PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sat, 10 March 2018

King.of.Red

I love how all our players gave absolutely everything to win this game. Young was very good. and Rashford was superb, his first goal :drool:

cyberman

Dean Saunders was gold on TalkSport.
He was looking around OT feeling sorry for us watching Liverpool have 90 percent possession and we got lucky that a few goals justified it.
Yeah, its not like thats the definition of a football match.
That match was won in the first half. A half that should have seen us go 3-0 up. Stats that we conceded in the second half do not tell the story of the match since the narrative completely changed since we had a 2 goal lead.
Tyler dismissing our goals as 2 Liverpool slips and getting excted everytime they got within 25 yards does not change that. Nor do Sky pretending the first half didn't happen with their 2nd half only stat popup.
I have never seen that before btw

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

One of life's little pleasures, beating Liverpool in the early Saturday kick-off and then wearing a smile throughout the weekend...

I admit i was a bit surprised by Klopp's initial approach. One would have thought that he'd put pressure on the ball right from the get-go in order to take an early lead or at least make us feel uncomfortable in our own home ground but that wasn't the case. Once they decided to turn the screws on in the second half, they actually managed to pin us down and they took complete control of the match rhythm. But even when you're the best pressing machine, you can't always expect to come back from a two-goal deficit in 45 minutes at OT of all places. Spurs, the other day, started the game with the foot on the gas pedal and they were out of sight in no time. I guess that's the way to do it.

Good tactics from Jose for this game. I saw an attempt to create space for Lukaku & Rashford to go 2v2 against Lovren and Arnold which i think was spot on. It's also a good sign that the players seem to be finally absorbing Mourinho's traditional zonal defence with man-marking orientations in which all players defend a specific zone by staying close to the opponent in that zone no matter the number on his shirt. McTominay, in particular, is very good at that and he always tries to keep the right distance between him and Matic. And i still believe that it's a damn shame that Pogba seems to not desire the same role because with his skills he could really become a difference maker for us.

I still believe that we can't handle ourselves well against pressing tactics. And i'm not talking solely about passing our way through the opposition players with finesse. For a team that wants to set up a low block defence and counter with balls played into space, we still lose a lot of 50/50 balls and we don't recover many second balls. I guess that's why i'll understand Fellaini being subbed on in these situations since he can be of use in that area. Other than that, i won't complain about the parked bus in the second half. As long as the central channels were cut off, not risking an offside line but conceding a bit more space in favour of retaining the defensive shape is fine by me.

In the end, a good performance overall. Two goals up and with the best chance of the game by the hour-mark and then conceding space but not any shots from within the penalty box, here's a typical Mourinho performance for you. Klopp can say whatever he wants and blame it on whoever he wants but as we saw today when the spaces in between the lines are extremely hard to find and Firmino suffocates and when Salah and Mane are denied the room to run with ball, he becomes a very nervous man. At least with us being two goals up early on, he won't complain about Jose not making any attacking minded subs in the midfield.

manunited1919

I don't live in Manchester either.:lol:

I think the best thing about the United/Liverpool rivalry is that it has become a global phenomenon, that fans outside of Manchester can completely relate to. This is unlike other derbies like Liverpool-Everton, Spurs-Arsenal or Barca-Espanyol that probably only local fans can really appreciate more.

But ok, whatever suits you, we are all happy today and that's what matters.
Absolutely, I’m happy. Just keeping things in perspective. I thought beating Chelsea was so much more important, Chelsea are actually a better team. Sorry, but for me Liverpool are just full of hot air.

Jericholyte2

McTominey was an absolute beast today!

Sourness going on about José 'getting away with it today' jog on pal!!!

Even Caragher wasn't having it!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Anywhere where I can watch this?

We don't get him in the US, so I'm always wishing I could see what all Souness says... especially on a day like today.
Don't do it mate...don't do it!

Probably be on Youtube soon under the header "Souness goes into meltdown"

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
You can shove your Heavy metal up your arse. We got a huge piano bitch.

King.of.Red

I could not see the match but heard that Fellaini came on and Klopp saying that a penalty should have been awarded against Fellaini. How did Fellaini do?
just usual Fellaini. he gave additional strength to our midfield and to help our defence. quite good.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
United need to stop shooting themselves on the foot in these big games. Lukaku's clearances vs City, Jones' own goal vs Spurs and today Bailly.

Can't gift goals to these teams but happy you guys got the 3 points.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He was looking around OT feeling sorry for us watching Liverpool have 90 percent possession and we got lucky that a few goals justified it.
That match was won in the first half. A half that should have seen us go 3-0 up. Stats that we conceded in the second half do not tell the story of the match since the narrative completely changed since we had a 2 goal lead.
Tyler dismissing our goals as 2 Liverpool slips and getting excted everytime they got within 25 yards does not change that. Nor do Sky pretending the first half didn't happen with their 2nd half only stat popup.
Another failed manager as a pundit. He can only dream of the career Jose has had.

Trizy

feck me I couldn't stand the media and social media hype about Liverpool were going to hammer us and how bad we were. I was confident of a win in this game and they boys delivered.

Apart from Baily's O.G (btw he was fantastic throughout) what did Liverpool do? We were better and hungrier.

Bratt

I could not see the match but heard that Fellaini came on and Klopp saying that a penalty should have been awarded against Fellaini. How did Fellaini do?
Fellaini did great, gave us more possession of the ball, and wins most of his duels.
And it was never a penalty, Mane clearly tried to construct one by sticking his leg out.
Feck Klopp!

Coleyoscar

The gloomy look on Souness's face was one the sweetest parts of the day. He's one bitter dude.

roseguy64

Fair play to Ashley Young today. Did well. Didn't mind him starting today, as I have been recently, considering he matches up well with Salah and it showed.

Parry Gallister

no, its true. I have nothing but rhetoric and moronic hypocrisy to back up what I am saying but its true none the less

are you saying I can't have an opinion? Why are you oppressing me? Just because we have been ahead of them 100% of the season and sometimes by 5-6 places does not mean we deserve to be where we are.Your nothing but a Mourinho fanboi.
You have to be careful he'll be threting you next

GM K

Synonyms

Quarrel - Argue

Brilliant - Bright

Quick - Swift

Happy - Merry

Rich - Affluent

Lukaku - Beast

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I know we badly need reinforcements in the position but the fullbacks were actually great this game. Young especially was fantastic. De Gea had better accuracy in his long range passing this time, which was on accord with Lukaku's heading down and Rashford's speed. Took his chance really well, amazing goal.

I think we played really entertaining in the first half. Much more entertaining than Liverpools offensive display in the second half. They just pass a lot, not much penetration. McTominay deserves a lot of praise and i think the whole team defended really good, even tho i'm not a super-fan of defending so deep when we have the control to avoid it. I believe we could have gotten more goals if we kept attacking. Not complaining tho, the plan worked perfectly. Couldn't be happier.

We have a great manager who's building a great team, and its fun being a fan again. Thank you Mou

Reactions: golden_blunder

Zen

This Tyler stuff is pretty odd....how can both teams fans think he is a fan of the other team?

He's never really bothered me at all, don't get it.

downunder red

Best game i've seen in years. Controlled the first half and two nil up. Knew they'd come at us in the second half but the defense where heroic. Bailly is a beast; hope he plays every game from now on. Jose is a tactical genius. GO YOU REDS!

Reactions: Akshay

EyeInTheSky

Yeah, our 2 legit goals and superb finishing were liverpool slip-ups and the spectacular own goal by Baily was great play from pool. Fecking idiots.

Red Primus

The second half was not shite nor was it terrible. Nervy and exciting, yes. Terrible, definitely not. Liverpool played harder the second half, as they should and that definitely was something that we would expect them to do. They were desperate and would have chased the game until they ran out of hope. We adjusted to it accordingly and appropriately with ease, actually. Just because they had a stronger second half performance when compared to their first doesn't automatically mean we had disappointing second.

We started the first half slow as well. Well, slow would be the wrong description, I'd say we started the first half smartly and we did the same the second half. I'd venture that we played great attacking football during the first half and adjusted to smart defensive/counter-attacking play in the second. If not for Bailly's own goal, this would have been a clearer case of how much we controlled the game. If not for Bailly's goal, we might have scored a third - the dynamics of the game might have allowed for that to happen. Liverpool were getting more desperate and were slowing losing hope. They would have dropped their heads soon enough but that goal renewed their energy and gave them a plausible objective.

Anyway, great game of football with all the right ingredients.

Trajanus

LFC have been grossly elevated in media all over the world. They are quite ordinary if they are up against a structured defence. As pointed out by several, they hardly had one real chance to score. A lot of possession but no end product.
That said, very good defending by United. McT is a gem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 631 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool