PL L FA Premier League

Everton 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 April 2022

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Im all for playing the kids since we're not really playing for anything anymore.

The fix starts with the right manager, but the damage of one season carries on to the next in terms of european qualification, which will affect our summer signings too.

This lot are soulless and inept and half of them should be gone soon. I honestly cant believe we've managed to get worse after Ole left.
This is where you need to get the right manager and sell the project.

redmanx

We’ve flirted with that form multiple times over the past couple of seasons as well. The Ole spell last September and October. Then a year before that when we lost 6-1 against Spurs and had a few bad results at that time.
Under Rangnick we've won the lowest percentage of our matches since the Prem started - 47%.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Without being narcissistic, some may know me as a staunch Ole supporter. I agreed he had to go from about the Leicester game.

It wasn’t a mistake, he really did have to go. But I truly believe we are worse off now than we would be if he had stayed. That’s not to say I want him back but it is a measure of how badly we are doing under RR (not that it is his fault either). Pathetic is an overused word on this forum but there is no better word for it.
We'd be a few places lower were he still in charge.

redmanx

Without being narcissistic, some may know me as a staunch Ole supporter. I agreed he had to go from about the Leicester game.

It wasn’t a mistake, he really did have to go. But I truly believe we are worse off now than we would be if he had stayed. That’s not to say I want him back but it is a measure of how badly we are doing under RR (not that it is his fault either). Pathetic is an overused word on this forum but there is no better word for it.
I fail to see where we've improved since Ole went.

JohnnyKills

To be absolutely honest anybody who takes the job on is a) stupid, b) desperate, c) away with the fairies, d) idiotically arrogant. I cant believe anybody in their right minds would want to come anywhere near this lot.
Disagree actually. We've got loads of good kids, a big budget and we've made some good appointments behind the scenes. We'll be fine long-term and it's the chance to revive an ailing giant.

Loads of these players need to go though.

Gatecrasher27

To be absolutely honest anybody who takes the job on is a) stupid, b) desperate, c) away with the fairies, d) idiotically arrogant. I cant believe anybody in their right minds would want to come anywhere near this lot.
I do, the answer is as simple as it is for getting the useless players we have in, over pay them

JohnnyKills

Yeah, I just mean the next lot of kids to play have been loaned out. Garner should be starting our midfield right now but we left him at Forest.
True. Surely a great chance to have a look at McNeill, Hansen-Aaroen, Mjebri, Shoretire though.

I'd put them on the bench and bring them on. They'll have loads of goodwill from the fans and it's a chance to gain something meaningful from the season.

Big E

Because I’ve watched about 300 in the last 9 years.
Try watching some of the games under big Ron :D

Been some good performances since Fergie left. Must have been to win some cups.

Many United fans have had the good times for decades and can't deal with failure and that's fair enough. This is beyond that now. It's getting worse isn't it season on season

redmanx

Disagree actually. We've got loads of good kids, a big budget and we've made some good appointments behind the scenes. We'll be fine long-term and it's the chance to revive an ailing giant.

Loads of these players need to go though.
And the only chance any manager has is to make it part of his contract that he can get rid of who ever he wants, when he wants, regadless of the financial implications. If not we'll never get shot of Lingard, Jones, Rashford, Maguire, etc.

ForeverRed1

Who wants to come to a club where reputations go to die?

Part of the problem is people just think "we'll get a new set of players". Well, not being in the CL means a lot less money. Finishing 5th or 10th means a lot less money. The coaches need to work with the players they have. The players have to work with each other.
I agree but we need investment. We won’t win the league or get into Europe with these players. We need to work with them but we also need to sell a fair few and replace them.

Marwood

I saw some effort, I just didn't see any confidence or ability in the opposition half.

DomesticTadpole

And the only chance any manager has is to make it part of his contract that he can get rid of who ever he wants, when he wants, regadless of the financial implications. If not we'll never get shot of Lingard, Jones, Rashford, Maguire, etc.
Lingard is going on a free, so we would have to be on some insane level of stupidity to resign him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The same players that give up and chucked two managers under the bus, they're all a bunch of detestable charlatans and bang average to boot.
Half of the players have changed over the years. This club is rotten far more than the individual players.

Irwin99

Anyone watching the team recently would know that 4th wasn’t an option
It's more the hope and the sense of pride that the players might feel in the difference between finishing top 4 and playing champions league or finishing Europa/Conference league which nobody will really want.

Even if they don't like Ralf and his methods just put a bit more into it. Our club has the one of the top wages bills in world football.

OverratedOpinion

Rashford had a good 3 minutes or so and was then average for the rest. By a mile his best performance of the season.

It's all just a bit rubbish, it is a weird position because we already know there will be major change in the summer with a new manager. Also top 4 has been off the table for weeks. Annoying to watch but not as terrible as when you have no idea if any change is in sight I suppose.

DomesticTadpole

Eventually all these players will go if we don't renew them. The key thing is how much of a financial hit we want to take.
I would be thinking about the future of the club, change the way you lengthen contracts (which they already showing stupidity), put the right sort of incentives in, stop rewarding players too early. Look if players have the right character before you sign them. You need to have the skin of a rhino to play for United, too many fold under the slightest criticism, instead of using it to prove us wrong. If somebody is the wrong fit, sell them, do not be embarrassed to admit you got it wrong.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
No idea why half the bench were actually on the bench, two goalkeepers too, pretty much a big feck you to the youth.

Pogba, Mata, Lingard and Jones won't be here next season so why are we giving them any responsibility in getting us top four? Yes they're paid a fortune to do so, but they've proven that doesn't matter.

The group Ole has left is an embarrassment for everyone at the club, but for Ralf to keep putting faith in these mercenaries is on him, youth may lose, but at least they'd lose trying- which every Manchester United fan would appreciate right now.

DomesticTadpole

No idea why half the bench were actually on the bench, two goalkeepers too, pretty much a big feck you to the youth.

Pogba, Mata, Lingard and Jones won't be here next season so why are we giving them any responsibility in getting us top four? Yes they're paid a fortune to do so, but they've proven that doesn't matter.

The group Ole has left is an embarrassment for everyone at the club, but for Ralf to keep putting faith in these mercenaries is on him, youth may lose, but at least they'd lose trying- which every Manchester United fan would appreciate right now.
Maybe the next game the fans need to sing. 'We want the kids'.

Wing Attack Plan R

We lost the ball in the center circle, they countered, shot from outside the box and got a lucky deflection. I wouldn’t blame Matic or Maguire for the goal, or AWB for not being back. AWB was where he needed to be when it mattered, he kept Richarlison from having a run to the bye it’s Lucky deflections are not a function of playing badly but a function of luck.

we were the better team. We created better chances. Pickford made more saves.

It’s clear we aren’t approaching matches with any masterminded tactical plan. We are being coached to do the basics and take our chances, but the shot’s aren’t going in. To me it looks like the players aren’t buying into RR’s full press fitness regime, because as Fred says, they don’t know who will be coaching them next season, so this is the interregnum.

Everton were largely ugly to the eye but they got lucky. We werethe architects of our own downfall by sloppy passing, and being overly reliant on individual magic instead of hard graft.

play the kids, avoid Europe.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The lack of motion and determination in trying to win the 2nd balls is an absolute headache.

Sancho literally motionless gawping at a free ball in the first 10 minutes pretty much summed up his and our play.

These guys just don't fecking move.
They scared of being competitive ?

talking robot

This game will have probably strengthened Ten Hag’s bargaining position concerning his control.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
This is where you need to get the right manager and sell the project.
In my view ETH is the right man. We have made some appointments behind the scenes that seem to indicate the club has decided football decisions shouldn't be made by bankers. But in football, and in the premier league in particular, you drop off so quickly. The damage of this season means the manager we bring in might not be able to get his top targets for next year, which could lead to investment in players than arent't of the required quality again.

And from what we've heard, ETH will want specific players for his system. I just hope that with proper coaching and with a clear gameplan, some of this lot will look better next year. Its clearer than ever than the way back is a long term project, but the end of the season cant come quick enough, and we have to watch liverpool and city battle it out for all major honors.

OrcaFat

We'd be a few places lower were he still in charge.
I doubt it. We’ll never know.

Point is we are dire and heading for the Europa conference or worse and the change of manager has had no meaningful effect to improve performances or results never mind attitude or confidence.

Again, we had to make a change but it really hasn’t helped.

Troozi

Well, it's hard to know what to say...

I'm not surprised by the result at all. Not only did I expect a defeat, but I expected this poor performance from us. The players just aren't putting the effort in, and I honestly wouldn't care what players get sold in the summer, I have no love for anyone apart from DeGea, who needs to be regarded as a club legend for everything he's done over the last 10 years.

I can see us spiraling for the rest of the season and finishing in 10th (I haven't actually looked at the league, to see if that's mathematically possible). Champions League is 100% not happening, and Europa is unlikely. Tbh I think missing out that would be a blessing in disguise. If we had managed to sneak 4th place then the club/management would continue as normal. Now it feels like change is needed, not just to succeed, but to stop things getting worse.

I want ETH and I want to give him all the time he needs. If it takes 3-5 years so be it. As long as we have the players putting in the required effort (100%), and we can see things improving.

steffyr2

I finally saw the Everton goal. McGuire is just doomed this year, every rebound/deflection off him goes in for a goal (and for the wrong team).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The crazy part is if you put average footballers on the field vs Everton today, they would have given much more.
Our players didnt even look like they wanted to play, they're in an autopilot mode. Playing just because they have a contract that says they have to play when asked.

G-manc

Utterly awful and not remotely surprised by the result.

The usual lack of urgency and short sideways/backwards passing with zero penetration. Such a painful watch.

Everton were also terrible but at least the effort was there from them.

Glorio

We're talking about heart and desire, but in all honesty, a good few of our players are just not good enough for fighting for 4th place.

At various points we had Telles, AWB, or Elanga with the ball at the edge of the box, and at no point did I really believe they'd deliver a quality ball, neither did I think Matic or Pogba would beat any opponent to the ball, I didn't expect Ronaldo to get away from any defender, however I did hope he'd somehow get the ball in the box, and I only remember that happening about once all game where he was understandably a bit slower in reacting to shoot than he'd have been in his prime, allowing Keane to take the ball off him.

I did hope a few times that Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford or Bruno might pull up a magical moment, and that was it. And while you could argue that these four plus Pogba are performing below the level you'd expect them to (Ronaldo is arguable though, he's 37), for the rest, it's their level really, isn't it? They can't actually perform better than they showed.

Telle, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Elanga, Matic, Ronaldo (due to age) are often no better than their opposite numbers most games we play. And even though they didn't play, toss in McTominay and Dalot if you like. We're expecting too much it seems.

We came second last season because we had a very deadly counter attacking front 3 with an on form Bruno behind them. That's no longer the case, and we're seeing the true level of the team.

OrcaFat

The crazy part is if you put average footballers on the field vs Everton today, they would have given much more.
Our players didnt even look like they wanted to play, they're in an autopilot mode. Playing just because they have a contract that says they have to play when asked.
Our players ARE average.

Okay some of them are very decent players who are not playing well. And they could all apply themselves better. The more serious issue is the lack of elite quality in key areas of the pitch - CM especially, but also at the sharp end. Sorting CM will help immeasurably but we need better finishers up top. Unless we strike gold with some unknown bargain players, a quarter of a billion quid is the minimum spend to make a proper impact on our prospects (that’s bringing in 3-4 elite players).

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I doubt it. We’ll never know.

Point is we are dire and heading for the Europa conference or worse and the change of manager has had no meaningful effect to improve performances or results never mind attitude or confidence.

Again, we had to make a change but it really hasn’t helped.
When you're that broken as a manager the inevitable impact will be more results like the one we saw against Watford and not just what we witnessed in the Liverpool and City debacles.

But as you say it can never be proven and these players are equally rotten in attitude and ability irrespective of who is in charge.

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 240 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Everton 0:2 Man Utd