PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 January 2015

Mister Ed

People just like to moan. Oh noes a 3-1 win. It should have been 7-1.

God knows what they'd say if we had of drawn or lost.
I'd rather have seen a 1-0 if the performance had been beter

Goals come and sometimes they don't come. Today they came out of nowhere for us and got us the 3 points before the match even begon but there will be plenty of other games were the goals wont just drop out of nowhere for us and than we will need to start playing way beter than we did today to get a result !

You can play poor, be lucky and score 2 or 3 goals but it is not going to be like that in other games at all !

Gannicus

Yes, we deserved the win and right now it's all about getting wins.

But it was another underwhelming performance, which we can get away with against the 20th place club in the league but will see us slaughtered against the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool, whom we need to beat to keep them off our backs.

A proper linesman would have seen RvP offside and the own goal was completely unforced. We barely created any other chances. A bit of luck saw us pull away from 1-1 draw, though it's true Leicester City park the bus and didn't come to OT to win the game.

A win is a win but O Zeus! we need to play much better football if we hope to claw out that fourth place spot at the end of May.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes, we deserved the win and right now it's all about getting wins.

But it was another underwhelming performance, which we can get away with against the 20th place club in the league but will see us slaughtered against the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool, whom we need to beat to keep them off our backs.

A proper linesman would have seen RvP offside and the own goal was completely unforced. We barely created any other chances. A bit of luck saw us pull away from 1-1 draw, though it's true Leicester City park the bus and didn't come to OT to win the game.

A win is a win but O Zeus! we need to play much better football if we hope to claw out that fourth place spot at the end of May.
We had 5 shots on and 4 shots off. Not overwhelming against a poor side. It was a good win, but the 2nd half fizzled out. Even the manager said they didn't create enough after half time. There again, he didn't do anything to improve things.

siw2007

Might not have been a great performance but it was a 'good' display from the boys with a slightly disappointing ending. I felt we controlled the game from start to finish and deserved to win and it was a poor goal to concede at the end. Daley Blind was fantastic throughout the game, he broke up Leicester's few attacks and played the ball well as well as playing a good ball to Van Persie for the first and being involved with the third. They might complain about the first goal being offside but after the crap they got away with in the reverse fixture I don't care one bit. Much improved displays from Falcao and Januzaj too!!

Good work United and hope for a good result midweek!!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd rather have seen a 1-0 if the performance had been beter

Goals come and sometimes they don't come. Today they came out of nowhere for us and got us the 3 points before the match even begon but there will be plenty of other games were the goals wont just drop out of nowhere for us and than we will need to start playing way beter than we did today to get a result !

You can play poor, be lucky and score 2 or 3 goals but it is not going to be like that in other games at all !
I don't think we were poor, but we weren't great either. I don't agree that the goals came out of nowhere though, we created a decent amount of really good chances but just some bad decision making at vital time. Leicester made it easy for us though, we clearly had another few levels in us if we wanted/needed to. My issue is that the second half we could have pushed more to score more goals, but the game was won.

DomesticTadpole

I don't think we were poor, but we weren't great either. I don't agree that the goals came out of nowhere though, we created a decent amount of really good chances but just some bad decision making at vital time. Leicester made it easy for us though, we clearly had another few levels in us if we wanted/needed to. My issue is that the second half we could have pushed more to score more goals, but the game was won.
Next week at West Ham will show if we have truly improved or not.

Nik70

Today was not one of those days. We have had days like that this season, but we were totally dominant against a team that was very defensive minded until the last 15 minutes or so. If we play 'poor' every game and end up with 71% possesion and outshoot the opposing team by a long way (who by the way only had the one shot on target) I'll take it every time.

DomesticTadpole

As someone said, we do this against teams at home, it is away that we have problems. Lets see what we do against West Ham before everything in the garden is rosy.

Nik70

As someone said, we do this against teams at home, it is away that we have problems. Lets see what we do against West Ham before everything in the garden is rosy.
I expect us to go back to 3-5-2 against West Ham.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The team did just enough to win. They hardly wanted to force the game in the second half and were only interested in keeping possession of the ball that take any risks. Very professional but not great viewing.

Mister Ed

Well the goals didnt really came from good played out chances that we created.

The first 2 goals came from counter attacks that started on Leicesters half and hence came from individual mistakes on Leicesters side. RVP's goal was well finished but should have been disallowed for offside. On Falcaos goal I think we were lucky we get another chance on the rebound because the keeper should have hold that ball from Di Maria (poor shot from him and playing it to Falcao would have been the beter option). Obviously for the OG on the corner you cant take any credit at all, is just plain luck that we have perhaps missed too much in previous games.

I agree we had the chances or atleast opportunities to score more goals but we were too sloppy in the final third. As you said sometimes bad decision making, other times final pass is not good enough, other times the finishing not up to scratch and overall I think we lack really good played out chances because the build up still remains too slow and despite having so many creative players I dont see many good combinations between them. That is what I 'am saying with a poor performance, we have been having those issues already an entire season and today we also had them and they prevented us from scoring more goals and walking over Leicester. Lucky for us we get 3 goals without really having to play well for them (that is what I mean with coming out of nowhere, Leicester almost gifted them us). In other games I know this won't happen and we'll have to be beter in our attacking play to win those games. So good result but performance must improve drastically.

Obiviously we were in control, didnt give much away (altough still conceding that one goal) and possesion stats are through the roof but those things havent been a problem for us in most games. We usually dominate possession, we have controlled most games since that 5-3 loss in Leicester and our defensive stats are amongst the best in the league. It is chances created and goals scored that is lacking and today (despite the score line) it is was again lacking.

bosnian_red

Well the goals didnt really came from good played out chances that we created.

The first 2 goals came from counter attacks that started on Leicesters half and hence came from individual mistakes on Leicesters side. RVP's goal was well finished but should have been disallowed for offside. On Falcaos goal I think we were lucky we get another chance on the rebound because the keeper should have hold that ball from Di Maria (poor shot from him and playing it to Falcao would have been the beter option). Obviously for the OG on the corner you cant take any credit at all, is just plain luck that we have perhaps missed too much in previous games.

I agree we had the chances or atleast opportunities to score more goals but we were too sloppy in the final third. As you said sometimes bad decision making, other times final pass is not good enough, other times the finishing not up to scratch and overall I think we lack really good played out chances because the build up still remains too slow and despite having so many creative players I dont see many good combinations between them. That is what I 'am saying with a poor performance, we have been having those issues already an entire season and today we also had them and they prevented us from scoring more goals and walking over Leicester. Lucky for us we get 3 goals without really having to play well for them (that is what I mean with coming out of nowhere, Leicester almost gifted them us). In other games I know this won't happen and we'll have to be beter in our attacking play to win those games. So good result but performance must improve drastically.

Obiviously we were in control, didnt give much away (altough still conceding that one goal) and possesion stats are through the roof but those things havent been a problem for us in most games. We usually dominate possession, we have controlled most games since that 5-3 loss in Leicester and our defensive stats are amongst the best in the league. It is chances created and goals scored that is lacking and today (despite the score line) it is was again lacking.
Don't disagree with any of that really. It's just I think we were more then capable of creating chances and scoring more if we needed to, we just didn't need to so we just settled with the 3 goals and kept possession, instead of just not being good enough to make those chances.

WyoManU

Pleased with the win, but we weren't great. Goals came from opportunistic chances more than quick passing and build-up. Still, happy. We need more. Team still looks unbalanced with dead weight to go around...

SalfordRed1960

Moved the ball faster today which was good.

Both Valencia and Adnan slowed the game down by standing still once the receive the ball. Adnan still making some bad decisions, without really playing badly. Would still have preferred Herrera in the team today.

Falcao starting to get use to the physicality of PL, was very good today in effort. Jones, still the weak link at the back.

Di Maria was good, but looks like he is trying to hard.

Have no idea why we made the subs we did. Really screwed up the balance and flow.

SalfordRed1960

We will need to start doing much, much beter than this if we want to secure champions league football because our closest rivals Souton, Arsenal and after seeing Tottenham and Liverpool today play much beter football than us !
But we can't do better than 3 points. Work in progress, but our performances are not exciting.

roykeane19

I really think LVG playing 3 strikers because of their names on the first team, is hindering us, If you drop one of rvp or falcao, move Rooney up top, then you can accommodate an actual midfielder like herrera or Fellaini

Hes supposed to have balls, so why is he so scared of dropping one of the 3 strikers on the pitch, its making team unbalanced

Under SAF we were extremely light in midfield , now we have the players, but they`re not being utilised, and instead Rooney is being made into a makeshift CM

Lecister are bottom of league for a reason, we really need to up our game, against other teams, hopefully no more 3-5-2

Today wasnt anything spectacular, as they were a very poor side, but performances really need to improve

bugmat

Great first half - DB17 and Falcao the most involved and ADM was good too. Jones was his usual high-strung self. Smalling back would be good.

Second half was "pedal off the metal" stuff and the subs made it worse.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
A little disappointed to be honest. Leicester were pathetic and we could've easily scored 6 or 7 goals if we actually tried going forward or playing with some pace. Pretty boring game all around though I thought.

Individually everyone was fine.... Annoying about Herrera of course. Would like to see the 4-2-3-1 we finished with more often, just with Herrera in for Rooney and Rooney up top.
I always hate it when people say boring game etc but even though it was nice to get a win and there were a few encouraging signs I did struggled to stay engaged by the game. I would prefer to see Rooney up top and Herrera in the midfield as well. Hopefully we start to show more zing in our games soon. I am not sure whats missing but we just dont seem to be a team other sides are scared of.

bosnian_red

I always hate it when people say boring game etc but even though it was nice to get a win and there were a few encouraging signs I did struggled to stay engaged by the game. I would prefer to see Rooney up top and Herrera in the midfield as well. Hopefully we start to show more zing in our games soon. I am not sure whats missing but we just dont seem to be a team other sides are scared of.
Yeah, it wasn't like one of those games that are comfortable and exciting as we have some great play, it was all just kind of subdued. Atmosphere was non existent so maybe that had an impact, but the game was just really slow pace with Leicester posing absolutely no threat at the other end so it was all pretty easy. Was more of a training game. Like you said, there was encouraging signs as we did play with more intent and made more chances, it was all pretty boring though.

Gannicus

Wherever one stands on how well we actually played, surely there is unanimous consensus here that we must improve significantly on this performance to have a prayer of holding onto fourth place.

Good enough today, but not good enough for our next handful of opponents.

Wherever one stands on how well we actually played, surely there is unanimous consensus here that we must improve significantly on this performance to have a prayer of holding onto fourth place.

Good enough today, but not good enough for our next handful of opponents.
I think 'good enough' is all you can hope for against opponents that bad. We were good in the first half but clearly slowed down once we were 3 up and it was clear they had nothing to fight back with.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Kinda the same thing we've been used to since 2009.

Great first half, not so good second half......Even LVG said we killed it off too much (Can't believe he said that) But that sorta thing has been happening for years.

But look, 5 points off City for 2nd, still to play them with a lot of games to go.....We were never winning the league this year. This is a great place to be in as opposed to last year, no matter how bad the quality of the league may be. The football has been wank a lot of the times but, we're still in a good place.

The only bad thing I have to say is, we got rid of Nani and bought a £65 million version of him. Di Maria has been a massive disappointment so far for me. You can see Falcao getting there and trying his bollix off

Acole9

Outstanding
Good win, at least we actually managed to hold on to the lead this time round.

NK86

The team did just enough to win. They hardly wanted to force the game in the second half and were only interested in keeping possession of the ball that take any risks. Very professional but not great viewing.
Even then we created some very good chances when we increased the tempo at times. Makes you wonder why we don't continue playing like that through the game more regularly.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Even then we created some very good chances when we increased the tempo at times. Makes you wonder why we don't continue playing like that through the game more regularly.
Instructions from LvG. Reading between the lines he clearly said to players in post match interview to be cautious in the second half.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Probably mentioned already, but Leicester had 6 shots on goal against us in two games and scored 6 goals.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Good first half with some decent attacking play. Not sure why we sat back in the second? And these LVG subs are, well odd. Still a good win and it was good to see Jones partnering with Rojo. While they had a few nervy moments, these two could form a decent partnership....

Ibi Dreams

Good first half with some decent attacking play. Not sure why we sat back in the second? And these LVG subs are, well odd. Still a good win and it was good to see Jones partnering with Rojo. While they had a few nervy moments, these two could form a decent partnership....
Just wanted to kill the game and not let them have a sniff. I think it's fair enough to want to be cautious after what happened last time and it was pragmatic, if boring. I don't mind us sitting back on a good lead, at least it's better than being overly cautious from the beginning and ending up not actually scoring enough goals

Empire

And you don't think his selections today are indicative of a wider belief that he must play as many of his superstars in one team as possible? Because that's what he's doing.

In the process we're destroying one of the world's best strikers and hindering the team as a result. We've also got two better central midfielders sat on the bench.

But we beat the worst side in the league at home, so all is well. Well in Louis.
No I do not think he has the belief he must play as many of his superstars in one team as possible, you would benefit from looking into his history, he is not afraid of dropping big players. His team selections are based on him doing what he thinks will get the win and not pleasing his super star players.

Leicester will play differently to Chelsea, the selection needed to get the job done will also differ, the selection here was fine and they proved it on the pitch.

Prior to this match, once the lineups were announced people were complaining about the selection however as it turned out the selection was good enough to get the victory and the result was never in doubt, it was a comfortable victory, I'm not sure why you would expect us to go from being poor (as we have been lately) to then instantly quality.

SiRed

Great result.

We still don't look settled at the back and the RvP - Falcao double act doesn't feel right either, so there's more to come yet.
Agree with this. For me Falcao seemed to come out of himself when RVP went off and he was up on his own.

buckooo1978

Impressed with us for the first hour.....

played with great intensity and pace and a massive improvement in terms of what we've seen lately

Blind was super and impressed by most of the players - thought Di Maria was a little wasteful and I think in time Januzaj's decision making will improve.

I still think the main issues are related to Van Gaals decisions

his subs visibly weakened us and allowed Leicester to get a foothold in the game when previously they struggled to get out of their defensive third.

still not convinced by Rooney in midfield and I think he needs to give Herrera some game time

big big test away to West Ham next weekend - I feel we need to win this type of game with Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool breathing down our necks

gasmanc

Banned
And you don't think his selections today are indicative of a wider belief that he must play as many of his superstars in one team as possible? Because that's what he's doing.

In the process we're destroying one of the world's best strikers and hindering the team as a result. We've also got two better central midfielders sat on the bench.

But we beat the worst side in the league at home, so all is well. Well in Louis.
Chin up mate.

Dr Fink

I was as surprised as anyone that we managed to be three up at half time. We weren't good value for it. Again, a bit laboured - we only upped the tempo after we won the ball back from them. When we had it for a period it was just pass, pass, pass, sideways, back.....no penetration.

Di Maria upped the pace when he got it - a good performance. Januzaj was woeful first half and only offered a few bright moments second half. Falcao's control and movement was excellent throughout. RVP was decent first half too. Valencia was just well.......Valencia, reverting to type, not committing the right back at all. He's gone backwards, after showing improvement. Blind controlled the game. At times however, second half, Rooney was playing alongside him - two holding midfielders FFS.

I'd have taken a one-nil win with better football and lots of chances created, even if not taken. There was a time Rooney would have put his laces through that chance second half instead of the overhit pass to Falcao. Poor Falcao running his socks off and feeding off scraps. We just are not playing to his strengths. Our crossing is terrible.

I could have left Old Trafford at half time.........that's how bad I viewed the second half.

crimsonife

First half we were really good, running at them with intent and those three goals (although pretty scrappy). After that we missed quite a few chances and I just knew Leicester we're going to score sooner or later.

Second half was bad, we didn't have the same momentum, hard to see us inviting pressure into our half.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
We are absolutely shocking in the final 3rd, all our players forget how to pass a ball and end up over hitting or under hitting the ball.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 492 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 3:0 Leicester
  • 19% Man Utd 2:0 Leicester