PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Mon, 22 August 2022

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I'll take the result but that type of football wasn't acceptable when Ole was here and it shouldn't be with EtH.
I think in the context of losing 9-0 to them last season over two games, losing our first two games including 4-0 to Brentford, not having his signings yet to play how he wants and a crowd ready to turn if we went behind it very much was acceptable.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'll take the result but that type of football wasn't acceptable when Ole was here and it shouldn't be with EtH.

Under 30% possession at OT against a poor Liverpool side is hardly a sign of a great revolution. Still it showed EtH can be pragmatic if needed which was a good sign.

Think Gary Neville must have been high with his over the top praise for the performance.
We had far superior possession stats in our first two games ....

...they went well.

EtH got his tactics spot on last night, he obviously had watched Liverpool v Palace and Fulham, as both the London teams done a number on Liverpool in very much the same way. It's the easiest and best way to play against this Liverpool.

Roux

This was a game about showing fight more than anything else - the players showed that, the next step is showing fight/determination while gaining some sort of tactical control - i felt like we made it alot more uncomfortable than it should have been.

justsomebloke

Result speaks for itself, what an evening!

The day after, and thinking of the bigger picture:

They comprehensively and convincingly put to rest the biggest question mark they were facing: Lack of will and effort. Which is huge, and opens up the way for progress. Of course, at the same they've now established a new baseline for themselves, a standard they'll be held to in future games.

That being said, in a quite a few other respects, it's doubtful if this game really showed a way forward.

Stylistically, this was a throwback to the sort of game we played against teams like Liverpool 3 or 4 seasons ago - basically ceding possession and control, and relying almost entirely on disruption and counterattack. As it has often been before, that was highly effective against this type of opponent. But we know it's not a template for the way forward. It's isn't going to work against Wolves or Palace or most other teams, any more than it has in the past. We had less than 30% possession, less than 70% pass completion. You can't play that way against teams who themselves cede the initiative.

We got away from our biggest problem in the first two games - build-up play - by simply not trying to do it. The one time we did, it ended with a corner for Liverpool. A smart adjustment considering the Brentford trauma and the nature of the opponent, but obviously we cannot continue doing this. This result bought us some time to work on that problem, but sooner or later we are going to have to actually solve it.

Players:

De Gea: Our approach may have been effective, but it was also implicitly a searing indictment of de Gea - after he was unable to do what the system needs him to do, we changed the whole system to allow him to not have to do what he's not good at. And he still fecked up the one time we tried playing out from the back (passing to Varane who was in the wrong place with the wrong body shape and no way out). That option will not be available for most other games.

Malacia: I think he won himself a starting role for now. Showed what can be done with aggressiveness, confidence and good, quick decision-making.

Martinez/Varane: That looked good - Martinez aggressive and proactive, Varane calm and covering. I thought Martinez was unfairly slammed for his first two games too.

Dalot: I don't think this game showed anything different than other games: He's not good enough to be a starting RB for United. A particular horror is how he almost consistently stands off his man around the box, leaving ample space and time for the oppo to find the right option and put it into action.

McTominay: Ditto. Even in a type of game that is tailor made for him, he wasn't very good.

Eriksen: Still hard to form a judgment really. It's been three games with three different roles, he's neither obviously impressed or disappointed.

Bruno: Weird, extreme game. He worked his socks off and showed real spirit, for which he deserves huge credit. But he was not very effective as an attacker, nearly scored an own-goal that would have been a classic and frankly seemed overcharged at times - like the ridiculous situation where he refused to hand over the ball with one yellow card already in his pocket. Maybe that Bruno was the right one for yesterday, but I'm not very sure that's the Bruno I'd like to see going forward.

Rashford: What a reminder of how small the margins are for a player of his type. He's a constant threat, but that only works if he succeeds in what he's trying to do every now and then. Lately he hasn't but yesterday he did.

Elanga: I don't agree with the very positive assessment a lot of commentators had. He did beautifully on the goal obviously. But other than that, he's basically a player who tries hard, but far too rarely succeeds in doing what he's trying to do, at least yesterday. Still too raw to play regularly for United, in my opinion.

Martial showed why he's suddenly regarded as a valuable piece again, Sancho what he can be - but the sort of game we played yesterday isn't really one that suits him ideally.

Teja

I was very confused agreeing with every single sub
Yup this.

Hate to squash the optimism here but we have had these types of wins against the bigger sides relatively often in the last seasons.

I just hope we can back this up against Southampton on Saturday & in the upcoming weeks.
Yeah that level of intensity isn't sustainable. We raised our game and got a result, so fair play but our baseline level is still hard to gauge.

It looked more like Conte / Jose ball than anything we were promised with EtH. Just need a tiny bit more composure in the middle so we can play it out through the press when we win the ball back.

Casemiro will add a little bit of that but I really don't like the look of Eriksen in that midfield two. He looked smashed in about 45 mins and really struggled to track runners and sprint back into position.

If we can get Casemiro + FdJ somehow that'll be perfection.

ZupZup

I am not arsed about the possession stats... our football was more direct and exciting to watch than theirs last night. They struggled to create much at all.

Also, you have to take into account that we were leading the match from the 16th minute. At that point, the game is perfectly set up for us to hurt them on the counter. We could have scored more.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He spouts some nonsense from time to time, but then who hasn't ('he could've been killed!'). Like you say, it's quite apparent that he's a good guy valuing all the great things about football and topping it off with an unlimited amount of passion for the sport in general and his clubs in particular. I'd like to think he'd be totally on board with our protest against the Glazers, for example
He was also a constant voice of reason throughout covid.

justsomebloke

What? You realise the performance lead to the result right? For all Liverpools possession they didn’t test De Gea once. Not a single person is arsed about possession when you dominate a team with a press like that.

If we’re going to get anything out of this season we have to play like that most matches. They aren’t good enough to camp in the oppo half and keep possession. I’d rather see playing out from then back combined with a counter any day.
I think it's pretty obvious we can't play like that most matches. Because most opponents aren't going to give us the space behind their defensive line that it requires. We'd just be dumping the ball into an overpopulated midfield and setting ourselves up to be jammed. We know this, we've tried it. To be a top team, you have to be able to do something with the initiative that most smaller teams will cede to you whether you want it or not.

Bokito

I think teams like Brentford and Brighton adapt to the way Man Utd plays - with Man Utd having to dictate. The team is currently not really capable of that. Whereas against Liverpool it was the other way around: Man Utd adapting to Liverpool's style of play. I expect Man Utd to keep struggling against smaller teams...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He’s just so obviously one of the good guys. I find all the hating on him incredibly childish.
Yeah, I annoyingly like him a lot. On the few occasions he's talked about non-football matters, I find myself agreeing with him more often than not. He seems like he would be more fun to be around than most managers.

I still find his post-match excuses rather funny though - weather, dry grass etc - but I suppose opposing fans probably felt the same about Sir Alex's excuses as well.

Edwards6

The biggest thing last night was the intensity and tempo we played with, the players have proved they can do it so now there's no excuses, it can't just be a one-off because it was a big game we have to work like that every game.
I love the fact Ten Hag will drop any player that isn't willing to work hard it doesn't matter who they are

Skills

Snitch
How fecking good did that first goal feel? It was pure elation

justsomebloke

Yeah, I annoyingly like him a lot. On the few occasions he's talked about non-football matters, I find myself agreeing with him more often than not. He seems like he would be more fun to be around than most managers.

I still find his post-match excuses rather funny though - weather, dry grass etc - but I suppose opposing fans probably felt the same about Sir Alex's excuses as well.
I thought so too. He's usually very good in his post-match comments, including when they've lost but yesterday you got a sense he was rattled and struggled to find the right things to say because he couldn't say what he thought.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Just realized Firminho started that game!
I thought he came on as a sub late on

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Morning lads!

Waking up at my hotel in Manchester today still absolutely awestruck from that one! I can’t even explain what the atmosphere was like inside Trafford. I was in the standing section (n2401) but the whole place was so lively.

I’d just like to emphasise that it speaks volumes the two players most people raved about (Martinez and Malacia) were the ones hand chosen by ETH. On that basis, I think we should worry less about the money we are paying for Antony! This man can clearly spot a baller.

Anyway love and respect to everyone who went last night as well as everyone watching around the world.

Just don’t forget lads - Glazers out is the main thing. Enjoy the wins but don’t get distracted from the main mission.

Born2Lose

I think in the context of losing 9-0 to them last season over two games, losing our first two games including 4-0 to Brentford, not having his signings yet to play how he wants and a crowd ready to turn if we went behind it very much was acceptable.
Don't disagree, my remark was aimed more at the hypocrisy of the forum towards certain managers over others. Playing that way was always stick to beat Ole with and other countless unfashionable managers in the PL previously.

And let's not delude ourselves here. We wouldn't have lost 9-0 to them last season if they had Milner and Henderson starting in midfield. This is a Liverpool team with serious problems currently. In spite of this they still had 70% possession, more shots on and off target.

largelyworried

Don't disagree, my remark was aimed more at the hypocrisy of the forum towards certain managers over others. Playing that way was always stick to beat Ole with and other countless unfashionable managers in the PL previously.

And let's not delude ourselves here. We wouldn't have lost 9-0 to them last season if they had Milner and Henderson starting in midfield. This is a Liverpool team with serious problems currently. In spite of this they still had 70% possession, more shots on and off target.
Playing like this in your third game and playing like this in your third season are two such different things its a nonsense to compare them. Ole's problem was that he never successfully developed the team past simple counter attack tactics.

Suffice to say, if ETH is still forced to play counter attack in his third season, he will have failed in his task and will be criticised too.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I'll take the result but that type of football wasn't acceptable when Ole was here and it shouldn't be with EtH

You need different approaches according to the opposition. ETH got it right and he shows that he can be flexible with the approach. It was perfect strategy for a team with a high line, ( as Brighton showed against us)
I totally agree with this.

Credit to Rashford, he's been taking pelters in the last 18 months and rightly so. He played very well.
I agree and feel bad about some of the negative comments I have made about him in the past.

I thought Bruno was good, although maybe not quite as good as some on commentary said. He did chase down more and made much better decisions and this was his best game for months.
Did anybody else notice late in the game Bruno picked the ball up in an advanced position and immediately tried to pass it to Christiano Ronaldo, it is always he first thought - I suppose it is like playing with your hero and wanting to please him all the time. But it didn't work last season and it won't work this. It is another advantage of dropping or selling Ronaldo - you get Bruno playing better again, like when he first came to United.

Will Singh

I think this game was about grinding out a result rather then playing the ETH style of play, let’s just start winning games and slowly allowing our new players and new defence partnerships to gel and then we can take it from there. Let’s not get carried away it’s one game and the Glazers are still at the club….

pacifictheme

You'll never guess who started in midfield for Liverpool at anfield when they won 5 nil v us last season.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Seriously think even OGS wouldn't be bitter about the result or the way in which we won. Find it extremely annoying that we have to now defend a manager for winning against Liverpool because of style of play. The best win over Liverpool ever was John o sheas goal at the kop end resulting in a daylight robbery. Just enjoy the result ffs

pacifictheme

I think this game was about grinding out a result rather then playing the ETH style of play, let’s just start winning games and slowly allowing our new players and new defence partnerships to gel and then we can take it from there. Let’s not get carried away it’s one game and the Glazers are still at the club….
It absolutely was and I was delighted with the fight and determination we showed. But it's easy to forget that at times we absolutely did play some very good football and that was very encouraging.

It's our third game under eth, klopp took ages to get Liverpool playing the way he wanted, this stuff takes time. The signs were there last night, need to kick on now and back it up with a win and performance versus Southampton. The effort we showed last night needs to be the standard now.

cyberman

Weird how the second goal has been labelled a counter attack. I do t think it was at all? Mis control to Martial on the halfway line who found Rashford making a run in behind.
A run behind isn’t a counter attack.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Weird how the second goal has been labelled a counter attack. I do t think it was at all? Mis control to Martial on the halfway line who found Rashford making a run in behind.
A run behind isn’t a counter attack.
I thought this, was odd when Tyler labelled it as such. Like you said from half way line, we weren't countering anything.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Playing like this in your third game and playing like this in your third season are two such different things its a nonsense to compare them. Ole's problem was that he never successfully developed the team past simple counter attack tactics.

Suffice to say, if ETH is still forced to play counter attack in his third season, he will have failed in his task and will be criticised too.
Not to mention he's got half a team coming in over the next week, apparently, and that of players that know his style and can execute it.

And anyway, this is not just any old game but Liverpool at home. We should care about the result, not the way we play. It's only because we've been serving dross against the sides where we should dominate that people are becoming picky.

I'd take a few scrappy wins and being 4/5 points ahead of a waning Pool side than playing EtH ball from the onset and conceding last minute equalisers.

Maticmaker

Looks like ETH has already put a 'rocket up'.
Commitment and sound displays all around, some great ones from the new boys.
Well done United, now "Glory Glory ....and the reds go marching...on!on!on!"

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Now they have to reproduce that type of performance away at Southampton, then we can get rolling. Just listened to Talksport in ages. Trevor Sinclair very complimentary about ETH, of course Simon Jordan had to sit there and insult ETH. That he thinks the job is too big for him because he doesn't look like Jaap Stam and sticks his chest out. A little man in a suit that's too big for him I think he said. Pillock.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Another thing: it's the first time in absolutely ages (well over a year I reckon) that we've played well in both halves of a game. Even on that winning run away from home there were halves were we were pretty horrid

Lux Thunder

There is no better game to turn a corner around than this and I'm so glad for ETH because he had to make big calls and it was not easy to do that when facing Liverpool with two defeats already. For all love I have for Ronaldo, he was one of my childhood heroes, I was really happy and excited about a game when I saw Maguire, Shaw and Ronaldo out of starting 11.

The great reaction by the player. It was really refreshing to see Malacia and Martinez playing very aggressively and alert instead of our usual passengers. Even De Gea, who I don't like, actually came a few times from the line to sweep and help defense. Have to mention Varane, great performance and he was leading a back line as I didn't see in our team for a while.

If Martial stays fit he should be our first choice #9, I was sure that his United career is over so credits to ETH because what he showed in the preseason and last night is encouraging and our attack actually looks good with him as a focal point. I hope for Rashford that this goal can bring him back to life, he was my favorite player before his massive drop in form so I would really like to see him playing confidently again.

I remember when OGS said something like no teams should run more and work harder than United, so he was also aware of these team issues. But I also remember when he tried to press PSG high first half at OT and Martial and Lingard was subbed off with injuries so if it is true in reports about us wanting both Gakpo and Antony then the club should really get it done - to play with this intensity constantly we need more numbers, especially in attack.

I also liked Eriksen's post-match interview, he actually trolled a team a little bit saying something like "it was actually good to play with players who are willing to run". Great pass from him for the first goal and a shame that his free kick didn't find a net. McTominay was present in the midfield but also delayed passes a few times and instead of progressing the ball he got caught by opponents and risk dangerous turnovers.

All in all, really hope the team can kick on from this performance and learn that you should work harder than the opponent to earn the right to win a football game. Also, this game and a few new signings should not remove focus from ongoing general unhappiness with the ownership of the club.

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 583 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 0:5 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool