PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 August 2018

JMack1234

The thing that is bothering me, is that we're near meltdown mode because we've lost to Brighton (terrible result no getting away from it) if, or much more likely when, we hit a bad run of form that knocks us out of the title race. It's going to go off.

Canagel

I've gone beyond blaming individuals now. It's nothing to do with the defence or the players. We can't attack and it's been the case for as long as I can remember. That's why we keep losing to small teams. They don't respect us going forward so they'll come at us. We didn't have any sustained pressure in the game. 3 shots in 90 minutes. Against Brighton. A team with no pace on the break. How is Glen Murray stretching our defence? If we had them pinned back in their half they weren't going to worry us at all because they had no pace. I looked to Brighton and saw a well drilled team. The tactic was get the ball 2 on 1 out wide and stretch our fullbacks. What was our plan? We used to throw the kitchen sink at teams. Not anymore.

Bailly and Lindelof will get stick but we've seen the same with Smalling and Jones as well last season. Theyve should be relaxing on the half way line and snuffing out counters from there. Too many times we don't play on the front foot, can't string two passes together, don't move the ball quickly and then moan about individual errors. Of course you will get caught out. It's a consequence of our approach. IF they are still making mistakes after we make this change in approach then by all means get rid and the manager should be backed in that but no Maguire or Alderweireld would've changed anything today.

We saw the team we wanted. Everyone wanted Bailly and Lindelof and they played. Everyone wanted Fred, Periera, Pogba midfield. We got that as well. It just doesn't matter who we put out now because we play the same every time. I have seen no improvement from last season. We had Smalling, Matic , Lingard and Sanchez and still lost games like this. It doesn't matter who plays. We still look most dangerous with the direct approach to Fellaini.

shaky

I've found a positive after the Brighton game..... we've gone from 7/1 to 25/1, I'm avin some of that. We'll get a whole lot better than the rubbish performance we sat thru yesterday. 25/1 is huge odds for us!
I'm more optimistic than most people around here and even I wouldn't touch 25/1 right now. Not that I don't think we'll improve a lot in the next few months but City have raised the bar so high it's going to be nigh on impossible to compete with them again. We've already dropped 3 points. It was after Christmas last season by the time City had dropped that amount.

RedDevil@84

The thing that is bothering me, is that we're near meltdown mode because we've lost to Brighton (terrible result no getting away from it) if, or much more likely when, we hit a bad run of form that knocks us out of the title race. It's going to go off.
You could switch off from the caf

Puritanica

Supports
Ubon UMT
Guys calm down!
United is already 3 points ahead of Arsenal after only 2 games played!

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I’m starting to turn into a there is something systematically wrong with us rather than simply the players aren’t good enough.

We don’t have any semblance of style, press, tough to break down. Quick passing dribble, counter attack.

What do do we do all week? Hey just find Pogba and he’ll flip in a lobbed ball and we’ll see what happens? Is that really the best we can come up with?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I've gone beyond blaming individuals now. It's nothing to do with the defence or the players. We can't attack and it's been the case for as long as I can remember. That's why we keep losing to small teams. They don't respect us going forward so they'll come at us. We didn't have any sustained pressure in the game. 3 shots in 90 minutes. Against Brighton. A team with no pace on the break. How is Glen Murray stretching our defence? If we had them pinned back in their half they weren't going to worry us at all because they had no pace. I looked to Brighton and saw a well drilled team. The tactic was get the ball 2 on 1 out wide and stretch our fullbacks. What was our plan? We used to throw the kitchen sink at teams. Not anymore.

Bailly and Lindelof will get stick but we've seen the same with Smalling and Jones as well last season. Theyve should be relaxing on the half way line and snuffing out counters from there. Too many times we don't play on the front foot, can't string two passes together, don't move the ball quickly and then moan about individual errors. Of course you will get caught out. It's a consequence of our approach. IF they are still making mistakes after we make this change in approach then by all means get rid and the manager should be backed in that but no Maguire or Alderweireld would've changed anything today.

