PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 October 2021

Valencia Shin Crosses

Thought we actually looked lively but the issue with this team is that we don’t excite well enough in the final third and we are so fecking vulnerable to getting countered.

At least Sancho was great today. He’s a starter when he plays like that. It’s sad that we will just be a comfortable 4th with the squad we’ve assembled because there isn’t enough structure from the coaching side to figure out our mistakes and iron them out. Never has been.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Such an abundance of riches but what is the right blend? I’m not sure OGS knows what his best team is yet.

Dempsey19

Fred absolutely infuriates me.

How the hell can a player make a 50-50 challenge a 0-100 . He does it every single feckin game.

I don't care about who was out of position or what for their goal. Anyone with basic football knowledge would of brought down Gray. Hes weak in strength, weak in mentality and overall just shockingly poor at everything.

Tarrou

Why are we so much worse than last season? And don’t say “manager” because it’s the same bloody manager we had last season.
I don't think the performances are much different are they? this is about our level, or close to it

quite a few of the wins last year could easily have gone the other way, so maybe it papered over the cracks a little bit

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
After that first game with Ronaldo back I sat down eagerly for your games again.

You lost me..
I’m surprised I actually think from a neutrals perspective our games have been incredibly entertaining at the moment because Utd are so flaky and give some many opportunities away while at the same time having the magic to do something at the other end. From a Utd perspective it’s pretty bloody painful though!

DoomSlayer

I'm firmly Ole out but its difficult to directly blame him for today's result unless you want to talk about the starting lineup. In the end though, it all comes back to him not getting the most out of this squad.

Everton are a good side under Rafa and I see them taking a few more points off the top teams.
At this point, every PL team is a good side that will take points from a couple of top teams. But the ones that will become champions will win against almost everyone, that is the difference.

downunder red

We should of walked through that weakest of Everton side!!! Absolutely disgusted with dropping points against that. Ole laughing at the end not a good look.

Kevzter

What a joke. Honestly, it feels like we’ve a ceiling with this management.

It’s not good enough Ole. The midfield is an absolute mess and it doesn’t feel like anything is changing?
Yeah I'll just tell Ole to just pop out to the shops on Monday to get a new holding midfielder for all the Ole outers as it will save his job....soo easy?

lex talionis

You do have to wonder what goes on in training during the week. We look lost and disjointed, match after match.

Spark

It is weird watching such an unbalanced team. There is simply no midfield. No Partey, no Kante, no Casemeiro, no Fabinho, etc to control the tempo and make the team tick.

It’s early days still, however any talk of a title challenge is well and truly stupid. Let’s see if we somehow come back from the international break (LONG) with a semblance of a game plan that includes controlling a game and not wildly running forward like - albeit incredibly talented - headless chickens.

The best i can do for the team is remove all United players from my FPL, as they go to shit any time I back them.

Crimson King

I honestly thought buying Varane would mask some of the frailties at DM.
It might have if our midfielders hadn't inexplicably gotten worse. If they were playing to a similar level as last season it might have had a noticeable effect, but the slight defensive cover McFred did offer has completely evaporated. Maguire and Shaw didn't start the season great either, and AWB has been caught out a lot down his side as well.

As a team we're just a shambles at the moment. It's very concerning.

Pearl's a minger

Pickford won't have an easier away game this season. All that attacking talent and we create the square root of jack shit. It's ok though a DM will solve all the issues like why our defence can't keep a clean sheet and why our forwards don't look like scoring. Oles a charlatan and he needs getting rid of now. I really can't see how anyone can be enthused about watching that constant shitshow week in week out. The club is a mess!!

choccy77

otherwise translated to going down the tunnel after the final whistle disappointed at 2 points dropped
No I was kidding, that he is leaving for good.

Playing with Fred and AWB must seriously have him looking at his contract for a get out clause.

RORY65

Midweek was an awful performance but this wasn't that, this was a pretty standard performance for us under Ole. No control, no cohesion or organisation to our play but usually we have enough quality to dig out the win. It would be delusional to think this team is going anywhere under him but it's also a waste of time to moan too much about it because he's going to be the manager for the rest of the season and probably in to next season given the squad is likely good enough to at make 4th.

AndersB

We were well in control until the early double sub, and then it just completely fell apart. Many factors obviously, but certainly did not seem to help us.

Also don't understand why he didn't rather bring on Lingard.

ken11

Fred absolutely infuriates me.

How the hell can a player make a 50-50 challenge a 0-100 . He does it every single feckin game.

I don't care about who was out of position or what for their goal. Anyone with basic football knowledge would of brought down Gray. Hes weak in strength, weak in mentality and overall just shockingly poor at everything.
The guy is too sweet to play DMC. Even Kante probably has more ruthlessness.

fps

We say it’s an abundance of riches but which players can you absolutely rely on? To me, as game changers, Fernandes and Cavani. The others, not so much. Ronaldo is not the Ronaldo he was but of course can still make a difference.

Also for Everton’s goal why did Shaw run across like that? He stays in position there’s no goal.

Ludens the Red

Everton without three key players and I’m genuinely not even remotely surprised by such another shite display and dropped points. I don’t enjoy watching this team play at all and I’m baffled by anyone who does. I don’t get the vibe that there’s any excitement in the lead up to games anymore and Old Trafford has sounded that way in last few games.

This team just cannot function cohesively, they can’t sustain pressure in a game, they can’t transition in attack and defence as a team, they’re not street smart (why didn’t anybody foul Gray on that counter)
Same shit staring you in the face every week. The team aren’t being prepared properly for games. They’re not being organised properly. It’s staring us all in the face and we’ll still get shite about how ‘insert 80 million pound player’ needs to be signed.
Kind as feck fixture list to start the season with and points dropped in 3 out of the 7 games. Not good enough.

OrcaFat

That moment in the last two minutes, where Ole was smiling and grinning at McTominay on the touchline... I'm not one for analyzing manager's body language but that struck me as more than a tab incongruous with events going on around him and it seemed like, I dunno... not a very smart thing for Ole to do? I thought that was just incredibly strange. Almost like he's trying too hard to portray that the pressure isn't getting to him.
Yeah. I don’t like to see that. It is very possible he will be sacked (contrary to the idea that top 4 needs to be mathematically impossible), if the board lose confidence in him. It won’t happen on a whim but just a few weeks of poor play and poor results at the same time can tip the balance.

I am sure Ole is very worried at this point. Panicking won’t help and I think we’ll turn it round but my confidence is being eroded a tad.

MrSingh2002

Sack him. Can we have a Ole IN or OUT thread today?

3 losses in 6 games with a draw? 4 draws at home with this squad?

I'm Ole OUT and have been since I made the last big sack Ole thread.

The Top Reds that closed it need to reopen it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's our midfield that's the problem. I like Sancho but we should have instead invested that money in a DM. It was always the big issue for us. Anyway, we can't do anything about it now.
We could have had Sancho and a DM if we got rid of some of our players for even decent money. Unfortunately we didn't have a Lukaku to sell this time.

Judas

Open to offers
It's only October, season is obviously not over, but we're not seeing much to convince me we're in for a better campaign than the last one, so far.

Jezpeza

Not that bad a game, just got some players with no game intelligence whatsoever. Should be able to see out the game but then we concede from our own shit corner, and almost manages to give it away in the end completely against the run of play.
I thought we were okay. Everton had one idea - 10 men behind the ball and get it to gray or townsend on the counter. Decent first hour. Ronaldo and Sancho coming on was viable. We looked good for 10 minutes when they did as the game opened up. We just needed to see it out and hit them on the counter as they needed to come looking my for it. Then for some reason, despite being ahead, we overload the box for a corner(which we never score from) and then Fred AWB and Lindelof fail to make the necessary cynical foul on the break. Stupidity and mistakes cost us again.

That asides, Worrying amount of players out of form. Id take the 1.4m gray over sancho anyday. We Cant defend. Shape off the ball is awful. Varane hasnt improved us. Mcfred is pointless. Why play two CDMs when they just dont work and leave us wide open. Too many heroes in attack as well. Pogba, Bruno, CR7 all want to be the main man but dont seem to integrate very well together

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Tbf he wasn’t good today besides the nice attempt with the header
It's more about the team shape and occupying their defenders. That was lost as soon as he was subbed off. To cap it off, taking of a midfielder for a roamer leaving us with one tired midfielder...

Silverman

I don't see the need to insult Ole. I think it's time he leaves as I don't think he's good enough but he's obviously giving it his all. He's just not up to it.

Red_Aaron

I'm furious today.
Today was largely a good performance against a good side. We got ahead and we're in complete control but once again, once a-fckin-gain we give away a ridiculous goal. That goal should've been stopped on at least 4 occasions, just fckin clear them out, it's what every single other top side in the world would have done. Fly in, take the yellow, stop the move. That we stood their with open arms and invited them to enjoy themselves makes my blood boil.

Every time we put some positivity on the pitch we quickly undermine it. There's no excuse for it either, whatever you think of his ability Fred is an established international and will have faced similar situations a thousand times before. Wan bissaka is there and does nothing, Shaw and lindelof get close to doucoure. Just commit the foul. Commit the foul. Commit the fckin foul

Furious

Joseunited

Jesus,we are awful at times BUT Ole will be more than happy, sitting 2nd in the league.
Midfield is such an issue, by the time we address it we'll be sitting in mid table.
I don't think we're in a good place at the minute ,the pressure will be ramping up on the manager and thoroughly deserved, he's just inept.

SplitzMagic

Our next manager will hopefully come in with a REAL system and use VDB to full effect.

I definitely think Ole is spraying and praying each game and we just won't give up on this McFred duo.

Give this team to Lego Pep and even he'll achieve something.

Oles at the wheel and the car he's driving doesn't have any wheels. I would love if it had wheels and no brakes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I genuinely believe Ronaldo saved Ole’s job on Wednesday.
I don't think he did, to be honest. I think it will take something catastrophic for them to kick Ole out the door. I think they're all in on him otherwise.

leon24

It’s not about the DM the team is so badly lacking, it’s the manager that needs to be changed.

With the players we have in the team, the lack of a proper DM shouldn’t even be in the spotlight.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Very flat performance, never looked like getting a second goal and their equaliser was pretty much a nailed-on certainty (I predicted a draw). Very few good performances and yes, Fred was hugely to blame for their goal but Varane was caught too and Shaw miles out of position. Rio is right: top defenders would have brought Gray down and taken the yellow card. I'd also quite like to have seen DDG at least dive to try to stop it...

I have absolutely no idea why Ole took off Cavani - he looked about the only threat.

As I said, flat performance and while that is down to the players, it's the manager's job to gee them up. this is exactly what I've been saying for months: Ole just isn't up to the job

Lyng

Ole has massive issues with subs. It's like he doesn't read the game.
Matic was needed to add stability, but instead he goes for Pogba who doesn't really do anything in this kind of situation.

McFred had a decent game until the goal. We need to be more willing to take a yellow. There is a reason players like Kante and Fernandinho make these tackles so often.
Shaw isn't back to his last season form yet but was overall better today.

Lindelöf and Varane where better together than what we have seen from Varane - Maguire so far.

Sancho was much better today but his weak finish in the end really taints his performance.

Overall though our passing needs work. We loose the ball from bad passes way to often.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Everton
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Everton