PL W FA Premier League

Fulham 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 November 2022

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They had excellent chances and should have scored as well. We surely were not the better team for most of the time, and only got back into the game towards the end
But we had more/better chances. That’s a fact. Look up the xG. And we were the better team for the whole of the first half, plus that last 15 minutes = majority of the game.

Hughes35

Poor performance if we're being honest. Saved by a player that is clearly going to be a bit special.

Just hope all this arrogance they talk about is the good Ronaldo / Zlatan type and not the bad Ravel / Lingard type.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We had more/better chances than them though. Fulham were on top for half an hour in the second half and that’s it. We were the better side for the rest of the match. Not what you’d think from comments in here.
We definitely had the better chances. I think there's a bad perception of the game because Fulham had slightly more possession and it looked like we were kicking the ball long too often. Their xG was also quite high. There was a graphic in first half an hour I think that most of the action was in the middle of the part an our 3rd, what suggested we were dominated while we just played something I would call "pragmatic" football.

Contrary for many games we played before, this time we wanted to create with very few passes so it looked rushed on many occasions.

The White Pele

We need more depth as we’ve lost a bit of momentum in the last few weeks which is probably down to the accumulation of games and getting a bit leggy.

Garnacho is a massive plus on that front as we suddenly have quite a few options in the wide forward areas.

Important to end on a high so the result was massive.

justsomebloke

But we had more/better chances. That’s a fact. Look up the xG. And we were the better team for the whole of the first half, plus that last 15 minutes = majority of the game.
I suppose you could have a debate about what "better" means. So far this season Fulham have been a team that has scored a lot, but also conceded a lot. To me it looked like a different game plan for us than usual - very direct in our attacking game, always looking to play in behind their high line. That meant less possession than usual, which again means less control. The xG suggests this was a successful approach overall, but we didn't really succeed in limiting their offensive game that much, and it would be difficult to argue we had control in the midfield. I suppose we figured this was the best way to deal with their high press and get the most out of their high line, and that we could deal with what they could roll up offensively better than they could deal with our counters. Which of course was largely vindicated by the result.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
We definitely had the better chances. I think there's a bad perception of the game because Fulham had slightly more possession and it looked like we were kicking the ball long too often. Their xG was also quite high. There was a graphic in first half an hour I think that most of the action was in the middle of the part an our 3rd, what suggested we were dominated while we just played something I would call "pragmatic" football.

Contrary for many games we played before, this time we wanted to create with very few passes so it looked rushed on many occasions.
I think the bad feeling comes from the 15 minutes before and after Fulham scored. We were playing really badly, couldn’t hold on to the ball and the game was getting away from us. Which is tough to watch and soured the experience for fans watching the match. Even though we finished the game on top, once we got Garnacho on.

I guarantee if we rewatched the game without all those negative emotions it would be much more clear that we were the better team overall, despite that very poor 30-35 minute period. And I also think that Fulham are a good enough team that they will get on top for a period of time in most home games. Including against the best teams in the league.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Fairly happy with 6/9 from WH, Villa and Fulham considering we could have easily dropped points against WH and Fulham as well, and injuries to key players.

Some appalling misses against Fulham, should have been more comfortable.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So pleased we won before the WC. Would have been very frustrating to sit on a draw/defeat for over a month.

Smores

It was a poor performance no getting away from that. We've reverted to old ways in recent weeks which is a concern but hopefully we'll regroup post world cup.

I think there's still certain players who have done the old trick of riding a couple of good games but fundamentally they're flawed for this style.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think the bad feeling comes from the 15 minutes before and after Fulham scored. We were playing really badly, couldn’t hold on to the ball and the game was getting away from us. Which is tough to watch and soured the experience for fans watching the match. Even though we finished the game on top, once we got Garnacho on.

I guarantee if we rewatched the game without all those negative emotions it would be much more clear that we were the better team overall, despite that very poor 30-35 minute period. And I also think that Fulham are a good enough team that they will get on top for a period of time in most home games. Including against the best teams in the league.
If you sum the chances then yes. However...

This chart makes me nervous. Our first half was actually really good considering we didn't play good football. We had some proper chances and basically restricted Fulham to having the ball in the middle. The second half is a different story, we stopped created anything and gave Fulham far too much space and time what resulted in some a couple of decent chances a number of smaller chances.
Now the question is, if this game was continued for another 90', I am not sure if I would fancy us getting a result.

I don't know what changed exactly, the easiest explanation is we are really tired and the team runs out of has very quickly. This seems possible as even Bruno looks exhausted and slow at the end of each game, and he's not a gut who gets tired easily.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

This chart makes me nervous. Our first half was actually really good considering we didn't play good football. We had some proper chances and basically restricted Fulham to having the ball in the middle. The second half is a different story, we stopped created anything and gave Fulham far too much space and time what resulted in some a couple of decent chances a number of smaller chances.
Now the question is, if this game was continued for another 90', I am not sure if I would fancy us getting a result.

I don't know what changed exactly, the easiest explanation is we are really tired and the team runs out of has very quickly. This seems possible as even Bruno looks exhausted and slow at the end of each game, and he's not a gut who gets tired easily.
That graph confirms exactly what I’m saying. We were on top for the first half. They got on top for the first 30-35 minutes after half time but we finished the game as the dominant team again. A period of dominance that began with Garnacho coming off the bench and ended with his goal. This included a potential penalty and McT missing an absolute sitter, while Fulham created nothing of note.

No idea why you think the team that started and finished strongest, while creating more/better chances overall somehow didn’t deserve the win, or the game would have had a different outcome if it went on any longer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That graph confirms exactly what I’m saying. We were on top for the first half. They got back on top for the first half hour after half time but we finished the game on top. A period of dominance that began with with Garnacho coming off the bench and ended with his goal. This included a potential penalty and McT missing an absolute sitter, while Fulham created nothing of note.

No idea why you think the team that started and finished strongest, while creating more/better chances overall somehow didn’t deserve the win, or the game would have had a different outcome if it went on any longer.
No, I never said that, I think you confused me with someone else. I always admitted we were the better team no doubt. I just explained why some people have a perception we were dominated and this graphic as you said represents the game very well.

Hughie77

Erikesn pass was on the money, such a clever footballer, Garnacho playing training with first team will improve him, must win game this was .

SuperiorXI

We were poor for large parts of the match, they had a few really good chances. Smash and grab job that one, but I'll take it. Need to regroup over the break and get some form going. Hopefully Varane can come back in after the break uninjured. Also we miss Antony.

Maticmaker

Some re-assuring spectacular saves from DeGea which kept us in the game (where have we heard that before?).

There was a period where we created and spurned chance after chance, e.g. what was that 'pass back' to their keeper from Rashford, from that range he should have blasted ball and keeper into the net.
Martial wrong-footed himself twice and failed to score and with a decent header could have had a hat-trick.
A well taken goal from Eriksen, but then he missed what looked to be an easier chance!
Fulham toiled well and were dominant for larger parts of the second half.
Then when we thought it was all gone, enter stage left Alejandro Garnacho and the perfect ending... and he's not even in the Argentine squad

largelyworried

In the PL its entirely normal for both teams to have spells where they're on top, I don't see this as a problem. Fulham are a solid mid-table team and we were playing them away, we were never going to dominate the general flow of the game for the whole 90 minutes. I do think we gave up a few too many clear cut opportunities when they were on top, and of course our finishing was fairly poor. But I'm not worried about the general pattern of play. Sometimes in football you get forced back and have to defend your penalty area for a bit, I would only be worried if they did it for most of the game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In the PL its entirely normal for both teams to have spells where they're on top, I don't see this as a problem. Fulham are a solid mid-table team and we were playing them away, we were never going to dominate the general flow of the game for the whole 90 minutes. I do think we gave up a few too many clear cut opportunities when they were on top, and of course our finishing was fairly poor. But I'm not worried about the general pattern of play. Sometimes in football you get forced back and have to defend your penalty area for a bit, I would only be worried if they did it for most of the game.
Yeah tbh you see that in other games as well, every team looks tired and there's a lot of space on the pitch to exploit, especially in the second half. That makes squad management even more important this season. Sadly because of how thin our attacking formation is, we don't have many options there. We do have options in midfield though.

lex talionis

Poor performance if we're being honest. Saved by a player that is clearly going to be a bit special.

Just hope all this arrogance they talk about is the good Ronaldo / Zlatan type and not the bad Ravel / Lingard type.
But if we’re actually going to be honest, would we not also acknowledge outstanding performances by De Gea and Garnacho? Those performances are just as relevant as those by Elanga and Rashford, who were poor.

The match-winner was not gifted by the referee or some freak deflection. It was fully earned.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Seeing that football games rarely crosses 100 mins in total including injury time, I don’t think this is a valid concern.

DSG

Ten Hag literally brought Garnacho on. Do you realise how stupid your last two sentences are?
Ten Hag makes all the decisions. When we win or play well, we give him credit, deservedly so. When we play poorly and lose, he should get criticism and deservedly so. I’ve been very supportive of Ten Hag because he’s been successful at improving the squad performances. There are certain mouth breathers who think that ANY criticism of Ten Hag is unfair. That’s ridiculous, and I believe he would say the same as well. He has said in his pressers, MANY TIMES, “we have a lot of areas we can improve.”

I’ll tell you this — we need to start taking our chances in front of goal. We have a chance to make top 4 and maybe win a trophy.

we’ve scored 18 goals, which is 12th in the league. We’re 10th in xG. We are 8th in shots. We’ve missed quite a few chances by the eye test. Things are improving, but we haven’t really solved the attacking 3rd yet, and I think we should all be a bit concerned at the progression this area. I’m sure Ten Hag is, and it would be stupid to rely on an 18 year old with 307 first team minutes as our main attacking threat when our very expensive forward line isn’t scoring goals.

So, I would say your position is a bit more “stupid” than mine, wouldn’t you?

Nick7

Ten Hag makes all the decisions. When we win or play well, we give him credit, deservedly so. When we play poorly and lose, he should get criticism and deservedly so. I’ve been very supportive of Ten Hag because he’s been successful at improving the squad performances. There are certain mouth breathers who think that ANY criticism of Ten Hag is unfair. That’s ridiculous, and I believe he would say the same as well. He has said in his pressers, MANY TIMES, “we have a lot of areas we can improve.”

I’ll tell you this — we need to start taking our chances in front of goal. We have a chance to make top 4 and maybe win a trophy.

we’ve scored 18 goals, which is 12th in the league. We’re 10th in xG. We are 8th in shots. We’ve missed quite a few chances by the eye test. Things are improving, but we haven’t really solved the attacking 3rd yet, and I think we should all be a bit concerned at the progression this area. I’m sure Ten Hag is, and it would be stupid to rely on an 18 year old with 307 first team minutes as our main attacking threat when our very expensive forward line isn’t scoring goals.

You said Ten Hag is out of ideas and answers, he brought Garnacho on who scored the winner. That doesn’t scream out of ideas or answers. In fact none of this post even relates to what you said in the last two sentences of your original post.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Wacthed Garnacho’s goal again and I think the build up of it has kind of disappeared in the Ronaldo crap, but it’s really amazing.

Shaw and Martinez plays the ball between them despite being heavily pressured before finding Casemiro. Eriksen is seeking up open space from which he can operate — if Casemiro gets the ball, before he gets it. When Fulham leaves an open lane up from the back 4, it’s just to execute, Shaw to Casemiro to Eriksen to Garnacho, bang bang bang.

Garnacho is really licking the line. That is what ETH really wants, and it’s the opposite of what many other does with the wingers taking centralized runs and the wing backs overlapping outside them. This is done to enable us to get another passing option early in the build up phase.

McTominay takes a really good run at the center of the field, if he doesn’t do that, the goal isn’t scored.

Then Eriksen’s pass is low key brilliant and the rest is history.

But it’s really a goal the perfectly mirrors how we want to play.

Shimo

Think it was the Villa game where ETH pointed out that we were not playing the ball in behind quick enough or it was another very recent game. Yesterday, Fulham with their high line that option was there again and we started the game well enough trying to exploit that and could have even got in with a couple better touches. Problem arose in that is all we seemed to try, there wasn't recognition that we were losing control of the game and no one took charge to say, lets get a hold of the game.

Definitely had some great chances to be up a couple goals if not 3 at the half but, wasted them. It gave Fulham the confidence to come at us in the second half. Bruno instead keeps the ball in a way the defender goes by him and he is attacking the Fulham goal but, in hindsight a bad decision as we had zero cover on that side after the big switch in play - thats the bad that comes with Bruno at times we all have to accept when he tries things.

Elanga really has dropped off, he has shown bursts at times like against Liverpool at least he was attacking his fullback but, in the recent chances he has shown nothing. But, I think it was the right call from ETH considering our options. In theory with Malacia playing out of position, would be better cover and Garnacho off the bench would have been a brighter spark, which turned out to be just that in the end.

Watching the game, I kept pointing out out the difference Martial compared to Ronaldo or Rashford as a CF. He missed his chances but, shows how much we need him or another CF that plays the role like him. Hopefully he stays fit and also in January we bring in one more option. Having Rashford, Martial, Antony on the pitch along with Garnacho, Sancho and another CF will make a huge difference for the remain 24 games.

Thiagoal

I didn’t realise it at the time but Garnacho’s winner was actually a really well worked team goal. Started with some great composure between Shaw and Martinez. Worked wide to Eriksen and then the rest is glorious history!!

DSG

You said Ten Hag is out of ideas and answers, he brought Garnacho on who scored the winner. That doesn’t scream out of ideas or answers. In fact none of this post even relates to what you said in the last two sentences of your original post.
Stop trolling / wumming. You’re being obtuse. If you think EtH was delighted with the lack of finishing and expected to be 1-1 and bringing in Garnacho to score the winner 2 minutes into injury time, you’re mad. He’s got 3 20+ goal scorers in attack (Martial, Rashford, Bruno). He had one single attacker on the bench. Garnacho was his only alternative.

The spirit, confidence and mentality has all improved. We are much more organized defensively, and he’s turned Dalot into a great RB. The lack of finishing continues to be an issue. To say it’s not is myopic.

Nick7

Stop trolling / wumming. You’re being obtuse. If you think EtH was delighted with the lack of finishing and expected to be 1-1 and bringing in Garnacho to score the winner 2 minutes into injury time, you’re mad. He’s got 3 20+ goal scorers in attack (Martial, Rashford, Bruno). He had one single attacker on the bench. Garnacho was his only alternative.

The spirit, confidence and mentality has all improved. We are much more organized defensively, and he’s turned Dalot into a great RB. The lack of finishing continues to be an issue. To say it’s not is myopic.
Again, this has nothing to do with the part of your post I called out.

DSG

Again, this has nothing to do with the part of your post I called out.
It’s clear from your activity you have an agenda and you’re a practitioner of annoying one-liners when people are just trying to discuss a game in a reasonable, rational manner. Enjoy the wumming! :rolleyes:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Wacthed Garnacho’s goal again and I think the build up of it has kind of disappeared in the Ronaldo crap, but it’s really amazing.

Shaw and Martinez plays the ball between them despite being heavily pressured before finding Casemiro. Eriksen is seeking up open space from which he can operate — if Casemiro gets the ball, before he gets it. When Fulham leaves an open lane up from the back 4, it’s just to execute, Shaw to Casemiro to Eriksen to Garnacho, bang bang bang.

Garnacho is really licking the line. That is what ETH really wants, and it’s the opposite of what many other does with the wingers taking centralized runs and the wing backs overlapping outside them. This is done to enable us to get another passing option early in the build up phase.

McTominay takes a really good run at the center of the field, if he doesn’t do that, the goal isn’t scored.

Well explained—made me look again

BorisManUtd

Well said. Build up was great and showed determination to actually try and go for it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't know if it's a good thing, but Fulham didn't exactly trying to close the shop (by wasting time or park the bus) and satisfied with 1 point there. Otherwise there wouldn't be that big gap for Eriksen to run into.

Fabio Rochemback

We looked second best for large parts of the game against a team who's star player is Andreas fecking Pereira :lol:

Still, Viva Garnacho!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Long story. Goes back to the abuse Utd players suffered from England fans, Beckham especially. Siege mentality. Good article on it in Athletic recently.
I remember being annoyed at Beckham when he became England captain and the same England fans who were mocking him and constantly hating on United became his adoring fans, and he seemed to be lapping it all up. One of the big reasons I wasn't that upset at him leaving.

One thing about growing up a United fan in the 90s, you got used to seeing big players leaving that you almost accept that sometimes it had to be done for the greater good. I suppose I'm mentioning this amidst all this noise about Ronaldo.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 292 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Fulham 0:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Fulham 1:2 Man Utd