FA W FA Cup Semi-Final

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 April 2023

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Feared the worst for those pens. De Gea everyone knows doesn't save any, whereas Sanchez seems a lot bigger and better at them.
Bruno, our best taker off the pitch too.

Delighted to scrape through. Could tell March didn't fancy one. A wide attacker in a 4-3-3 going 7th!?

Ref took until 90mins to book one of their players. Allowed Mitoma and Welbeck to utterly crunch De Gea. The sort of challenges anywhere else that would be a definite yellow, but you for some reason get licence to get away with it on the keeper as you were "going for the ball".

Chicharo

Top notch shithousery from Weg. Right before March took the penalty.
Scored a goal and jinxed March. You gotta love him. :D
He's a great player to have in the squad, but only if you have a top striker and use Wout once in a while. Not like this
Was pretty good today though, you just can't rely on him to score goals.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Everything considered, I'm absolutely delighted with that. They're an excellent side, we're absolutely knackered, we're coming off an abysmal capitulation away in Europe on Thursday night and we're missing the heart of our defence. Plenty of heart on display there, not much inspiration but to get it over the line was a great achievement. Also, it wasn't our stars for once, Casemiro was brutal, Bruno, Rashford off. The likes of AWB, Dalot, Lindelof we're key for us today and that's no bad thing. Delighted for Lindelof.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Reliving the shoot-out….

Casemiro: get in!
Dalot: get in!
Sancho: get in!
Rashford… get in!
Sabitzer: get in!
Weghorst: get in!

March skies it….
Lindelof: yessss!!!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Everything considered, I'm absolutely delighted with that. They're an excellent side, we're absolutely knackered, we're coming off an abysmal capitulation away in Europe on Thursday night and we're missing the heart of our defence. Plenty of heart on display there, not much inspiration but to get it over the line was a great achievement. Also, it wasn't our stars for once, Casemiro was brutal, Bruno, Rashford off. The likes of AWB, Dalot, Lindelof we're key for us today and that's no bad thing. Delighted for Lindelof.
Bruno was behind our best stuff and probably the only one who looked likely to score for most of it.

I think it's Rashy and Casemiro we need to play back into form post haste.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reliving the shoot-out….

Casemiro: get in!
Dalot: get in!
Sancho: get in!
Rashford… get in!
Sabitzer: get in!
Weghorst: get in!

March skies it….
Lindelof: yessss!!!
This doesn't even come close to reliving it.

Remembering who'd missed big pens before, brown pants when thinking Sanchez had saved Sabitzer's pen initially, before sheer relief to see it in the net.
Thinking surely Weigy doesn't know how to score with 2 in 30+ games.

Before suddenly thinking hang on, March as an attacking wide player up 7th? He does not fancy this.

Robin Gooch

Strangely low quality match.

I think if Evan Ferguson was fit then Brighton would have won comfortably.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Got to be destiny to win the same double some fans were mocking Liverpool for winning last year. :lol:

Lights Out

Half glad we’re out of the Europa now - 2 less Thursday night games to contend with. Hopefully we can rest and recharge.

AWB was outstanding today.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It wasn't great, but considering they were favourites (which I still think was kinda mad) and everyone was terrified they'd be all over us considering how knackered we our, I was actually relatively pleased with that performance. We were the better side for spells, and probably created the better chances over 90 minutes...but by ET we were completely dead on our feet, having played the most games of anyone in Europe whilst missing our two main CBs and both our best forwards (and 3rd best midfielder) just back from injury... The context to all that really can't be overlooked, despite how knee-jerk people are.

So to keep up a relative professional standard and dispatch our pens well to get into another final is great. Now we're out of the Europa we can just focus on top4, hopefully get it done with a couple games to spare, use them to rest the big guns and hope Garnacho and one of Martinez/Varane are back for the final. All quite optimistic tbh after the doom and gloom.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
“We were the better side” Brighton player

“it wasn’t pretty but United in cup final” Sky

Of course, if Brighton had won…

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Bruno was behind our best stuff and probably the only one who looked likely to score for most of it.

I think it's Rashy and Casemiro we need to play back into form post haste.
Rashford looks like he's carrying an injury and playing with injections. Not good

Tincanalley

Remembering who'd missed big pens before, brown pants when thinking Sanchez had saved Sabitzer's pen initially, before sheer relief to see it in the net.

Before suddenly thinking hang on, March as an attacking wide player up 7th? He does not fancy this.
Thanks for the upgrade!

Lights Out

Who? Half the forum :lol:
Nobody with a brain did that mate, I’m not having it. Happy for you to prove me wrong though.

The only digs I remember were that they were in 3 finals and didn’t score a goal in any of them.

Tincanalley

I though March, played well, etc bound to bury it.

youngrell

He's actually faurly good at set pieces. He scored a banger against Sporting when he played for benfica.
Yeah I remember that free kick when we were in for him. Just didn’t expect a top corner penalty under pressure from him. Very impressed.

Fitchett

Pawson was completely corrupt today, as he always is against us.
Brighton 17 fouls 1 booking.
United 13 fouls 3 bookings.
Ratios of 17:1 and 4:1.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Delighted to win even on pens. Fair play to the lads & management. Great pens, especially from Sancho & Wout. Never doubted Victor. Good bounce back after Seville.

Crimson King

Accidently stumbled into the Brighton subreddit for the match a minute ago when I was perusing my phone on the bus.

It was basically a page of abuse for Bruno.

Weird bunch.

KjaAnd

Am I the only one who thought the ref was abysmal? The Brighton players were allowed to stop counter attacks constantly without being booked. Mitouma somehow managed to avoid a second booking for the tackle on de Gea which would almost certainly have been a straight red if Casemiro did the same. Also, Rashford didn't look offside when we was dragged down by Veltman. That could have been a red too.

The most frustrating thing, however, was that none of our players put any pressure on the ref.

troylocker

Great to put the shootout curse behind us and very happy to keep a clean sheet, but I think we struggled a bit at creating chances. Good to have Bruno back.
Let’s give Spurs the same treatment as Newcastle gave them today.

Wheato

It wasn't pretty, and we knew it wouldn't be. So many first teamers out injured, players coming back from injury, players playing through injury (Rashford/Shaw/Martial) Players not match fit (Casemiro/ Erikson/ Martial)

And on top of all that, we have made it to the end of April still alive in 4 competitions, a match every couple of days. More games than ever before, with a World Cup thrown in. The players are shattered.

And yet, we are through to the final of another domestic trophy.

The only saving grace is that the final is TWO MONTHS away. We could have recovered some fitness and form by then. City players could be mentally on their holidays. We can only hope.

Still a great a season, Champions League qualification and a couple of trophies. And a competent manager who knows what he wants. And the skills to accomplish great things.

Member 125288

Ref took until 90mins to book one of their players. Allowed Mitoma and Welbeck to utterly crunch De Gea.
It wasn’t that so much as booking Shaw for a pull back, and then allowing four or five of their players to do the same without punishment.

And don’t me started on Rashford being hauled down when through on goal and Pawson the useless cretin gives a free kick to Brighton.

Clearly had, or knows someone who had, money on that game and should be investigated.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Anyone doing that instantly on ignore
And I get told I am negative :lol:. Just look at the penalty shootout thread in the forum.

Some people really cannot admit when a goalkeeper is not at fault, especially DdG.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Great to put the shootout curse behind us and very happy to keep a clean sheet, but I think we struggled a bit at creating chances. Good to have Bruno back.
Let’s give Spurs the same treatment as Newcastle gave them today.
We’ll be lucky. We rarely score more then 3 goals let alone 6 :lol:

York

AWB's challenge on Hematoma in the 32nd minute was the stuff of legends. How he was able to sneak his foot in there with such perfect timing was really something to behold.

RopersReturn

AWB's challenge on Hematoma in the 32nd minute was the stuff of legends. How he was able to sneak his foot in there with such perfect timing was really something to behold.
Absolutely, I think AWBs come on leaps since ETH has been in charge, todays game showed all the nuances of a very good right back. Hope he stays and continues to flourish.

Man of the Match

Victor Lindelof image Victor Lindelof 63% of 313 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 262 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw