged them. So, there is no way ETH gets away with this kind of approach, no chance. If he does go down that path, he'll quickly be labelled the new De Boer and sacked by October and certainly by the WC.

Imo, the only one's that could've potentially got away with that sort of root and branch exposure of the playing staff were:

Keane
Scholes
Giggs

However, I use 'could've' because, since their playing days, they've all been tainted in one way or another.

Giggs - with all his off the field antics. As a result, the press and large section of the fan base would be after him the knives as soon as he was announced.

Keane - with his career stats as manager and antics on Sky. If he came in, there would be too many apologists for the players to say he was at fault and the leaks would get even worse; which the press would lap up. I mean with this team and club and his understanding of what it means, I wouldn't be surprised if he kung fu kicked slabhead in the face, rather than the tactics board.

Scholes - possibly is the one that still has a chance. However, his gumpy old man persona that he has presented as a pundit and his spell at Oldham would mean he would quickly be labelled a dinosaur who cannot connect to the players and again the players/press would lap it up in form of leaks.

Tbh, the only way out of this for ETH is to stabilise and then rebuild gradually.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

:lol:

They are thick as ten planks! So so stupid. I mean, I know that the pressure is intense at United, especially nowadays, but my goodness, some common sense can still be deployed.

It's like DDG with that second goal. You see Eriksen getting closed down, common sense tells you don't fecking go there but he passes it straight back to guy under immense pressure. At least, don't take that chance when we're 1 nil down already. I've seen him make that exact same daft mistake over the years. It's like his brain freezes, he's dumb, blind, or a combination of all three. I dunno.

Also yes, emotionally the players cannot cope. This is why I bang on about a sports psychology department. There must be some mechanism that can be used to get these fools in the right frame of mind somehow.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The shape passing out the back is not good enough, it’s way too stretched for players who aren’t comfortable on the ball.

Two midfielders was the first thing I expected when eth came on board, the fact that we’re this far in and nowhere close to signing one of note has been a major let down. Our lack of midfield has been an issue since the end of Sir Alex’s tenure and it cannot continue if we want to have a chance at a major trophy ever again. Sign proper midfielders ffs.

The attack I thought could hold up for a year, but they’re all clueless. I can’t believe we’re desperate for Martial to get back to full fitness. Also Antony is so not the player to sort this out, so I hope someone gets firm with Eric to get some effective attackers.

DomesticTadpole

:lol:

They are thick as ten planks! So so stupid. I mean, I know that the pressure is intense at United, especially nowadays, but my goodness, some common sense can still be deployed.

It's like DDG with that second goal. You see Eriksen getting closed down, common sense tells you don't fecking go there but he passes it straight back to guy under immense pressure. At least, don't take that chance when we're 1 nil down already. I've seen him make that exact same daft mistake over the years. It's like his brain freezes, he's dumb, blind, or a combination of all three. I dunno.

Also yes, emotionally the players cannot cope. This is why I bang on about a sports psychology department. There must be some mechanism that can be used to get these fools in the right frame of mind somehow.
It shows they have no composure. Somebody who has it, thinks about what is the correct pass. We pass first, think later and then blame the guy who loses the ball even though it was an impossible pass for them to deal with. That is why there is so much arm waving. If arm waving were a sport we would be world champions.

croadyman

Managed to avoid the result until I could watch the game this morning... bad mistake.

Can't even get angry at these performances anymore, just sat there and laughed at how poor it is. Desperately need to bring in 3-4 players who can actually show some leadership on the pitch.
Who would want a part of this right now

Player Ratings

2.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 434 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Brentford 1:2 Man Utd