PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 March 2024

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Play like that against Liverpool and we will be looking at, yet another, historic humiliation. There was more about Man Utd under Mourinho than there is now. This was basically Poundland parking the bus: All the negativity, none of the incision on the counter.

Redbandito

Our keeper was great today though
Yes. Man of the match for me. Think many on the board are overrating Garnacho’s match today. Both pk’s were more about sloppy defending than brilliant play from him. I don’t believe we score in either of those situations without the foul. But then you look at his lack of tactical awareness, his poor first touch, the amount of giveaways throughout the game, and how frequently he is wasteful when getting behind the defense, I just don’t see him as the quality threat many here do. He’s quick, and he is somewhat dangerous on the counter. But like Bruno, he’s a home run ball player. He’s going to give the ball away 7 times out of 10, while playing out of control, and having no clear idea of how to attack a defense. Also like Bruno, he’s a very direct player, so he produces moments of brilliance. But in my opinion, this team will never be a contender to win the league until we have players in attacking positions that are more complete players. Garnacho is one dimensional. He is young, so perhaps he grows into it. But my point here is just that Onana had a better performance than Garnacho by a good margin today…despite the pk’s drawn.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
50/50 possession?

And against Everton that don't like having the ball.

siw2007

Drab game overall but it is 3 points won. Everton played better than us for long periods, especially in the first half but Garnacho forced 2 errors from their defence to get 2 penalties. 2nd half was boring but it is job done.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Play like that against Liverpool and we will be looking at, yet another, historic humiliation.
This is true. If Hojlund isn't back and on form we will get panned.

jimmyb2000

We gave away our minimum 20 shots against us every game as usual

Red Comet

I feel that we are going to get pounded again against Liverpool.

Alex123

I think it was good and don´t understand the negativity. Some shaky moments at the beginning but overall very professional and tactically very good performance. Garnacho with another great game. He seems to play well in every game and that´s very rare for someone so young.

Korwas

Over the last 3 seasons we have a terrible combined +15 goal difference and it's because we never dominate games like this.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Rooney's blood pressure looks really dangerous for a man that age.

mancsarered

Dire. These days I'm only watching to see Garnacho and Mainoo play. Rasmus as well when he's fit.

georgegroves

That chap doesn't understand the definition of lucky it seems.
Lucky that the opposition cant finish their dinner. Thought that would have been obvious. Most of our wins at home last season were built on this, getting peppered and getting lucky and then bailed out with individual brilliance

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
2nd half was a total waste of time, my U8s played better this morning !

Stig

I thought that when we passed in transition, to each other, that we looked good. It did break down upfront because we don't have a centre forward or a winger who wants to come in and receive the ball centrally. With a centre forward we would have looked much better.

Defensively we never looked I trouble and I know Everton are the lowest scorers in the league.

In the second half we didn't know how to control the game, but we were missing at least 3 key starters.

I don't think all things considered it was as bad as people are making out.

Of course the defensive passes from Casamerio and Bruno to their players could well have been fatal if done against a better team than Everton.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Soo boring but job done. Can’t see anything other than a battering to Liverpool. Hope Hojland at least makes it to give us a punchers chance.

Yanited__

First half very poor, second half an improvement. Overall we got the job done but don't see this as sustainable

Stig

The commentator made two interesting points.

1) we've had 6 players at left back this year.

2) Evans and Varane are our most played central partnership 6, was it games, and we've have 11 combinations there.

Stig

We won and got 3 points.

If you want entertainment go and watch clowns.

.... one of my favourite quotes

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The commentator made two interesting points.

1) we've had 6 players at left back this year.

2) Evans and Varane are our most played central partnership 6, was it games, and we've have 11 combinations there.
It can't help the consistancy. Still think the midfield is the biggest issue and that it has put defence under pressure.

always_hoping

Lucky that the opposition cant finish their dinner. Thought that would have been obvious. Most of our wins at home last season were built on this, getting peppered and getting lucky and then bailed out with individual brilliance
How many clear cut chances had Everton this afternoon? Onana a few saves all of them routine. individual brilliance is such silly phrase, even the best United teams under Ferguson won plenty of matches with individual brilliance.

Liverpool beat Everton also 2-0 at home this season, it was 10 v 11 for an hour with Ashley Young getting sent off. Goals was a penalty on 75 minutes (debatable hand ball) and 2nd goal scored in the 7th minute of added time. United's win today a more routine and comfortably win against a 11 man Everton.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 67% of 205 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 188 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw