CL W Champions League Group A

Manchester United 1:0 FC Copenhagen

Post-match discussion

Tue, 24 October 2023

RedDevilQuebecois

The unloved to the rescue! But as much as I'm happy with Maguire and Onana redeeming themselves with very solid performances, I will discuss about them further them. There are also a few more things worth discussing about, in alphabetical order.

Antony... I don't know how much the recent problems with his ex disturbed him, but he is in a situation where he should take a back seat because he has been utterly bad this season as a whole.

Bruno... He had a pathetic first half, but looked OK in the second half. He could have had a massive assist if Garnacho was not this bad with the first touch in front of goal. Regardless, Bruno needs to find a way to stay focused no matter how much it is down to where he plays.

Eriksen... A shame he couldn't score on that set-up by Højlund, but his arrival after halftime changed the way we played for the better.

Garnacho... plays with urgency and directness. He made a strong impact to our attacking initiative, but he needs to improve his composure in front of goal because it is not the first time that he played a needless second touch when he had the goalkeeper in front of him. Just shoot that sucker (the ball) when you are in front of the goal.

Højlund... Excellent in holding up the play. You just can see the potential, even if he didn't score. I feel that a few more games with Garnacho to his left will make him an even more potent threat for any opposition.

Maguire... He has been increasingly doing better and better in recent weeks. It's really fitting that he scored the goal; really gotta give it to him for surviving the criticism and the abuse. May this good run continue for as long as he keeps playing it simple.

McTominay... Can you stop being so clumsy when we have to protect the lead?

Onana... There has been a steady improvement in the last 3 games now and he was getting really good before THAT penalty save. Right before the city game, that save should hopefully be a massive confidence booster.

Rashford... It seems that I keep on repeating myself on the notion that he needs to get benched. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but he is becoming a severe liability to the team. As others have pointed out before me, he needs a proper kick in the arse. I don't have sympathy for the way he wastes himself with that stupid game of useless dribbles. The more he carries on like that, the closer he gets to Angel Di Maria territory of hate.

sparx99

You must be making these statements after every game these days.

"Fergie lost to Villa at OT"
"Fergie lost to Bilbao"
"Fergie lost to Ajax"
"We used to win ugly 1-0s under Fergie"

People can't even distinguish between one-offs and consistent shite on stick football these days.
I just thought it was funny that of all teams we actually played and lost to Copenhagen and that was with a fantastic team that went on to win everything.

croadyman

On the one hand, we've shown collective resolve to battle back into the games where we've been in trouble. Players who were under fire have stepped up and shown some serious bottle.

On the other hand, we've struggled to beat three poor sides and turned in some utterly atrocious first half performances.

I'd like to think that these second half performances are the side slowly starting to knit together but it's hard to ignore how much dross we've been serving up.

Still, there's some cause for optimism with the improvements from Onana and Maguire and just the general determination we've shown to win these games.
Chuffed for both of them and certainly didn't think we would hear Maguire's name being sung around Old Trafford again

croadyman

No, he doesn't, and its starting to get annoying.

Despite being chubby and out of shape, and just generally playing shit all season, is there any doubt that Casemiro comes straight back in on Sunday?

Despite never offering much more than effort, but being especially shit since he returned to the club from his break, is there any doubt that Antony starts on Sunday? That Rashford and Bruno both start, with the later staying on the pitch now matter how many times he gives the ball straight back to the opposition?

Why on earth would Hannibal want to stay here? He got some chances and did reasonably well, but hasn't been seen in weeks. Does Amad think he can come in and get minutes over Antony at right wing, or Bruno in the middle? Will he feck. He might as well start looking for a new club now as well.
How do these players get an opportunity,like you say Hannibal must be thinking what have I done wrong in this team. Agree with the poster who said McTominay is best as someone to throw on for a goal but not a midfield starter.

Cantonagotmehere

Anyone else watch the game on Paramount the States? I have never heard a more anti united feckhead commentator, ever. I will go mute with him next time.

Not sure what to say about the game, but very happy for Onana.

Forgot, Hojlund's touch is gorgeous. He's going to a great one for United, IMHO.

Last edited:

Piskin

We were mostly awful against a poor team, Antony & Rashford are stealing a living as footballers.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Anyone else watch the game on Paramount the States? I have never heard a more anti united feckhead commentator, ever. I will go mute with him next time.

Not sure what to say about the game, but very happy for Onana.

Forgot, Hojlund's touch is gorgeous. He's going to a great one for United, IMHO.
Yeah I did - I tune them out TBH because the likes of locker room and other shite like that does my head in

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Serious question, are you going to watch? If I felt like you not sure why I would.
Of course, I will watch. I sat through all 7 goals last season.

It aint going to get any worse this time around.

Being a supporter isnt about supporting the club when they are winning.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

+1 - true fans watch no matter what

lysglimt

Scout
To take the positives:

Onana was solid
Maguire was solid
We looked ok defensively
The last 25 minutes we looked ok going forward as well
We did actually create some decent chances in the second half
Højlund once again works hard - so he will eventually come good
We won

Negative:

More or less everything else

lysglimt

Scout
How far have we fallen to scrape past Copenhagen? It’s gonna be a long season guys, buckle up
In fairness - a much better team than us struggled just as much (Munich) - they may not be a great side, but they are extremely well organized

Jagared

A roller coaster of emotion in this game. Glad we came out with all the 3 points.

I'm baffled at the reluctance of the coach to try other players in the position where some are failing. I cannot understand why Martial or Garnacho cannot be tried in the place of Rashford, Antony as they continues to drop below par performances.

I also wonder what the like of Hanibbal, and to a lesser extent Palestri need to do to get a look in. Sometimes, I wonder if Rashford and co train so 'well and hard' but just become lucklustere during games or they are just undroppable for whatever reason.

Cloud7

I didn’t get to watch the match, but on a personal level I’m happy for Maguire and Onana. They both really needed some good moments.

MADReaLJL

We changed players and managers, but I still wonder why our central midfielders keep hiding behind the opponents during build up.

I used to think it's McFred's issue, but it seems like becoming our pattern of play, regardless of the players (maybe except Eriksen).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Very well said. A true Manchester United supporter supports the side however they are doing.
We are struggling at the moment but I am definitely seeing signs of life and the will to win is beginning to return.

Of course we will be severely tested by City and Liverpool.
But let's not write us off just yet.

Red_Aaron

Glad we got over the line but I can't help but think it's just delaying the inevitable at this point. That performance certainly doesn't win away to Copenhagen or Galatasaray

Whatever we're trying to do simply isn't working, the team look like a bunch of strangers, no one is playing with any conviction. Confidence is obviously an issue (a very important one in sports) but I wonder if they're getting too much information, no one is doing anything quickly or instinctively, every tiny pass is delayed as if they're second guessing it. Our attacking players especially seem to all want to play different styles.

Stranger things have happened in football so maybe we somehow beat city and everything falls into place but I still don't see enough signs of a team knowing what they're supposed to be doing. I'm still behind ETH but it's really concerning

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Been supporting United since the 70s. So I have gone through a few down cycles.

We have always been a cup team. Fergie was a blip.
Hate to admit it but you make a fair point that Sir Alex Ferguson probably was a blip.
But a bloody fantastic blip all the same. Unlikely to be repeated, certainly not in my life time.
I go back to the 60s.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I'm glad im doing all my complaining after a win and not a draw.

Good game from Maguire, Onana and Eriksen. Horrible from Rashford, Bruno, Antony, Mctomminay.

I always see positives from Hojlund, and the potential is there.

EtH needs to start dropping underperformers. We cant play with 4-5 players giving a 3/10 every game. What reason does rashford have to keep starting, and same with bruno.

Savlehest

I don’t get it, every single one of our players is better than FCK. But still somehow they play so much better as a team, more smooth, better passes and press as a team. We are so headless.
ETH proclaimed he will make a high press machine, but we just stand there and cover the zones. So easy to get through and teams like city and Liverpool can and probably will destroy us. I don’t get it. What is his plan and why the hell can’t he make it work. It can’t be all down to injuries in the back line..

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
That penalty was never going in.
Onana was not alone.
Sir Bobby was watching.

I love Manchester United.

TomSkalle

People act like Copenhagen did something very strange tactics to block United at home as they did, but they just played their cards good.
They had obviously studied Uniteds ineptitude to break down defensive teams.

All they did was pulling United over at their half chasing down the ball, then when it opened up they just played direct fotball to get ball into Uniteds box and hope for some random stuff to happen.
It didnt happen yesterday, but it could easily have, because Copenhagens had 10 corners and several dangerous involments inside our box.
This is not random. They just played it simple and moved the ball around the defence until United was forced to move people forward and open up.

Its actually Ten Hag's job to identify this and make changes during the game to counter it.
We are an easy side to play against and we play without any confidence up front.

Where are our game plan? Just run at Copenhagens defence and hope for a lucky goal?
Trust that our defence can take care of the direct balls into our box?
I just dont see it.
Ten Hag needs to get the players on the same page.
I know its difficult with all the injuries, but i may be stupid, but i cant see that the players actually follow a system from match to match.

And we need another "experienced" striker next window.
Not another youngster.

Against City we just do as Copenhagen tried against us. And cross our fingers.

edgecutter

Great win in the circumstances, but let's be honest, that was another shit performance that should send alarm bells. How eth thinks that midfield that started yesterday was good enough needs some serious debate.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Hate to admit it but you make a fair point that Sir Alex Ferguson probably was a blip.
But a bloody fantastic blip all the same. Unlikely to be repeated, certainly not in my life time.
I go back to the 60s.
Old fecks like us have pretty much have been spoilt during that period. We always had big name players aka stars. But somehow never seem to be consistent enough to win.

The other thing that has hit me hard is the passing of Sir Bobby. He was my favourite united player/personality. He to me personified my United. Brilliant and yet humble.

Games matter less as a result.

Last edited:

TheGame

To take the positives:

Onana was solid
Maguire was solid
We looked ok defensively
The last 25 minutes we looked ok going forward as well
We did actually create some decent chances in the second half
Højlund once again works hard - so he will eventually come good
We won

Negative:

More or less everything else
I thought apart from 1 or 2 things, Dalot had a solid game as well.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Such struggles to beat a Danish team :nervous:
Our last 5 goals are 3x Scott, 1x Dalot and 1x Maguire
Teams are better organized (even if ‘only’ Danish). Arrogance and entitlement don’t improve the scoresheet. Copenhagen played really well last night and will be a challenge away.

OrcaFat

Hopefully we're saving Mount just to give them a "different look" during the return fixture.

Honestly don't understand how by all accounts he's a top class player and yet we can't find any use for him, even if not in his preferred role.
I don’t think it’s a problem. McT was just being selected on a good run of form (mainly getting goals). They are competing for places. It’s good. Mount will be back.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What is with certain people dismissing teams as shite and showing them disrespect without knowing the first thing about them. Copenhagen who looked solid against Bayern and should have beaten Galatasaray. Some clueless people on here.
From Denmark and not heard of their players = has to be championship quality. Just pure ignorance.

Nogbadthebad

Its easy to get carried away by the dramatic stuff, but the reality is we were awful all game against very weak opposition.

Play like that against city and they will score 7 or 8 against us.

The worrying thing for me is that this has become the normal level of performance. I was expecting us to be bad, to not have any real shape or strategy, to have a massive disconnect between the forwards and defenders and to basically abandon any attempt to control the central areas.

And that is exactly what happened.

Man of the Match

Andre Onana image Andre Onana 57% of 311 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 279 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win