PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 December 2019

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We needed some creativity from midfield, and some leadership on the pitch. We had neither.

Lingard was the worst player on the pitch, and Shaw followed close behind. Shaw's lazy movement and lack of desire is so infuriating.

We can't break down sides that sit back without a midfield. Unfortunately, along with the usual Lingard performance, McT was bad too.

I want to say it's on Ole that Lingard was in the hole again, but I look at Mata and Pereria and realize he doesn't really have a chance.

We're absolutely at taking and defending set pieces, and DDG'ss error and VAR cost us the goal.

talking robot

Without Pogba (or a Pogba like player) + a proper #9 (in the Haarling mold), we won't be able to systematically break down teams like this. We also need better delivery and better presence in the box on set pieces as we don't score nearly enough from those. A better return on our set piece play would help us massively in making breakthroughs in at least some games like this.

spiriticon

I think this game was yet another example of how much we miss Pogba (or at least a player of his level.) I love the work Fred and McTominay do, but they aren't exactly a creative hub. If that is being left to Lingard or Pereira, then we will struggle to create.
Fred and McT are actually quite creative but they are too far back to influence the attack. Like Pogba is when he plays defensive mid. It's the impotency of Lingard, Pereira and Mata that's really hurting us.

ManRed

I am more disappointed that we did not push on after the goal. The players were clueless and the attacking organisation just disappeared. Add to that terrible crosses from Rashford, Fred and AWB did not help.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think Haaland and Sancho will give us other options when Martial, James and Rashford or Lingard are not effective. For me, that's a positive and we have to go for them in Jan.
We're not getting either, let alone both.

Ed's already done his briefing, I'll be surprised to see us make any signings let alone big names.

koop

Martial shite, rashford shite, shaw shite, lindelof partially shite, ref shite, var shite.

R'hllor

Points wise = One point isnt good enough, saved by a kid with a great finish ( Greenwood should come on much much earlier)

Football wise = same old vs team that defends, clueless in most situations.

Sub wise = Mata introduction was weird, Lingard should be subbed after first 15 min.

At the end hope not many will go full Ty and put a blame on a ref, VAR etc. for this result.

Smores

The exact same poor performance as against many of these teams and yet people come up with the same excuses.

Ole needs to find a way to beat them, it's kind of his job.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Greenwood is the only player we have with the instincts of a centre forward. I don't care what number is on Martial's shirt, he just doesn't play like a 9 at all. He's never where you'd expect a centre forward to be. We put some good drilled crosses into the box, and Martial was usually outside it. His movement is Berbatov-esque. If he moved around like Javier Hernandez, he'd be lethal. So frustrating to watch.

Not sure if their goal should have stood. I generally don't like that keepers are invincible to contact, but since they are then that has to be foul. I've seen much softer challenges on goalkeepers given.

Not fond of buying in January, but we really need 2 or 3 first team players if we don't want this season to be a write-off. I doubt we'll bring in more than 1 though, if that.

Hoof the ball

Makes no sense. We are so dependent upon playing down the left. Everything goes through the left. Everything. Rashford, and of course Martial drifts left to play one-two's with Rashford. Add in Lingard to that, as well as Shaw. Rinse and repeat. Meanwhile, on the other side of the field you have Wan-Bissaka and James in acres of space and it never occurs to the players to switch it. Instead, Rashford does his usual 'try-to-dribble-between-two-defenders" routine.

Frustratingly enough, when Greenwood scored the goal he barely got the ball again, despite United having almost all of the ball for the last ten minutes. Play went entirely down the left until the final whistle and there you have Greenwood in a ton of space waving his arms for a pass, which Mata doesn't spot, and instead blunders a six yard pass to Rashford, who incidentally has two defenders right on him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
People are criticizing Lingard, yes He was shite but feck me sideways, what the feck did Martial do all game? the only thing I remember is him misplacing an easy pass to Everton player.

When our no. 9 does nothing, They get to keep the formation shape which was exactly what They planned for. We had no answer for it and could not counter attack them.

Should have started with Greenwood.

eire-red

1 step forward, two steps back. And that's probably an apt description for the past 6 years at this club.

So frustrating to watch. McTominay and Fred are fantastic at what they do, breaking up the play and dominating midfield physically. Their limitations are glaring in games like these when we need guile and creativity. Nothing new in this performance. Basically groundhog day with the Villa result.

This season is so confusing at the moment. Good moments, but just disheartening overall.

Manutd GOGOGO

Frustrating result... but I thought we created so many chances that we deserve to win the game.

Very different from the early games where we draw or lose to similar team.

Only a matter of "time" or "players" when we start slaughtering teams with such negative tactics.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
What's the record for maximum number of draws by a team in the PL? Am sure we are on track for breaking that surely.

Same disjointed performance as against so many of the bottom half teams this season. But the game we are trying to play means that we need three top class attackers with speed power and finishing. Not sure out present attack is of that calibre. Not enough magical moments or individual genius.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Disappointed with the score and parts of the performance, but we took another point and in my opinion shouldn’t have had that goal given against us.
It’s frustrating when you see the VAR decisions going against us, but we dug in and got a result in the end.
Certain players don’t really look like they’re up to it, which is a shame given their effort against City.
January really can’t come soon enough, if we dont make the most of that window we’ll likely struggle until the end of the season.

Josep Dowling

Ole needs to start our best finisher from the start. I would be tempted to try James in the number 10 role and get Greenwood on the right. He can then cut inside and shoot on his left foot.

And more importantly it would get Lingard out of the team. I get he has personal issues but he hasn’t performed for a long time now. He simply isn’t good enough.

always_hoping

Typical united, confidence boosting wins v Spurs and City and then drop points against a poor side at home.

13th time now under Ole where they have gone behind in a game and only won once. The lack of leadership in this United team is clear to see. An especially frustrating draw when we all know that Everton goal should not have stood.

Rafaeldagold

But wait a minute. Were Rashford and James supposed to miss their chances? Was Lindelof supposed to score against our own goal?
So Ole gets the praise when we beat teams but it’s the players fault when we don’t. Ok

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Only AWB, Fred and James from the starting XI did well. Maguire OK. Rest all not up to the mark. Don't know why Lindelof continues to be in XI, especially against teams who can bully him in air. Greenwood deserves start. He will anyway start vs Colchester in midweek, but should start vs Watford too.

This shows why we need proper enforcements and quick. I see people getting worried for Martial when we are linked to Haaland or other forwards, but these kind of games highlights how much we need a forward who can bang them regularly. Something Martial doesn't do.

Judas

Open to offers
Usual unsurprising shite really. Can't get too worked up about something so predictable.

Martial with a typical performance, to think there's so many on here who don't want to upset him by buying another striker :lol: he's meant to be our main number 9, our focal point, the bloke you look to get you out of a hole, the one to score the winner to save the day, I never have that sort of faith in him as he's totally unreliable. Greenwood showed what you want from your striker within minutes of being on the pitch.

superdry

touched by a genius
Against a set defence our paper tigers have no idea. Not a single player who'll make a sprint for that near post for low crosses and why can't anyone in our attack head a ball?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We should have won. We did enough to win.
Their goal should not have stood. Something intensely annoying about Oliver.
Greenwood is a star.

jackal&hyde

Dan James, Lingard and AWB were very, very poor in attack. They seem to be great when we play good teams but against teams that defend and we have the majority of possession they are very poor. No surprise we are linked with Sancho and Madison; these are key weaknesses. Dalot should be in consideration too when we play "lesser" teams.

Just to many poor performances in attack and a lucky goal for Everton. One point closer to top 4 though :)

Gasolin

So Ole gets the praise when we beat teams but it’s the players fault when we don’t. Ok
How do you explain players missing those chances then? Lack of training? Wow... Everton went for the contact but didn't have occasions to hurt us. They score on our own goal when there is a foul on De Gea.

Simbo

Not too terrible, some lackluster performances for sure, but we were unlucky to come up against the Big Dunc effect.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
One of those weird games where we technically played quite well, but didn’t actually create anything of real significance all game, and were rescued by our new prodigal scoring what I can only assume is going to become his trademark goal, since he’s already scored it 3 times, as it looked like the only way we were ever going to score.

Also we did that infuriating thing we’ve been doing all season of just instantly becoming really crap as soon as we score again.

Kopral Jono

We're just a bunch of game-raising cnuts these days.

And Lindelof is such a shit defender. I can't wait until the day Tuanzebe knocks him off his perch.

Giggsyking

Yeah, right. It's Oles fault. :lol:
In 12 months, he came back from a loss to win only once. This is his level, I am not being hard on him. When we sack him, he will go back to Norway. No big team will risk their future with him.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Until Lingard went off we were poor. In fact we'd have been better off playing without Lingard at all and playing with ten men considering his contribution was missing a goal right at the beginning , giving the ball away countless times, fouling numerous times and blocking James' shot with his head.
Heard the crowd singing at the beginning "there's only one Jesse Lingard" thankful for small mercies we haven't got two of them.

How VAR allowed Everton's goal I have no idea but on top of that Lindelof as usual totally unaware of what's going on around him and he wasn't marking anyone.

Rashford and McTominay were poor for the most part. Martial had to come back to get the ball because Lingard provided nothing.

Reinvigorated after the substitution and well done Greenwood for at least getting a draw but we wasted 65 minutes with the most pointless player of all.
Hopefully Pogba is fit soon and Lingard doesn't get in the team.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 44% of 269 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 275 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw