PL L FA Premier League

Everton 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2019

redmanx

Feeling bad for Ole. He defended these players when he joined. He said they were talented. Look at the performances now. They are all utter wankers and I wouldn't care if every single one of them left. This game should be the last we ever see of some of that lot.
Yeah, they've shit all over the supporters now its Oles turn, yet only a short while ago some of them were saying how good it was for them to have Ole as manager...they are a fecking disgrace and unfit to be associated with Manchester United.

Jim Reaper

Exactly, when hes not the centre of attention, doing tricks with the ball, making long passes etc hes not interested; football is about more than looking god on the ball, you have to work too.
I still think Pogba can be great for us. He just needs to not be the main man. He doesnt seem to do well when he is the main guy. That means a team of world class players around like the French natiknal team and that wont happen. So maybe...We should cash in.

250m base amount to spend. Sell all the deadwood and accept offers on maybe Martial, Pogba. Maybe a swap can be done with Lukaku or just sell him. Im not sold on selling De Gea but if it happens and we get a great replacement then meh. Use the money gained to add to the base transfer budget.

Bring Greenwood, A.Gomes, Chong, Garner, Tuanzebe and even Laird and O'Connor. Mix it with new signings and hope they have a class of 92 style impact. :)

Schmeichel=God

Ole's post match conference was quite defeated and meek until a couple of moments which I absolutely loved.

3:54 - First the sheer verbal and non verbal honesty in response to the question: Have you seen enough in the dressing room after that to make you confident that the players care enough to want to play for this club?

4:50 - The telling moment you realise that Ole would change pretty much the whole squad.

5:05 - The fire shining through, the anger simmering underneath, the plain stare at the journo, "I'm going to be successful here"
5:07 - *Forceful look toward the dressing room* indicating not just words, but that he feels this..."and there's players there who won't be part of that successful team

I have my problem with Ole's tactics seemingly being completely reliant upon sitting deep against anyone, and the counter. But if the board back him sufficiently, if he actually has bollocks and culls a large portion of this squad, then I want him to have the time to prove that isn't his preferred approach.

If he just gets partially backed and doesn't make obviously needed decisions, then it's a chocolate fireguard. He'll be there for no time at all.

Also: You what Louis? Say again Saha.....

Presenter: "...who does take responsibility for this mess that Manchester United seem to be in right now?"
Louis: "I think you have to understand that basically there's a lot of fuc*tards in the club"

that explains it then :lol:

2:53

Got any quotes ?:D
Take a look!

Last edited:

Spark

feck, we’re so shit. Thing is, it could still get so much worse. Imagine if we hadn’t won a load of games post Christmas!?

We mug City/PSG/Chelsea off for being money clubs with zero history, but Manchester United is ONLY about the share price. We are genuinely the money club, in that we make it and don’t spend it.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Champions League clearly means nothing to these players. Absolutely no fight or will to win. They're like the walking dead out there. Complete clearout needed now. If not, we're looking at a relegation battle next season, it's that bad!

Camilo

What's really tragic is that it's fecking everton. They're decent, but they're nothing special. It's all attitude. Many of the player's are very good, but perhaps certain Pogba shaped men are too disruptive for a team in this position to handle. Great player, possibly the wrong man right now.

But what a god awful performance. fecking appalling. Ole needs to get things shaped up. Biggest summer in forever I think.

DSG

No effort. Watching Matic slowly saunter to close down siggurdsson, Martial slowly trotting towards Digne...

I would play the kids the rest of the season. No point in playing a starting 11 with no heart, no balls. Don’t care if we don’t even make Europa.

I’d rather see Greenwood and Chong and Gomez to see if they can even compete at this level.

Poor Ole. He walked into an absolute clusterfeck, got expectations sky high and now has to deal with this.

NorthBraxton

As a Norwegian who's followed the Norwegian league for a long time, I can tell you guys that if you think he will be a friendly guy that will smile at all times, you will be in for a surprise. He will let you know when your performance was shite

Reactions: SteveJ

Kopral Jono

Err, what?
Indeed, you hear that right. A football club that's being run the way it is by incompetent parasites doesn't deserve to be called a football club. A failing multi-billion dollar corporation, yes, but not a football club.

Milo2035

Just admit it. It's Ed. No one else. Bringing in Van Gaal to teach players to pass the ball then bringing in Jose to teach players not to pass the ball them bringing in Ole to teach players to take risks. The only big club in the world without a DoF. Because that man Ed, who doesn't even know the offside rule, wants to be at the top.

Canuckred64

Shocking, incredibly poor performance, as bad as anything since Fergie left. No effort, no desire by the players. April is a busy month for me work wise and this was the first game I have seen since we beat Watford. If this is how we have been playing no wonder we have not won this month. Based on today's performance, City have nothing to fear from us on Wednesday.

ghagua

Pathetic. Just keep the player who did not play today in Shaw and get rid of everyone else. We need a clear out, and I'm not just talking about players like Rojo and Darmian who are too easy of a target, but the players who were on the pitch today. I would start with the midfielders and strikers and get rid all of them. Don't deserve to wear the United shirt, none of them.

Maticmaker

Get the feeling Ole has already told a number of these players today that their services are not required next season, so they are all dreaming of the beach, or just 'pi**ed-*ff...What else can explain the abject surrender todays United performance represented?

Verminator

Worst performance I can remember.
New Years day vs QPR in the 90's the players looked hungover was bad. 1-6 to City was awful but the opposite of today, in that we over committed.
Today was the most half-hearted I've ever seen us, including dead-rubbers at the end of previous seasons.

I see we were 4km of running, behind Everton at half time. Anyone know what the 90 minute figure was?

K13

Phew ... well that was a bit disappointing.

Difficult to know what is going on in the dressing room but clearly there are a few problems because experienced players are making basic mistakes. The De Gea from last season would have saved both near post strikes.

I am not sure that the Jones, Smalling and Lindelof partnership worked again. Lindelof ends up on the right and we lose a little bit of creativity in the central area and then seem to drop back too deep as a team and then go long and concede possession. At half time when Young came on it did improve - we had better shape.

I wasn't too surprised to see Fred go off. He had opportunities to play triangle passes but elected to pass the ball sideways so it became very stilted and predictable.

I think this was a very hard game for our attacking players because difficult to get any momentum, space or even game confidence when the passing is so predictable. They would go and press and there would be a 20 yard gap behind them that Everton exploited.

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No desire or effort when there's a massive prize still at stake. Simply not an acceptable situation.

Luke1995

Keep Rashford, Shaw, Andreas, Dalot, the kids from the youth system and Pogba if possible.

Get rid of everybody else. Let's go full Busby Babes and play the entire next season with kids + our french superstar.

SapperBRed75

I’m not sure I recognised all of the emotions on Ole’s face in the press conference. It looked to me like grief and at one point, thinly veiled rage. He needs to remember the embarrassment he felt as he clapped the away fans - that should fuel him when he next sits down with Ed. With maybe a couple of exceptions, the players have mugged him off today, no question.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
This is the game that has broken my heart for the 18-19 season. How I miss the "honeymoon". The players have left everybody down, but especially Ole.

The most important summer transfer window in 15 years lies ahead.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Jacko21

Something feels off.

To show so little effort and desire in such a crucial game is baffling.

Coincidentally, the last time I remember thinking something wasn't right was the Spurs defeat in August. We ran 10km fewer than Spurs.

Today we ran 8km fewer than Everton.

As much as you don't want to give credence to what we're hearing/reading about matters behind the scenes, it's not difficult to believe that there might be trouble in camp.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Something feels off.

Coincidentally, the last time I remember thinking something wasn't right was the Spurs defeat in August. We ran 10km fewer than Spurs.

As much as you don't want to give credence to what we're hearing/reading about matters behind the scenes, it's not difficult to believe that there might be trouble in camp.
Totally agree. Something smells rotten. Time to let go of as many players as possible. Half of them are just not good enough for Utd. The other half doesn't care, or wanna leave.

RedIan

The players attitude was summed up by a martial moment today. We had a rare attack, he broke into the box and then he misplaced the final pass. He then stood like a statue in their box looking around him as Everton played it out and countered... wtf is he doing, move, chase back.. just dont stand like a stone statue looking like the dummest feck on meryside.

He wasnt the ony one but that moment told me all i need to know about his desire and attitude. We cant have players like that, no matter how talented they maybe. If they dont want to fight and battle on a really off days then get rid.

Verminator

The players attitude was summed up by a martial moment today. We had a rare attack, he broke into the box and then he misplaced the final pass. He then stood like a statue in their box looking around him as Everton played it out and countered... wtf is he doing, move, chase back.. just dont stand like a stone statue looking like the dummest feck on meryside.

He wasnt the ony one but that moment told me all i need to know about his desire and attitude. We cant have players like that, no matter how talented they maybe. If they dont want to fight and battle on a really off days then get rid.
I saw, and thought the same.
He looked like Cantona after he scored that chip against sunderland(?) Like he just woke from sleep-walking.
Maybe he did.

Handsome Devil

Ok, my blood pressure has gone down a little but I still don't for the life of me understand why our team treated today like a dead rubber. I mean, for the love of all that is decent, we were still in top four contention, a place among the European elite next year, another chance to live the dream, play against the cream of Europe, share in the almighty buzz of an electric tie in an iconic stadium being watched by millions of viewers. More high points in a player's career.
Instead we got....oh what's the bloody point. :(

Revaulx

Never a good lineup that. Mctominay and matic needed to sit deep in this game behind pogba.

Mess up smalling and lindelof partnership with jones and put lindelof on the right and lukaku up top. Recipe for disaster against physical hard working side like Everton.
Indeed. Neither Lindelöf nor Smalling are top class, but they’ve proved themselves again and again to be our most reliable defensive partnership. If they’re both fit they should start as a pair and any making do and mending should be confined to the full backs, all of whom are shit (Shaw maybe excepted) in any case.

sugar_kane

Something feels off.

I agree and it’s what I sort of danced around in that drop in form thread I started.

Nothing really explains clearly what is happening right now other than a partial downing of tools.

Devils11

There is no leader in the team. No teamwork. No communication. No sense of comrade.
Our defence play too deep, our midfield allow our opponent too much time to turn and pass. Our pressing are non existence. We just back off and back off.
Every goal we concealed, we just shrugged off and resigned. We gave up fighting for each other.

[

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaj45rpm

No desire, no leader on the pitch. A disgrace to the Utd shirt. I wish they would take some time out from their hectic schedule to read what the fans are saying.
Shiteh will destroy that shower of non-triers on Wednesday, it's not worth watching.

Renegade

Of topic. Why the hell are we wearing pink against Everton? What’s wrong with or Home kit?

Not saying that any impact onteb result but was weird to see.

Motorman

Just caught up on the match same old same old.. it feels weird when we play well nowadays. Just doesnt happen for us.

I think we do need a decent clear out. Neville is right we are always outworked. Wolves for example, appeared to want it much more than us.

I think in Ole though, players dont have anywhere to hide, the fans will turn on players faster than Ole IMO.

Dan600

I just wonder if some of these players' didn't realise about the 25% cut in wages for not reaching the Champion's League. So when they read about it in the paper's, it was the first they realised about it being in their contracts, hence the current reaction?

I wonder if we put that out as a gee up to the players to get them working harder in order to avoid it, only it has spectacularly back fired because so many of our squad our precious flowers, not warriors...

Distracted Steward

Today highlights run that poses serious questions about the club. I wish it were as simple as the state of first team. I wish it were about bringing in two or three players in the right positions and clearing deadwood. Tactics would be a simple fix, but it’s not about that either. Today wasn’t even about the performance of the first team. Today was about the performance of the club.

Wanting to do better as a club and having the resources means precious little when it comes down to it. It’s been well covered on here how the structures in the club and the overall strategy have fallen to levels that can only be described as derelict. The academy, scouting network, non-revenue planning and overall vision are far, far from the level that can produce the excellent first team football we cane to take for granted.

Times changed—not in 2013–but gradually over the course of Ferguson’s reign. He deserves all the praise he gets. He stands as a titan in the history of sport, but his abilities masked underlying deficiencies in the club. All it took was to enable Ferguson to routinely produce top tier teams. He had that in him. Before the rise of the petroclubs, few clubs in the world could match that formula.

That’s not United now, and that’s not football now. Ferguson is gone, and it’s now about what the club can produce through its organic structures. The only thing the club has shown it can do at a world class level is tap commercial revenue opportunities. That’s clutch. People sneer at Woodward for his focus on that, but it’s crucial in funding a retooling in a sport now flush with cash.

Woodward is a symptom not the problem. While he could reasonably see that he’s not a football man and needs a DoF, that sort of humility is uncommon at the top of anything. The Glazers’ complacency and greed is the problem. They see the club in terms of dollars and cents almost exclusively. Woodward’s role fits their vision. Woodward gets the heat from the supporters and they peer through the blinds like Jim in the Office relieved the green and yellow scarves have faded away. Woodward does his best, but he’s out of his depth in an overarching role.

The money goes into the owners’ pockets, debt (from takeover) servicing and into players. The academy doesn’t factor highly for investment. Allowing City to out muscle United in this front is a betrayal of the past and an abdication of the future that is as intolerable as any facet of this period. United stars sending their kids to their academy instead was a wake up call that as only been partially heeded. I’m glad steps have been taken to improve the academy, but they have not been bold or aggressive enough. United have the resources to fight fire with fire on this front an just haven’t. That’s shameful and could prove costly.

United have shown an ability and willingness to buy players like few clubs. City and PSG have an advantage here, but it’s not as big as it could be thanks to Woodward et al. That doesn’t count for much without strategic vision and a club harmonized to meet that. Go line by line down the list of transfers over the last few players. You see the means but don’t see a plan. Look at the contrasting styles of each manager since Ferguson. You don’t see a good plan. You don’t see an overarching identity and the resources being streamlined to meet that. It’s just not there.

Today was the toll. The rot behind the scenes caused today, this run and all the odious criticisms that dominate our view of the club. Until the club pins its colors to the mast on what it is and what its going to be, this is what we’ll get. Until every aspect of this club is brought up to speed and pointed in the right direction, first team success will be only fleeting if attained at all.

Buckle up folks. The powers that be won’t undertake the self criticism and reforms to right the ship any time soon. There are plenty of bright spots and the means, but no one is both willing and able to lead the club out of the wilderness yet.

Rake

I just don't understand the situation we are in... Top four is a real possiblity but most of the players act like we`ve been relegated. Ole talked about basics in the post-match interview and he was right - players who are paid millions can't string 3 passes in succession, can't defend a simple ball, can't control the a simple pass and show no desire.

This was an amateurish display.

crossy1686

career ending
Something feels off.

From that performance, it's safe to say that either an influential player is upset with something he's been told or something that's happening or a group of players are unhappy about a situation. Either way, one bad apple is ruining the apple cart.

Part thinks it's the Spanish speaking clic, if you look at the names of players rumoured to be leaving it's Herrera, Mata, Rojo, De Gea, Sanchez, also Darmian in there. But part of me also thinks it's the likes of Pogba, Martial and Lukaku who think they won the war against Jose and now walk around like they own the place, sulking when ever they feel like it and upsetting everyone else with their bullshit.

I'm not sure which one it is but I bet I'm pretty close to being right about one of them.

* I'd hazard a guess its contract and salary based also.

buchansleftleg

This interview is the only positive thing to come out of today. Feel proud this guy is manager. Standing up and being honest, clearly very angry and upset but holding it together and not singling out any players.

If some players thought they could pull the same trick as they did with Mourinho then they are mistaken. The translator had a fragile ego that was easy to gameplay.

Ole will hold real power now and some players have shown themselves up badly.

Some should be training with the Women's team to see what real hard work, effort and a love of the game looks like. However I suspect Casey would have marched them out of the ground a long time ago.

Red_toad

Something feels off.

Jose pointed out lack of fitness. Ole also pointed to lack of fitness
So fitness must be an issue.
That and a lack of effort.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Watching City, it's so devastatingly simple what they do. Their players rarely take more than two touches and if they do it's because they've created the space to allow it.

Watching our players today take multiple touches and waste so much on the ball shows the difference between us. Pogba would never, ever play for a Pep team with the amount of touches he takes and how long he keeps the ball for.

Player Ratings

2.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Everton 0:2 Man Utd