PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 January 2015

Walters_19_MuFc

Won the game in the first half. Moved the ball at a quick speed, stretched play, with Januzaj drifting out wide, which freed up more room for Di Maria in the middle, created chances and scored goals.

Second half we killed the game. We still created a few chances, but you can tell we took our foot off the pedal a bit. I guess that was to be expected. We still kept the ball well, though.

Overall, a good solid game.

Kag

So many complaining before kick off about the line up but I was like the game isn't played on paper, not bad eh?

Go ahead by two goals, keep the ball, job done.
The complaints were justified. We'll get minced if we line up like that against better sides and watching Rooney in midfield was painful.

We won today because we had much better players, but the wider selection issues aren't going away and the result doesn't change that.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Disappointing second half, from an entertainment perspective. We could have gone on to score a few more, but didn't really push on. It was an economical 2nd half performance, but Leicester were pretty awful and were there for the taking. It could have been a decent boost of confidence if some players grabbed themselves a goal.

Daley Blind is great to watch. Two assists (do they count if it assists an own goal?) and generally solid all-round.

Shame we couldn't get a clean sheet. Soft goal. Looked like 3 men marking one player, and the ball sailed over the lot of them.

How long will Van Gaal persist with Rooney in midfield?

Nik70

Good dominating performance. Once we went ahead the result was never really in doubt although there were a couple of nervy moments after Leicester scored. We closed the game out well with retention of possession.

I thought Di Maria was outstanding in terms of taking people on and creating chances. He is such a dangerous player when he runs at people from the midfield. Januzaj and Blind also impressed. Rooney once again gave the ball away a little too much for my liking. Nice strike from RVP and happy for Falcao that he got one too.

Kag

I'm glad Van Gaal looks to have dropped the 352. Progress on the formation front, now it's time to drop a striker and let the likes of Di Maria and Januzaj run riot.

itso 7

Good win but we could and should have scored more. Still a win is a win and the performance in the first half was very good.

Cmz'

Happy with that today thought we very good, still need to improve our final ball though, too many times we get into good positions and just either overhit the pass, don't play the pass or make the wrong decision in who to pass it too, but otherwise pleased with that, Falcao and RvP on the scoresheet, Blind and Rojo excellent, di Maria & Januzaj v good and we scored (ish) from a corner, good game!

Nik70

The complaints were justified. We'll get minced if we line up like that against better sides and watching Rooney in midfield was painful.

We won today because we had much better players, but the wider selection issues aren't going away and the result doesn't change that.
Well to be fair we didn't play a 'better side' did we. We played Leicester who you knew would pack it in and try to get a draw. I thought it was a bold selection by LVG and the performance and result justified it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We look like we're back on track. Leicester only came back into it because we eased up around the hour mark. Understandable since the game was won and we have a game midweek. Not everyone performed brilliantly but the sum was greater than the parts. When we were really going at it we looked threatening and there was control and speed in our passing. Had we played like this against Villa and Stoke we'd be a point off City. At least playing like this we should guarantee ourselves a Champions league spot. Still, I'd have loved to have challenged for the title.

Empire

We did lose the ball and they did score, we were in complete control before the subs and formation change.
They didn't score the 3 needed to take points, this is all about results not performances anyway. I don't care how we get top four just as long as we get it, considering the results of late, I'd take this and the way we did it.

Also I think 71% possession is fine, we got two goals ahead and kept the ball, the opposition were never going to get back into it if we did that well enough.

I'm satisfied with any victory by two goals in a premier league match, get ahead by that and keep the ball, you're almost guaranteed the three points.

Ole240599

Good - Rojo, Blind (mom), Falcoa Januzaj
Poor - Jones, Valencia
Terrible - Rooney (that was very painful to watch)

Smores

The only complaint is we should have gone for more but that in itself says a lot. Twas a good performance and wasn't like watching paint dry.

Let's hope LvG keeps us in this formation and doesn't csck his pants and revert to boring boring 532

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Something to build on definietely. Blind is majestic midfielder when used correctly. Rojo, Valencia and Shaw were good defensively, Jones was ok but had a few mistakes I thought. Both Shaw and Valencia offered very little offensively, must improve in that area (although I lost any hope in Tony). Di Maria much better, still has to improve, his finishing is abysmal (for an attacking player). Rooney feels uncomfortable in midfield I think, it doesn't work so well if he's having an off day with his long-range passing like today. RvP was poor, takes too much time on the ball, but had a few moments of genius. Falcao worked a lot, good game I thought. The same can be said about Januzaj, looked comfortable on the left.

A couple of lucky goals, but we could've scored a few more.

Kag

Well to be fair we didn't play a 'better side' did we. We played Leicester who you knew would pack it in and try to get a draw. I thought it was a bold selection by LVG and the performance and result justified it.
No, we just played the worst side in the division at home. With the players we have at our disposal anything other than this kind of win would be disappointing.

The result doesn't justify what Van Gaal is doing to Rooney, no.

Woodenlung

Don't think we were that good tbh.

Played with more purpose but still looked laboured for the first 20 minutes. Leicester were beaten before the game even started.

fallengt

Disappointing 2nd half, most of our passes in the final third were still a bit sloppy, should be more precise.
Not a great performance as we expected from this team but hey, we didn't start with the 3-5-2.I' take that as a huge improvement, Rooney still a shite MF though.

Empire

Louis van Gaal needed to select a line up for Leicester and he did that. You are talking about matches in the future, he is focused only on this match, I do not agree with your philosophy of looking ahead into future games and not focusing only on this.

There was nothing wrong with the selection, the complaints were unnecessary, we did what needed to be done and comfortably too.

DevilRed

Easy three points and the game was over at the half. Nice to see us play with width and pace. We weren't at our best by any stretch of the imagination which makes it all the more impressive.

We should be putting away most teams at Old Trafford in similar fashion.

Now lets see if LVG will come up with something more defensively sound for the trip to west ham.

legball

Di Maria was good with his runs but his passing and final ball was frustrating, he miss placed almost every key pass. Rooney in CM was poor, he's fine when it comes to the hollywood pass, but when we need a quick short passing game and he looks lost, I wish LVG would stop playing him there. And why do we give away cheap goals like we did today? Apart from that, it was a fine performance, especially in the first half, we could have scored more.

stu_1992

Really good first half. Disappointingly, albeit understandably, we didn't play with such an intensity in the second half. Annoying that we conceded though. Blind was MotM. Van Persie was good, Di Maria looked better than he has recently I thought. Rooney as many others have pointed out was disappointing more often than he did something good today, though he did still have the odd bit of quality.

Kag

Louis van Gaal needed to select a line up for Leicester and he did that. You are talking about matches in the future, he is focused only on this match, I do not agree with your philosophy of looking ahead into future games and not focusing only on this.

There was nothing wrong with the selection, the complaints were unnecessary, we did what needed to be done and comfortably too.
And you don't think his selections today are indicative of a wider belief that he must play as many of his superstars in one team as possible? Because that's what he's doing.

In the process we're destroying one of the world's best strikers and hindering the team as a result. We've also got two better central midfielders sat on the bench.

But we beat the worst side in the league at home, so all is well. Well in Louis.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Leicester came in with far too much bravado in hindsight. Pearson got it wrong. This could have been awkward but alas. Leicester gave us all the time in the world on the ball and made us look good. I sound a bit ambivalent I know, just some perspective.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Good performance but we've been good at home in general.

Can we repeat a display like this away from home. That's the question.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
One thing that was actually quite pleasing and noticeably different from other games is that we decided to have other players actually in midfield next to Blind instead of him having 20-30 yards all to himself. Rooney played like a midfielder, even if he wasn't great. Made it much easier to dominate the game.

Nik70

No, we just played the worst side in the division at home. With the players we have at our disposal anything other than this kind of win would be disappointing.

The result doesn't justify what Van Gaal is doing to Rooney, no.
I agree that Rooney should be playing up front. The overall selection of the team though was an attacking one which was needed today. If we played a top team like Chelsea or City I wouldn't expect to see this type of lineup.

It's interesting that, for all the fuss about the 3-5-2, when LVG finally switches to a back 4 fans are still complaining.

RedOldBoy

I believe the Cambridge game had some bearing on the second half. I think we went down a gear.
Adnan looked better, Blind was probably motm. Di Maria was busy but sometimes his final pass or judgement is frustrating for one so talented.

Kag

I agree that Rooney should be playing up front. The overall selection of the team though was an attacking one which was needed today. If we played a top team like Chelsea or City I wouldn't expect to see this type of lineup.

It's interesting that, for all the fuss about the 3-5-2, when LVG finally switches to a back 4 fans are still complaining.
But people aren't complaining about the change of formation. I've praised Van Gaal for it further above. But issues are still present and if he isn't going to drop a striker and shift Rooney now, then when? Because if the penny finally drops after we've been dicked on through March and April then that's going to be far too late.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Happy to see Blind and to some extent Rojo, growing their reputation.

In all honesty though, we should've taken advantage to pad our goal difference.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good win.

Still think the line-up was a bit mental though.

Nik70

But people aren't complaining about the change of formation. I've praised Van Gaal for it further above. But issues are still present and if he isn't going to drop a striker and shift Rooney now, then when? Because if the penny finally drops after we've been dicked on through March and April then that's going to be far too late.
Fair point. Like I said I agree regarding your point about Rooney. I think the dilemma that LVG faces is how to fit all those attacking players into the team. Not an easy task. Rooney is the one player that can drop back into midfield, however, he has a habit of giving the ball away with sloppy passes which can be infuriating.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Jones was fine.
His three brain farts from simply not looking or not being aware of those around him was incredibly annoying, went twice for headers and clattered our players in trying to go for them and his backpass to de gea would have been punished had it not fallen to David Nugent.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We need a defender who dominates in the air. Almost every match now teams have worked out that they can play direct towards a target man and create chances against us. Rojo looks tough, but he can't consistently deal with what should be simple balls in the air against a big opponent.

Jones was fine.
Except for the monumental feck up that would have cost us a goal had we been playing anyone other than Leicester. As a centre back thats a pretty big deal.

And challenging his own teammates for headers.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Great to get 3points in the bag and some confidence.

Wether a performance like today is good enough against a team with a bit more ambition than Leicester is probably for another thread.

Let's keep it up against Cambridge! :)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
His three brain farts from simply not looking or not being aware of those around him was incredibly annoying, went twice for headers and clattered our players in trying to go for them and his backpass to de gea would have been punished had it not fallen to David Nugent.
Doesn't make his performance for the other 89:40 minutes bad. Communication is a problem at the back like so often (probably because Rojo doesn't speak the language and McNair and Valencia don't look like they speak at all). The poor backpass was...poor. It was.

Kag

Fair point. Like I said I agree regarding your point about Rooney. I think the dilemma that LVG faces is how to fit all those attacking players into the team. Not an easy task. Rooney is the one player that can drop back into midfield, however, he has a habit of giving the ball away with sloppy passes which can be infuriating.
I agree. It won't be an easy decision, no, but I fear he'll be heading the same way as his predecessor if he doesn't do something soon. I'm aware I'm being a little negative considering we've got a great three points on the board, but a home win against Leicester just doesn't fill me with the necessary confidence.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 492 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 3:0 Leicester
  • 19% Man Utd 2:0 Leicester