We saw the team we wanted. Everyone wanted Bailly and Lindelof and they played. Everyone wanted Fred, Periera, Pogba midfield. We got that as well. It just doesn't matter who we put out now because we play the same every time. I have seen no improvement from last season. We had Smalling, Matic , Lingard and Sanchez and still lost games like this. It doesn't matter who plays. We still look most dangerous with the direct approach to Fellaini.
Speak for yourself, I don’t want lindelof anywhere near the team. He’s no way even close enough to be ready for this level

The Purley King

I agree with all of this.

It pains me to say it but I think Jose will be gone before Christmas. The players just aren't performing for him. The tactics are dated. Woodward's face at full time said it all.

If Jose had just come in and it was his second competitive game, we'd all (well most of us) be fine with the performance and result because we'd think it was a hangover from the previous manager. But Mourinho has been in the Utd job long enough and I still don't see what kind of football we're trying to play? Is it counter attacking football? High pressure? It's certainly not attacking football and we're never in charge or controlling the game. We're Manchester United not Carlisle United!

Against Leicester, we were sat far too deep for most of the game. Against Leicester City, at home. City, Spurs, Liverpool and probably Arsenal and Chelsea, wouldn't sit that deep at home against Leicester City. We don't scare teams in the tunnel before kick off anymore. We don't demand any respect from the opposition anymore.

Then we have Jose's press conference. He's always coming out with unnecessary remarks. Some fans on here and Twitter think it's the 'ABU' media. It isn't. It's because Jose creates news and drama for himself. Look at Poch's interviews, or Pep's. They just get on with it. They talk about the football a bit, smile, and then it's over. No dramas to report and it's boring so media doesn't report it. Jose is always having a pop at someone, always moaning about something, always being so damn negative both off the pitch AND on it.

Utd fans are tired. We don't expect to win trophies every year. But we do expect to be entertained once in a while. Under Jose it's been extremely gloomy a lot of the time and this has to change.
Why do you say it pains you that mourinho will he gone?
Let’s be honest we’ve been fecking boring to watch under Jose bar a few games. In 2 years.
I will celebrate when he goes. Ideally tomorrow.

The Purley King

When your team is less than the sum of its parts that is down to one person only. The person running the show. True in football and in other areas of life too.
No doubt lots of people on this forum are people managers in their job. No doubt everyone has to deal with difficult people and you need them to keep doing their job. Mourinho’s predicament is no different but he is failing. Badly.

dmode

And to think that City's best player is injured for 2 months or so...

Not long ago, we used to capitalise on th:(se things.

I hope not that this will be a long season... a very long and boring one.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I didn't noticed and seems to me nobody did, that before penalty kick was dangerous play on fred.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Would concur. For the players we have, we should be dominating a team like Brighton.

Rolaholic

How this side still can't manage to consistently attack teams or have any sort of cohesive identity/style in year 3 is beyond me.

Everything still comes down to our RB hopefully picking out the ST's head or the LW having to beat 3 defenders to create space.

Other than that,when all fails it's plan B: launching long balls towards Fellaini and hoping for the best, just like the first season and LVG ffs...

You don't need a 60m defender to come up with a result against fecking Brighton & Hove Albion...

We look as clueless/aimless and toothless as ever and it's hardly due to a lack of talent,this is most of the same squad who when arsed managed to come back from 2 down to win at the Etihad against the supposed greatest team ever assembled just a few months ago

We all deserve much better than stone age football with the amount of money spent on this squad while every other top side in the country play a progressive and attractive brand of football. It's become beyond embarrassing frankly

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Loads of my work colleagues tried to talk to me about the United defeat today and for the first time ever, I just wasn’t arsed to even talk about it. Reached the point of indifference with this current set up.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Does anyone believe we are in a title race? City's odds to win the league are lower than ours just to finish top 4.

JMack1234

Does anyone believe we are in a title race? City's odds to win the league are lower than ours just to finish top 4.
Maybe not. Which is terrible because, the only reason Mourinho is managing us is because historically he's won the league multiple times. If he's not going to win the league here and not even getting close then he has to go in my view.

3pwood

Where are the "it's just the pre-season" guys? The warning signs were there, the manager didn't try to play football even in the pre-season, why would he do something different now? it's almost pointless to complain about players.

Tyrion

This is a little embarrassing.

It was a dismal effort from United and Balogun said the game would probably be played at a quicker pace when Brighton visit Anfield on Saturday. “Some of the lads have just asked me that too and I said I had expected the Premier League to be quicker, but they told me this is always the kind of game you play against United,” the Nigeria defender said. “They like to slow it down a little bit sometimes. Liverpool is going to be completely different. I know how [Jürgen] Klopp likes to play. It’s going to be a lot quicker and a lot more intense.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...n-shocked-at-manchester-uniteds-slow-football

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It looked like some of the players had been drinking or not slept at all. Or maybe they overtrained the couple of days before the game? It was weird.

Kyriacandro

If these players are so good like everyone is saying we should be beating Brighton with out being coached.

Ashley R1+O

Even though it was an alarmingly poor loss, I felt cathartic reading the over the top meltdown while I was on business in Asia. I don't know why, reading everybody losing their shit on here two games into the season somehow made the loss feel less important.

If Mourinho's lost the playing group then they have to go, the full bloot out of the club. Don't care who it is and how many of them it is, sack the entire squad and take L's until the next window opens. Get the feck out of my club if you aren't going to try you overpaid assortment of responsibility shirking pussies. Disgraceful behavior.

DownRiver

This whole set of tweets deserves it own thread!

This infuriates me the most as it always happens.
If we played like other decent teams tactically, then this team is not as bad it is now

Litch

Is Jose still here? Nothing is going to change whilst he still is. Football for me is about being excited before the game and coming away from it being entertained. It's bad enough losing but losing playing this way is unbearable. I can't see how it's going to change even if we bought other players in. Players arrive here having played well for their respective teams and turn to shit....

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
This whole set of tweets deserves...

If we played like other decent teams tactically, then this team is not as bad it is now

Thx for posting this. This guy is really interesting in his analyses

C3Pique

This whole set of tweets deserves it own thread!

Shocking stuff, this is basic coaching. I always supported Mourinho despite the attractiveness of his play as his sides were always well coached and tactically sound, this is just a shambles.

It's almost as if he's screwing with the team to prove to the board that we should have bought a better ball-playing CB.

I know Bailly and Lindelof are 'his' signings, but did he actually choose them or were they recommended by our scouts and just signed off by him? I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushed on him as 'budget' options, hence his desire to chase Alderwerield as 'his' choice.

Craig Ward

This pretty much is the most sensible post I've read in multiple threads.

We can sign who we want, no player will influence a thing until our mentality and style of play change.

Jose sets us up so wrong and has done since he joined. I dread watching us, we are so bad.

And the 2 CB's everyone is blaming in defence of Jose - he signed them both!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Now in our third season under supposedly one of the best managers in the world and the only time we look like we have any strategy or idea is when we're lumping it long to Fellaini trying to salvage a point against relegation threatened teams. It's not that it's not good enough, it's actually disgraceful. Then you consider how many players are unhappy and are under-performing or low on confidence. Mouriniho is failing on nearly every level of management.

One thing he was doing well on was improving the results through his shithouse methods but that clearly won't last long when the performances are so bad - things will get toxic like they always do for him.

walkinhop

This is great because it's demand that keeps people on their toes performing. Get complacent with phat salaries and it all goes meh

Name Changed

weso26
I think people need to realise that we are not in the title race.

Craig Ward

Shocking stuff, this is basic coaching. I always supported Mourinho despite the attractiveness of his play as his sides were always well coached and tactically sound, this is just a shambles.

It's almost as if he's screwing with the team to prove to the board that we should have bought a better ball-playing CB.

I know Bailly and Lindelof are 'his' signings, but did he actually choose them or were they recommended by our scouts and just signed off by him? I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushed on him as 'budget' options, hence his desire to chase Alderwerield as 'his' choice.
Budget options? They cost 30 million each!

Both not the finished article granted, both require coaching to be improved, something a defensive coach like Jose is known for.

Some element of blame on the players for individual mistakes, but our whole set up isolates players so its likely to happen. Jose is accountable for tactics/style of play/coaching the players - all of which are not good for us at the moment

Canagel

This pretty much is the most sensible post I've read in multiple threads.

We can sign who we want, no player will influence a thing until our mentality and style of play change.

Jose sets us up so wrong and has done since he joined. I dread watching us, we are so bad.

And the 2 CB's everyone is blaming in defence of Jose - he signed them both!
Now I'm hearing one of Brighton's new players saying he expected the pace of the PL to be more quicker. He was just told that United pass slowly and Liverpool next week will be more intense. How embarrassing is that? You don't have to be special to beat us. Just an organised plan is enough. I'm sick of it really.

MikkiB

I find it very frightening that the players of today don't seem to have the natural respect for the club, the badge, the shirt, the fans. It seems it's more about the tats, the hairstyle, the ear rings, the sun glasses, the cars, the big ear phones and so on. Makes me sick actually!
The Brighton display wasn't worthy of United. It's fair to lose a game if the players have performed up to their best - or at least tried their best. But when players don't care or come unprepared physically or mentally, that's another story. And sadly that's the story these days. Or at least in my opinion.
Don't think you can put the blame on the manager for such lack of professionalism, but then again... at the end of the day, Mourinho is responsible for the result(s). So if he can't get the players to perform their best, he has to go. That's a given. No matter who's to blame.

C3Pique

Budget options? They cost 30 million each!

Both not the finished article granted, both require coaching to be improved, something a defensive coach like Jose is known for.

Some element of blame on the players for individual mistakes, but our whole set up isolates players so its likely to happen. Jose is accountable for tactics/style of play/coaching the players - all of which are not good for us at the moment
So less combined than Van Diyk or what Spurs wanted for Alderwerield, or Leicester for Maguire. 30m is a lot of money yes, but by todays' standards for top CBs its the definition of budget.

I'm still furious, to be honest. That first half was as bad as anything I can remember from a United team. I could only bring myself to watch the second half this morning, and it wasn't much better. Bad times.

RedorDead21

So less combined than Van Diyk or what Spurs wanted for Alderwerield, or Leicester for Maguire. 30m is a lot of money yes, but by todays' standards for top CBs its the definition of budget.
Jose could have just bought one then......with the combined sum.....I'll defend Jose as much as the next person but lets be honest here. I put 50% of whats playing out here on him. He's better than this. It's an insult to his CV. He needs to be more Jose and settle on a team and stop trying to please players who frankly don't care much for him (i.e. Martial).

Pav1878

Who else has the sinking feeling this is the beginning of the end? I don't think any one factor is to blame in this mess, but Jose has to take some responsibility, and the players need to look at their own attitudes.

I feel Jose won't last the season and we will be back to square one again, whilst watching a very good Liverpool or City side lift the title.

The recruitment has not been right for whatever reason and we can point to DoF's and the lie, but look at Liverpool. They have signed players who have the right attitude,; Keita looks immense, as do the rest of their stars, and they aren't predisposed with the celebrity side of football, like some of our players. They seem to be signing players who will get their down and work hard for the team, not buckle under the pressure. (How many times did Fred pull out of a 50-50 on sunday!?)

Who else has the sinking feeling this is the beginning of the end? I don't think any one factor is to blame in this mess, but Jose has to take some responsibility, and the players need to look at their own attitudes.

I feel Jose won't last the season and we will be back to square one again, whilst watching a very good Liverpool or City side lift the title.

The recruitment has not been right for whatever reason and we can point to DoF's and the lie, but look at Liverpool. They have signed players who have the right attitude,; Keita looks immense, as do the rest of their stars, and they aren't predisposed with the celebrity side of football, like some of our players. They seem to be signing players who will get their down and work hard for the team, not buckle under the pressure. (How many times did Fred pull out of a 50-50 on sunday!?)
I'm not sure, but obviously there is that risk. It does feel like we are at a key point now; the point where things have to improve fast, before events go beyond Jose's control. All is not lost, but he needs to take control of events and get a good run of results. Ultimately that's the only thing which will stop the gossip and bad press.

RedorDead21

It will be City by some distance.....Liverpool will be no where near them!

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd