PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 October 2018

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lukaku came on and we went down to 10 men. He wasn't putting their defence on the backfoot with runs between their lines. He was not making himself available for passes. He was still trying to flick the headers backwards. Why the feck does he do that? Watch rashford a few times in the first half - whenever he tried to head the ball he always aimed it back to our midfielders. Trust your midfielders to win second ball. Anyway, we ended the match looking a lot more shaky than needed

Siorac

I enjoyed that, even though it wasn't particularly convincing. Pogba, mistake aside, and Martial played really well. There was some good fluid football in there. Lindelöf seems to be improving, let's hope it's not just a flash in the pan.

Matic is terrible still and Lukaku is in a serious crisis.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maybe I’ve overlooked it through the thread, but everyone seems to be overlooking the dive by Martial because of the much needed win. Was a classic Vardy-style, throw your leg at the opponent in the box type penalty. I’d have been livid if that had been given the other way. Take nothing away from his goal however
He didn't throw his leg at him. :confused:

Yes he absolutely went down theatrically, but at the end of the day the defender came in, got a slight touch on the ball but not enough to really change anything. After the touch on the ball however, the defenders leg went between Martial's legs in a way where it was pretty much impossible for Martial to avoid contact. Martial certainly didn't stick his leg out to get the contact.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lukaku was just as bad as my worst fears before we signed him. Absolute nothing upfront, slow to react and missed a free header.

Anyone supporting him or Mourinho's brainless insistence on playing him needs to have a word with themselves.

mitch120

Scrappy win a draw would of been fair tbh. Don't know why people making out we played very good or something the game was pretty even Everton had plenty of chances they just where worse than us at finishing .

Last edited by a moderator:

joleb

I loved it when Martial sprinted back to help the defence. He has done a few times today.

Last edited by a moderator:

roseguy64

I don't get how and why scousers comment on our games.

Ander should be starting games instead of Matić.
Too much is made of Lukaku sub, he shouldn't be starting but you can't just scrap him totally.
To some here it's a wonder it's a wonder Lukaku ever scored a goal in his life he's that terrible a footballer. Must be luck. Expected to see more posts about the team and positivity, not half the the posts slating a player whose only mistake was missing a chance due to his poor form.

Tony Babangida

Was fairly even until the pen, then we settled and played some good stuff until we conceded against the run of play. Didn’t really mind the Pogba mistake, the vast majority of the time he pulls those skills off, it’s a big part of his game.

Had chances (Lukaku, Martial) to make it three. Probably deserved a third goal. Shame Lukaku didn’t score, he needs a goal to go in off his shin or something as he looks depressed on the pitch at the moment.

tomaldinho1

We tried to attack throughout the game and, whilst far from being where we need to be, it was a positive result and performance.

Our left flank is actually pretty decent, Shaw and Martial and good players and Pogba is a class act offensively - although annoying how he gave the ball away. Imagine if our RW & RB were top players we would carry much more threat and be so much more balanced.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
When we get the ball down and play football we look really good. Confidence is a real problem for the team overall, especially when teams come back at us, we always seem to look like we're going to concede.
Pogba goes from the sublime to the ridiculous in a heartbeat even when he's playing well, i'd much rather see a good solid 90 minutes from him, just do that and his ability will win more games than not.
Lukaku was awful.

GwilDor

Been a couple of hours, so i might miss a few of the initial reactions.
1. The movement today was something else than what we have seen for a long, long time. Would be interesting to see statistics to see if this means we ran more as a unit today, or if it means we simply ran differently. It makes a world of difference to mentality, cause running for attack is much easier mentally than running for defense.

2. Love to see Lindelöf gaining some confidence. His star is not burned out yet. If he continues to improve, i would actually not be surprised if he was the one we´re buying a companion too when january/summer comes. Smalling, imo, is more or less playing to his max ability these days, and that is not enough, sorry to say.

3. Martial. He has always had it in him to provide moments of brilliance, and even several of them in a single match. What is relatively new is his acquired ability to track back and do defensive work. This is what makes him go first on the team sheet. Love it!

4. Rash/Lukaku: As others have said, its not that Rashford does a perfect, or even great game. Its that his movement makes everyone else look good. Lukaku, even though he plays only 20 minutes, fail at more or less everything he attempts. I´m not gonna suggest a way out of this for him, he has to find it himself, but he is headed down a blind alley atm. Lets do Rashford or Sanchez up top until Lukaku can find some confidence through subs. I´m not giving up on him by any means, i think he can become quite good for us tbh, if he can put together the pieces of the puzzle. Right now he looks like a nothing player though.

5. Shaw: Does seem to react well to the spell of starts. He looks 90% great, but does have his lapses of concentration defensively. I´m sure Mourinho sees this clearer than i do, but this has to be something they work on. Even if it cost us nothing today, there was plenty of chances to take advantage of Shaw/Martial defensive situation.
improvement

6. Mata: He was not as good today, imo, as he has been for the last few games. But i think we need to admit the recent , Juventus game aside, in style and effort, coincides with the reintroduction of Mata to the team. Probably makes it easier for Mourinho to keep playing him since Lukaku has a dry spell.

Probably more i´d like to say, but this post is too long already.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s very gradual, but yes there is growth; yes there is improvement. Honourable mentions; Young; Shaw; Lindelof; Mike. Better - a bit - from Fred. Of course Pogba and Martial still stole the show.

Irwin99

Hats off to Lindelof again. Hope he's getting more and more confidence. Young was pretty decent but Shaw seemed a bit muted again.

Ban

To some here it's a wonder it's a wonder Lukaku ever scored a goal in his life he's that terrible a footballer. Must be luck. Expected to see more posts about the team and positivity, not half the the posts slating a player whose only mistake was missing a chance due to his poor form.
Seems so you don't read cafe enough. :)
It's the standard.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Good game for most spells, it's no coincidence that our movement was better without Lukaku.Fred also brought a lot of pace and energy.
I would like to see a midfield trio of Fred Ander,and Pogba.A front three of Martial,Rash and Sanchez.

Mata was OK,and Lindlelof is improving.

Sing you a song

Key points for me today .

Martial was excellent ( and I have been one of his biggest critics )This performance should stop all the demands for him to be played at CF as coming from the left and shooting with his right is definitely his best position .

Mata once again showing he’s by a mile the best “ number 10 “ at the club and is at last being played in his best position .

Pogba beginning to find his feet at last but needs to stop trying so hard to be different his penalty technique is pure attention seeking self indulgence and I dread to think what may have happened today if the rebound hadn’t fallen for him it could have changed the course of the game .

Thought Fred did well I liked his industry in the middle he didn’t stop running and I’m sure we will see the best of him in the second half of the season.

Lindelof looking better with every game and hopefully will now establish himself.

Lukaku looked beyond dreadful when he came on . I’ve never been a fan of him and was gutted when we signed him but I didn’t expect him to be this poor. A new CF should be our main priority

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Key points for me today .

Martial was excellent ( and I have been one of his biggest critics )This performance should stop all the demands for him to be played at CF as coming from the left and shooting with his right is definitely his best position .

Mata once again showing he’s by a mile the best “ number 10 “ at the club and is at last being played in his best position .

Pogba beginning to find his feet at last but needs to stop trying so hard to be different his penalty technique is pure attention seeking self indulgence and I dread to think what may have happened today if the rebound hadn’t fallen for him it could have changed the course of the game .

Thought Fred did well I liked his industry in the middle he didn’t stop running and I’m sure we will see the best of him in the second half of the season.

Lindelof looking better with every game and hopefully will now establish himself.

Lukaku looked beyond dreadful when he came on . I’ve never been a fan of him and was gutted when we signed him but I didn’t expect him to be this poor. A new CF should be our main priority
Agreed. He's becoming increasingly frustrating to watch.

Okey

Pretty good game I think. Pogba's stupid mistake aside (for the umpteenth), I actually enjoyed the game, cos Everton played a good game as well. Lindelof continuing to improve. Time to drop Matic too?

hobbers

Lukaku came on and we went down to 10 men.
I'd say it was more like he put Everton up to 12 men.

As others have said there were times Pogba and Fred had the ball in good areas with their heads up and Lukaku was just stood right in front of them basically just in their way. Totally clueless about where he should be. Not to mention the 4 or 5 offsides he somehow managed in only 25 minutes, duping our poor midfielders into giving Everton free kicks.

He had exactly one good moment in his entire cameo, which was the flick on to Martial on the half way line.

Sterling Archer

Agreed. He's becoming increasingly frustrating to watch.
So strange to see him stop his run a few times during counters and sit at the edge of the box instead of driving towards goal. Then that awful missed header. He needs a few weeks break and a confidence boost. Would not be shocked if he was a bit unnerved by the recent flurry of media criticizing his weight gain, bulking as well

JG3001

He didn't throw his leg at him. :confused:

Yes he absolutely went down theatrically, but at the end of the day the defender came in, got a slight touch on the ball but not enough to really change anything. After the touch on the ball however, the defenders leg went between Martial's legs in a way where it was pretty much impossible for Martial to avoid contact. Martial certainly didn't stick his leg out to get the contact.
Hmmm, we’ll have to agree to disagree, as I said I’d be livid if that was the other way round.

Xaviboy

Missed the game today but just watched highlights. Everton had a few chances. Think better team would of punished us and took them chances, they seemed to get in easily with the chances. Deffo need to tighten up that defense were letting too many teams in easily. Martial goal was good, got to keep playing him every week.Good 3 points.

Reddevildans

Decent performance and result against a good top half of the table team. Still room for improvement. Pogba and martial were great. Lukaku shouldn't be starting in the next game especially away from home where we will need players running in behind.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Just watched MOTD, we were lucky to get that penalty.Also what de fuq was Pogba at with his run up? 26 steps he took.Remember Eric? You just knew he was going to score, same goes for Denis Irwin & RVN.
With Pog you are bricking it.

dave1956

Came away from the game to day with the certainty that Pogba plays for Pogba and that forward movement was better without Lukaku. Everton's goal came from a Pogba attempted pass which was beyond his skill range and another brain fart tackle by Smalling because he was caught out of position and it was a last ditch tackle worthy of Jones.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Besides not having Lukaku for most of the match, Sanchez not playing also made the team more fluid.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We are becoming fun to watch and it's been a long time since I thought that. There were 6 or 7 times when we showed quick slick passing which is great to see. We also have two players who bring excitement every time they touch the ball. Of course I'm talking about Pogba and Martial.

I'm looking forward to the next match!

JMack1234

I feel sorry for Lukaku.

I was listening to TalkSport on the way back from the game (yeah I know not the place to go for reason) and so many United fans were going on there and making Lukaku out to be some stiff who'd won his place in a raffled.

This is a guy who scored 27 goals for us last season and had a brilliant World Cup. He's obviously got absolutely no confidence at the moment. However, he'll get it back soon enough and go back to leading the line for us.

sp_107

I would like to try Alexis as 9 in place of Mata and Herrera in place of Matic and see how they do.

May be Delot replacing Young too

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I feel sorry for Lukaku.

I was listening to TalkSport on the way back from the game (yeah I know not the place to go for reason) and so many United fans were going on there and making Lukaku out to be some stiff who'd won his place in a raffled.

This is a guy who scored 27 goals for us last season and had a brilliant World Cup. He's obviously got absolutely no confidence at the moment. However, he'll get it back soon enough and go back to leading the line for us.
Typical fan behaviour really. Reactionary in general and tends to swing to extremes. You also have the biased types whose opinions are completely clouded by how much they like the player.

That said I think Lukaku shouldn't be leading the line for us. He's a good goalscorer (when on form) but his technique is really lacking. An excellent backup striker but someone of his quality and ambition would never settle for that.

OneUnited24

I feel sorry for Lukaku.

Funny how fickle fans can be. I still remember around March/April last season when the team looked on their knees he was putting in performances after performances to keep us ahead of the pack. Funny how that’s all forgotten now.

He’ll come good for us I’m sure.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
This is the first match in a long while that I've felt that Martial really put in the work and truly deserves his starting place. Despite that "3 goals in 3" stat bandied about here all the time he was mostly coasting through the games and making the most of an opportunity or two. Well done to the young man.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 78% of 641 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 442 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw