FA W FA Cup Quarter-Final

Manchester United 3:1 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 March 2023

Manncunian

Nah nah it is. I'm just looking at the performance as a whole. We needed two red cards to beat Fulham.
Did we?

Shouldn’t Sancho’s shot, saved by the hand of Willian, have been a goal? So 1-1 with 11 v 11. Antony had started to change the game and we could have gone on to win.

People need to get some perspective here.

sparx99

Need a few players to tactically withdrew from international. Our schedule has been nuts and we need some rest.

Ceteris

Our summer transfer window has to be astronomical, absolutely no creativity in our squad players in the middle of the park

Bertie Wooster

Phew! :D

I was a little worried when I saw the teams - especially our 4th and 5th choice CM's up against Palhinha. So wasn't surprised to see us struggle for the first 70 minutes.

But part of becoming a trophy winning team is developing that winning mentality and being able to get important victories when not at your best. And that was certainly the case today. Not a great performance, but understandable with injuries, suspensions and fatigue taking their toll. But the important thing is we once again found a way to win when not at our best and missing key players.

Hopefully, after the international break, we'll start getting some of our players back, others will be a little fresher, and we'll start putting in some stronger performances again. The important thing today was just getting over the line in the last game of a run of such a packed schedule. So job done.

Jeffthered

Good win and another trip to Wembley but let’s be honest, that was a poor performance following a string of recent poor performances. We really need to up our game if we are to win any of the remaining cups we’re in.
This is the thing for me.... we're struggling a bit, and it's a little concerning.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Did we?

Shouldn’t Sancho’s shot, saved by the hand of Willian, have been a goal? So 1-1 with 11 v 11. Antony had started to change the game and we could have gone on to win.

Perspective? Here? Are you some kind of alien time traveller?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nah nah it is. I'm just looking at the performance as a whole. We needed two red cards to beat Fulham.
If matey hadn't handled it, the ball goes in and we're right back in it. Plus we had a while left to go anyway.
So I wouldn't rule out that we'd have got back in it.

It's just that it turned out utterly ridiculously easy in the end.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Another poor performance, but we got out of jail thanks to a totally insane meltdown by Fulham. How have we so many players who can't complete simple passes? And the pointless flicks which always end up giving away possession will be the death of me. Or my TV at least. Fully expect a few 'muscle strains' being declared overnight as we are in serious need of a rest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did we?

Spot on.
We need to remember their implosion was caused by an incident which should / would have equalised the game.
And then it's even and who knows how the last 20-25 go.

Tincanalley

The place we had the problems today was midfield. We were completely overrun. McTominay was a 3. Rashford also a 3 for the first half. Wasn't clicking in any sense. Fulham were good, but there was a strange lack of intensity about all of it. Indeed I have seen a few other games lately (not United games) where it was as if both sides decided to slow it down. As if hungover. World Cup, too many games, cold miserable day, not motivated. This is a very dangerous kind of virus to creep into a team. It is a symptom of insufficient squad depth to cope with the demands. Money doped clubs are of course (more) immune to this.

Cloud7

Didn't get to watch the match, thankful for the videos posted here. Crazy scenes from Fulham. Obvious handball from Willian, but Mitrovic pushing the referee like that is crazy. Glad to see that the ref didn't hold back from making the correct calls on both counts.

Tincanalley

There was a lot of pressure on Bruno to net the peno after their meltdown. He had to wait ages and did brilliantly. That whole debacle will impact badly on Fulhams season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Quite happy if McTominay never plays for us ever again. Sabitzer and Fred v barcodes please ETH.
I'd play Eriksen with them as well and bench Weghorst. Hit them on the break.

glasgow 21

This is the thing for me.... we're struggling a bit, and it's a little concerning.
Marcus is injured folks there is definitely enough times he isn't going into 50/50 so he is caring for the ankle. So in my opinion he gets a pass until he feels he is back on it. What was clear again ITV replay zoomed in, on purpose, to not show the Fulham player running his studs down on to Marcus's foot. That to me is worrying when the TV as in the Grealish v Burn incident done the same to not show Grealish kicking out. It was also a shitshow from the commentators who were heartbroken that fulham imploded and had the anti united theme any time one of our players may or may not have left a bit on a fulham other player after which there's a highlighted debate. Glad we are through one game at a time. One downer is please, please, please stop playing McTominay he is nowhere near it. He doesn't break their play up and does nothing to get us up the pitch.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
46 games in the amount of time there has a tally been for games is ridiculous. We would have effectively played almost a seasons worth of games by the first week of Feb in any normal season. Madness.

Break has come at just at the right time.

pogbasformerbarber

Did we?

some people just like to moan…

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Our summer transfer window has to be astronomical, absolutely no creativity in our squad players in the middle of the park
Don't forget we were missing our 2 best central midfielders in Erikson and Casemiro.

SirScholes

It doesn’t need to be that crazy ffs
Our 2 starting midfielders are injured, we are relying on 2 loan players

swap Weghorst for a good striker and sign a proper cm to compete for 1st team spot and we look solid

Tiber

Wout runs around a lot. But hard to see how we push across the league and the final stages of two cups with such a non existent goal threat upfront week after week.

TheReligion

Abusive
Worrying performance tbh. Looked dead on our feet and our age old issue of being unable to play through the middle without Eriksen or Casemiro continues.

Worrying times for the games after break.
We are in another semi final mate.

Worried I am not.

Ceteris

swap Weghorst for a good striker and sign a proper cm to compete for 1st team spot and we look solid
Maybe me saying squad players is a bit confusing

What I meant was after Casemiro and Eriksen the drop off in creativity is massive

This needs sorting out in the summer, we can't count on Scott or Fred for creativity and Sab is a loan player

Gstyle

Very lucky, if we play like that against brighton, we wont see the final, our second string is S*** !!

MonkeysMagic

Our passing has been steadily declining and appears to have fallen off a cliff lately!

When the team us constantly giving the ball away, having to put the additional effort to win it back is where the players exert themselves. I dont see how these players are going to get this back so I'm afraid the quality of games is going to deteriorate and then it comes to those one-off moments in the game that either go your way or the opposition.

Marwood

Our two starting midfielders are the wrong side of 30 though. Very risky without any decent backup.

I think we need to be incredible this summer to compete for a title.

SirScholes

Maybe me saying squad players is a bit confusing

What I meant was after Casemiro and Eriksen the drop off in creativity is massive

This needs sorting out in the summer, we can't count on Scott or Fred for creativity and Sab is a loan player
Agreed but someone asked me on here a while back and it was a good point

name any club apart from City that have better options on their bench

RedDevilQuebecois

So weird of a match that was.

I railed against McTominay, Maguire, and Sancho with good reason for chunks of the match. But it wasn't for Sancho missing that golden opportunity after he ran around the Fulham goalkeeper, we would not have seen what has to be the biggest feck-up I have seen in a long time. The handball foul and the penalty were worth one legit red card, but I'm still :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at Fulham for turning one red card into 3 red cards. LOLCOW OF THE DECADE!! I will take the W any day of the week, especially after how many matches we played in recent weeks. UrinatingTree's laugh sums it all for me about Fulham on that incident.

Really happy for Sabitzer after that winning goal. He deserves all of it for his hard work alongside a midfield black hole (McTominay).

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 50% of 283 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 246 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw