PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 May 2017

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did we get rid of Varela or loan him? Thought he was ok in the appearances he got under LVG. This match just reminded me of him.
Coutinho assassinating him in the Europa league home game seemed to end that little flurry of games!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was a good watch. I don't think Mitchell was as special as some in here, nor do I think Fosu Mensah was as poor. Harrop and Tuanzebe were the pick for me.

I'm still unsure of this whole LB thing for Mitchell anyway, I was a bit frustrated to find our most promising young winger when he was in the academy, barely given an opportunity to play there for the 23s and now first team. He has speed, skill and finishing.

Red Devil Rising

Just found out a bit more info about the above press conference

Press were still out watching United do the lap of honour and were to be heading to the press room soon after, Mourinho quickly goes to the press room after the final whistle aware that there's no-one there and promptly walks out.

Initially I thought journalists just couldn't be bothered to turn up but seems like Jose stole a march on all of them, got there before them then disappeared.

Good enough. Would only be the usual Rooney bore fest etc.

Reactions: KM

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lol, that is as good as his tactics against Chelsea. The press couldn't ask their last question on Rooney. Obviously, I am assuming they won't ask a question when/if he leaves in the summer.

Dante

Average bang

Press were still out watching United do the lap of honour and were to be heading to the press room soon after, Mourinho quickly goes to the press room after the final whistle aware that there's no-one there and promptly walks out.

Initially I thought journalists just couldn't be bothered to turn up but seems like Jose stole a march on all of them, got there before them then disappeared.

:lol:

Sigma

Genius move that.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Was at game today. Anyone know why mourinho was going nuts with either Bailly or the physio when he was injured?

Ixion

Was at game today. Anyone know why mourinho was going nuts with either Bailly or the physio when he was injured?
He was worried he'd have to use his last sub on Baily instead of giving Rooney his moment.

PieCrust

Coutinho assassinating him in the Europa league home game seemed to end that little flurry of games!
Yeah, you're not wrong. Still thought he had some potential and prior to signing Shaw, I though he might have a chance at first choice LB. But at age 24 and still being loaned out and not getting much first team experience on the loan, guess Jose doesn't rate him.

Would also like to point out that Bailley has been a solider for the team since his sending off. He keeps playing through minor injuries and niggles, and especially today, being able to tough it out to keep the players who will be involved in the final fresh deserved a mention, not to mention ensuring Rooney could be subbed off towards the end in what may be his last match at Old Trafford as well as it allowing Gomes to make a senior debut. Would have been very easy for Bailly to just not play at all in this match or to be subbed out in the first half.

redsunited

Full credit to Mourinho. Did the team selection, subs spot on. Managed to rotate first team players and kept them fresh and with out any fatigue for next match.

He kept the CD for experienced players against Benteke and chose one experienced striker, winger and CM and maintained the balance of experienced players along the spine well through out the match.

Many did well, It would be interesting to see which young player make it at United.

A good day to end the otherwise awful premier league campaign.

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

We were playing a side in holiday mode & playing at walking pace. This doesn't really tell us much about how the youth players would perform in a competitive quality game.

wolvored

Yeah, you're not wrong. Still thought he had some potential and prior to signing Shaw, I though he might have a chance at first choice LB. But at age 24 and still being loaned out and not getting much first team experience on the loan, guess Jose doesn't rate him.

Would also like to point out that Bailley has been a solider for the team since his sending off. He keeps playing through minor injuries and niggles, and especially today, being able to tough it out to keep the players who will be involved in the final fresh deserved a mention, not to mention ensuring Rooney could be subbed off towards the end in what may be his last match at Old Trafford as well as it allowing Gomes to make a senior debut. Would have been very easy for Bailly to just not play at all in this match or to be subbed out in the first half.
Mourinho said he needs warriors at the club, a barb aimed at Smalling Jones and Shaw. Bailly had to play on save him getting tagged as the former mentioned players.

red_devil83

Yeah I saw that too, well funny. The press room looked unusually empty.
Like 3 guys and none of them had a question. The way that one guy looked around for someone who might have a question, you wonder if he was even supposed to be there :lol:

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
I truly wish we could grow our own players to the standard that would make us competitive in the PL and CL. Football seems purer when the kids are playing. Harrop good enough to push for a squad place next season or should he leave/go on loan?

If he was Von Harrop, De Harrop or Le Harrop playing on the continent Man Utd would probably be looking to pay 50 million for him. A lot of the clubs are the same. They tend to take their own young players for granted and when they see a young player no better but playing in an inferior league they will splash out millions on them. Makes no sense to me.

anothermix

pretty enjoyable game to take away. plenty of raw talent in our youth and easy win for us.

Thanks a lot, so Harrop and Mitchell were the most ones who caught the eyes ? I'll try to look for extending highlights for the game then as it looks promising.

@11101 what do you mean by wrong reasons ? :D
Someone in the match day thread put it best. He likes to create fires and then put them out. Made a lot of mistakes and relied on his physical attributes to bail him out. He's just not a right back.

Godiah Rocky Imbukuleh

Why didn't we play young, hungry, exciting players at home more often?

Might've turned a lot those shit draws where donkeys like Rooney and Fellaini did nothing, into wins!

Most entertaining United game for a good few weeks (months?)
Rooney? He didn't play many league matches this season. Maybe you mean Ibra?

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Btw, apparently there's no McTominay's Performance thread :lol: so I'll just comment here then.

Impressive unexpected performance, I didn't know he had it in his locker.

His playstyle may not be noticeable though, but I notice he can do the basics well, like holding and keeping the ball well, good supporting movements attackingly and defensively, smooth ball clearance, composure, doesn't panic when he had the ball, getting into the box waiting for crosses, and that :drool:technical foul on Zaha.
There's a reason why he was constantly picked ahead of Willock who's a more eye-catching player. That was a professional performance.
I like McTominay - keeps it simple and rarely makes a mistake but I can see how he may go unnoticed. He's also had a growth spurt and was 5'6 two years back (he's 6'4 now) so not that worried about A Gomez.

Cantona_Forever

Thanks for the explanation. Without context, that seems weird.

Last edited:

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
That press conference. :lol:

Guess there's not much to ask him, I mean it's kinda a bore season in terms of the league.

Could of asked him about the Europa League and targeted questions on the youngsters though I thought. There's a few things I can of think of.

shield

Felt good seeing so many youth players. Also, good to see that we managed to still win the match despite playing such an inexperienced team.

Of all the players, Mitchell really caught my eye. Think he is a winger, so he is a little suspect defensively, but was great going forward. Think we should include him in next years squad. Could come in handy when we are chasing matches and we need a little bit more from the left, assuming of course, that we don't sign a LB.

Mihai

I think we have to get used to Bailly having moments where you think he will be out for god knows how much, only for him to get back in the game minutes later like nothing happened.

As someone mentioned, he is like Vidic's Fifa regen :devil:

Klopp_De_Klown

Its very simple. The young guys proved they have something to offer. They need to be used in like 3-5 game burst sprinkled throughout the season next year. Even for 15 or 20 mins from the bench.

Brings them on, rotates our players, freshens up the whole squad with different tyles and ideas and makes it harder for teams to set up against a team they cant predict.

Not seen the full game but i thought the Keeper, Joel Castro Pereira, looked the part. Nothing to do most of the day and two very good saves when needed. Maybe others here have seen him more often and can shine a little light on this.

iKeano

Wish we'd played more of the kids through the year.... may have avoided 15 draws!

Great to see a bright future.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

Yep agreed...

Actually think Bailley is the one who would make a good captain for us. I love the tough bastard:D

Danillaco

Would love to be surprised again with a new CB like him, he was very under the radar and absolutely bossed our defense.

Shame what happened at the EL semis, he'll be sorely missed.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 350 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Man Utd 1:1 Crystal Palace
  • 13% Man Utd 0:0 Crystal Palace