PL W FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 27 February 2019

Jeffthered

Superb result. This time of year, games thick and fast..injuries, suspensions... this was a superb result.

How people can still be knocking Lukaku after this game I don't know. These games are now about results... and he won the game for us. Congratulate the guy. Let him have his moment. He's been slaughtered enough.

Schmeichel=God

Take it easy pal. You devote a longish post ridiculing him after he scored a good brace away from home in an injury-riddled team. Save the frustration for the inevitably incoming poor game somewhere down the line.
Fair point. It's been a frustrating time prior to Ole. Obviously I've made my mind up on Lukaku and live with some frustration knowing that he'll more than likely be with us for years. But of course I should hold the criticism considering his contribution proved the difference today.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So many shades of the old United in the last month or so . Players getting injured left , right and centre but those coming in are hungry to earn a place which is so nice to see . Both Lukaku and Sanchez deserve credit for always giving their best and not sulking

Fluctuation0161

Yes I'm too tough on him here. I evidently can't cope with Lukaku scoring goals :nervous: :lol:

I just find it hard to accept that two nice finishes gives a man a high score, whilst we forget about the remainder of his all round performance: the sitter, the general donkey touch nature of the man, that pass.

His overall body of work throughout a run of games is what dictates my opinion of him.

Maybe I am inhumanely harsh because the first goal in isolation is top quality striking. The second, many would sky. But put him in these situations again and do we expect him to repeat the feat? For me he's just such an untidy footballer who makes a mockery of his physicality/frame and further in my opinion sorely lacks the technique required of a Utd striker. It's too random, too inconsistent.

If he could score two every game in exchange for woefully linking play and looking like a combination of Bebe & Ali Dia at all other times...then I'll sign on the dotted line. :D
I agree with your assessment.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Didn’t see the match, working nights! But a great result. I had it down on super six as 1-1. Well pleased.

Run_time_error

Great result all things considered. Fred, no, Sanchez, no, everyone else, yes! Even Lukaku got stuck in. Young messed up for their goal although harsh to criticise Shaw as he was already covering one guy in the box. Pity those around us also won, apart from Spurs of course who have gone all Spursey. Oh it's good to be alive again. Thank you Ole and the entire coaching team!

MrBest

Average performance but incredible result. With at least 5 starters out of the game we won at a ground against a team who can beat anyone on there day. We had a number od players lacking match practice on the pitch. The desire of the squad is brilliant and i really dont mind grinding results when we need to as long as we show passion. 15 games in for Ole with 12 wins, who would of ever thought that. As each game goes by, i keep thinking well he has to lose at some point but he keeps defying the odds. We cannot afford to lose any more games this season if we want fourth. The next 30 points include 3 tough top 6 clashes. I am hoping for a minimum of 24 points which will take us to a total of 79. Perhaps we can even catch Spurs up who are only 5 points ahead and look shaky.

EliotTheRed

Managed to follow the match on text before and after an internal flight. Buzzing with the win, happy for Lukaku and Young to score, plus it’s great to see another academy lad make his debut.

Correctly predicted 3-1, should’ve stuck a fiver on it!

Cantonagotmehere

How the hell did Ole get us through that game? Half the team missing, opposition playing decent, in front of a rabid crowd and with several of our players having poor nights. And yet we come out of it with another 3 goals, another 3 points and that’s how many away wins on the bounce now? 8? Oh and we found time to give another debut to a young player. Crazy stuff.
Lovely, isn't it? Well said.

Cantonagotmehere

Yes I'm too tough on him here. I evidently can't cope with Lukaku scoring goals :nervous: :lol:

I just find it hard to accept that two nice finishes gives a man a high score, whilst we forget about the remainder of his all round performance: the sitter, the general donkey touch nature of the man, that pass.

His overall body of work throughout a run of games is what dictates my opinion of him.

Maybe I am inhumanely harsh because the first goal in isolation is top quality striking. The second, many would sky. But put him in these situations again and do we expect him to repeat the feat? For me he's just such an untidy footballer who makes a mockery of his physicality/frame and further in my opinion sorely lacks the technique required of a Utd striker. It's too random, too inconsistent.

If he could score two every game in exchange for woefully linking play and looking like a combination of Bebe & Ali Dia at all other times...then I'll sign on the dotted line. :D
Also, he was a big part of the 3rd goal and provided the ball for our 2 chances vs Liverpool.

Westlie

Allright, i know im just a newbie at this forum, and i havent read the thread BUT:

After Mourinho left, someone should have fired the one who designed the kit used today. Seriously. Like. Just get out of here.

Every goalie jersey made in the 80's and 90's for any club, anywhere, were better looking than the kit wore in tonights victory.

Ricidulous.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Missed watching the game live and feared the worst given the injuries but that's a terrific result. Well done Ole and the boys!

vivaronaldo

another away win , made it tough on ourselves at times but got there in the end and given the players out , very pleased

becoming hard not to give ole the job now

Westlie

As Ole said, if you dont shoot, you dont score. And im sorry for dragging science into the picture; but every action has a reaction. If it hadnt been for Lukaku having the sitter, the general donkey touch nature and THAT pass, he might have not scored those two goals. Every road leads to Rome, and i dont care if youre invisible or shit in 89 minutes during a game, if you can win it by being excellent in one, then im all aboard.

Its the name of the striker, if you dont score youre shit, if you score once then thats your job, score two and we are satisfied, score three and its all because of youre team mates.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Good game for most but not all. Fred was absolutely awful, especially in the first half where he seemed to give the ball away every time he had it. And some of the times it was with an easy pass that he just put out of bounds. Sanchez was awful too. I really wish he would look at Young's goal and learn something from that. Amazing what a right footed player can do when playing on the right wing. No need to stop and cut back to his good foot. Just stay on course and shoot low and hard far corner. Absolutely loved that goal. It's also nice to see Lukaku get a couple. He is a confidence player and that will definitely give him a boost. My only complaint about tonight is

ship50

Great result considering the injury situation. Sanchez disappointed once more. Don't know why he can't lift his performances. I will give Fred a little more time but he needs to improve fast. Rest were very good. I was worried about Zaha and Townsend but we kept them quiet mostly. Shaw is getting better and better. Well done!

Macern

Pee pee pants
How the hell did Ole get us through that game? Half the team missing, opposition playing decent, in front of a rabid crowd and with several of our players having poor nights. And yet we come out of it with another 3 goals, another 3 points and that’s how many away wins on the bounce now? 8? Oh and we found time to give another debut to a young player. Crazy stuff.
:D It really is. New club record for consecutive away wins as well. Unbelievable really.

BulgarianDevil91

Could Dalot be the right winger we need ?
Those stepovers really took me back and reminded me of a certain Portuguese winger we used to have. I'd much prefer having Dalot behind a true right winger with them both running riot down that right flank.

CherryBoy

• Fred was as so shocking in that first-half, he genuinely looked nervous: misplaced passes, interceptions, wrong positional sense, not tracking Townsend into the box when he could score.
  • Lukaku has redeemed himself, I hope that shutdowns all the unfair criticism
  • Young was responsible for that goal conceded but at least he paid back with a goal
  • Pogba with another assist keeps showing everyone his quality but what poor judgment he has with picking the right barber
  • I was impressed to the most with McSause, I thought he was so smooth and assured as compared to Fred in midfield
  • Overall, I'm not impressed with our general passage of play, relying on individual flashes of brilliance and riding our luck against shit teams like Palance (look at the two chances they missed in the first half) is not sustainable for a top-four finish, champions league football and potentially winning the league.

CherryBoy

We're back to 6th if Chelsea win their game in hand. Very frustrating but at least I'm enjoying football again.
Given that we still have to play both Woolwich and Cheski, I wouldn't worry too much.

stu_1992

Great result considering the injuries that we had. I'm glad to see Lukaku was able to step up in the absence of our preferred attackers. Shame to see Sanchez squander yet another chance. Happy that Garner got his debut.

Robertd0803

Yeah its pretty incredible stuff.

Was very apprehensive about the game before hand but thankfully Ole knows what he is doing and we came away with a great result.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 53% of 602 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 400 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw