PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 September 2020

Red_toad

When CP had the ball wide they had Schlupp, Townsend and Zaha with the ball and all of these players can beat defenders with dribbling and pace. When we have the ball wide we had James, Rashford and Shaw and all most of the time pass the ball back because they are not a threat.

I wonder if Rashford's back injury is still affecting him because he really has not played well since. I think he is afraid to take on defenders and use his top speed as it could put him in dangerous spots. It's rare that I see him at full speed anymore. And really he is not a good player without his speed.

Sadly, this means we need a RW and LW and it doesn't look promising we will get one.
Our tactics dictate the style of play. Palace really go for it, we play it safe and pass back. This is how the players are instructed to play. I don’t for an instant think Schlupp, Townsend or Zaha would get into our team ahead of Marcus, Martial or Greenwood.
We’re in a bot of a dilemma now, as our central defenders aren’t defending and our strikers are more concerned with retaining the ball.
I’d say we need 2 players in this transfer window. Van Beek really good, I hope we don’t coach his instincts out of him.

hobbers

We got exactly what we deserved. And when I say we I mean the board, and to some extent Ole.

Not that they'll care. It seems yoyo-ing from 6th to 4th every season is exactly aligned with their objectives. So long as we dont go too many consecutive seasons out of Europe. Ole will continue to play the patsy.

Absolute dross football today. Shit management, why are we picking 3 Championship standard players in our first game of the season? I don't care if Greenwood or AWB are lacking sharpness, the entire fecking squad is lacking sharpness and fitness, obviously.

Why do we get a sound tactical beating from a shite Palace side, who will struggle to stay up this season, yet again? They didn't have to run themselves into the ground for this result either, we didn't even go out of first gear. Second to every ball. Didn't even put a string of passes together until after the fecking penalty.

Van de Beek shouted at his team mates more after coming on than the entire team did in the preceding 65 minutes. Just a total shit show all round. Mourinho's third season here we come, except with a more smiley front man.

Also Lindelof is the most spineless centreback in the Prem and upgrading on him should absolutely be equal priority to signing a top right winger. Not that we'll be doing either.

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

Fuming. Ole's being left hung out to dry just like LvG and Mourinho before him.

He asked for a rw, lb and cb and those are the positions that let us down today.

Also how bad were those VAR decisions, wtf.

TrustInOle

Correct. It's not like season is done. But the symtoms exposed in the first match are so worrying that one can be excused for being cynical.
Taking into account how preparations for this season have happened, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more performances like this through out the league. My main concern was our fitness end of last season and today look totally of the mark.

But as I said, with how preparations were affected, I'll give this game a pass. Being negative as a fan gets you nowhere but spiralling yourself into rage.

Adcuth

Main thing I noticed was at 2nil. Palace were still working harder than us. Lazy players. Pogba is dogshit. Bruno can't do it all himself. Both centre backs are shit houses

GiddyUp

Just need some more minutes and we’ll be fine. Typical CAF over reaction as usual. Europa killed our pre-season unfortunately
Over reaction??? We were just handed our ass, at home, against Palace in the 1st game of the season.

OT1214

Why on earth was Bruno playing so deep for most of the game? He should be playing much closer to our front 3. Pogba and Maguire were competing with each other in conceding possession. Its amazing how players at this level can misplace so many passes in a single game. And Victor Lindelof.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We aren't ready to start the season yet, simple as that. We're unfit, players arent sharp, we arent organised. Analysing tactics and individual performances is almost moot if your players just aren't ready to play yet. We've had, what, two weeks off, a few training sessions (interrupted by internationals) and one preseason friendly? Being in the Europa this summer really looks like it might screw us.
Yes. This all day long. can’t draw any conclusions beyond the fact that we are not ready and they were.

It’s frustrating but I’m not sure how it could have been avoided.

Jeffthered

I know it is first game, but, blimey.... we really did look poor today. No energy at all. It was almost strange to watch. I have not seen any other of the teams looking so lethargic, the whole team, sqaud in fact (with players returning to the side..)

Difficult first week for OGS.

We need TWO centre halves (one for cover, one to play). Going to have to pay gazillions now.

Betson

I really hope people are not going to get fixated on the penalty decision.

It is just a deflection from the real story of the day , and that is just how woeful we were.

Palace done far more with their limited possession and looked to displays now have much more quality and cutting edge than us going forward.

We are used to these displays now from last season , the minor upscale in performance after the lock down last season was the exception , today is much more like the real form this team has shown over the last 2 years.

We can make excuse after excuse about pre seasons etc etc , the fact is we have too many average players to be anything more than a top 6 or top 4 team on an odd good year now and again.

It is scary to think how many pts we will finish off the top this season , this is not just based on one game but on the last few seasons with mainly the same bunch of performing under players.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Fuming. Ole's being left hung out to dry just like LvG and Mourinho before him.

He asked for a rw, lb and cb and those are the positions that let us down today.

Also how bad were those VAR decisions, wtf.
Shaw wasn't as abd as most.

Litch

forget the board, that starting 11 was a shambles. DJ and TFM on the right side?

Banana Republic

There’s no point blaming James for not offering much, when he actually tried to make an effort, unlike the so called first tier players.

Same with McTominay, who despite making a few mistakes, played better than those criticising are making out. He worked hard and was our only protection in midfield and that’s why we were swamped at times.

The blame lies elsewhere and mostly with the so called star players.

Keeping Rashford on the pitch when he was totally awful is unforgivable.
This lad has been totally over rated and even when he was in his golden patch, scoring goals and creating chances for Martial, he never really looked good enough.

There’s no excuses about fitness or coming back from injury. That’s all bollox.
If he’s not fit enough, he shouldn’t be playing, end of.
Clearly he’s deemed fit, but there’s a blindness to how poor he is and he’s selected.
Then just like the Europa semi, he’s still kept on the pitch no matter how awful he is.

Then there’s Pogba. What a waste of space.
A complete clown.
If he carries on like this, it’ll be his 5th season of mediocrity and inconsistency.
His track record across most of his senior career proves he is no way a “world class “ player.
More an unreliable enigma.

But go ahead, blame the youngsters and bleat for Utd to splash out on Sancho. As if that’ll solve anything.

dutchred

This was worse than last year v CP
The only way we will ever get better is to get relegated and begin new again.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Dreadful performance, no passion, drive or desire at all. All over the pitch, an utter disgrace and they should all hang their heads in shame, including Ole and the management.

Lot of people moaning about James but there were players far worse than him and for me he's just an easy target.

We apparently have a world class midfield with Pogba and Bruno, both were absolutely shocking, just rubbish. Why did Pogba keep trying Hollywood balls on his left foot? It was like watching Sunday football.

Rashford was another one, he's got pace to burn, yet always comes deep, its just plain lazy and makes the full backs job so easy.

The CB's were a joke, Maguire has never been convincing and its difficult to argue that we'd have been any worse playing Axel and Mengi (if fit) than him and Lindelof.

I actually felt sorry for Shaw, McT and even TFM to an extent. At least they put a shift in and gave a bit, the rest need to hang their heads in shame, and should be on the training ground first thing tomorrow morning.

Pav1878

Not a knee jerk reaction, as I feel we should get up to speed soon and will find form again.

I have felt optimistic we would win the league again at some point in the near future, even after some bad lows these past seven years. However, today was the first time since fergie left that I have felt it will be a very long time until we win it again. We seriously look like a club which needs to go through an ownership change, a manager change and restructuring of the club before we will win the league again. That could seriously take ten plus years.

DevilRed

forget the board, that starting 11 was a shambles. DJ and TFM on the right side?
I'm guessing he had no choice as AWB wasn't fit and Greenwood they are trying to rest.

Obviously Sancho would have helped immensely :lol:

TFM should be nowhere near our reserve team, let alone first team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
WHY ? as he is the one picking the team, he is the one who doesn't seem to have a fecking clue as in a plan B. He saw last season playing james on the right doesnt work, still does it, so yes while the owners can be blame for some of our problems, ole is also at fault as he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes and sits there looking as clueless as moyes did near his end here..
James has been good for Wales recently, but on the left, he is terrible on the right. Think he was making a point to Mason and it has backfired big time. Now we have a tricky game away at Brighton who play some nice football and we struggle against at times.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Our tactics dictate the style of play. Palace really go for it, we play it safe and pass back. This is how the players are instructed to play. I don’t for an instant think Schlupp, Townsend or Zaha would get into our team ahead of Marcus, Martial or Greenwood.
We’re in a bot of a dilemma now, as our central defenders aren’t defending and our strikers are more concerned with retaining the ball.
I’d say we need 2 players in this transfer window. Van Beek really good, I hope we don’t coach his instincts out of him.
I don't think Rashford is instructed to be conservative. Zaha is a better winger than Rashford and Greenwood and would definitely start. Schlupp made some great runs today and I wish he was playing for us today.

M Bison

Supports
York City
There’s no point blaming James for not offering much, when he actually tried to make an effort, unlike the so called first tier players.

Same with McTominay, who despite making a few mistakes, played better than those criticising are making out. He worked hard and was our only protection in midfield and that’s why we were swamped at times.

The blame lies elsewhere and mostly with the so called star players.

Keeping Rashford on the pitch when he was totally awful is unforgivable.
This lad has been totally over rated and even when he was in his golden patch, scoring goals and creating chances for Martial, he never really looked good enough.

There’s no excuses about fitness or coming back from injury. That’s all bollox.
If he’s not fit enough, he shouldn’t be playing, end of.
Clearly he’s deemed fit, but there’s a blindness to how poor he is and he’s selected.
Then just like the Europa semi, he’s still kept on the pitch no matter how awful he is.

Then there’s Pogba. What a waste of space.
A complete clown.
If he carries on like this, it’ll be his 5th season of mediocrity and inconsistency.
His track record across most of his senior career proves he is no way a “world class “ player.
More an unreliable enigma.

But go ahead, blame the youngsters and bleat for Utd to splash out on Sancho. As if that’ll solve anything.
I posted something similar, agree with all this. Its an easy way out to blame James/McT/TFM, its the rest of them feckers who need to be pulled up and need to take a look at themselves.

cj_sparky

I didn't expect much, with Palace having a few friendlies and a couple of games already. But today was dreadfully bad from us.

Eva spot on in post match commentary. We're exhausted as fans, even after the first game. C-suite and owners have to go.
Yep, quite surprised. Patrice is usually positive regardless of performance/ result. Him saying we make teams look better than they are, is something pointed out during our run in last season particularly Southampton and West Ham.

Everything is a bit deflating right now.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I think this is a bit harsh. The first goal he should have done better blocking the cross. The second was a fluke. The third was unlucky as he got a foot on the ball and it bounced kindly for Zaha.

I think our best midfield might be Pogba and Bruno deep and VDB up giving the first two license to make runs.
The first he made no challenge as he usually never does and runs with his hands behind his back, the second one for a change he doesn't have his hands behind his back and surprise and the third one was such a bad weak tackle. Add all the many other mistakes he made which he was lucky to get away with.
This being a useless defender is nothing new for him. Never been impressed at all in his time with us and seems to be getting worse.

He's fast approaching the player I want to leave the club the most and that is some feat considering Lingard is still here, at least he's not near the first team at present.

Our midfield looks unfit but I'm not worried about them at the moment.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Shocking result yet as I was watching it felt completely inevitable. Would have taken a draw 20 minutes in. Pogba unsurprisingly nowhere near match fit and why he started is a total mystery. Donny the only positive. I’m not going to say anything about Lindelof as it isn’t good for my health. One of the weakest centre backs I’ve seen at this level.

Dosse

In my line of work, errors Atkinson had today would have given me the boot, if not, very close to that. Sickest refereeing i have seen in a very long time!

Shimo

I think this is a bit harsh. The first goal he should have done better blocking the cross. The second was a fluke. The third was unlucky as he got a foot on the ball and it bounced kindly for Zaha.

I think our best midfield might be Pogba and Bruno deep and VDB up giving the first two license to make runs.
You are kidding right. He was being kind. There was that weak header back that we got lucky as well. He backed off every time they broke because he is scared.

He was pathetic in the semis and Ole stupidity had him starting again. If he pulls on the shirt again - will be travesty. And this coming from a person that was desperate for him to succeed.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Why on earth was Bruno playing so deep for most of the game? He should be playing much closer to our front 3. Pogba and Maguire were competing with each other in conceding possession. Its amazing how players at this level can misplace so many passes in a single game. And Victor Lindelof.
Bruno played deep when VDB came one, before that he was further up than Pogba.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Woodward has no intention of signing sancho and never has.

They spend money when we miss champions league, they don't once we get it.

The stats show it, and its not a coincidence. Its their strategy.
Sancho next summer then. Let's hope we don't miss Europe altogether.

goatboy

Ponderous in attack, woeful in defence; much of a muchness really based on the last few games of the last season and most of the first half of last season.

Players right across the pitch consistently make the wrong decision, whether that's when to play it long / short or when to clear your lines / play it out / try a cute header / pass to your teammate (that invariably goes askew / puts us under pressure.)

Lost count of the number of times we tried the hot shot hamish (despite consistently being closed down quickly) and I can't remember forcing the keeper into making a decent save?

I said at the tail end of last season Ole had earned another season after delivering a top four finish but even if he crashed and burns and was binned by Christmas who would want to work with the tools delivered by the idiot savant* Woodward?

*can't deny the man makes the Glazers a fistful of money so he does have some talent I suppose.

Siorac

This is what happens when a squad overperforms, and then there is no significant reinvestment. Shaw and Rashford were so poor today. Created nothing at all, and don't even look like being able to beat a man.

James and Fosu Mensah on the other side, the less said the better.

De Gea saved a pen finally but the ref made them retake it. That was a total disgrace from start to finish.

What a terrible start to the season. At this rate, even Spurs with Jose will start looking better than us.
When did that happen...?

Mike Buckley

Supports
Blackburn
This is hilarious. If you lots had won you would be hailing the youngsters and the ole regeneration. One defeat in 15 and your asking for ole to be sacked, moaning at the board and that the players aren't good enough fickle or what.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 394 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace