PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 05 October 2014

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The more we grind out victories the more resilient we'll get and get that winning mentality back. Great first half, complete control, their goal came against the run of play and then we were a bit rattled after. Great for falcao to get his first goal, di Maria was great as always too.

De Gea won us that match though. What a performance. Hope Shaws injury isn't anything serious and he's back after international break, comes at a good time again to get the injured players back.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Lukaku and Howard are both woefully out of form. Not sure if Lukaku was always this clumsy in possession. Howard was brilliant last year. He's completely lost it this season.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Disappointing performance - lost the spark towards the end and we were hanging on far too much for my liking. On another day, Everton could've walked away with a win let a alone the draw they deserved but for De Gea's wonderful performance!!

Also, Van Gaal YET AGAIN made the wrong substitutions!!!! Valencia was playing really well, he goes off. RVP was average today, he stays on!!

Performances like these carry on and we're in for more difficult away days!! I'm not even going to contemplate what city or Chelsea will do to us!!

itso 7

Good win but Valencia off for Fellaini was atrocious especially when we left passangers like Mata and RVP in the game. Made it look more difficult than it should have been, shit sub.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Vital 3 points and brilliant from DDG. We look like we're going to concede everytime the opposition attack but I guess that's largely due to injuries, all be it to players that have always been injury prone!

These games aren't good for the heart but we've suffered and survived yet again. It was important for Falcao to get off the mark as well. We're gonna need his goals so this should relieve the frustration we were all starting to feel. We still aren't quite finishing games strongly yet but this is another step towards our rehabilitation. Everton are a strong side and we're gonna need to pass even bigger tests like this.

Huge credit to De Gea for answering the critics again today. He was starting to look vulnerable but his ability to produce awe inspiring saves has returned at the right time. We're finally gaining some momentum and climbing the table fast.

justboy68

Some of us fans won't survive the season at this rate. Time to pop off to the doctors to check my blood pressure. De Gea what a hero, I've been worrying about his form recently but my oh my he was outstanding today.

ZDwyr

Points all that matter for me at the moment. Still some issues though. Can't see City and Chelsea struggling against us too much.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Very relieved to get the win. The defence as usual looking suspect and Everton could and should have scored an equalizer. De Gea 10/10.

WyoManU

Good win and the three points are most important, but still not overly happy. First half was good. Our shape and defense was solid, right up until Shaw lost concentration and gifted a penalty. As the second half went on we looked more and more frail and likely to concede. If not for DDG, we lose the match.

ADM looked as dangerous as ever, though they were clearly trying to prevent him any space or time on the ball.

I think RVP needs to be benched. Just don't see him providing anything for us. Don't care about reputations, he looks a waste of a player.

Falcao has got to start taking his chances. Yes, he took the winner on another scuffed shot from ADM, but he missed a couple great chances. Those have to start going in. Honeymoon period will be over soon.

Mata is a tough one for me. In so many games he does give you one or two great moments, but his overall involvement in the rest of the game is not enough. I can see why Mourinho sold him and why LVG has spoken of him as he has.

Thought Valencia did quite well in his commitment and aggression which we need.

Blind was pretty good but hasn't done as well as previous matches for me.

Rafael was solid and full of energy.

Shaw was okay for most of the game but looked lost a couple of times.

McNair was solid again, considering it was only his 2cnd match.

Rojo was also fairly solid.

Defense as a unit fell apart in the second half though. We started to gift Everton so much space and let them work simple little passes without enough pressure. We had so much rest and Evertone were still in Russia Friday morning after a Thursday night match. We should be showing more energy and stamina in games like these.

OneUnited24

The more we grind out victories the more resilient we'll get and get that winning mentality back. Great first half, complete control, their goal came against the run of play and then we were a bit rattled after. Great for falcao to get his first goal, di Maria was great as always too.

De Gea won us that match though. What a performance. Hope Shaws injury isn't anything serious and he's back after international break, comes at a good time again to get the injured players back.
This part sums it up for me, last week, for me, was a turning point for us defensively. Down to 10 men we hardly gave West Ham a sniff. Today against a good Everton side i thought we were good going forward but really careless, at the back i thought overall we looked good and the side seemed more balanced which was odd given the players we had out.

In summary, i think we are getting there and looking more like a team every week. When we get Jones/Smalling/Evans back and hopefully some reinforcements in Jan we should be more than capable of securing a champions league spot. Great win for us today and nice to see Falcao get off the mark! Who i've been a little disappointed with in the box so far... everything else is there (movement, linkup) but his finishing seems off, which isnt too hard to believe given the little football hes had so far - hopefully this will give his confidence a much needed boost.

Oh and DDG take a bow son! Was like the player of old ;)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
So happy! Don't know where to begin. We were made to work for it again but these kind of victories will help the lads believe, especially after Leicester. So many quality performances. Until the subs changed the rhythm of the game we were easily better.

Di Maria, Rafa, McNair...all class. Great to see Falcao break his duck, you could tell he was relieved. We scored two quality goals.

Special mention for De Gea. We went fully to sleep after the subs but Dave was wide awake. Those stops at the death and in injury time...

The red machine is purring again.

FromTheBench

The Subs were weird except Shaw/Blackett and put us under unnecessary additional pressure.

itso 7

Need Herrera back for sure, and need Jones as well, especially if Rojo will need to cover for Shaw.
A decision has to be made on RVP by the time they play Chelsea.
Correction, the decision that's been made needs to be corrected. He is not up to standard atm and we should try young Januzaj off Falcao for the next game.

El Zoido

We're slowly getting there. I'm delighted for Falcao, he seems like a really nice guy and the emotion just poured from him when he scored. Like a weight had been lifted.

And Dave.. what a superstar.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Key players out and still getting up to speed with LvG's system. Not the best of circumstances-yet United have won three straight at home for first time in two years and are in the mix for top 4. That's nothing to sneeze at.

DDG saved the game; Blind, Rafael and ADM were stand-outs. Shaw looked good going forward, but switched off on the penalty and the goal. McNair was very solid.

Three points-all that matters now.

Hed Zitin

We were doing really well until the last 15minutes where we went to jelly. Couldn't keep the ball. Fellaini isn't any better than Valencia at passing yet, we were much more composed with Valencia on.

Really worry about us at the back. Roco looks rubbish compare to McNair. Screw this left foot stuff, get McNair and Jones on when we can. Thank god de Gea was god like.

Really pleased with the team for 75mins.

Moonred

We were good first half. Retreated back last 10 mins and invited all the pressure unnecessarily. DDG sensational and Di Maria fantastic. Blind, McNair, Rafael, Rojo all good. Mata was poor though apart from the assist and so was RVP. Not convincing at all but remember Everton are a good team who will improve and beat teams. Good result. Falcao looked nervous so glad he managed to score.

Dylan94

We cannot expect to make top 4 hanging on to matches like this.
That's how we've won the league many a time. Mark of champions is to hold on to a one goal lead. Mourinho is master of it.

Ash_G

Important win again and just shows that we're getting some belief back. I don't think people are really factoring in the injuries we've had which do make a massive difference.

Have to say though I think we need to keep the tempo better. Last few games when we've gotten the lead I think we've slowed our pace with Rojo being quite guilty in particular at slowing the tempo down. Blind could do more as well to keep the pace up. With the weakness at the back we need to sty on the front foot as when the other team do get it down we become more exposed. Given Everton played midweek we didn't look a whole lot more refreshed than them.

Thought the subs were a bit questionable again, RVP and Mata looked the ones that were knackered or just not quite on the same wavelength in RVPs case. Surprised as well that Januzaj didn't get on ahead of Wilson. Fellaini didn't look up to speed at all.

Still with two weeks or so to get more players fit we could look a lot stronger after the break and with Falcao scoring, Di Maria in great form, Herrera to come back in as well as Carrick and the defenders we're in a good spot. We've dropped points we didn't want to have so far but there's enough here to get a few results against the top teams to get the points we'd want to be on.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's how we've won the league many a time. Mark of champions is to hold on to a one goal lead. Mourinho is master of it.
Yes but with a little more control over the match and not rely on crazy saves from the keeper. We're more likely to lose points than win them playing in this scared manner

MoskvaRed

Plenty of positives - De Gea outstanding, the two fullbacks had good games (rash/unlucky penalty outside), Valencia looked like he might provide a useful midfield option, Di Maria superb again and Falcao off the mark. On the downside, midfield still looks underpowered, RVP is growing old fast and Mata still looks a bit lightweight to me. For all the criticism he attracts, Rooney is a vital cog of this team.

OneUnited24

The Subs were weird except Shaw/Blackett and put us under unnecessary additional pressure.
I think Falcao is still getting his fitness up, would explain how he tends to get to 65/70 min before LvG take him off. I would agree about Valencia, i thought that was one of the best games i've seen from him in a while but he needs to give Felliani a chance to get some minutes on the board - given our injury problems this season we might need him!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We deserved to win, de gea saved the day but overall we were the better team and should've scored more.
Yes. Falcao could have had at least two but understandable he was a bit anxious in getting his first goal. Glad he broke through and expecting him to build on that.

kundalini

Far too many players that underperformed today. Despite his goal, Falcao was less impressive than his previous starts. RVP awful, kept hold of the ball too long. Mata good pass for his assist and one decent tackle, otherwise a waste of time. Valencia worked hard. De Gea, Rafael and Di Maria all superb. Blind very good especially in the first half. Shaw poor. Rojo and McNair unconvincing. Blackett the only sub to make a positive contribution with his late block.

walkinhop

Lukaku and Howard are both woefully out of form. Not sure if Lukaku was always this clumsy in possession. Howard was brilliant last year. He's completely lost it this season.
As i mentioned in the Pool - Everton game, Lukaku lacks presence. Like he is occupied with something else.

Infra-red

Decent performance for 75 minutes, then a bizarre period of complete disorganisation, that De Gea's heroics aside, would be remembered as yet another capitulation. We simply cannot defend, particularly from crosses or high balls into the box, and nor can we close games out.

Overall... relieved.

Devil may care

Hard fought point, Di Maria was class and Falcao's movement was excellent, glad to see him get his goal as that will settle him into things IMO. Rafael and De Gea were our top 2 performers for me though, both showed leadership and played a huge role in the 3 points.

Under the circumstances I thought Rojo and McNair did ok but I think we clearly need a dominator who will win more in the air. Mata and RvP were poor but Valencia has his best game in ages and I thought Blind did really well considering how completely isolate he is at times in this system.

We are heading in the right direction mentally but I feel we are still unbalanced and it';s making for a nervy experience and difficulty in closing games out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Important win, even if we were very lucky.

Di Maria and De Gea a class above (DDG even saved a penalty!).

Defence still looks uncomfortable and we gave Everton way to much opportunity to get back into the game. A better team would've punished us.

Still, the underlying positives are certainly there. We just need to keep building on them.

Mister_Stubbs

3 vital points,
back to back wins in the league,
Another Angel masterclass,
Falcao first goal,
David de Gea...

Top day.

FromTheBench

I think Falcao is still getting his fitness up, would explain how he tends to get to 65/70 min before LvG take him off. I would agree about Valencia, i thought that was one of the best games i've seen from him in a while but he needs to give Felliani a chance to get some minutes on the board - given our injury problems this season we might need him!
Should have brought on Januzaj for Falcao first as he is more tactically flexible for me. Still that was fine if you wanted to keep Wilson central on the counter but he then didn't take off RVP but shifted Wilson out wide where Januzaj is much more natural. Wilson made 2 key mistakes tracking back which could have been costly and his pace went out of the game.

And Fellaini should have come on for one of RVP or Mata. Probably RVP so we could hoof it to him and let Wilson play off it.

Instead we ended up with RVP who was a passenger by that time, a struggling Fellaini and Wilson struggling out wide.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We just need to be more clinical. No relaxing when we've scored. And honestly, no more Fellani. Oh and RVP needs to start upping his performances. Much as I like him he really needs to get a move on or he has to be benched. But overall very relieved. We played great for about 70 mins or so, but thank God for De Gea! Will do his confidence a world of good!

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The undroppable RVP problem looks like it might become a worry. It seemed so counter productive to take Falcao off when he was getting chances and had just got off the mark.

We'll wait and see.
Falcao wasn't playing better than RVP up until the goal. Both were relatively anonymous and wasteful with the chances they got.

EDIT: I think the reason Falcao was taken off is because he lacks the fitness for a full 90 minutes.

Dylan94

Yes but with a little more control over the match and not rely on crazy saves from the keeper. We're more likely to lose points than win them playing in this scared manner
True. But we're still in the very early stages of this rebuild and transformation. The most important thing for the next 4/5 games is to continue to get the wins and keep up with the front runners. Which we are doing. Once we get players back and in particular defenders, playing consistently together, things will improve.

vidic blood & sand

Falcao wasn't playing better than RVP up until the goal. Both were relatively anonymous and wasteful with the chances they got.

EDIT: I think the reason Falcao was taken off is because he lacks the fitness for a full 90 minutes.
That and LVG is easing him back from his injury. Played about 75 mins today, so It'll probably be about 85 mins next game.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 93% of 975 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 637 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw