PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 26 December 2017

poleglass red

Burnley played like we set up when we play a big team. They did to us what we did to arsenal

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Any source for his injury? The miss aside, he looked great in his last game and is having a very good season. Weird that he was not utilised for this one. Injury makes sense.
Seen it reported here and somewhere else. Hopefully he's back for the next game.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Woodward needs to get off his loathsome spotty behind and make some impactful signings.
He is hardly picking the targets.
As far as I am concerned the club have been great when it comes to money for players.

Where they have failed, epic failed, is in picking management and succession planning.
Fergusons major mistake was not having a succession plan to sure continuity when he retired.
His replacement should have been his assistant for 2 or 3 seasons before he stepped down.
The club board of directors should have seen to the succession planning too.

Ban

Why is Lukaku defending set pieces at all. It's a disaster, keep him out of the box.
Also his movement in the sense of being at the end of passes and crosses is bad. Run behind defenses.
We need a winger, badly.. so so badly. Those are not the only problems of course. I just hope this is not a start of some big crisis.
Lingard should have started and he should definitely start on Saturday.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As far as I am concerned the club have been great when it comes to money for players.

Where they have failed, epic failed, is in picking management and succession planning.

Fergusons major mistake was not having a succession plan to sure continuity when he retired.
His replacement should have been his assistant for 2 or 3 seasons before he stepped down.
Agree. Our board has backed all the managers. Their main fault is in the succession planning which results in a disjoint between managers' tenures. But in terms of finances, we fans and our team's managers should consider themselves lucky to be backed so well, and the owners have every right to question the lack of return.

Red Royal

First time I've been go a live game this seen and absolutely shocked at Lukakus lack of movement. Seriously think it is time for Rashford to get a run of games starting against Saints.

Jazz

Why is Lukaku defending set pieces at all. It's a disaster, keep him out of the box.
We need a winger, badly.. so so badly. Those are not the only problems of course. I just hope this is not a start of some big crisis.
I think if we hadn't salvaged something from the game it would have spiralled into a crisis. But yes, Lingard should definitely start.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Apart from young and Pogba no one has a good cross in them. Pogba plays in middle and so that leaves us just young.

Shaw and rashfords delivery was not even going past the first man - it was pathetic to be honest.

And who exactly was in the box Apart from Lukaku? Lingard and Mata. Yet, we aimlessly crossed one after another.

Yes, I do u understand they were parking the bus, but come on- there should be a way to break the bus other than the aimless crosses ?

amolbhatia50k

Also he's movement in the sense of being at the end of passes and crosses is bad. Run behind defenses.
Yes, please keep him on the periphery of the box or something. Usually tall forwards are very useful defending in the box. Lukaku for some reason is terrible at it and we keep persisting with it as it costs us.

Acquire Me

Bale is absolutely no leader. Hazard is prone to petulance. Neither are leaders. I am sure there are better people out there. I hope we stop getting flashy players, and only those with a backbone who won't let their heads go down after the 1st setback.

And Jose also needs an attacking coach on his team. It's a big weakness of his that is easily rectified with the right personnel. I feel it doesn't matter how many attackers we buy, we'll always have the same problem if we don't provide the right environment for them to be a cohesive unit.
I am not thinking a Roy Keane type of leader, but a player who can lead the attack. Someone the other players know will be there every match. Every good team has one or two players who will go in front. Zlatan was the closest to that type of player for us last year. Our opponents will always fear players like this. So thats why it could be a player like Bale, Kane, Hazard, Dybala...

tony54

Agree. Our board has backed all the managers. Their main fault is in the succession planning which results in a disjoint between managers' tenures. But in terms of finances, we fans and our team's managers should consider themselves lucky to be backed so well, and the owners have every right to question the lack of return.
Sack Woodward and the scouts and whoever is in charge of defending and attacking tactics.

Ban

Yes, please keep him on the periphery of the box or something. Usually tall forwards are very useful defending in the box. Lukaku for some reason is terrible at it and we keep persisting with it as it costs us.
It's as if his brain freezes when defending.

Trophy Room

Subpar to say the least. When things go badly anything and everything gets blamed and our players are suddenly perceived to be championship quality. The City game has affected us in many ways. We just have to refocus and figure out what we are playing for this season because the league is done.

There is a heck of a lot of negative energy surrounding this club which is being made worse by what City have been doing. It's a really shame, the magic of United has well and truly disappeared. We are just another big club at present. Jose has done a good job in my opinion but I'll be surprised if he stays at United for long. It's going to take a few (or many) more years before we are consistently where we want to be.

Saying that lets try and win the champions league!

amolbhatia50k

It's as if his brain freezes when defending.
Today he didn't even really move towards the ball. After the horror show vs City, I don't think I can deal with any more goals coming from his mistakes. It's pathetic really to be so indecisive in your own box.

Bojan11

First time I've been go a live game this seen and absolutely shocked at Lukakus lack of movement. Seriously think it is time for Rashford to get a run of games starting against Saints.
Rashford? :wenger:

Did you watch him play today?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How with our size are we so terrible a defending set pieces? And with that why do we continue to hit cross after cross when it 2 against 6 in the box? Surely the manager has to do better.
Maybe it's the defender's who need to do better?

Ban

I think if we hadn't salvaged something from the game it would have spiralled into a crisis. But yes, Lingard should definitely start.
Yeah. It's good we salvaged a point although it's a bad result. Our top 4 rivals are coming closer. If we don't beat Southampton it will definitely mean we're in crisis.

marko goalo

The Lukaku problem seems two fold, he rarely gets the service, but he fluffs his chances on many of the occasions he finally does get the ball. If he wants to be a top striker he has to be putting those half chances and moments away. How many tines has he mistimed a kick/header, or booted the ball straight at the keeper this season?

Im willing to give him a bit of leniency this season because the lack of service is so obviously problematic as we don’t play with wingers, but he does need to improve his movement and finishing around the box, because it’s generally very average.
Also think the lack of service he's getting is because the players around him don't trust him either. Would rather play a safer pass than see Lukaku screw it up again

sugar_kane

Even though the last two results have been poor I think our style of play has improved which has been in no small part due to Pogba, Mata and Matic.

Seems like we’re a lot less inclined to just hoof it upfield although that could just be down to the teams we’ve been playing.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I've seen Referees pointing at their watches when players waste time taking goal kicks and other set pieces, surely that means they're indicating that time will be added on?
Most probably . Thought you meant if a team is just taking the
piss and playing keel ball. Like City did receny at Old Trafford.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

When does this happen in England? Liverpool 30 years ago?

Who is going to be an assistant for 2-3 years that would be the calibre to take things on? We saw with Giggs a lot of people doubted his ability to take over.

TRD

Because they played a defensive game. Closed Pogba out of the game when they could by using two players on him, forcing Matic to come forward and try to creat things. They came out and closed us down with pressure, cutting off passes and channels. They kept a tight defensive line between their defence and midfield making it really difficult to play through the middle so we had to resort to crosses and balls over the top when they eventually did come up the pitch out of their own half. They played without a striker for large parts of the game. Their keeper had a great game. Thats why. It was a game betqeen United and Burnley, you cant talk about the game without talking about Burnley. You probably didnt see any of that, you just think we didnt score a million goals so our players must be shit. Football is about tactics and Burnley played the snatch and grab to perfection today.
And this is exactly what a strong team faces. A side with well organised defense. We have to break them. Last Saturday Spurs won 3-0 at Burnley and even when they lost they their top scorer(injury) and a defender(suspension), we were unable to win at our own ground which is considered as fortress. City also won 3-0 against Burnley. Both Spurs and City had few attempts than us but still won as they were able to break the defense. We were just playing unnecessary long ball and playing sideways passes.

Yes it is a game between two teams but I only want to talk about United and not Burnley so I will just talk about United.

leontas

Some thoughts from watching the game live:

1. Shaw is turning a corner - thought he played well today
2. Zlatan is too slow for the Prem and unfortunately does not offer anything in attack
3. We have probably the tallest team in the league and still can’t defend set pieces properly
4. What is Jose thinking playing Mkhi, Mata and Lingard all at the same time? They occupied the same space most of the time and our attack was very disjointed
5. Rashford offered very little going forward - have to say he’s decision making has regressed significantly
6. When is our luck going to turn? How did Lingard’s first chance not go in?!

AshRK

Select from the list of excuses below:

1- If it was any other season we'd be #1
2- Not much Mou can do with these players
3- Shit referee

We always have some excuse on here.
And funnily rarely any one has given any excuse and have rightly bashed our players/manager. You are over thinking

Jazz

I am not thinking a Roy Keane type of leader, but a player who can lead the attack. Someone the other players know will be there every match. Every good team has one or two players who will go in front. Zlatan was the closest to that type of player for us last year. Our opponents will always fear players like this. So thats why it could be a player like Bale, Kane, Hazard, Dybala...
Ok understood. However they still need to have a back bone. Our teams have been suffering from a lack of tough mentality so we can't only look at the talent of any incoming player, but also their mentality.

And most importantly, we need to hire personnel to get the best out of our attackers. It's one of the key things missing. Wish someone would have a diplomatic word with Jose. He's got almost everything except an attacking nose, and he should get someone in for that as no one expects him to know everything.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Was there today, we were utter garbage the first half. Rashford had an absolute stinker, we are in dire need of wingers.

I really don't know how Burnley didn't get a man sent off today and how it took him so long to book pope?

Anyway, where the feck was martial? How can we have such a threadbare squad in midfield/forward options?

NYAS

It’s liberating not giving a feck about the league anymore.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Some thoughts,
Pogba is overrated as hell,
Lukaku is simply not good enough,
Ibra should retire,
Rashford is also overrated,
Jose was not the man we needed to get us back to the top.

Man of the Match

Jesse Lingard image Jesse Lingard 87% of 600 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw