PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 September 2020

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Could not be happier with the result. Could not be more terrified by the fact that Brighton was the better team and we didn't really deserve to win, considering the entire game. It is not just the CBs, but of course they are utter rubbish.

How many seasons can we start with heartbreaking fear, terror and feeling of demise?

Hester_manc

Bruno is involved in all 5 goals:

1-0 Bruno commits the penalty kick

1-1 Bruno takes the free kick leading to goal.

1-2 Bruno makes an assist.

2-2 Bruno does not cover March properly and March scores.

2-3 Bruno scores from the penalty spot

pav1790

A hilarious win like that, when I had lost all hope. I am going to enjoy it. You miserable gits can moan all you like.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's simple, Ole always pick his starting 11 when they're available no matter if they're match fit or not.

We've seen him do it down the stretch last season when they were all knackered but he still went with the same starting 11 whenever possible.
That was understandable last season given the lack of match sharpness from our bench. This time, however, it's our starting XI demonstrating that whilst players like van de Beek and Lingard have demonstrated more match sharpness.

If this is the selection that Ole will stick with (our best XI no matter what), then, we'll have a tough time next week, too.

GiddyUp

You won't see worse football this weekend than the right side of our defense. Absolutely shocking defending from Wan Bassaka. This team needs a serious kick in the fecking arse and that can only come from Ole or Woodward pulling off a few signings this week. I don't have much faith in either at this point. I am empty and relieved at this result. Top 4 will be an almighty struggle if we don't get our shit together.

RedAlways78

Another penalty to save us from a draw. Not good. We can’t rely on getting penalties. We need to be much better.

I will still take the win.

Hester_manc

Pogba and Bissaka were really poor. I can not help but wonder if it matters that they both just had corona. One may be weakened for a while after the disease

Get young talent

Played like coward.

Slow tempo, No movement, Sitting too deep to protect Maguire and Lindelof lake of pace, Recovery ball always happen in your own half forcing the offensive players to run to much distance before any goal opportunity.

A complete joke

Bestofthebest

Got to ask if Solly March was wearing invisible paint. Time and time again he appeared from nowhere, completely unmarked and could have scored/created more goals. Also, we should not be playing out from the back whilst we have so many players that can’t pass a ball nor find space to receive it. We are ponderous when playing forward apart from Greenwood and Rashford whilst Martial was useless today, fell over at every opportunity. Ole ( or his replacement ) has huge problems with this squad.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
So your suggestion is that: We criticize the team, so they play better? Do you think they need to be told that this wasn't a great performance?

Or is the goal here to criticize the team so they fire the manager?
Or is the goal to criticize the team so that we get new signings?

Which one are you trying to accomplish here?
Or the alternative is that we don’t criticize the team and look at just the result as you seem to be suggesting. I prefer my approach that will get a reaction from them and we see a better performance next game, rather than a false sense of accomplishment.
What luck? So when he wins he’s lucky and when he loses it’s because he’s a bad manager? No clearer way to show you don’t know what you’re talking about.
What luck :lol:. The opposition outplayed us in nearly every department and even broke records in terms of the amount of time they hit the crossbar. The only person that seem to not have a clue is you.

Web of Bissaka

Beautiful!

Comeback win and comeback goals aaahhh, a game where we reach a new milestone too, so good.

The overall shit performances against Brighton is forgiven. Can't believe we can't dominate this, never a comfortable minutes.

:devil:The mentality to rise back up and freaking winning it is United-ish, well done.

El Zoido

What luck :lol:. The opposition outplayed us in nearly every department and even broke records in terms of the amount of time they hit the crossbar. The only person that seem to not have a clue is you.
It was nothing to do with this game, learn to read. The insinuation was that Ole was a lucky manager overall, NOTHING to do with this game at all. Very clear pattern that whenever we lose it’s always “we’re badly coached, Ole doesn’t know what he’s doing” and other such crap. And whenever we win, people call him lucky. Why is it he gets blamed when we lose and gets excused when we win? The bias from our own fans is absolutely pathetic and embarrassing.

Russky14

Well missed the excitement and what seems a dreadful performance (again). I was more fruitful today with my blackberry foraging!:smirk:

Anyway, I watched my home town team Lincoln get battered by the Scouserpudlian 2nd string bar VVD. Even though I hate the chuffers it was impressive. In fact Lincoln did well in the 1st half really two blinders, a give away & a deflection i.e. scored with 4 of their 6 shots.

So whats my point. Based on what I have seen (putting aside fitness), their 2nd string was light years ahead in terms of cohesiveness compared to our managed shit show. Ole & coaches need to be replaced let alone, our defense and other issues. And thats' without my favourite topic - the REGIME.

What a sad sad mess we are.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Or the alternative is that we don’t criticize the team and look at just the result as you seem to be suggesting. I prefer my approach that will get a reaction from them and we see a better performance next game, rather than a false sense of accomplishment.
This is such an exhausting approach to literally anything: Complaining.

You're spending energy only bringing negative energy to the club and expect that they will somehow understand that they're not playing well enough and will be motivated by negativity.

This is by far my least favorite thing about supporting a football team: Infighting. Fans will turn on their own team in a second if their lofty expectations are not frequently met. Reminding the players that they are only backed by the people they play for if they perform well.

I can't imagine a more motivating world to live in.

Faetheshire86

First Maguire in Greece, Greenwood in Iceland and now this. 11 of our players caught on tele stealing 3 point in broad day light. Shameful

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Irrelevant

Superb coach
Maybe. But, I'd still like someone who has won something. I know that hasn't worked out with Van Gaal and Mourinho for us, but somehow I think the mentality to win a league or a competition is damn necessary to be instilled by the coach in the dressing room. Apart from tactics and system of course.

AndyMUFC

The only way is up after these first two performances, it was one of the most undeserving wins I've ever seen :lol:

Hopefully the three points can kickstart our season.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's 3 points. Going to be glass half full as performance/result last week ruined my weekend.

AWB was awful, hoping a one off (that bad) but he does seem drawn to the ball too easy and lack awareness of entire back line and opponents. Ole should fine him a grand every ntime he gets within 3 yards of a CH... it'd have cost him a fortune today! Wish we'd gone for Milenkovic 2 years ago, last year... now.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
As a United fan that was a fun and ultimately very rewarding game to watch!

it’s obvious that we are still struggling with fitness and form because we were denied any semblance of a pre season. It is what it is.

So it’s very heartening that the team had the character and resilience to somehow fashion a win out of it.

On to the next.

shabz

It seems like no one in our defence trusts each other. They're all massively compensating by covering so closely and forfetting they have their own responsibilities. It's grassroots stuff atm and someone needs to take charge of the back line.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It seems like no one in our defence trusts each other. They're all massively compensating by covering so closely and forfetting they have their own responsibilities. It's grassroots stuff atm and someone needs to take charge of the back line.
De Gea tried that and was not to bad with it in the first half, but in the second half, he became quieter.

Super Hans

I didn’t even feel disappointed when they made it 2-2. Felt like the very least they deserved. Still, it was quite funny that we nicked a winner after seeing their celebrations.

mu4c_20le

us?

204Red

Get f*cked Brighton :lol: wankers the lot of them!
Only post on here worth anything.

Sod off Brighton and all of the Brighton apologists on here.

They played well... and they lost because a defender handled the ball at the worst possible moment. (and fyi that was a better call than the VAR peno that went against us last week)

Cry your fake tears now, you cheeky wanker.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not often I do a knee slide across my kitchen floor... so this game did have that going for it.

abailey123

We’re just massively undercooked - we looked gassed after 60 minutes.
Hopefully another week of intense work for the first team will see us in better shape next week.
What a mad game - but 3 much needed points.
Massive week for the club to get some more bodies in!

Number32

I'm in the boat of Ole in brigade, but this poor performance was clearly his failure.

1st mistake: starts Lindelof over Baily
2nd mistake: VDB is too good to sit on the bench
3rd mistake: Martial had a bad game, but why he was still on the pitch for 89 minutes
4th mistake: Pogba had really poor 1st half, He should be replaced by VDB.
5th mistake: AWB was the worst player on the pitch, he just marked Maupay everywhere but leaving his zone wide open. After switching to 3-5-2, he didn't told AWB to stay at his zone and put the eyes on their wing back (their goal scorer).

ChaddyP

Bruno is involved in all 5 goals:

1-0 Bruno commits the penalty kick

1-1 Bruno takes the free kick leading to goal.

1-2 Bruno makes an assist.

2-2 Bruno does not cover March properly and March scores.

2-3 Bruno scores from the penalty spot
We are playing 5 at the back and Bruno is at fault for not covering the wing back?? Meanwhile AWB and Bailly are nearly holding hands in the box

Fully Fledged

Poor performance. Good win. Move on to the next one.
I still don't understand how you can win a match after the final whistle is blown but hey that's the way football is right now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Never say die, especially against Brighton...............

We'll get annihilated in Champions League if we won't upgrade the devensive tactics and squad overall.

Tony247

When they equalized maguire was completely heartbroken, holding his head. I don't know but I felt for him. Good response by him within a min.

Fully Fledged

We are playing 5 at the back and Bruno is at fault for not covering the wing back?? Meanwhile AWB and Bailly are nearly holding hands in the box
All match the player pulling off to the right edge of our penalty area was completely unmarked. When they brought Bailly on I thought good now they can move over one and have cover at the back post but no every player was still drawn to the ball like a bunch of kids playing football and the guy on the edge of our box was still unmarked. .

Hughie77

Got away with 3pts. Is it Utds blame, Brighton could not finish there efforts? No, if we finished ours we would have been in the Europa league final! That's how it goes sometimes, it was ok in parts not in others. We're off the pace, it shows. VAR, I still don't like it, but it seems to be being used as I should be, main ref looking at it and making the decisions, even so it's still suggestable by the individual refs, ie Martin Atkinson, wrong call.

Ole has got to get the press from the front right, it's not right, to easy to play through midfield against us, causes problems when ball is lost, as our CB are a bit off. BIALLY Has to start he's quicker than the 2 we got, AWB was caught out of position as was Shaw.
Improvement needed. 3pts that's all that matters this early in season.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Poor performance overall but a win is a win. Unpopular opinion but both Brighton and Palace had more 'Pre-Season' rest and more 'Pre-Season' games than us and it showed. Both teams much sharper than us. I think sometimes it's easy to forget, fitness and technique are two entirely different things. While we in theory have the better players, they had the legs.

What was a little alarming was how easy it was for them to pin us back and more often than not create a 2 on 1 against Wan Bissaka and Shaw. Bruno wasteful today but players like him are high risk high reward. Matic for me was MoTM, very assured and confident. Pogba was still off the mark and I wonder if this a covid hangover .

Onto the next game

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 358 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd