PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 05 February 2017

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It is the same as last year, close to top 4 but we will likley miss out on it again. At the same time general consensus is we are improving and Mourinho should be given the keys to the city because he is the closest next to God. It is quite depressing yes.
What do you suggest people do? Pity themselves for supporting United?
And who the heck says Mourinho is the closest thing to God??
You seem upset.

Dir Wangem

This game delivered a lot of what people wanted to see back in August:

1. A clean sheet from DDG.
2. Smalling and Bailly as our CBs, completely dominating the opponent's strikers.
3. Pogba in CM.
4. A goal from a deadly counter, lead my Micky.
5. A goal from Zlatan, despite being surrounded by defenders in the box.
6. A tap-in goal from Mata, after magically finding space.
7. Rooney nowhere to be seen.
8. A solid performance away from home.

Well done, I'd say.

The United

The performance doesn't not matter much in away game as long as we het 3 points.

Also it showed how much we really need a break and solution to be able to score early to play like a jose's team.

Acole9

Outstanding

2. Smalling and Bailly as our CBs, completely dominating the opponent's strikers.
3. Pogba in CM.

Well done, I'd say.
He's ill, probably would've been on the bench otherwise and come on.

Nickosaur

In his role with us? Yes I really feel so.

He's not a winger. He's not fast, not a tricky dribbler, average crosser of the ball.

He's a good number 10 but we've got better players for that position, physically weak as well, so he doesn't play number 10.

So what do we do with him? I get it he's a good finisher but his build up play in his role for us is really terrible. Most of the time it's just:

1- Receive the ball
2- Dribble towards opposition goal
3- Pass back to Herrera/Pogba
4- Roam back into position

Rinse and repeat.

It's all good playing for a team on the counter, but for us in this current system he's pretty much useless. Donno that's how I feel.
Fair enough. I disagree - I think more than finishing, Mata offers intelligence and creativity. I think his stats show that. But thanks for explaining your point of view.

wolvored

3. Pogba in CM.

Well done, I'd say.
And me

wolvored

-Rubs bridge of nose frustratingly-

Your first point in bold - we play Watford next week at home. They're beatable and I think we can get past them. Liverpool play Spurs, one of them has to drop points, and given Liverpool's current form, I can't see them winning. Therefore if we win and Liverpool lose (both very feasible eventualities) we are not 6th anymore.

Your second point in bold - rest for what? We play again in 6 days, I think that's more than enough 'rest' for these professional athletes.
Agree. If a professional footballer couldnt play 2 games a week somethings wrong. To get 6 days they ought to be as fresh as the start of the season

wolvored

:lol: I'd forgotten how funny you were Pogue Man! This post says it all for me.

Well maybe not all ;) Even in the win against Wigan, when Jose played Martial up front, he was dreadful for most, if not the entire first half. Lacked control & gave the ball away needlessly at least half a dozen times when a good first touch, followed by a good decision could've had us cruising well before half time!

Look, we all have seen how good Martial can be & perhaps is, but let's face it, he Rashford as well as Lingard all continue to make as many rookie mistakes as they have exhibited instances of magic. These youngsters still need time to mature and with our long fixture list Martial will get plenty of chances as long as he understands what the gaffer wants & needs form him.

In Jose I trust. When it's right for Martial to play, he will play and not before.
Lingards 24 not a young kid anymore in football terms

wolvored

Based on Jose's results against the top teams there is not much hope at all for us.

If we are top 4 by May and that is a big If, the chance we will finish in top 4 is still very small unless we have a comfortable lead over the other teams. We are playing Arsenal, Spurs and City in that month.
Who would you have as manager? Dont tell me you would of kept VG.

wolvored

I thought we were ponderous again today. Leicester just weren't at the races. I don't think we were any better or worse than we have been. I keep hoping for some intensity... But at least we're winning. I think we'll get top 4, for all it matters, but we won't be doing anything special in the champions league next year if we do. This team needs a really top drawer, energetic performance to kick everything up a gear.
Depends who comes in in the summer

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Lingards 24 not a young kid anymore in football terms
A lot of people see his small stature and immature behaviour, so assume that he is a teenager.
In footballing terms, he is a man. At his age, Ronaldo moved to Madrid and became their biggest player, with all the expectations which that brings.
Lingard is a good squad player though and is definitely a good option to have off the bench.

wolvored

I don't think we will but why not take it game by game and enjoy tonight's win? You just seem very negative. And btw, we can still win the EL too as Sevilla won't this year.
Thats what being a fan is all about whoever you support. To be negative after a win is ridiculous

Adam_S

I think this was a much better way to set the team up against opposition lower in the table compared to the game against Hull. 2 in midfield, Mata at 10 and pace on the flanks. United need to have a positive, aggressive mindset going into games like that otherwise we'll end up with more 0-0 and 1-1 draws.

wolvored

A lot of people see his small stature and immature behaviour, so assume that he is a teenager.
In footballing terms, he is a man. At his age, Ronaldo moved to Madrid and became their biggest player, with all the expectations which that brings.
Lingard is a good squad player though and is definitely a good option to have off the bench.
He is a limited player who probably wont get any better. If hes happy to sit on the bench then thats a decent acquisition to have.

Cantonagotmehere

Not understanding the Pogba hate at all, he did what so many were calling for, taking it easy playing simple football and it was really effective in the second half, controlled the tempo very well and the few long passes he attempted all worked. People just have it out for him IMO.
So true. He had a bit of bad spell, for him, over the last couple of weeks ( not including today) but before he was great for a long run before. I am so glad United have him for years. He's a great talent.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I thought we were ponderous again today. Leicester just weren't at the races. I don't think we were any better or worse than we have been. I keep hoping for some intensity... But at least we're winning. I think we'll get top 4, for all it matters, but we won't be doing anything special in the champions league next year if we do. This team needs a really top drawer, energetic performance to kick everything up a gear.
I'm more upbeat, however, in general, I do agree with what you have written.
Our energy levels and urgency to score goals needs to increase.
The difference today was that some of our shots went in. Where previously the GK would put in a MOTM performance, today this was not the case.

Here are some interesting statistics:

And to compare the shots statistic above, with last year:

To say that LVG's brand of football was bad, is an understatement. The guy was an unmitigated disaster.
It boggles the mind that some fans think we haven't improved.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
3. Pogba in CM.
9. wolvored

Camilo

Depends who comes in in the summer
Are the players not already good enough?! I just think, with the talent out there, we have to be performing better.

But a wins a win - onwards and hopefully upwards.

Jay Pascal

Can we play them every week?

I enjoyed Leicester's title win and I would enjoy seeing them go down.
I would be upset if they went down, since I hesitated in placing a bet of them going down at the start of the season. Imagine what the odds were like.

SqueakyWeasel

I would be upset if they went down, since I hesitated in placing a bet of them going down at the start of the season. Imagine what the odds were like.
I could tell you! It wasn't all that much actually because it was Leicester in fact it was longer odds for them to retain it than go down: 33/1 vs 25/1

Imagine those Leicester relegation odds though, if they were accumulated with separate bets for not losing in all 6 of the CL group stage games > going through the Round of 16 head-to-head > ditto Quarter finals > ditto Semi-finals and then winning it :confused:

Doing it this way could achieve approximately 300x more than I was offered when I first asked, in June last year, for the straight odds for "this year's PL champions to be defending the 2018 CL title from the Championship" :D

Never gonna happen :lol:, but what's £2 between friends?

rooney1905

I'm more upbeat, however, in general, I do agree with what you have written.
Our energy levels and urgency to score goals needs to increase.
The difference today was that some of our shots went in. Where previously the GK would put in a MOTM performance, today this was not the case.

Here are some interesting statistics:

And to compare the shots statistic above, with last year:

To say that LVG's brand of football was bad, is an understatement. The guy was an unmitigated disaster.
It boggles the mind that some fans think we haven't improved.
Yes, i'm always confused by the comparisons to LvG. There have been some games that have been less than joyous but for the most part out problem is finishing. We couldn't even get to the opposition box under LvG. I'm pleased with what Mourinho has done so far. Today we were set up correctly for the most part. Took our chances and came out with a decent victory.

GM K

October 21, 2016 - Manchester United, 7th position, 3 points behind 4th placed Liverpool

November 21, 2016 - Manchester United, 6th position, 6 points behind 4th placed Arsenal

December 21, 2016 - Manchester United, 6th position, 4 points behind 4th placed Arsenal

January 21, 2017 - Manchester United, 6th position, 4 points behind 4th placed Liverpool

February 6, 2017 - Manchester United, 6th position, 2 points behind 4th placed Arsenal

February 21, 2017 - Manchester United ??????????????????????????????????????????????

NotQuiteManc

Controlled, disciplined, well martial-ed defensive unit, planned to neutered Leicester's well known counter attacking game. I saw comments saying players such as Rashford, and especially Pogba, "didn't do well because they did express themselves" during the game. IMHO, it was probably because such tactics would be risky and would invite mistakes which last season has shown, plenty of times, where Leicester thrives on such situations.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My only gripe from the game was that Mata tackle, he should of gone, it would of changed the game.
As @El Zoido said in another thread, it wasn't as bad as that Feghouli tackle when we played West Ham, and people whinged for days about that red card.

He was late, but didn't jump in, it was with one foot (thats low) and his leg isn't even straight. It's just a mistimed slide tackle.

pauldyson1uk

As @El Zoido said in another thread, it wasn't as bad as that Feghouli tackle when we played West Ham, and people whinged for days about that red card.

He was late, but didn't jump in, it was with one foot (thats low) and his leg isn't even straight. It's just a mistimed slide tackle.
No you are right it was not the worst tackle I have seen , but I still think he got lucky.

Robertd0803

Think we took our foot off the gas after the 3rd, but should have had a 4th though. Can understand why everybody took it easy though as Leicester offered very little going forward. Matas foul was debatable to say the least.

Feel sorry for Leicester, don't have anything against them and its a shame to see them struggle so much this season. Really shows how amazing last season from them was.

Nice to see Miki and Mata get on the score sheet.

Big Andy

Bloke
Leicester fans need to take a bit of a look at themselves as well...winning the title last year and the support they got, now they're back to being shit again, and they're all fecking off with 25 minutes to go...

Just goes to show they're still small time fans, who didn't deserve to see their team win the league...

the bunch of cnuts...

Unmutual

While a 3-0 win is always satisfying, the real story for me was seeing Leicester. Until now I had thought they were a little unlucky based on the odd times I'd seen them, but the way their heads dropped after going behind was remarkable. By the 70 minute mark half their team were walking around the pitch having given up, they looked completely done in. When you look at how pumped up Hull and Swansea are at the moment, I could easily see them losing to both those teams in the coming weeks.

But yeah, United wise, a decent performance but one that I dont think should make us think the basic problems have gone away. We were leaden in the first 40 minutes, and I reckon any of the teams above us would have knocked in more than 1 second half goal in the same circumstances. Happy with the score, but there's still something about the team that's a bit off.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
It was good to win and to score 3 but in my opinion it was also a frustrating performance.
Leicester were awful.Truly awful, yet we seemed happy to take the foot off the gas at 3 nil.
A really top team would have scored 6 yesterday.
Miki's goal and performance were class though.

wolvored

3. Pogba in CM.
9. wolvored
We'll I played my best lol

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was good to win and to score 3 but in my opinion it was also a frustrating performance.
Leicester were awful.Truly awful, yet we seemed happy to take the foot off the gas at 3 nil.
A really top team would have scored 6 yesterday.
Miki's goal and performance were class though.
How many teams have scored 3 goals or more against Leicester (away) this season?

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 592 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Leicester 1:1 Man Utd