PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 February 2021

Gordon S

We definitely wanted to win. Our players worked hard both on and off the ball. Can`t really complain about effort this time.
But the quality just isn`t there.

James can run non stop for days but just doesn`t have the quality when he gets the ball.
Fred and Scott work their socks off as usual but are fairly average on the ball.
Pogba and Cavani could have made a difference in this game. Two players that can add some quality up front for us.
Harry and Victor were decent i thought.

Djemba-Djemba

The tactics in big games clearly aren't working.

1 goal in 7 league games against the traditional top 6 is evidence that this shit ain't working.

But in this context, point is a good result.

MattofManchester

We were on top for large parts of that game first and second half
We had a 10 - 15 minute spell in that second half but that half involved Chelsea having the majority of the ball while we sat back.

We had a good 10 minute spell in a poor first half.

Large parts, my arse.

AndyMUFC

Another fun big six clash. Just two knackered teams playing it safe.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good result but every game right now just says to me what this team needs as much as anything is a quality midfield playmaker. Mount was very good in that role for Chelsea.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Would have taken that before the game, not a bad result at all. I thought we played well too, a lot better than we have done in other recent matches, really need Greenwood to click into gear though, we’d be a different proposition if we had a quality no 9

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Or for something, ANYTHING! They kicked the living shit out of Dan James all afternoon and not even a warning. Much like in the FA Cup semi-final last season.
I am sure they tell referees that they know where he lives before games at Stamford Bridge.

mav_9me

Didnt look like losing. should have had a pen.. werent people going to be happy with a 0-0 pre match ? Especially with no Cavani or Pogba..
Look at the bench.. the only attacking sub we had was Martial who is in horrendous form.. and that was with James and Greenwood starting..

Dull game though.. Not blaming injuries the 2-3 injuries.. that happens.. the squad lacks depth in attack.. we need a right winger and a proper 9. More than a CB.
If you want to win why do you keep James on instead of Greenwood? Answer is to not lose cuz James does his defensive work better.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Fred and McT is good to break the opposition rhythm but the moment you win the ball back, opposition will start pressing. At this point, their weakness shows- when pressed, they get panicked and give the ball back to them.

King Eric 7

Did someone make out what Luke Shaw was just saying about the ref after the game? The ref apparently said to Maguire that there would have been a lot of talk after the game if he had given the pen. WTF???

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
No goals in the league vs the big 6 in open play since before lockdown. What a joke. Can't beat the top, can't beat the bottom. And we're just stuck with it. So frustrating. I can not understand how some are OK with these performances.
I’m not happy with it at all mate. I love Solskjaer the player, but Solskjaer the manager is out of his depth.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Showed how much we miss Pogba, I think him being missing affects Bruno as well. Would have loved Cavani up front as well.

Cloud7

Have we won a single game against one of the big six this season?

bsCallout

Today's result in isolation is not too bad. But this performance and result against the big boys is becoming far too acceptable. We have scored ONE single goal against all of them this season and even that came from a penalty in a game we ended up losing 6-1.
To be honest that's the progress I would have wanted us to make this season. We aren't title challengers, we didn't expect to be this season. Turning these tight games, that we largely seem perhaps too comfortable in, into wins will be the step to the title.

A top quality CF is what I think takes us to that next level, someone who you can rely on in these games.

Castia

Scored 1 goal all season vs the top 6 and that was the hammering by Spurs.

Ultimately not good enough.

bonothom

It's OK to say we are making progress as we are 2nd. But if we have a shite transfer window this Summer and do not address the problems in our defence and attack then we will go backwards again next season.

MonkeysMagic

So Shaw just said that the ref told Maguire he didn't want to give pen cos of headlines it would create! If this is true then just shows the state of PL refs!

mu4c_20le

Take out the spurs game and we only conceded 1 goal against the top 6 all season.

Solid.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Shaw just said that the referee told Maguire 'if I say its a pen then there will be a lot of talk about it after'

Pretty big accusation

LordNinio

Did someone make out what Luke Shaw was just saying about the ref after the game? The ref apparently said to Maguire that there would have been a lot of talk after the game if he had given the pen. WTF???
From what I gathered, Shaw was saying the ref said giving the penalty would create too much of a talking point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Our results against the big 6 have been truly woeful this season. Just either shit or shit scared performances.
Sky being a little mischievous counting Arsenal at the big 6 there. Leicester was a much better display and unlucky not to win that being 2-1 up late on.

United492

I thought it was a decent game, but then I wasn't born in the 80s just before we dominated. We're building, and this game, together with other games against the top teams is evidence of that. Bar the odd blip, we're beating the lesser teams, something we struggled with previously, and now essentially levelling up against the top teams. I'm happy with that as progress. Next season I expect us to start kicking on, if we don't...... until then, a lot of people on here need to get a grip. We're going to lose now and again, it happens to all teams. But taking a point away from home (if away matters now) against a challenger for the top four, keeping them at a distance, isn't a negative.

Bottom line, we're not catching city, keeping the rest at bay for top four, in the grand scheme....I'm happy, especially when they're in the middle of a new manager bounce.

RashyForPM

The waah waahs are here, listen to them wail about patterns of play, tactics and other shite.
Today we have a new one, it's just like when Jose left :lol:
Now that’s a new one, waah waahs! :lol:

Anyway, to your general point, it’s better than Jose now in the sense that we are only insipid against big 6 sides and generally entertaining against the rest. At the same time, it’s not ‘wailing about tactics’. We really do set up to draw big 6 matches. Generally, because they then recognise that our players are superior to theirs (which they are bar City and Pool), they accept it and the game fizzles out. It’s not good enough because we can beat teams like Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal. I don’t think that’s whining, it’s just honestly assessing our style of play.

Nevertheless, while the draw was probably a fair result when looking at the stats and general play, we really ought to have won. The ref bottled it. Since Klopp made those comments, it’s like they have to prove they don’t favour us and therefore basically cheat us. This is why once again, none of these English refs will be going to a big international tournament in June.

James Peril

We were set up to not lose, and if we win it’s down to hope and individual brilliance. We were very close to going down, could have had a penalty, the game was boring as feck and should have had an early goal to ignite. It’s football during corona... there are too many games and most of them are boring as hell. Can’t wait to end this incredibly shit season, hoping for normality next year.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Few signings needed to bridge the gap in these games in terms of quality.

On the bright side I thought we played decent. A bit hesitant from both sides really but we’ve gotten a tough fixture out of the way and actually gained a point on Leicester and West Ham whilst keeping the gap between us and Chelsea at 6.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sky Sports trying to spin some tale of only Chelsea trying to win the game, which is of course, nonsense.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
A draw isn't a bad result, but we could have won that, Chelsea were very average, but we were wasteful and felt like Ole was happy with a draw.
My exact thoughts, except I'd replace Chelsea with Manchester United and hit send.
But very predictable result this.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 244 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd