FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 3:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Fri, 06 January 2023

Al-T

Job done. Rest/rotate against Charlton before the derby.

This is as poor an Everton side as I can remember. Wonder who they'll replace Lampard with to try and breathe life into the corpse.

tjb

Some really nice quick passing moves. Didn’t always work and we were caught out a few times with Bruno’s stupid flicks which he insists on doing.

Rashford played well, run at the defence and created problems.

Our right side with dalot and Antony just doesn’t click, Antony needs to runat his man more I feel, too predictable with that left foot. Dalot didn’t have a great game, some silly passes.

Casemiro also didn’t have a fantastic night, some really sloppy passes which Everton broke away from.

Martial wasn’t great but got into some good positions and should have had a goal for 2-0 but it was a decent save from Pickford.

Overall, it was an okay performance with sloppiness sprinkled throughout. Made it more difficult than it had to be. Ref didn’t help at all. Need to tighten up before the City game if we want a chance of some points.
I remember Bruno's flicks creating our counter opportunites. In fact, the initial period, Bruno's movement was giving Everton headaches. Plus his defensive work was pretty good. I'm not sure people are actually watching him play. Martial and Antony weren't great. At a point, there were times when we chose not to go down the right side because nothing was coming out of it. He needs to take his man on more, but I think that will come.

De Gea's mistake was poor, but outside of that, I don't think we were compromised until Casemiro went off.

Dan_F

Frank sounds rough. If I close my eyes, I don’t think I’d even guess that’s him talking.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Main take away from tonight is Keane's amazing mustache.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Grinding out results wins you stuff. Just sayin'.

Kag

Tough at times, but we played well in spells and looked better going forward than we have more generally.

Our pressing is much improved these days.

wangyu

I thought he was great in his decision making to be honest
ok it is possible, it looked as though he was trying to take on the entire Everton team on his own at times to me. But that is not really a negative I like that confidence. He is flying at the moment which is not the first time, we have to hope he keeps it up this time.

eire-red

I think Onana is a decent player and one we should keep tabs on as a squad option if Everton go down or are under pressure from FFP.

Meh performance from us, but Rashford was pure class once more.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Frank reckons they had the better chances
I think he thinks he's saying what our fans want to hear, when in reality we all just want him to look down the camera and tell us we are shite and Moshiri is a cnut.

Geistman

I only got to watch last 30 minutes of the game. From what I could see, Antony definitely got a bit of confidence with getting his goal but my God is he one footed, still though some silky skills and hopefully more to come, offers great balance. I think also ETH is managing Garnacho well, he wasn't as involved as you'd like but in fairness Everton were chasing the game and Garnacho made some very nice runs which weren't picked out, does he get an assist for the peno?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Shaw was very good apart from one mistake that nearly cost us. Dalot solid. Casemiro and Varane composed as usual.

Cathy Ferguson

Rashford is quickly becoming our only attacking outlet. Bruno is out of form and has been so for a long time. Martial and Antony need to step up which I doubt they can.

siw2007

Get in! Next round. That wasn’t by any stretch anywhere near our best, did we deserve to win this one? Probably, but it was much harder than it should have been. I thought we were going to batter them after the first goal, but after a clumsy error at the back it was a frustrating game for us that could have gone in Everton’s favour and it threatened to be a replay at times.

Wasn’t that fussed to start with but after seeing Everton fans lob coins at us and one nearly hitting a 6 year old girl then I was desperate to do them in. Fortunately they ran out of money and just threw chocolate buttons at us.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I remember Bruno's flicks creating our counter opportunites. In fact, the initial period, Bruno's movement was giving Everton headaches. Plus his defensive work was pretty good. I'm not sure people are actually watching him play.
Perhaps a couple of times it created a counter but I counted at least 3 or 4 other times it just laid the ball into the middle for their midfield to counter us with. It was frustrating to watch him.

In my opinion he made too many mistakes tonight overall. He’s a had a string of mediocre to poor performances lately. His decision making in the 2nd half was lacklustre. Is he fatigued from too many games? Maybe. Should he have some time on the bench? Perhaps, but difficult to do as we don’t have much depth in the position he plays.

cyberman

Rashford is quickly becoming our only attacking outlet. Bruno is out of form and has been so for a long time. Martial and Antony need to step up which I doubt they can.
Bruno is carrying our transition and ability to break teams down around the box on his back?!

RyRy11

Not bad.. Martial, Eriksen and DDG pretty poor tonight! Malacia needs to sort out his positioning, Antony needs to discover his right foot

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Entertaining game. Not sure many players actually played that well for us though. Rashford clearly our best performer tonight.
Poor performance but good win to go to the next round. Rashford obvious MoTM, I'll be really worried if we don't sign a striker this month because other attacking players are not playing well atm.
Be fair lads, most of them played on Tuesday. Hope we have a good rotation vs Charlton though.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Shouldn't have even been that close, thanks DDG. Everton hardly had a sniff and almost had it at 2-2 off of nothing.

We fecked up chances to put this one to bed early though. What's new.
Yeah, that is one thing I hate about DDG. He will be an absolute hero and savior for a run of games, and then suddenly pull complete rookie bullshit like he did today. I don't think he has had a season recently where he hasn't done that. Thank God it happened in a fecking cup game, this time. But he better bounce back before City game because we need the flawless, impenetrable DDG in that one, not whatever the crap version it was today.

NewGlory

We can’t keep relying solely on Rashford, our other attackers need to step up.
True. At least Antony had a tap-in today, that was positive, but Martial needs to get his head out of his ass, and Garnacho is a kid, but if he is gonna play this much, he needs to score once in a while, with all due respect to the kid.

NewGlory

Do you think it would tickle if he snuck up behind you and kissed you on the neck?
That is a weird fantasy to have, bro. Just saying :) Not judging, just saying.

Savlehest

It is unbelievable so many negative comments. We thought, ran like hell, supported each other and totally dominated a bad Everton team. I really enjoyed we showed a high pace dominance for once. Rashford is definitely Motm. I like how Eriksen find the players in between the lines. And a good match for ETH as well.

The Hilton

We were sloppy and generally our own worst enemy tonight - allowed Everton to hit us on the break a lot and didn't really control the game at all. However we played some decent stuff and deserved to win.

redmanx

There were a few "squeaky bum moments" but in the main it was a pretty comfortable win; I cant remember Everton troubling DDG too much, before and after his howler, but DDG has been superb this season so I think we can forgive him his couple of errors tonight. Rashford was excellent but Martial had 3 very good chances and blew them all; he simply isnt a natural goal scorer and I would prefer we sold him on.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm starting to get concerned about the number of chances we give to opposition. Bournemouth had some, Wolves had some and today, Everton also had lot of joy. We just can't play like this against City and Arsenal. City will just take us to cleaners.

SirScholes

Should of been over after 10 minutes but martial couldn’t finish his dinner
Garnacho needs to calm down, bundle of talent but he needs to stop tackling himself

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 94% of 247 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 215 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw