PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 May 2017

el3mel

Generally very good. Harrop stood out for the right reasons, TFM for the wrong reasons.
Very well. They were composed. Mitchell and Harrop in particular look promising. Tuanzebe did well. J Perreira looked confident in goal. Hell, they all did well.
Harrop and Mitchell were my stand out performers. None of the youth really panicked with the ball, they were cool and composed and eased to victory. The first team could learn a few lessons from them!
Thanks a lot, so Harrop and Mitchell were the most ones who caught the eyes ? I'll try to look for extending highlights for the game then as it looks promising.

@11101 what do you mean by wrong reasons ? :D

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Gomes hasn't grown an inch since that picture with Nani and Ronaldo.
:lol:

Give him some of Messi's growth hormone treatment and that should see him right:drool:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Judging him on how he normally plays, headless chicken, and he wasnt pogba ran the show
Err, Pogba?
There really wasn't much between the two, it's inconsequential to the point anyway. Using a performance of a player as an example of why they should replace someone who performed better in the same game doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

red_john

You could tell that no pressure was on the players today. They looked relaxed, composed and played some very good football. Made up for Pogba with the week he's had.

SirScholes

There really wasn't much between the two, it's inconsequential to the point anyway. Using a performance of a player as an example of why they should replace someone who performed better in the same game doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?
The kids showed they had a better footballing brain than the players mentioned, regardless of how well you think lingard played, so yes my post made sense.

el3mel

TFM's positioning was all over the place, as it often (normally?) is when he's played at rightback. The guy has all the physical gifts for that position, but he just doesn't seem able to wrap his head around it other than one or two games.
I didn't like as a RB since day one tbf. I just don't think it's his normal position.

I hoped Jose would have tried him in the midfield or the CB so I can see him there.

btw, Jones starting this means it's probably Smalling and Blind in the final then ?

DevilRed

Easy win.

Great to see the youngsters shine.

Especially impressed by harrop and Mitchell.

Is this really Rooneys last game?

Have a feeling he might be back next year. Especially now we don't have ibra.

ivaldo

The kids showed they had a better footballing brain than the players mentioned, regardless of how well you think lingard played, so yes my post made sense.
Better footballing brain than Lingard. How exactly? Try not to be completely vague.

Turamb

Harrop was impressive in the first half, but disappeared in the second.
Mitchell and Tuanzebe were very good.
McTominay was decent, but mostly anonymous.
Pereira had a good save, but I thought he was a little shaky otherwise.
Fosu-Mensah was kind of meh today.

Tuanzebe, Mitchell and Harrop showed they deserve more chances.

SirScholes

Better footballing brain than Lingard. How exactly? Try not to be completely vague.
better decision making with regards to pass selection, movement, touch on the ball.

Lingards decision making is absolutely woeful and one of the reasons we have struggled to break teams down, he just doesn't make the right movements or passes often enough, that bit is key to whether you are good enough for United, he gets it right from time to time but one swallow does not make a summer

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Mitchell looked absolutely fantastic from my position (which was about a few meters away from him during the second half).
God that felt great. Bailly a beast as always.

LisburnWhite

btw, Jones starting this means it's probably Smalling and Blind in the final then ?
Think Smalling has a toe injury so maybe this was a run out for Jones.
Who knows what the truth is, think there is a few mind games going on and misinformation being put out at the minute.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Easy win.

Great to see the youngsters shine.

Especially impressed by harrop and Mitchell.

Is this really Rooneys last game?

Have a feeling he might be back next year. Especially now we don't have ibra.
He's only started playing a few games now because we were furiously resting players.
Otherwise he barely got a lookin with Ibra out.

So to imagine that we won't upgrade, and he won't slip further than already only being a bench option is hard to see.

DevilRed

Who knows what the truth is, think there is a few mind games going on and misinformation being put out at the minute.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Smalling and Jones.

They were above Blind in the pecking order till injury struck.

ivaldo

better decision making with regards to pass selection, movement, touch on the ball.

Lingards decision making is absolutely woeful and one of the reasons we have struggled to break teams down, he just doesn't make the right movements or passes often enough, that bit is key to whether you are good enough for United, he gets it right from time to time but one swallow does not make a summer
Except Lingards pass selection, movement, decision making and touch was spot on today and as a result he played better than those you want to displace him.

One Swallow doesn't make a summer, yet you're happy to use this one game to state these youngsters should have played instead of lingard in the first team?

It's no surprise that Lingard thrived today, we were set up right. Lingard plays well in a team that functions correctly, he isn't someone who is going to win you a game on his own but his movement and use of the ball is much improved when the system is right.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Can someone post a vid of the goals please? Missed the game.

PieCrust

Such a pleasant surprise. Actually a really fun match to watch, that I had initially planned not wasting my time on.

And just what Pogba needed to help him transition through his personal issues while getting some confidence and sharpness for Wednesday.

SirScholes

Except Lingards pass selection, movement, decision making and touch was spot on today and as a result he played better than those you want to displace him.

One Swallow doesn't make a summer, yet it does when you're talking about youth players?

It's no surprise that Lingard thrived today, we were set up right. Lingard plays well in a team that functions correctly, he isn't someone who is going to win you a game on his own but his movement and use of the ball is much improved when the system is right.
Listen Jesse

All I'm saying is today those young players showed better intelligence than the players I mentioned have in this one off game, I'm not saying they are better although there is a very high chance they could be soon, they simply showed a better understanding and reading of the game, they all did.

lingard played alright, I think he has a 6.5 on the caf rating, I was praising the kids, I'm bored of discussing lingard and his lack of cutting edge

el3mel

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Smalling and Jones.

They were above Blind in the pecking order till injury struck.
Don't know, I actually hoped for Jones and Blind together but they never played together so it'll be dangerous to use this pairing for the first time in a final. Jones and Smalling together, don't like this pairing much and not linking together.

I think it'll be Smalling and Blind, I hope they appear with their performance last season just for one important game.

ivaldo

Listen Jesse

All I'm saying is today those young players showed better intelligence than the players I mentioned have in this one off game, I'm not saying they are better although there is a very high chance they could be soon, they simply showed a better understanding and reading of the game, they all did.

lingard played alright, I think he has a 6.5 on the caf rating, I was praising the kids, I'm bored of discussing lingard and his lack of cutting edge
Except in that one off game he performed better than they. If you're going to pick a one off example to hail them as better options, it's probably not best to select a game when they were outperformed by him in the half he played!

Lingard is a decent squad player, but how some of you lot like to try and make out you'd think he was missing a leg.

SirScholes

Except in that one off game he performed better than they. If you're going to pick a one off example to hail them as better options, it's probably not best to select a game when they were outperformed by him in the half he played!

Lingard is a decent squad player, but how some of you lot like to try and make out you'd think he was missing a leg.
like I say I disagree, Id like to see them more often, they might not continue to develop as well, lots can happen, they need to continue to work hard and improve, but its encouraging to see them already confident footballers.

Lingard, meh he'll be here next season, I expect the same poor return and will hope to be proved wrong

ivaldo

like I say I disagree, Id like to see them more often, they might not continue to develop as well, lots can happen, they need to continue to work hard and improve, but its encouraging to see them already confident footballers.

Lingard, meh he'll be here next season, I expect the same poor return and will hope to be proved wrong
You're expecting a team player to demonstrate individual brilliance in a broken team. These youngsters have had plenty of games for the u23s where they've struggled because the u23s are a mess. It shouldn't come as a suprise that in a working set up he and they perform better.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Any place on the net where i can watch the game again? I missed part of it.

SirScholes

You're expecting a team player to demonstrate individual brilliance in a broken team. These youngsters have had plenty of games for the u23s where they've struggled because the u23s are a mess. It shouldn't come as a suprise that in a working set up he and they perform better.
Or it could be it was the last game of the season at home against palace?
I don't expect individual brilliance I expect consistency, he offers neither, now I didn't want to discuss lingard I think he is one of the worst players to have played more than one season for us it pains me to watch him play.
Its not just his lack of cutting edge its his shoddy choice of passes that piss me off as I watch him time and again break down our attacking play and have done all season, Lingard making the wrong pass has sod all to do with the tactics. He hasn't done well this year because he isn't very good, he is the same standard of player of cleverly and ideally would be given the same treatment, Martial is also bad for his crappy choice when on the ball but was outstanding last year so will rightly be given another crack at the whip.

He'll play against Ajax no doubt, I hope he plays one of his rare good games and helps us bring home the Europa League

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

He wasn't better than Mitchell today, that's for sure.
Lingard was good/ok today mind, so not trying to bash him.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 350 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Man Utd 1:1 Crystal Palace
  • 13% Man Utd 0:0 Crystal Palace