FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Chelsea 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 18 February 2019

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
It was the perfect reaction after the PSG game, a very controlled, tenacious performance producing 2 wonderfully worked goals. Still things to work on, especially keeping possession and totally nullifying the opposition. Great defending and poor final ball meant it didn't hurt us last night but it's something that needs improving.
Herrera was just magnificent all night, he's like a new signing under Ole.

OldPop

There's more than one way to play football and whilst for me Martial and Rashford are in front of him, that's not to say he can't contribute. Don't get why people wouldn't want the beast of Rom that we've seen last season and the World Cup.
Of course, everyone knows that there are different ways to play and everyone wants Lukaku to perform. The point is that he hasn't done it for a long time even though he has had many chances and we can't afford that, then patience ends. But, as already said, he was better now than he had been for a long time, I hope he continues with it.

Zlatattack

Great match really enjoyed the end to end nature of it. Slowed down a bit in the second half, understandably from our perspective but it was a great game to watch, clinical finishing, Herrera, Pogba, Rashford were a class above, Lindelof, Smalling and Matic had a great game too.

Even Luke Shaw who i think looks huge (maybe im really biased against him for some reason) but performed really well in defence.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So I had to work late and missed everything but the lat 20 mins. Listened to it on (the truly awful) Talksport where among other things get calling Herrera "ONDER" and Chelsea's French midfielder "Conte". Gordon Strachan and Alan Brazil.. it's like a (very) poor man's Laurel & Hardy. But what I gathered from the commentary and the bit I saw, Shaw, Smalling and Lindelof were immense but it sounded like Herrera was outstanding. I've said it before, we he plays well, United play well. The goals were brilliant but I still think rashford needs to learn about holding up the ball and giving others time to get up with him - there were a number of occasions in the last 15 were he gave the ball away needlessly. Over all, can't believe just how much we dominated them and gave then their arses in a bag! Jose for chelsea, anyone?

crossy1686

career ending
So I had to work late and missed everything but the lat 20 mins. Listened to it on (the truly awful) Talksport where among other things get calling Herrera "ONDER" and Chelsea's French midfielder "Conte". Gordon Strachan and Alan Brazil.. it's like a (very) poor man's Laurel & Hardy. But what I gathered from the commentary and the bit I saw, Shaw, Smalling and Lindelof were immense but it sounded like Herrera was outstanding. I've said it before, we he plays well, United play well. The goals were brilliant but I still think rashford needs to learn about holding up the ball and giving others time to get up with him - there were a number of occasions in the last 15 were he gave the ball away needlessly. Over all, can't believe just how much we dominated them and gave then their arses in a bag! Jose for chelsea, anyone?
Did you not see the second goal??

DCP

Romero - Actually only had to make two saves, and one of those he only had to make because he made a massive meal of the first one

Young - Does he get a pay bonus every time he gifts possession back to the other team by playing an aimless ball up the wing to no one?
Smalling - Good game. Get a haircut
Lindelof - Seems to have suddenly learned how to defend crosses...or possibly Chelsea are just useless at them
Shaw - Didn't notice him much. Probably a good thing.

Matic - The ultimate master of nearly deserving to be sent off.
Herrera - Kind of like the performance against PSG, except if it went well instead of extremely badly
Pogba - Good assist, good goal. Needed to be where Mata was in the second half though. Well I say that, I'm not sure where MAta was in the second half.

Mata - What is it he was supposed to be doing? I only really noticed him just before he came off when he started running round kicking people. Not being too critical as the game didn't really suit him from about half hour onwards, but if we're going to play on the break we need players to allow us to do that effectively.

Lukaku - Effort was much better. Still just kind of looked like he spent the entire game in the state where you fumble about not quite sure if you're about to fall over
Rashford - Great game. I love how he was able to stand still for about 5 seconds before crossing the ball to Pogba, without any Chelsea player bothering to maybe close him down or something.

Subs:
Sanchez - Ran around a lot. Spared being blamed for every bad thing we did due to the fact we won
Pereira - Subbed on to carry on doing whatever it was Mata was doing
McTominay - Came on with about 5 seconds to go, still managed to earn specific praise from Herrera for his efforts

Pedro - Sir divesalot
TV coverage - favourite part was when they cut to a 10 second clip of Zola not sitting on the Chelsea bench, due to the fact he wasn't there.
Corners - We are useless at defending them, but Chelsea are so useless at attacking from them, every corner just found its way to one of our players, who would then react with complete confusion and end up heading or passing it back across their own box.

Overall - perfect reaction to the PSG game and another tickbox for Ole. No faulting the atttidue or effort. We need to be keeping the ball a lot better though. Spent nearly an hour of the game basically just kicking it aimlessly up the pitch and hoping Rashford would get to it first. Not every decent team hands over a couple of goals to you in the way Chelsea and Arsenal seemt to like to. This happened it the Leicester game too and the last half hour of the Spurs one. Counter attacking is fine but hopefully kicking the ball in a general direction isn't counter attacking.
Are you some kind of parody?

Pjisared

Romero - Actually only had to make two saves, and one of those he only had to make because he made a massive meal of the first one

Young - Does he get a pay bonus every time he gifts possession back to the other team by playing an aimless ball up the wing to no one?
Lindelof - Seems to have suddenly learned how to defend crosses...or possibly Chelsea are just useless at them

Herrera - Kind of like the performance against PSG, except if it went well instead of extremely badly
Pogba - Good assist, good goal. Needed to be where Mata was in the second half though. Well I say that, I'm not sure where MAta was in the second half.

Mata - What is it he was supposed to be doing? I only really noticed him just before he came off when he started running round kicking people. Not being too critical as the game didn't really suit him from about half hour onwards, but if we're going to play on the break we need players to allow us to do that effectively.

Lukaku - Effort was much better. Still just kind of looked like he spent the entire game in the state where you fumble about not quite sure if you're about to fall over
Rashford - Great game. I love how he was able to stand still for about 5 seconds before crossing the ball to Pogba, without any Chelsea player bothering to maybe close him down or something.

Subs:
Sanchez - Ran around a lot. Spared being blamed for every bad thing we did due to the fact we won
McTominay - Came on with about 5 seconds to go, still managed to earn specific praise from Herrera for his efforts

Pedro - Sir divesalot
TV coverage - favourite part was when they cut to a 10 second clip of Zola not sitting on the Chelsea bench, due to the fact he wasn't there.
Corners - We are useless at defending them, but Chelsea are so useless at attacking from them, every corner just found its way to one of our players, who would then react with complete confusion and end up heading or passing it back across their own box.

Overall - perfect reaction to the PSG game and another tickbox for Ole. No faulting the atttidue or effort. We need to be keeping the ball a lot better though. Spent nearly an hour of the game basically just kicking it aimlessly up the pitch and hoping Rashford would get to it first. Not every decent team hands over a couple of goals to you in the way Chelsea and Arsenal seemt to like to. This happened it the Leicester game too and the last half hour of the Spurs one. Counter attacking is fine but hopefully kicking the ball in a general direction isn't counter attacking.
I bet you’re fun at Christmas

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Chelsea were poor, but we were tactically spot on last night. I shivered when I saw Mata starting, as presumed he would be out wide where his game is weak - but playing through the middle his touch and agility just give us a little composure there. Herrera was outstanding. Pog was a little quiet but when he had the ball he done the right things and of course involved in both goals - all we can ask of him! Smalling also a very good game.

It was a proper team performance, just the reaction you'd look for after last week.

Sereques

Did you guys see Lukaku’s run and movement during the second goal? It’s time we cut our losses on him.

simplyared

Don't know what it is but when Smalling is paired with Lindelöf he becomes the best defensive CB in the PL. A lot of praise for Herrera, Pogba and quite rightly so but let's not forget the big man with his new haircut. He was awesome last night!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Subs:

Pedro - Sir divesalot

Didn't realise Souness was on this forum.

Yagami

Good post resistant
2010/2011 CL QF.
Carrick and Giggs in a 442
I thought our midfield 3 of Carrick, Cleverley and Rooney were great there back in the 2012/2013 season where we won 3-2. Actually, those three had a great run together early on that season in which they peformed great together away to City (3-2 as well) and at home to Arsenal where we won 2-1 I believe.

I think those early victories were key to us running away with the title that year.

Denis79

Our midfield absolutely bossed the game. Best game under Ole imo.

Dudu

Over 9.4M viewers watched our comfortable win at the Bridge.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
2010/2011 CL QF.
Carrick and Giggs in a 442
I thought our midfield 3 of Carrick, Cleverley and Rooney were great there back in the 2012/2013 season where we won 3-2. Actually, those three had a great run together early on that season in which they peformed great together away to City (3-2 as well) and at home to Arsenal where we won 2-1 I believe.

I think those early victories were key to us running away with the title that year.
Our midfield absolutely bossed the game. Best game under Ole imo.
Worth keeping in mind this is probably the worst Chelsea side we've played at Stamford Bridge in about 20 years. They look like us under Moyes at the moment.

Great win but I thought our performance in the last round was better. Arsenal played better in that game than Chelsea did last night and we made it look just as comfortable, and actually maintained a counter attacking threat for the whole game, unlike last night where we were just launching hopeful balls up the wing which invariably went straight to a Chelsea player, or left Rashford needing to beat 3 players on his own just to keep possession.

I don't think having 30% of possession and going an entire half of football without having a shot on goal (and managing about 2 attacks) is really a blueprint to go forwards with.

I'm very happy with it given the circumstances and as a response to the PSG game, but we need to be keeping the ball and building counters a lot better going forwards, as we've shown we can do in other games.

Ole has now beaten 3 of the other top six sides away from home though. From taking us over in a situation where it'd be unrealisitic to expect us to beat Huddersfield away without a massive struggle. People must be running out of question marks to put over him.

Member 115509

The way that OGS gas created such an atmosphere of togetherness in a relatively short time is a measure of the job he is doing. OK, I think everyone knows there is work to be done in terms of building a team and squad capable of challenging at the very top level, but things are heading in the right direction.
That is three great results from this team in diffcult away games in London since Solskjaer took over where United won by neutralising the opposition then winning the game with incisive attacking football. The fact that Romero actually had relatively little to do against Chelsea illustrates how well United played last night as a team, everyone is pulling in the same direction.
If United win on Sunday then I think Solskjaer's credentials to be given the job on a permanent basis will be underlined, if United finish third and win the FA Cup that is probably about as good a finish to the season anyone could have envisioned when Mourinho left.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The way that OGS gas created such an atmosphere of togetherness in a relatively short time is a measure of the job he is doing. OK, I think everyone knows there is work to be done in terms of building a team and squad capable of challenging at the very top level, but things are heading in the right direction.
That is three great results from this team in diffcult away games in London since Solskjaer took over where United won by neutralising the opposition then winning the game with incisive attacking football. The fact that Romero actually had relatively little to do against Chelsea illustrates how well United played last night as a team, everyone is pulling in the same direction.
If United win on Sunday then I think Solskjaer's credentials to be given the job on a permanent basis will be underlined, if United finish third and win the FA Cup that is probably about as good a finish to the season anyone could have envisioned when Mourinho left.
Flatulence will get you everywhere

stu_1992

Great win last night. 2 lovely crosses producing 2 very nice headers. I probably preferred Herrera's goal, but both great goals. Second half was probably the best defensive display I've seen from us in a long time, which is very encouraging as this has been a major weakness for us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Great win last night. 2 lovely crosses producing 2 very nice headers. I probably preferred Herrera's goal, but both great goals. Second half was probably the best defensive display I've seen from us in a long time, which is very encouraging as this has been a major weakness for us.
Amazing how a guy famous for his goals has got that defence performing better, yet the guy who is supposed to be a defensive genius couldn't.

Alabaster Codify7

Phenomenal stuff last night. Absolutelt phenomenal.

What a way to bounce back from a humbling defeat - Ole and the lads showed balls and determination and played them off the park.

THAT is how its done.

Onto the scum.

redmanx

Smalling is my worry. I've never seen anyone hold, pull shirts and generally foul as much as him and get away with it almost every time. Sooner or later the refs are going to call it and we'll be in real trouble. He still had a great game but talk about living on the edge. What a performance from all of them though. Awesome!
Gary Pallister said much the same on MUTV; why does Smalling want to wrestle his opponents? If he could cut that out he would be a far better defender.

Brightonian

Just catching up with this one on record. The Chelsea players are continuing the club tradition of being a bunch of dislikable cnuts, aren't they? I just watched them try very hard to get Matic sent off for a foul that wasn't even a foul but in fact a perfectly tidy and honestly quite nondescript tackle, and then ten seconds later try again for a little trip that was a foul but only to the extent that Thierry Henry is a football manager.

They then spent ten minutes bitching at Kevin Friend, apparently aware that with PL refereeing being what it is these days, there are lots of things you're completely allowed to do in a football match, but do any of them three times in less than fifteen minutes accompanied by much complaint from the opposition and you'll definitely get a yellow for 'repeat offences'.

It's a whole team of Ashley Youngs.

Canagel

Amazing how a guy famous for his goals has got that defence performing better, yet the guy who is supposed to be a defensive genius couldn't.
Attack is the best form of defence. I think we are getting our fear factor back slowly. The team is dangerous with and without the ball.

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 66% of 815 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw