PL W FA Premier League

Leeds United 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 12 February 2023

Galactico

Whatever people may think of Maguire’s performance, he spoke like a captain in the post-match interview and I have to give him credit for how he has conducted himself.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Moving Shaw to the left and Rashford up top (where they belong) is what gave the win.

Awful game. Good win.

Yakuza_devils

What a win but it was a boring game until our first goal. We played almost 50% of the game passing around between 2 CB.

Weghorst, Sabizter and Sancho played well.

MOTM - Shaw or Rashford.

Savlehest

Nice comeback from Fred. The worst last time and definitely one of the best in this.
Martinez is just pure class, love how he controls the lines, calm the players and do all the right things.

Weghorst got a horrible game up to the subs. After that, he didn’t put a foot wrong. Took the ball, passed it nicely and made the run. Really interesting position for him.

okay game, but should be better

Coops73

The media is always negative towards us, nothing about a good win against a tough team with all the history that goes with this fixture but trying to draw out Maguire to get a headline. Sky feck me off, it’s embarrassing, should just wheel out Merson for an opinion while they’re at it.

wasn’t the greatest performance but it is what it is, great result against them fecking scum cnuts. Hate em

Hampshire Rec

Great result, and 2nd even if only for 2 hours!!
we did not play well but ground it out and the subs were the key to winning it
was very surprised all 22 were still on the pitch at the end of the game

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Goals change games, I see the importance of Martinez, but if Rashy doesn't get that goal, Martinez would have just helped us keep a clean sheet, maybe.
True. But he was easily my MotM. Oozed class and bite.

EliotTheRed

Great result!
Leeds full of desire and running in a first half with no clear cut chances aside from Bruno’s shot towards the end of the half.

Fred was good, I really like Sabitzer - great ball to Shaw for the first goal.
Garnacho, well, what a gem we have on our hands!

Good to see Sancho back amongst it, a clean sheet despite Maguire trying his best not to.

Somehow, we’re up to second! Get in!!

moodyred

ETH changed the game with the Martinez sub. We looked so much more composed and able to put patterns of play together. Up until that point we were playing like a mid-lower table side, really poor.
Yah. The substitutes really changed the game. But we could also have been so easily a few goals down and left changing. At the end of the day, I'll take the win. What a way to end my Sunday.

Wicked_Badger

Taking everything into consideration, the fixture pile-up, the injuries & suspensions, fatigue, slight faltering of form and playing a rival home & away with the new manager bounce, I would've taken 4 points from these 2 games. Would have expected to have earned them the other way around but it doesn't matter.

Especially pleasing given how other scores have gone this weekend so far. Fingers crossed for a result for Villa later.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Whatever people may think of Maguire’s performance, he spoke like a captain in the post-match interview and I have to give him credit for how he has conducted himself.
He wasn't going to say any different was he? He must have rehearsed that for days.

laughtersassassin

Time for Rashford to be our striker going forward.

Wouts too poor and Martial is always injured.

Antony Garnacho and Sancho can fight it out for the wing spots

Gavinb33

He did OK to be honest, a lot of the errors were due to having constantly playing 50/60 yard passes getting them right 100% of the time is impossible.

Still had a brain fart for letting Harrison come in on and still is predictable when turning away with the ball and is easy to read.

I thought he handled that interview well that lady was pushing to say something and he just said it's a team game and the team are winning and if he gets in he'll do his best, not sure what anyone wanted him to say really

tjb

Neither Casemiro or Eriksen out isn't the issue. The issue we've had in these 2 games vs leeds is moreso the ineffectiveness of Fred's positioning and defensive capabilities. They easily won the midfield battle again.

ETH tried to change things up against Leeds' aggressive press by using Malacia. He thought that Malacia coming into midfield to create more of a box would help our cause in getting the ball through the middle. Unfortunately, even with that advantage this didn't work at all due to how poor the positioning was in midfield today. To make matters worse, Malacia coming in centrally meant that we couldn't move the ball through the flanks like we did on wednesday, completely knocking Sancho and Rashford out of the game.

Another reason the system didn't work today was Maguire. As stated before, Leeds were playing an aggressive front 3. In order to get past them, we needed to move the ball quickly. Even if that meant playing it more directly, this still needed to occur. Maguire was taking far too much time on the ball. A lot of time which he was doing absolutely nothing with. He was creating the tension that forced multiple giveaways defensively. He also had a lot of mistakes passing the ball as well. Particularly as he was the centre of the 3 when playing out, his play on the ball really affected our composure today. Martinez coming in provided a proper outlet out of the back with composure. What's worse imo is this was not due to not having passing options, Maguire doesn't like making that pass into the middle and it showed today. Even when Sabitzer dropped deeper on his right side, his need to shift the ball left consistently narrowed the pitch for us. This was always going to be a difficult game without Casemiro or Eriksen, but it would have been far more comfortable without Maguire

Dike_Manc

They played a mid block with everyone behind the ball. Ten Hag played it brilliantly, we passed it around the back four, then waited for them to tire and then we attacked them for the last quarter. Could have been 0-4 by the end.

We found the solutions today.
Can't argue with that and I loved how Ten Hag tweaked it by dropping W.W deeper, gave them a different kind of problem to solve.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
4 points off Leeds in the same number of days is a decent return, particularly after the dropped points at OT.

Showed good resolve and took advantage of Leeds' energy dropping. Great for Garnacho to score after ridiculous criticism midweek. Top 4 a little closer to being guaranteed this weekend.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
He’s still standing after everything he’s been through. Incredibly tough for him, give him credit for that. Hopefully he’ll get better soon, he’s way too unpredictable.

Irwin99

For 60 minutes that was a very tough match to watch. Felt like we were second to everything.

Don't know how Fred isn't man of the match on here. Yes we really struggled against the press but his workrate was phenomenal. Wout too deserves a shout for the same reason (good assist as well)

The team lacks a lot of creativity with Eriksen out.

moodyred

Maguire's passing was atrocious but his defending very good
His defending wouldn't have been required in a number of situations if not for his passing. He also almost gave away a penalty. I rather not have him in the team. Way too nervy.

Dobba

That's a win that under Fergie we're waxing lyrical about it being evidence of the character of champions. Play shit score two goals (if VAR doesn't cack itself it's at least three) and keep a clean sheet.

Another few points added to the top 4 buffer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not a good performance but fantastic result and a testament to the spirit of this team

feck off Leeds and their passhun (thuggery)

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Feel like an in form Leicester next weekend will be way harder

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw