FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Chelsea 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 18 February 2019

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Romero - Actually only had to make two saves, and one of those he only had to make because he made a massive meal of the first one

Young - Does he get a pay bonus every time he gifts possession back to the other team by playing an aimless ball up the wing to no one?
Smalling - Good game. Get a haircut
Lindelof - Seems to have suddenly learned how to defend crosses...or possibly Chelsea are just useless at them
Shaw - Didn't notice him much. Probably a good thing.

Matic - The ultimate master of nearly deserving to be sent off.
Herrera - Kind of like the performance against PSG, except if it went well instead of extremely badly
Pogba - Good assist, good goal. Needed to be where Mata was in the second half though. Well I say that, I'm not sure where MAta was in the second half.

Mata - What is it he was supposed to be doing? I only really noticed him just before he came off when he started running round kicking people. Not being too critical as the game didn't really suit him from about half hour onwards, but if we're going to play on the break we need players to allow us to do that effectively.

Lukaku - Effort was much better. Still just kind of looked like he spent the entire game in the state where you fumble about not quite sure if you're about to fall over
Rashford - Great game. I love how he was able to stand still for about 5 seconds before crossing the ball to Pogba, without any Chelsea player bothering to maybe close him down or something.

Subs:
Sanchez - Ran around a lot. Spared being blamed for every bad thing we did due to the fact we won
Pereira - Subbed on to carry on doing whatever it was Mata was doing
McTominay - Came on with about 5 seconds to go, still managed to earn specific praise from Herrera for his efforts

Pedro - Sir divesalot
TV coverage - favourite part was when they cut to a 10 second clip of Zola not sitting on the Chelsea bench, due to the fact he wasn't there.
Corners - We are useless at defending them, but Chelsea are so useless at attacking from them, every corner just found its way to one of our players, who would then react with complete confusion and end up heading or passing it back across their own box.

Overall - perfect reaction to the PSG game and another tickbox for Ole. No faulting the atttidue or effort. We need to be keeping the ball a lot better though. Spent nearly an hour of the game basically just kicking it aimlessly up the pitch and hoping Rashford would get to it first. Not every decent team hands over a couple of goals to you in the way Chelsea and Arsenal seemt to like to. This happened it the Leicester game too and the last half hour of the Spurs one. Counter attacking is fine but hopefully kicking the ball in a general direction isn't counter attacking.

Litch

It's because for that amount of money we paid for him, we expected a world class striker playing week in, week out. I'm a very patient supporter, but Lukaku's time here really is something we need to question.
He contributed significantly to us coming second last season. Like said elsewhere, most of us would agree our season started 12 games ago. Given lots of fans wanted Pogs sold in Jan, Lingard not far behind him and many stating Rashford couldn't finish, they were given the benefit of the doubt. So 12 games in why can't that be given to Rom and Sanchez? If so have they had the opportunity to prove it, 12 games in coming off the bench? Whilst it wasn't outstanding tonight, their work rate and commit proved they want to show Ole they deserve to be here rather than sulking.
Maybe it's me but why wouldn't we want the beast we know Rom can be. It's not like we haven't seen it.....

Cantonagotmehere

I've been watching United for over 50 years and that performance was right up there with the best of them. Tactical masterclass from OGS. Aggression, focus, skill and the will to win demonstrated by all the players. Pogba got man of the match but for me that plaudit should have gone to Herrera. It was a stunning contribution from him. He has all the attributes to be captain in my view. On cloud 9 tonight and looking forward to the scousers.
love it

Steerpike

That was a very good performance, and we made light of the missing players. Mata had his best game of the season so far, Lindelof and Smalling were rocks at the back, Pogba and Rashford continued their good form under Ole, and Herrera had an absolute stormer. Actually, all of our players were good.

All that, and we didn't draw City away either (though Wolves away won't be a picnic).

I expect we'll see the same tactical set up against Liverpool, and suddenly we can look forward to the game with some hope.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Great performance. Chelsea didn't really trouble us at all.

Cantonagotmehere

What a great match. Still buzzing.

So many great performances. I know Mata faded, but I thought he controlled things and made some great passes/decisions especially in the 1st half. A type of control we usually don't see there.

Bring on the weekend!

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Great performance all round. Nice to get a win before the Liverpool game, should improve the confidence!

Pogba is something else. I'd be half-way to optimistic about getting a result in Paris if he weren't suspended.

redIndianDevil

He contributed significantly to us coming second last season. Like said elsewhere, most of us would agree our season started 12 games ago. Given lots of fans wanted Pogs sold in Jan, Lingard not far behind him and many stating Rashford couldn't finish, they were given the benefit of the doubt. So 12 games in why can't that be given to Rom and Sanchez? If so have they had the opportunity to prove it, 12 games in coming off the bench? Whilst it wasn't outstanding tonight, their work rate and commit proved they want to show Ole they deserve to be here rather than sulking.
Maybe it's me but why wouldn't we want the beast we know Rom can be. It's not like we haven't seen it.....
It's because they have struggled despite being given every advantage that a player can have. Both of them were backed absolutely by Mourinho and played in their own preferred positions. Last season everything was done so that Lukaku can score and even then he had a goal drought for about 10-12 games. Post Mourinho both of them have regressed while the entire squad looks rejuvenated.

redIndianDevil

FA cup and top 4 will make this an amazing season. With proper signings and appointments we can compete for the title next year.

DSG

Be good at football would be a start. We would have won 3/4 nil with another proper counterattacking threat alongside Rashford.

People need to remember we are not going to win anything if we keep lowering our expectations of what's good enough to start/play for this football club.
The players weren’t good enough under Jose, all of them supposedly, but look how Ole has changed their attitude, their confidence, and we’ve won 11 of 13.

Lukaku isn’t OGS’s first choice, but he’s a handy player to have. He played well. We know he doesn’t fit this system, but no need to throw shade on the lad.

On the other hand, Pogba looks like a beast out there. How many other CMs in the world could fight off three defenders (draped all over him, mind you), win the ball, push a tasty thru pass to the striker, then sprint 45 meters past all defenders to put a diving header into the corner? Any? KDB, maybe? I’ve been critical of him in the past, but his rebirth under OGS has turned him into quite an asset.

ship50

A very satisfying win against Chelsea who, at the moment, seem to play with some preset/pre-programmed tactics that never change. But all the credit to our players, they did the job fabulously. Now to the next game.

nainaisson

If United hadn't mysteriously forgotten how to defend earlier this season, our previous game at the Bridge would have ended with a similar scoreline. The way Chelsea played was pretty much identical in the two games.

I realize that United haven't won at Chelsea since 2012, so I somewhat understand the fans' reaction, but this Chelsea side are really, really bad. The PSG game was a more accurate barometer of where we are at the moment, which is about a level below the top tier teams.

lysglimt

Scout
Smalling is my worry. I've never seen anyone hold, pull shirts and generally foul as much as him and get away with it almost every time. Sooner or later the refs are going to call it and we'll be in real trouble. !
Yes you have - Matteo Darmian :) He does it every single corner.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Best performance since Ole took charge and it comes after the first defeat. That’s a great sign that he can take a knock and get a performance the next game.

Great team performance too, nothing bad can really be said about any of the players.

Sign him up!

ErranMorad

A very important win. The vultures had started hovering around after the PSG loss and were (are) waiting to write Ole off. Going to a ground that we have struggled at and getting the win was excellent for the club, the players and Ole. This should give everyone immense confidence.

Herrera was tremendous tonight. Nothing sort of phenomenal that performance.
Smalling was his usual self - rock solid.
Lindelof got turned over a couple of time by Hazard but was very good otherwise.
Shaw again showed that he is an excellent defender. Dealt alone with the Chelsea threat on his side all night.
Pogba with a good goal and assist.
Rashford did his part and was a threat with his pace. Made an excellent cross for the second goal.

Little criticism too, I think we need to learn to keep better hold of possession in order to go up a notch and become a really excellent team. We are too cheap in possession at times and resort to too many mindless hoofs. We kept giving Chelsea the ball away and invited pressure from them when we could have instead attacked them with a couple of good passes or by keeping the ball under pressure. On another day, against a good team, we could have been punished for being so careless with the ball. PSG took advantage of it the other night and Liverpool are well capable of taking advantage of it this Sunday. We simply need to improve in possession, and improve fast.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm more intrigued by the away fans. I wish I can join and feel it once in my life.
Same here. I actually had a dream where I was in the stands for an away game (Fulham, for some reason) but the ground was about the size of a typical old school lower division club's. Totally enjoyed that dream because of how crazy it got in that imaginary stand. :lol:

I'd rather go to an away game than a home game to be honest, given a choice between the two.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Amazing what you can do when you play football. Top performance by every player on the pitch. Ole got his tactics spot on last night. I’m so proud of my team right now. It’s genuinley beautiful to watch.

Ban

We were doing so good that Fergie was on his phone at the end, liking Facebook and Twitter statuses.

Perfect away performance: controlled and calm. Allowed Chelsea to come on second half, waiting to spring the counter-attack trap.

Ever player was very good; no weak link at all. I thought Herrera had the best game for us I've seen him play; Pogba excellent again. The belief of getting a result at such difficult away grounds is returning.

Happy days.

Robertd0803

Fantastic performance and buzzing with the win. Herrera was brilliant, easy to see why the Chelsea fans despise him. :)

Hearing the fans openly turning on Sarri was fun.

freddie the red

Smalling is my worry. I've never seen anyone hold, pull shirts and generally foul as much as him and get away with it almost every time. Sooner or later the refs are going to call it and we'll be in real trouble. He still had a great game but talk about living on the edge. What a performance from all of them though. Awesome!
Been thinking that for a long time tbh, he does it regularly and I'm often amazed the oppo don't get pens for it.
He ripped a big section of Luiz's shirt last night ffs.......he defo needs to lose that side of his game.

podurban2

Not only was that a stellar performance, but on the back of the PSG match at least my confidence was quite shot. Well, that was not the case with Ole and the boys. They all put in effort and in a very controlled manner, not chaotic or desperate.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Romero - Actually only had to make two saves, and one of those he only had to make because he made a massive meal of the first one

Young - Does he get a pay bonus every time he gifts possession back to the other team by playing an aimless ball up the wing to no one?
Smalling - Good game. Get a haircut
Lindelof - Seems to have suddenly learned how to defend crosses...or possibly Chelsea are just useless at them
Shaw - Didn't notice him much. Probably a good thing.

Matic - The ultimate master of nearly deserving to be sent off.
Herrera - Kind of like the performance against PSG, except if it went well instead of extremely badly
Pogba - Good assist, good goal. Needed to be where Mata was in the second half though. Well I say that, I'm not sure where MAta was in the second half.

Mata - What is it he was supposed to be doing? I only really noticed him just before he came off when he started running round kicking people. Not being too critical as the game didn't really suit him from about half hour onwards, but if we're going to play on the break we need players to allow us to do that effectively.

Lukaku - Effort was much better. Still just kind of looked like he spent the entire game in the state where you fumble about not quite sure if you're about to fall over
Rashford - Great game. I love how he was able to stand still for about 5 seconds before crossing the ball to Pogba, without any Chelsea player bothering to maybe close him down or something.

Subs:
Sanchez - Ran around a lot. Spared being blamed for every bad thing we did due to the fact we won
Pereira - Subbed on to carry on doing whatever it was Mata was doing
McTominay - Came on with about 5 seconds to go, still managed to earn specific praise from Herrera for his efforts

Pedro - Sir divesalot
TV coverage - favourite part was when they cut to a 10 second clip of Zola not sitting on the Chelsea bench, due to the fact he wasn't there.
Corners - We are useless at defending them, but Chelsea are so useless at attacking from them, every corner just found its way to one of our players, who would then react with complete confusion and end up heading or passing it back across their own box.

Overall - perfect reaction to the PSG game and another tickbox for Ole. No faulting the atttidue or effort. We need to be keeping the ball a lot better though. Spent nearly an hour of the game basically just kicking it aimlessly up the pitch and hoping Rashford would get to it first. Not every decent team hands over a couple of goals to you in the way Chelsea and Arsenal seemt to like to. This happened it the Leicester game too and the last half hour of the Spurs one. Counter attacking is fine but hopefully kicking the ball in a general direction isn't counter attacking.
Is this the return of Noodle ratings?

deef

Herrera was phenomenal! Always calm and tried to keep possession. Awarded with a goal. I really don't understand that he wasn't used more by our former managers.

What were the fans singing during the game? "Bring back Mourinho" or something?

Fracture90

Straightforward, focused, clinical! Last night we looked more like a Mourinho team than ever. Great win nonetheless!

Great tactical piece from Ole and the coaching staff.

Cockney Phil

Excellent performance. The brains and engine room worked a treat - Pogba, Ander, Mata and Matic. They allowed better all round movement between midfield and front players. Ander was MoTM with a tireless performance. Mata kept them on the back foot as a ‘false 9’, he kept at their heels. That gave Pogba space to move forward with support and attacking passes. Rashford ran them off the pitch. The defence were all equally excellent from iceman Lindelhof to Smalling throwing himself at everything. You know when Chelski are done when their players are slapping our players and crying for cards. They need the Sacked One to save them.

Sad to see but Lukaku has almost disappeared as a threat and his control was pretty woeful again. Ten minutes before he was off he already looked out of the game. Sanchez ran about but I don’t think that does justice to his wages. Pereira came on and tried to show he can do it - he needs a lot of minutes, same with Scott - hard to say on the time given them whether they can hack it.

Ole shifted gears showing a new tactical side. The two midfield subs made us look more traditional 442 than the diamond - as a plan B to defend the win it seemed to work. The pleasing bit was our players stepped up after PSG. The danger with young players is a defeat getting in their heads. Bring on the Scousers.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We were so solid at the back in the 2nd half. I wasnt worried at all about Chelsea, the whole team defended so well, every corner was cleared, every interception had a purpose (to counter) to punish them even more

lysglimt

Scout
sIf we turn things around and look at Chelsea. If I was a Chelsea-fan I would be a bit worried - not just for this season but for the future.

Hudson-Odoy wants to leave and they are far away from bringing any of their talents through despite having the most successful youth-side in English history.

I just can't see Hazard wanting to stay at Stamford Bridge for too long, he is 28 years old and Chelsea aren't anywhere near matching his quality. In addition Kovacic is on loan. And what perhaps is more concerning is that they now have an aging side and a thin Squad.

Luiz turns 32 in a couple of months. [Irrelevant point] just turned 28, Azpilicueta will turn 30 at the start of Next season. Jorginho is 28. Pedro turns 32 in the summer. Kante turns 28 in a month. Higuain just turned 31. Giroud is 32. Willian turns 31 when the next season starts.

Chelsea started last game With 3 players younger than 27. Kovacic who is on loan, Kepa who is the goalkeeper and who in fairness hasn't quite convinced me yet and Rudiger who I don't rate at all.

In addition they have Zappacosta who is not good enough, Drinkwater who is completely out of favour, Cahill who will leave in the summer. Barkley who is nowhere near where he was at Everton and Hudson-Cheek who is not really getting the chances he deserves.

On top of everything - they have a manager who is unlikely to survive unless Things drastically change. He could in theory be sacked on monday after another likely hammering by City. I just can't see Sarri surviving: Bournemouth 0-4, Chelsea 0-6, Man United 0-2 and another City-hammering.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
First match in a long long time that I haven't been nail biting for the last 30 mins.
It felt quite comfortable for us. With or without the ball.
Superb performance.

lysglimt

Scout
First match in a long long time that I haven't been nail biting for the last 30 mins.
It felt quite comfortable for us. With or without the ball.
Superb performance.
Hm..Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Cardiff ? If you were biting Nails in those games - you are a very nervous character :)

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 66% of 815 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw