PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Mon, 22 August 2022

Bulldog United

I posted in the match thread that I thought we had a chance against their midfield, but I was definitely not expecting us to bully and dominate them like that. :D

The one-time Premier COVID League champions are too good to go down though.

What a win!!
What a feeling!!
I forgot that football can feel this good. :drool:

PS: feck Liverpool.

Gordon S

So how the bloody feck do we explain this sudden rise? From the absolute shambles 7 days ago with players jogging around to this? Players running and fighting for 90 min. And it felt kind of a fair result as well. We created a number of good chances and was unlucky not to score more. Felt really good.

That being said, Liverpool does not look like worldbeaters atm. Lots of possession but lacking some quality and creativity up front.

lex talionis

We can’t play with this kind of intensity every match, but we did tonight and fully deserved the win.

I should take a look at what those lovely scousers are saying on RAWK.

wolvored

The defence won us that game and with casemiro taking mctom place we can build from the back. It was oleball counter attack for a lot of the match but the result is fantastic. Everyone was a 6 at least and the defence 8/9

M Bison

Supports
York City
The running and sprinting stats shown on about 70 mins were phenomenal, much more like it! Do we know how those stats finished?

Al-T

Gosh. ETH was hyper! Huge boost. Let's build from here. The standard required has been set.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Great Team Performance. First time in 18 months we didn't look like a bunch of individuals.

Get De Jong in that midfield with Casemiro, combine it with that attitude from today and we win most games.

Buzzing...
Add Antony and a good RB, and we look a proper team.

DarnleyDevil7

Come on!!!!

Great TEAM performance and let's hope they take some well earned confidence from this. Next game is vital. At least one more key signing and a victory next week and this season has potential.

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED :devil:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Everyone was fantastic. If I'm going to be fussy I would have liked to see De Gea come for some of those crosses at his 6 yard box but other than that it was a great game.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I was absolutely dreading this match and wouldn't have been far off giving it a miss to save myself the mental strain. What a mad result this was considering our form coming into this. Also Bruno absolutely loves having the captain's armband.

Sidenote, is it just me or is it such a united v pool thing at Old Trafford in which we end up winning that always sees us go 2-0 up and look to be capable of scoring one or two more before liverpool get one back in the last 10/15 minutes and make it a tense finale. It always happens.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
We can’t play with this kind of intensity every match, but we did tonight and fully deserved the win.

I should take a look at what those lovely scousers are saying on RAWK.
Why though? Top teams do and end games early. I think we can. Do it enough and teams will be beat before they step on the pitch.

cj_sparky

Expected nothing, worried we could be on the end of another hiding before the match.

That was fantastic, such great tenacity and spirit. Most importantly looked a team.

Loved it!:devil:

Hester_manc

Naive worked:angel:
Martinez was basically Motm, Malacia was very good
I've already admitted that myself - luckily I was wrong. If you bother to read this far back, you might as well check if I've written anything about it myself since then. I agree Malacia and Martinez were the 2 best. Malacia was my Motm.

Glorio

Very impressive performance tonight, really shocked at the transformation from the first two games.

I guess the question is, was this just a reactionary performance or is this a sign of things to come? I'm hoping for the latter but I don't think you can play with that level of intensity every week.

We still need to control games and find ways to create against teams who sit deeper which will be the real test for the team. However let's enjoy tonight, it's been a long time since we had a win against Liverpool.
That's a very valid concern, however, what makes me hopeful comes back to what ETH said about attitude. There's been an injection of new personalities, and I like what I've seen from them.

I can't see Martinez, Malacia, and when he comes in, Casemiro strolling about the pitch in any game - it's not in their nature. Add Fred (yes) to that, and that's a good number of natural fighters on the pitch - which we've sorely lacked.

Hopefully those fire up the rest like Sancho and Rashford (who worked really hard and even contested for aerial balls and won some against the CBs!!!)

::sonny::

De gea 6,5
Dalot 7.5
Varane 7.5
Martinex 8
Malacia 8
Mctominay 7
Eriksen 7
Elanga 6.5
Bruno 7.5
Sancho 8
Rashford 8
—-
Martial 7.5
Fred 7

siw2007

Wow, what a result! We deserved to win tonight and we won because we left everything out there tonight, we wanted those 3 points more than they did! Martinez was superb at the back as was Varane and Malacia. Sancho was class as was Martial when he came on, even Rashford played well once he went to the left and scored, he even won a header!!!

This is the benchmark now, we must give everything to win every game from now on, just like tonight and we can get our season back on track!!

Slevs

I've already admitted that myself - luckily I was wrong. If you bother to read this far back, you might as well check if I've written anything about it myself since then. I agree Malacia and Martinez were the 2 best. Malacia was my Motm.
Tbf I didn't, just remembered the post cause you had quoted me.
Enjoy the win, tonight we celebrate!

Cloud7

Didn’t get to watch the match but super happy about the result. Hopefully onward and upward from here

moodyred

That first 20 min. Boys played like their lives depend on it. Awesome stuff!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Defence played like a unit.
Midfield put a good shift in.
Attack was dangerous.

First time in a while it all clicked.

Slevs

Fekin hell, every minuted seem to be passing for 3 minutes. Plus I couldnt watch last 10 minutes or so, was shifting channels and was watching the result on text. :D
I swear the last 10 minutes took 25 minutes to finish.

Real Name

That's a very valid concern, however, what makes me hopeful comes back to what ETH said about attitude. There's been an injection of new personalities, and I like what I've seen from the.

I can't see Martinez, Malacia, and when he comes in, Casemiro strolling about the pitch in any game - it's not in their nature. Add Fred (yes) to that, and that's a good number of natural fighters on the pitch - which we've sorely lacked.

Hopefully those fire up the rest like Sancho and Rashford (who worked really hard and even contested for aerial balls and won some against the CBs!!!)
Exactly. New names, old ones out and it looks totally different. As it was said in other thread ETH is trying to change the base of the team and he's doing it quickly!

Glorio

Awesome! Take that fecking scourses! Couldnt watch it, so probably thats why we won. Youre welcome

Can someone please tell me if we got murdered in our building up with opposition pressing our first midfielder receiving the ball like in the last 2 matches? Did liverpool pressed our build up play? If they did, did eriksen and co suddently got better or the other players were available in the right spot? Did our goals come from counterattack?

Just trying to address our weak points in those 2 terrible initial games. Hopefully ETH is showing resilience and fixing the mistakes :D
Bypassed it by shamelessly going long each time, and it worked! :lol:

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
So how the bloody feck do we explain this sudden rise? From the absolute shambles 7 days ago with players jogging around to this? Players running and fighting for 90 min.
Form always goes out the window in these games.

Remember back when we were good, and Liverpool were shit? Feels like they always had us beat when everything pointed to us giving them a battering.

Good to repay the favour. But let's go and reverse the tables again.

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 583 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 0:5 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool