PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 20 October 2019

Smores

Changing formation and parking the bus probably cost us that win. Still a point is probably a good result for us given the state we're in

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It was decent in the context of this season despite letting them end the match like the home team after the equaliser.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Expected the way the game panned out really. Eventually a ball will get through, which has been the case all season. We can defend well but without an attacking threat, we're going to concede eventually.

First half was good though, good effort, mctominay, James and Rashford were very good. Pereira and Fred worked hard, defence was good. Struggled to keep the ball by the end though.

MisterLupus

Fair result. Could have been a scrappy win so easily had not our defense shut down for two seconds - but Liverpool deserved that goal they were the better team those last thirty minutes. Both teams played well today - a really good game (un)decided on margins.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We hammer Chelsea, draw with Arsenal and nearly beat Liverpool who haven't lost in months......yet we lose all the time to the smaller teams.

Just shows how little quality we have. The better teams give us more space to exploit as they attack more.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just going to enjoy that performance. Nice to see us play with intensity and desire to win, as well as looking for the most part competent in all areas of the game.

Do I think it’s a new dawn, no but it’s nice to see players play and look like they deserve to wear the shirt for once and Ole was on the ball for the most part tactically.

Fully Fledged

Good game shame we let a simple goal in. I thought that there were more positives than negatives today. We made Liverpool look poor for 80 minutes.

stu_1992

Will be echoing many in here when I say that it feels like a loss in the way that it played out. Was feeling good at half time but we gave the ball up to them and made little effort to get a second goal. I thought that tactic would always result in us conceding. Highly disappointed, but would have taken it before the game.

UnitedChampionsAgain

People talk about our solid defence but it's pathetic when the chips are down. Still, a decent point against that lot.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At least their consecutive victories record is over.
And stopped them taking the all time record. Just a shame we couldn't hold on, but we'd all have taken a draw.

I feel sorry for that guy who bet 2k on Liverpool winning! Lost his money, and didn't get a win!

Chairman Woodie

That was Andreas Pereira's best match in a United jersey.

Pity about the result. The late Liverpool goal was kick in stomach. The game feels like a defeat. I can't understand why Rojo didn't stick with Lallana. Such a poor goal to concede.

r0663664

Worships Man City
James, Pereira and Rushford played well. If only there are some cohesion, Rushford and James would score a few more goals. Keep this up, we will be TOP 6.

Yakuza_devils

How can our defence let a slow cross float across for Lallana to score? We should have clear that!

Ban

Excellent performance in the context of the dreadful form, and the lack of strength in the team and squad.
Promising, and that buys Ole some time.

Someone stops Liverpool finally, albeit 2 points dropped not 3.
But they know they have a mental barrier at our ground now, couldn't beat us with 4 injuries last year, couldn't beat this outfit today.
Yup, however good their form is they always stutter at our place.

Banana Republic

A big mistake changing tactics and sitting back defending, hoping to hit on the break, which would never work with this team in a million years.
We just invited relentless pressure that would ultimately lead to goal scoring opportunities for Liverpool.
It’s a tactical fail, big time.
Jose did the same time after time and we lost a lead, or got beaten every single time he tried it.
I don’t think we ever rode it out once.
Ole blew it on this one, or who ever advised him to go backs to the wall defensive.
This is now being touted as a great result for Liverpool and we are now heading for a relegation scrap.

caid

Ole spot on tactically for most of the day but do feel we shouldn't changed the setup again in the last 10.
Yeah i thought we should have brought on some fresh legs a lot earlier but then i tried to think of who we had on the bench that would actually help. Matic maybe but i doubt it. Mata wouldn't. Lingard for James maybe? I can see why you wouldn't, in hindsight it might have helped. Was he even on the bench?

Hoof the ball

Ole's tactics and our performances are only ever decent when we're the weaker team and thus sitting back. In the 75% of games when we're playing against parked bus teams everything will revert to type. Our issue with Ole has never been whether he could get a team to counter. It has always been that he lacks the nous to break down teams who play the way we did today.

SteveW

First time at old Trafford for 35 years when we have been 1-nil up at half time we didn’t go on to win the game.

I should have put “at old Trafford” in post I’ll edit it
Thats not true though. We've had heaps of draws over the years. Arsenal got one a few weeks ago.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Very good spirited performance by a team lacking in quality and confidence.

Happy with the draw obviously but it was a very sloppy goal to concede.

I felt Ole could've done something more to ensure we had an outlet late on, rather than us being completely pinned back.

Liverpool should be very disappointed. That's two points dropped for them, after a week of taking the piss.

Ban

And stopped them taking the all time record. Just a shame we couldn't hold on, but we'd all have taken a draw.

I feel sorry for that guy who bet 2k on Liverpool winning! Lost his money, and didn't get a win!
I'm forty for few guys who hoped we'd get a spanking today. Supposed United fans mind you.

Walters_19_MuFc

Proud of the boys! Bit crap we didnt get the win I felt we deserved, but I think most would have taken a draw before the game.

Bit annoyed with Ole's subs, or lack of I should say.

Robertson was their dangerman all game. We did really well to stifle him in the first half but second half when we went to a three man midfield, it meant our wing backs left our right and left centre midfielders to shuffle across.

They did a fantastic job but Pereira was knackered after 70 mins and should have been taken off sooner.

Would have been so nice to stop thier run and get the three points but wasnt meant to be.

SteveW

Yeah i thought we should have brought on some fresh legs a lot earlier but then i tried to think of who we had on the bench that would actually help. Matic maybe but i doubt it. Mata wouldn't. Lingard for James maybe? I can see why you wouldn't, in hindsight it might have helped. Was he even on the bench?
We had nothing to bring on.

ChelseaChelsea68

Supports
Chelsea
The Dippers momentum has been broken,let’s hope they start dropping point on a regularly now. I hate them soo much, I know it must be tough for you United fans but I’d rather City win title than that scum. As a Chelsea fan I’d rather Spurs( some chance) win the title than Livershite.
The media are already going over the top on them :( what will be like if they win it.
Thought you played well in parts toda, dropped off too much in the 2nd half.

Fergies Gum

First time at old Trafford for 35 years when we have been 1-nil up at half time we didn’t go on to win the game.

I should have put “at old Trafford” in post I’ll edit it
Isn't that record regarding us leading at half time and not going on to lose?

Josep Dowling

Called it before the game. 1-1 will just give our inept manager another couple of weeks.

Such a soft goal to give away as well.

Prodigy24

I'm still fuming and feel like punching a hole in the wall. Nobody expected us to get anything today, and we were so close. They created feck all and spent most of the game passing it around the back before we completely fecked up at the end.

Credit to the players, they did very well.

I'd re-arrange Lalanas smug face if I saw him somewhere now. Urgh.

The Hacker

Annoying. Was far better first half. Same story second half. Though we were fitter etc?

Desperate in the attacking part of the team. We just don’t have the depth.

Untd55

Parked the bus and countered. Decent performance, but nothing more. Liverpool were really poor today.

Still barely created anything in attack. Can still see we are going to struggle against any team that doesn't give the team space.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Decent first half. Too defensive se one half, drew scouse onto us and it was only a matter of time before our luck ran out.

midfield were getting overrun from 70ish - Ole should have made a call and brought Garner on - or even Jones on a little later, we were out on our feet and just needed help.

Strelok

Mourinho was hung out to dry when we performed like this. However this is now being considered a good performance because Ole has let the standards drop so low.
Not at all, Mourinho was hung out to dry because he played like this against the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton at OT ffs.

Well I think it's a decent performance overall. Neither Liverpool nor us created much chance and if Rojo could clear the ball we'd get the 3 points but that's football I think.

Reactions: Penna

jem

Worst possible result for me in terms of its impact.

A loss shouldve seen OGS out for good, a win would be a win against liverpool.
I can never understand a loss being preferable to anything.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That was Andreas Pereira's best match in a United jersey.

Pity about the result. The late Liverpool goal was kick in stomach. The game feels like a defeat. I can't understand why Rojo didn't stick with Lallana. Such a poor goal to concede.
Without a doubt.
The problem with him is in games we need attacking ouput.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 457 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:2 Liverpool