PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 September 2017

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Re watching the match and we definately werent bad, we were good for most of the game. The control pogba gives us over games is what we were missing and what most people are confusing as playing badly and winning. At best everton ahd a good 20-30 mins scattered over 90. Also matic is so so fundamental for us, its amazing to see.Lukaku off the ball movement is incredible and Mata's intelligence makes us tick, Mkhi on the other hand even after his great numbers isnt playing well somehow.

ti vu

The problem with those complaining about the game at one nil, is that they seem to have forgotten the literally hundreds of games where we did exactly the same as this under Fergie over the years.

I've lost count of the amount of games I've watched us score early against a shit team and then gone on to do absolutely feck all else, even riding our luck to keep the score at one nil over the the years.

We have never been a side that goes week in week out and batters teams 3/4 nil every game, and we've put in plenty of worse winning performances than the one yesterday.
Problem is not how tough the game can become for us before the second goal. It's more about some players clearly way below their normal level, which is worrisome.

themoyesboy

Am I the only one who's super irritated about us being displayed as being No. 2 in the PL table??

Shouldn't it be No. 1 for both and then Chelsea No. 3.

What crap Alphabetical Order shit is this. If we end like this, will they give the title to City? Nonsense. Irks the shite outta me.
I was more irritated by people cheering home the City goals against Liverpool. I pointed out the GD thing at the time, and I was told it was too early to care about that. So I guess it's too early for you to care about how they sort the league table too.

I still don't understand prioritising our hatred for Liverpool, over seeing a result that would be better for our title ambitions. There is no chance Liverpool will win the league this year. I think City are deservedly the big favourites to win it, and we need them to be dropping points in games against the likes of Liverpool. They will make mincemeat of a lot of the lesser teams this season with their attack.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Problem is not how tough the game can become for us before the second goal. It's more about some players clearly way below their normal level, which is worrisome.
It's happened before, it will happen again, we forget Ronaldo/Berbatov/Rooney/Saha/RVN fluffing their lines in these matches, Carrick not being able to find his arse with both hands for months at a time etc.

What would have been different yesterday is even Fergie would have made changes earlier, I doubt very much whether Rashford would have gotten a chance to keep stinking the place out after half time, and one of Mata/Miki would most likely have been hooked earlier.

What matters is that the players understand that they need to maintain focus and step up a level and then maintain that level, if they don't and we get another couple of matches like this, then we need to start asking questions.

SAFicus

The team seriously need to start getting their heads up and making better decisions in the final third.

Rashford, Mata and even Mhiki were all terrible at it yesterday.

It was actually Lukaku who was first to do it right for the second showing his team spirit as well. So much for "All he can do is shoot".

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's different. They were talking about Pogba having seen him at best in the left of a midfield three for Juventus, none to do with what's on Mourinho's mind.
You obviously were not in the Herrera thread last year.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I was more irritated by people cheering home the City goals against Liverpool. I pointed out the GD thing at the time, and I was told it was too early to care about that. So I guess it's too early for you to care about how they sort the league table too.

I still don't understand prioritising our hatred for Liverpool, over seeing a result that would be better for our title ambitions. There is no chance Liverpool will win the league this year. I think City are deservedly the big favourites to win it, and we need them to be dropping points in games against the likes of Liverpool. They will make mincemeat of a lot of the lesser teams this season with their attack.
Hope KDB gets injured. He seems to be the lynch-pin of all their attacks. He's brilliant.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This no Pogba thing is going to be an issue.
We're not quite as creative but we're obviously just as clinical. Without him we've won 3-0 and 4-0. As long as he's back for the Liverpool game I'm not worried.

Safa Boy

Awful performance yesterday, but at least we won. In previous seasons we would have either drawn or lost the game in the dying minutes. Hopefully we're better next time out.

Shark

@NotShark
You would think a lot of our fans would know a what constitutes an ''awful performance'' after the 3 years of misery we went through, but obviously not.

MrBest

I thought Fellaini was brilliant today. He was like a human wall in midfield. When we were in possession he even got involved alot in the buildup, stretching the play with his wide runs. I may have missed a couple of minutes cooking food, but to me, he had a really good game, I'd say one of our best players today.
For me not. U put a player in that same position and u have a team thay can penetrate. Hes too static and one dimensional for a top 4 side. The amount of times he gets the ball in a good position and distributes sideways or backwards is so frustrating. I think hes great off the bench to hold games but Ander should defo start. He more likely to move the ball forward and look for that through ball ... just my view though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought, bar about 20 minutes in the second half, we played very well over all. 4-0 was a tiny bit flattering, but not by much... if we'd won 2 or 3-0 I don't think that would have been "undeserved" at all.

Hamadovich86

I thought we played really well in the first half and should've killed them off then. In the second half it was just really sloppy but Everton didnt capitalize on their chances. We're definitely less creative without Pogba but we did create chances and the forwards should've taken them.

That said we won 4-0 and were dominant for most of the match, Matic was fantastic yet again so I cant complain.

Safa Boy

The team seriously need to start getting their heads up and making better decisions in the final third.

Rashford, Mata and even Mhiki were all terrible at it yesterday.

It was actually Lukaku who was first to do it right for the second showing his team spirit as well. So much for "All he can do is shoot".
Rashford was the worst for me. He needs to stop overplaying everything. Too often he beats defenders only to allow them to catch up to him again. He needs to make quicker decisions when he's in space.

Safa Boy

You would think a lot of our fans would know a what constitutes an ''awful performance'' after the 3 years of misery we went through, but obviously not.
Hey man! Jose said we should forget those years, so that's exactly what I'm doing. ;)

reelworld

You can't expect teams to play flawless all the time.
In 1999 United almost surrender a 3-0 lead at home to 10 man Blackburn. Blackburn got relegated that season and we went on to win the treble.
Players will make mistakes, they will missed open goals, they will concede silly goals. Sometimes they got overrun by so called weaker teams, but in the end the only thing that matters is where will we end up in the table.
Honestly, I am enjoying the hell out of the season so far, warts and all

barmyarmy

Did anyone notice souness comments on pogba :

“If I was managing a team against Man Utd, I’d be happier with Pogba on the pitch than him(fellaini).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We're not quite as creative but we're obviously just as clinical. Without him we've won 3-0 and 4-0. As long as he's back for the Liverpool game I'm not worried.
All these factors are linked for me. Less creativity means less opportunity to be clinical. But most importantly for me, the issue is less control - and my fear is that if WE aren't controlling the game, there's a good chance that the other team is. If not, at the very least, the game will be more open than we'd like it to be, and on another day, Everton would have gotten something.

My fear is Matic and Fellaini don't have enough to hold on to the flow of a game for us.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Re-watch the game up to the 20min mark, then switch to the 80min mark. Just take it that we took our foot off the pedal after going 4-0 up and saw out the remaining 60min in 1st gear. It's the same result but you should feel much better about the game watching it this way.
Yes, I was at the match!
It was exactly how you describe it, but I'm still not sure where a our game plan went during those 60 minutes, we seemed to change down two gears after we scored? The trouble is when we do that it gives encouragement to the opposition to try to 'do something'. Everton looked ready to be rolled over after Valencia's wonder goal they looked dead and buried, but we stood back, through some water (metaphorically) on them to revive them and sent for Dr Rooney, who breathed life back into them.
Wayne never really looked a happy bunny though did he?

Todd

Last season this would've ended 1-1, probably. Being able to get 4 goals in a match like this one is pretty awesome.

Young at LB is clearly our best bet.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- Bad performance...but the commentary slant that Everton were all over us and unlucky to be losing was annoying me. Even during their good spell of the game, the score remaining at 1-0 required us to spack up countless opportunities and do things like not shoot when there was no goalkeeper in the goal. They had two good chances and one half chance, with both of the good chances being down to our defenders being bafflingly determined to play them through on goal.

- Too many instances of our players all gathering round an Everton player, and then none of them actually trying to tackle him, so the Everton player then just runs off leaving all of our players standing there like a right bunch of bellends.

- Mata wont shoot when he is given the ball just outside the area with the goalkeeper not even in the goal...nor will he pass the ball so someone else can shoot instead. Yet he is happy to shoot and nearly score from a free kick from EXACTLY the same position, with the goalkeeper and and entire wall of players in the way? Why are our players such fecking idiots sometimes?

- Mkhitaryan opts not to play a simple 6 yard pass to play Rashford through on goal, in order to try and chip the ball over the entire Everton defence into a space about 20cm big for Lukaku to try and run into? WHY??

- Everton only seemed to have two ways of playing. a) everyone in defence, b) Midfield and forwards push up so the defenders can repeatedly pass the ball to Manchester United players and nearly concede a goal.

- Herrera blatantly ignoring team instructions to stand as still as possible when brought on.

- I still don't understand what Fellaini's position is in a game. Matic seemed to be on his own in midfield.

- Matic play good

- Enjoy Valencia goal

- I like that Martial was extremely selfish with the penalty. Shows a hunger that wasn't there last season.

- Jess Lingard actually improved us when he came on. Good running. Should have had a penalty. Still did that stupid handshake.

- Graham Souness would rather have Fellaini in his team than Paul Pogba apparently.

RedDevil@84

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but can someone help me with why Herrera didnt start. Did we really need Fellaini's physical abilities opposed to the opportunities Herrera creates and overall cleverer play. I think the performances of Mata and Miki would have been better if Herrera started.
Not to mention bringing Lingard on.
I think Jose fecked that up and the score totally flatters the strategies.

prtk0811

We could have scored 6 goals If we took all our chances and also made some good passing decisions in the final theird namely mata when he intercepted a ball from pickford. Alternatively De gea made some good saves and we could have conceeded too if they were clinical.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We could have scored 6 goals If we took all our chances and also made some good passing decisions in the final theird namely mata when he intercepted a ball from pickford. Alternatively De gea made some good saves and we could have conceeded too if they were clinical.
I am still sat here open mouthed at that Lukaku miss. :lol:

Acole9

Outstanding
Did anyone notice souness comments on pogba :

“If I was managing a team against Man Utd, I’d be happier with Pogba on the pitch than him(fellaini).
Yes I did. He's never had a good word to say about Pogba.

Denis79

One of SAF's strengths was to win playing poorly also. I remember fans wanting SAF out because of how our play was even though he got us the results. This isn't even remotely close to the shit served under LVG and Moyes, I'm delighted how fast and much we have grown with Mourinho. Long may this "poor" football continue.

marlowe78

I think this was a very middling performance outside of the first 15 minutes and especially the last 15. After Valencia brilliantly scored, we kept pressuring them but soon dropped off and let them back into the game. De Gea's role in the 3 points today can't be forgotten because our defenders had another mare and gave them chances they really should've scored on.

Lukaku had an opportunity at 1-0 to really put the game away but missed after a nice turn of foot. For whatever reason we fell back into a defensive posture after that and pretty much let Everton have their way in coming forward. I don't think it was complacency like some people are talking about, I think it was Jose's instructions to fall back and hit them on the counter, which got us into problems when we played them at Goodison last season.

If this was Jose's instructions, IMO we were too light in MF. If you are going to concede possession to the opponent for so long, Herrera should've started and given us an active body in the middle instead of Mata, who is quite useless when we're not in control of the ball. Everton were cutting through the middle third at will and I don't think it was necessarily because Pogba wasn't playing, it's because we were playing a 3 with 1 of the 3 being too small and slow to stop attacks. It all became irrelevant when Mkhitaryan made it 2-0 and we broke the game open but we definitely need to be playing with more drive than we did for most of the game.

Positives:

* De Gea still the best keeper in Europe.

* Potential Goal of the Year by Valencia.

* Young quite good again at LB. Perhaps a short-term solution?

* Good, steady performances from Fellaini and Matic.

* Martial very good again off the bench.

* Great perseverance by Lukaku. His miss in the 1st half would get other players down but he kept going and found the net later on. That's a sign of a very good player.

* Koeman closer to being sacked.

Negatives:

* I thought Bailly was again very poor. He's not picking up runners at all and was again careless in front of goal. Rooney almost took him for a fool.

* Mkhitaryan needs to pass instead of trying to beat every man that's in front of him.

* Lingard wasn't bad but he can be quite annoying.

On a scale of 10, I'd give this about a 6. I would've given it 5 if it wasn't for the last-minute outburst, which did make the result a bit flattering. We need to take our chances when we get them early and stop letting teams off after going 1-0 up.

Fun fact: the BBC web site says that Everton did not have a touch in our half during the first 10 minutes of the game.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 676 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Everton
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Everton