PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 September 2017

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
well, if you think we deserved to win today then being happy with the performance isn't being 'result oriented' anymore, is it
We absolutely deserve to win this game but I'm not being overwhelmed by the performance.

We had a bad period during the most of the second half. However, I am more than happy to take this 4-0 win and try to improve for the games that come, instead of, for example, ending in a frustrating 1-1 draw and have to do the same thing.
Everton have only themselves to blame as they throw in the towel after the second goal. I'm pleased also by the reaction of the players who wanted to score as much as possible in those last few minutes.

carlosp

Was watching up until the 80th min thinking how shit we'd been in the second half and then bang!

Still, well chuffed with the result but would like for us to put teams away before the 80th min comes around.
Was it Gary Neville(Phil Neville?) in the 78th minute saying Ronald Koeman will be happy with Everton? 5 minutes later boom, that all changed. :D

AndyMUFC

That was the most undeserving 4-0 win I've ever seen :lol:

We were coasting for most of the game and could've easily let a really poor Everton side back into it but again finished the game off at the end again. Definitely a positive to win like that when we weren't even on song though.

Member 57516

City flying high on alphabetical order.

Could be their best hope for the title...
In all seriousness, what happens if we finish the season like this? They wouldn't really win the title based on the alphabet would they?

Sorry if it's a dumb question..

Nick7

In all seriousness, what happens if we finish the season like this? They wouldn't really win the title based on the alphabet would they?

Points, goal difference, goals for, playoff. They are the tie breakers

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We absolutely deserved 4-0. There were no offside goals or goals which should've been disallowed.
Everton got everything they deserved today and they were lucky it wasn't 5 or 6.

For the last few years I have witnessed a steady decline in our expectations and performances.
We finally have a Galactico class manager who is having us pummel teams and some of you saying "We didn't deserve to score so many goals". WTF!!!!

Yes, the performance was far from perfect, but the scoreline reflects perfectly what happened on the pitch. Everton did not have 25 shots on goal, with no result. We dominated Everton and the scoreline reflects this.
Agreed. As Mourinho said, we would have been fully deserving to have led 3-0 after 35 mins. Everton are still a top 10 team, so were always going to have a dominant period in the game. But we withstood all there pressure and tactics and then applied the gas in the final 15 mins to devastating effect.

I'll happily accept such performances all season long vs the dominant bully boy draws that we inflicted upon ourselves at Old Trafford last season. The progress in finishing and conversion is significant (4 goals from 7 shots on target and 16 in total).

Denis79

Poor performance vs a poor team. Anyone 'very happy' must be a pretty result oriented person... results orientation doesn't get you anywhere over the long term, just makes you feel good over the short term. Hopefully we improve massively in coming games without pog
How many titles have we not won by playing badly but still getting the 3 points? During the SAF years this is what made us champions so many times, call it a cliche but there's something in it.

freeurmind

weak willed
How many titles have we not won by playing badly but still getting the 3 points? During the SAF years this is what made us champions so many times, call it a cliche but there's something in it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. How many games were Chelsea average but ended up winning last season? Real Madrid also and they won La Liga and the CL. I don't mind results oriented football as long as we get the right results.

hn4manunited

The way the game started, it could have been a lot worse for Everton if lukaku scored that chance early in the first half. It could have been more than 4.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Saw a stat that Everton had more possession is that right? They did pass it around well but it didn't create much.

Tarrou

Bringing in Rooney is really gonna feck up their season. Long season ahead for their fans. They are so slow all over the pitch.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Woodward will do a midseason name change to AAA Manchester United, just incase.

surf

Not yet totally sold on Jones and Bailly individually or as a partnership. They are lucky to have Dave behind them. Still, another clean sheet, onwards and upwards.

Rooney's best game at Old Trafford for a couple of years. They fell apart after he went off.

vivaronaldo

started strong , got our goal and has been the norm didn't kill teams off till late on

thought we missed pogba today ,his presence is key for us so will need to tackle his absence in next few weeks carefully

Last edited:

reelworld

I swear those who complains about a 4-0 win already forget what it's like under Moyes and Van Gaal. Remember that and be thankful you cnuts

Sereques

You don't understand much about football tactics if you didn't see the impact Lingard brought today. I'm sorry, that's just fact. Martial wouldn't have had the impact without Lingard. Period.
If they had equalize and we dropped points, you won't be saying that. Lingard didn't offer anything new sir, he offered less than what Rashford was giving us. Putting Lingard on at that moment did not make us stronger.

moodyred

For those who claim that we would have lost our lead and drawn 1-1 in games like this last season, i beg to differ. That was during LVG time. Last season we probably would have won 1-0. We had too many drawn games last season either because the opponent scored first or we just can't find the net.

For those we said we played like sh** and do not deserve 4 goals, I beg to differ. We played like sh** for a large part of the game, but substituting fresh legs who can take down the Everton defence was no fluke. The substitutes were made purposefully and did what they were set out to do. Tear down the defence. Maybe not expecting 4 goals but perhaps 3.

For those who say we still don't do well with Rooney on the pitch, I agree.

Matic is the main difference between last season and this.

Last edited:

Klopp_De_Klown

4-0 was about fair as was already pointed we could n should of scored more in the first half. But then tbf neverton could of had one themselves.

Happy enough with most of it but again we get a sloppy period in games where we allow teams to dominate. Better sides will expose this and you coudl say we'd also be more clued in against better sides.

Seen the Real game, ballbag will be trying to prove himself right again by saying they will sign DDG who was amazing again for us.
Tony V took his goal lovely and had an otherwise mostly solid game as did Young. Jones and Bailly were off again I thought, words will need to be had. Whats happened in the last 2 games is a little worrying but fixable.
The midfield without Pogba was the midfield without Pogba. Matic solid, Mata and Mkhi their usual selves and Fellaini was
ok but he is no Pogba
Srikers were the same as always except with Rash not but not his effective self.

We were good, could of been better and were luckuy not to be punished for it. In the end Jose's subs were again excellent he has that down to tee.

edcunited1878

If they had equalize and we dropped points, you won't be saying that. Lingard didn't offer anything new sir, he offered less than what Rashford was giving us. Putting Lingard on at that moment did not make us stronger.
If, woulda, coulda, shoulda...really? If Giggs hadn't scored the extra time winner down 10 men against Arsenal at Villa Park, his legendary status wouldn't be as strong?

I mean seriously...if Rashford was offering anything, which he wasn't, he wouldn't have been hauled off at the hour. Meanwhile, when Lingard was on the pitch for half an hour, United were plus 3 in GD. Putting Lingard on at that moment was the first sustained piece of change for United when the match called for change. Lingard was popping up all over the pitch put pressure on Everton and was very unpredictable in his movement and positioning. Martial and Lingard linked up wonderfully in the transition phase prior to Martial's penalty.

Lingard was a spark off the bench and was the polar opposite of Rashford today.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Not convince with our starting XI, Mata seems to regress. It seems Rashford and Martial doesn't do any favour to themselves. It seems every time anyone start, they play shit and they only play well coming on as a sub. This seems to be happening every time. Now, I understand why Jose wants Persic. Young seems to play well on the left back position providing more attacking threat. Valencia's goal will be the contender for goal of the season, sweetly stuck volley.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Could only watch halfway, cause of work, but till he was taken off, this Rooney guy was probably the best player on the pitch, anyone know what he's worth?
Might be a goot #10 behind Lukaku...
I bet Everton will sell, if we give them a good offer.

hubbuh

That is complete horseshit. Rashford was impotent all game whereas Lingard asked questions and put himself about. You're just recycling the same boring agenda against Lingard.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Am I the only one who's super irritated about us being displayed as being No. 2 in the PL table??

Shouldn't it be No. 1 for both and then Chelsea No. 3.

What crap Alphabetical Order shit is this. If we end like this, will they give the title to City? Nonsense. Irks the shite outta me.

moodyred

Am I the only one who's super irritated about us being displayed as being No. 2 in the PL table??

Shouldn't it be No. 1 for both and then Chelsea No. 3.

What crap Alphabetical Order shit is this. If we end like this, will they give the title to City? Nonsense. Irks the shite outta me.
Shouldn't be a worry. Correct me if I am wrong, but there will be a play-off should that happen. In anycase, if we want to change our name, perhaps "1 Manchester United"? Numbers would come before alphabets right?

ti vu

He was terrible, where is the Southampton player ?? What's happened to him ?
LVG ate his soul. Now he seems to lose his natural game on top of not making progress in the direction LVG try to make him.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The problem with those complaining about the game at one nil, is that they seem to have forgotten the literally hundreds of games where we did exactly the same as this under Fergie over the years.

I've lost count of the amount of games I've watched us score early against a shit team and then gone on to do absolutely feck all else, even riding our luck to keep the score at one nil over the the years.

We have never been a side that goes week in week out and batters teams 3/4 nil every game, and we've put in plenty of worse winning performances than the one yesterday.

Ashley R1+O

Didn't think we were that bad to be honest. May not have completely controlled the game but when we pulled the finger out we completely killed off the game late on, was great to see. Three more points and the reds go marching ON ON ON.

TehRed

If both teams had taken all of the decent chances that they had in the game, and if we'd have had a penalty for the foul by Williams, it probably would have ended up about 7-2 to us. Now that really would have been incredibly flattering, but hey, you take your chances. At the very least, Lukaku should have put us 2-0 up in the first half. I hope he'll work on that.

Everton had two decent chances and I never really felt like either one was a "big" chance, Dave had them covered and he closed the space down well in both cases. It wasn't like he had to pull off a worldy to keep either one out, i'd expect him to make those saves and he did. A clean sheet wasn't flattering for us, but was the four goals we scored? We just took the chances. Williams handed us the chance for 2-0, but Lukaku still had to make a decent assist and Mkhitaryan still needed to put it past the keeper. Were we lucky to have a deflected pass get flicked on to Lukaku at the back post for 3-0? Maybe, but Lingard still had to get his head on it and Lukaku still had to finish it. The penalty was rightly given, and I felt we should have had another one. Lukaku's missed effort in the first half also had a touch of luck about it with the dodgy pass, but as before, it still needed finishing and in this case he didn't get it done.

It wasn't quite as completely dominant a performance from us as we had against West Ham for example, it felt more like the Swansea game where the opposition had a couple of chances but we had more and we took ours.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 676 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Everton
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Everton