PL W FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 14 December 2016

Brightonian

Imagine this team without Pogba, Zlatan, and De Gea. All three of them are world class.
Not sure I get this. It would still feature Herrera, Carrick, Mata, Miki, Valencia; all currently playing very well. Arguably all playing better than Zlatan if you consider more than just the last handful of games.

Seems to me most of the team have been playing pretty well for quite a spell now, and the results are beginning to reflect that a bit better. We've got some worldies, but it's certainly not the case that they're carrying everyone else.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good team performance, no-one had a bad game.
Pogba the MOM.
Occasionally we got a bit sloppy.

Would have been absolutely fuming if we hadn't won that.
How can the officials possibly miss the handball and how on earth does the "offside" goal get ruled out.
Yeah felt very like a 1-1 for a long while

GwilDor

How do you judge performances? and Who do you think played better than him?
I try, but often fail, to judge the actual involvements, without being too affected by the end result.

I judged him to a 7 on the rating, along with several others, for example Zlatan, Rojo and Carrick. My MoM was Carrick, who hardly set a foot wrong, had several important interceptions and generally did his job in a good manner.

What i tried to say at the beginning of this discussion was not that i though he was shit(although inconsistent), but that i had the impression others valued his performance much higher than i did.

El Zoido

So did anyone else notice that BBC and BT both showed a line across the pitch for our disallowed goal, yet BT showed Mata offside by a toe, while BBC had him clearly onside.

Fitchett

So did anyone else notice that BBC and BT both showed a line across the pitch for our disallowed goal, yet BT showed Mata offside by a toe, while BBC had him clearly onside.
Yes! So, if video technology ever comes in, it will still be down to who has the integrity to apply it properly.

LouisDanGaal

I guess we'll have to disagree. There is a difference between on the one hand,a directly match deciding involvement(like Mkhitaryan's goal), which i agree gets extra relevance for deciding a MoM award. On the other hand, it would be something else when you're judging for example a pass, which relies on what a teammate gets out of it in the end. That pass should be evaluated on basis of itself, and not what the recipient does afterwards.

Like i said though, i guess we view it differently, which is fine :D

:lol:
Yeah different view I guess both can appreciate that play by Pogba was great anyway even if it didn't lead to an assist just like that pass to rooney in the first half, great pass, but doesn't get highlighted much because Rooney doesn't score.

LouisDanGaal

Not without committing an actual foul. You never get a red for intent in that situation. It's not how the rule is meant to be governed.
Everyone agrees that was a red. All the papers and all the pundits will agree that was a red. I don't want to argue technicality or anything like that but I sat there watching it saw his lunge thought immediately that's a red and the replays didn't change my mind at all.

ThaReaper01

Everyone agrees that was a red. All the papers and all the pundits will agree that was a red. I don't want to argue technicality or anything like that but I sat there watching it saw his lunge thought immediately that's a red and the replays didn't change my mind at all.
Yes you do. A jump tackle is deemed reckless and out of control. It was a red all day long. If the palace player hadn't hurdled the tackle he would have caught him.
Rojo is playing better but he is still a liability an a red card waiting to happen. Could have lost us the game with that stupid tackle today.
It was a ridiculous tackle, the second week in a row. It was a two footed lunge and a red card every time. Luckily the ref was having a stinker.
A lunge and a miss is not a red. For the last time; if Rojo had caught him, it was a stonewall sending off. Since he didn't and Zaha dove, it was rightly called differently.

Theonas

Scout
A lunge and a miss is not a red. For the last time; if Rojo had caught him, it was a stonewall sending off. Since he didn't and Zaha dove, it was rightly called differently.
I am not sure about. Scholes did not connect with Alonso if you remember and that was deemed a red. Intention and all ...

The BlackGaijin

Couldn’t watch the match so I just decided to peek into the match day thread. Jesus ! Some of you can curse.
That thread is what I imagine dinner with Charlie Sheen and Roy Kean would go sound like.

The language there after they equalized would make a sailor blush! Do you guys kiss your loved ones with the same lips?

Charlie Foley

Couldn’t watch the match so I just decided to peek into the match day thread. Jesus ! Some of you can curse.
That thread is what I imagine dinner with Charlie Sheen and Roy Kean would go sound like.

The language there after they equalized would make a sailor blush! Do you guys kiss your loved ones with the same lips?
I kiss your loved ones with the same lips.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Overall good result, but we need to win more comfortably and really get to finishing those chances and going for the kill. We have it in us to kill a game in the first half with 3 or 4 goals, the amount of chances we create in games. Let's do that than just 1 goal, its a terrible lead to have for three-quarters of a game. More goals, like in this match and some clean sheets and we'll be right up there.

NotQuiteManc

Just watched the highlights only.

1. Pogba is getting better and better each game. Added the aggressiveness to try to score from inside the box, to his already inventiveness and ability to create his own chances and shoot from distance. Proved with that first goal.
2. Great save by DDG. The ball was moving away and yet he managed to get to it. Great shotstopping as always by him.
3. Great goal by Ibra. Pogba again with the movement and awareness to find the big man and return the favor with delicious throughpass. Ibra didnt need to touch and just finish it beyond the reach of the GK. Perfect weight and direction. The kind of passes you would expect from Pogba from now on.
4. Missing Mkhitarayan already.

RedFish

Thank feck for the win. Palace and Pardew were irritating me no end. The less said about the referee the better. In the end I'm just glad we got the win. We missed Mkhi badly but good to see Pogba and Zlatan combining for the winner. Feck off Palace.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Another midfield domination.

Our trio deserves credit. Can't remember the last game that we have lost the midfield battle.

Cantonagotmehere

Worst refereeing I've ever seen I think. Just awful. And the match day wankers were out in full effect today.

But good result and good performance. Kept going, created chances, dominated match, and didn't let their head go down when the ref was doing everything he could do feck them.

World class finish from Ibra. Decisive contributions from Pogba.
Match Day Wankers should be its own pinned thread. Well said.

ThaReaper01

I am not sure about. Scholes did not connect with Alonso if you remember and that was deemed a red. Intention and all ...
Do you mean the punch that he threw at Anfield? Because he also kicked him in the nuts. But a swing is a bit different than a tackle. One is a common occurrence in a football match. I'd Zaha didn't throw himself to the ground, the referee isn't going to go back and book Rojo after then move, let alone stop play to send him off for a no-contact tackle.

Pavl3n

Just watched the highlights only.

1. Pogba is getting better and better each game. Added the aggressiveness to try to score from inside the box, to his already inventiveness and ability to create his own chances and shoot from distance. Proved with that first goal.
2. Great save by DDG. The ball was moving away and yet he managed to get to it. Great shotstopping as always by him.
3. Great goal by Ibra. Pogba again with the movement and awareness to find the big man and return the favor with delicious throughpass. Ibra didnt need to touch and just finish it beyond the reach of the GK. Perfect weight and direction. The kind of passes you would expect from Pogba from now on.
4. Missing Mkhitarayan already.
Same over here - I could only watch the highlights and these were some of the points.
Despite the poor refereeing (didn't see Rojo's tackle, it was reckless from what I've read) I have one more point to note.
Last 3 games we've done exactly what we've been missing until the start of December.
2:0 vs Zorya - getting a cushion lead
1:0 vs Spurs - holding on to a 1 goal lead
2:1 vs Palace - fighting all the way to the end and get that crucial goal.
I see improvements and makes me happy, feeling positive for the near future.

What got me disappointed was those first 20 min of the second half. You could see it even from the highlights that the team took it easy in a way.
Nevertheless, that result will bring confidence and should help us stretch the winning run.

Client6

There is something inexplicable about the joy felt after winning against Crystal Palace. Maybe it is Pardew, maybe it is the name, maybe it is the stadium I don't know but feck all of them. And feck the referees, the officiating has been atrocious.

Great win, just imagine another transfer window and it will truly look more like a Mourinho's Premier League team. Let's go on a winning streak lads and end the year on good form. The January window excites me for some reason.

And oh yeah, feck you Pardew you twat!

NotQuiteManc

Same over here - I could only watch the highlights and these were some of the points.
Despite the poor refereeing (didn't see Rojo's tackle, it was reckless from what I've read) I have one more point to note.
Last 3 games we've done exactly what we've been missing until the start of December.
2:0 vs Zorya - getting a cushion lead
1:0 vs Spurs - holding on to a 1 goal lead
2:1 vs Palace - fighting all the way to the end and get that crucial goal.
I see improvements and makes me happy, feeling positive for the near future.

What got me disappointed was those first 20 min of the second half. You could see it even from the highlights that the team took it easy in a way.
Nevertheless, that result will bring confidence and should help us stretch the winning run.
Yes (almost) the whole team is improving. As most posters already mentioned in other thread, the most surprising would be the duo CB of Jones and Rojo, and the effectiveness of both as CB partnership. Neither is the tallest CB around but both are aggressive and from the look of things, really the type to defend first and foremost. Rojo reminds me a bit of Heinze who himself is left footer, prefer CB than LB and not the tallest but has aggressive play style.

RedDevil@84

Good play (Not excellent) and deserved winners. We should have been clear winners if not for the refs.
Overall good display. Pogba with a MOTM performance, but with some horrible mispasses way too often. We switched off for sometime in second half, which is not good if you are playing a better team.

Overall pretty happy to score late and Pogba-Zlatan combination to keep clicking.
Keep'em coming Ibra..

RedDevil@84

Rojo challenge (Could have been yellow with severe warning if not giving red)
Missed handball for goal
Missed handball in box
Wrong offside call
Delaney booked for clean tackle

A very poor day at office for the officials. Unfortunately, they can get away with anything except drinking with football players.

marlowe78

After watching this I thought back on the game at West Ham last season where we capitulated and ended up missing 4th. Tonight showed a complete change in character since then, it reminded me of the hard-fought wins we were known for under SAF and haven't really felt since he left. We had a scrappy opponent in a small ground with a tough atmosphere and while Palace's equalizer might have caused heads to drop in the recent past, instead we pushed on and strung together a marvelous sequence that led to Ibra's goal.

This was far from a great performance by the team but I think nearly everyone made a good account of themselves. When the lineups came out, I expected us to create next to nothing with so little pace and no one to give us width. Still, we looked fairly good in possession and got a few chances that should've been finished off. Ibra was my MOTM, not just for the goal but since he was a continuous threat and never really faded out of the game like he has recently. Obvious second choice is Pogba, who keeps irking me with his sloppy passing but also impressing with his strength and obvious ability to pull off the brilliant.

Midfield I thought we were very good, Palace were very little threat to us in that area. Herrera might've been better off not attempting any shots tonight but he played a very efficient game and kept us moving. Carrick seems to be getting phased out in playing more of a sit-back role while Pogba roams and looks to play it forward but he is still very good at what he does. Rooney I thought had an average performance but should've had at least a goal.

Rojo and Jones continue to play well, aside from the fact that Rojo needs to cut it out with his brainless 2-footed tackles. He was very fortunate to not get sent off but was dependable outside of that. The real impression was Bailly, who was excellent in a makeshift role as RB. It is to his credit that he kept going after taking studs from Lee and he didn't hide, he took runs forward and made himself available in the buildup. How Lee wasn't booked, I'll never know.

...Oh, and did anyone mention that the officiating in general was shit?

A couple of other random thoughts. One, this needs to be Darmian's last game with the club. I've harped a lot on him the past couple of days but I see little doubt that he cannot improve if he stays in this league. He looks completely out of his element when under pressure and his 'defending' in the buildup to McArthur's goal was ludicrous. If Jose is so doubtful of him that he needs to play Bailly as a FB in order to deal with a runner, we should find a regular FB who can do that. I sure as hell don't want Bailly going down the same road as Smalling and being played out of position.

I also want to give a shout to Rojo and Blind for starting the move that led to Ibra's goal. It did not look like very much but it was very efficient passing that helped to get Pogba underway in playing through Palace's line. On my 10 scale, I'll give us a 7. Not a brilliant game but a great outcome and important confidence-booster.

ants7

Great 3 points. Dont' really care about how we got it - 3 points is all that matters about that game.

Looking forward, I'm not even thinking about Europa League, etc. All that matters now is getting 3 points at Hawthorns.

And Jose is doing well not to comment about the refs. If other people choose not to see their failures, why must he take all the beating for being honest.

Also, very happy to see what is happening on the pitch. Everyone who is insane enough to compare this side in negative way against Moyes/LVG sides can feck right off.

Onward and upward.

buckooo1978

the first time in a long long time where I have watched United and really believed we would get a winner

Jose is changing the mentality of this team - the is no doubt about it

all the new signings have been performing excellently lately and Bailly was very strong at Right Back - hopefully not out too long

Pogba superb - he is really improving each game

Zlatan was excellent but he needs two fast players alongside him - Mata and Rooney were a big downgrade on Martial and Mhiki.

Very satisfying win

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Another midfield domination.

Our trio deserves credit. Can't remember the last game that we have lost the midfield battle.
Herrera is the key. Unfortunately if he gets injuried, who do we have to do the donkey work? TFM maybe too young for that role... that schnedellin doesnt to be around anymore....on some extended holiday.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Do you mean the punch that he threw at Anfield? Because he also kicked him in the nuts. But a swing is a bit different than a tackle. One is a common occurrence in a football match. I'd Zaha didn't throw himself to the ground, the referee isn't going to go back and book Rojo after then move, let alone stop play to send him off for a no-contact tackle.
You're wrong. It was a red. You don't need to make contact to get sent off, you just need to be reckless and dangerous, which Rojo was. The moment you leave the floor with both feet you are no longer in control of your movements. He jumped in studs up and could have seriously injured a fellow pro. If it happened against us we'd rightly be demanding a red card.

Bwuk

Ref was poor for both sides, nothing wrong with Matas goal and we should of had a stonewall pen, but Rojo should of been sent off early doors.

Looks like it's all beginning to click on the pitch.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 540 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd