PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 December 2023

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
First time this season I am truly proud of the team - I seriously expected us to get hammered with so many players out
Reminded me a bit of that home game where we had 3 injuries in about 20mins and Rashford operating at about 20% mobility for most of the game. And still held them.

predator

Youth NITK
Defensively good. We're not as good at counter attacking under ETH than we were under Ole which is a shame as we had a few chance to score on the counter.

All in all a point is better than most expected.

massey

In the and we had some chances to even win the game, but so much lacking in quality. Liverpool were very poor. On another day we could just be beaten comfortable 2,3:0 but point is good. WOuld be good to have braver substitutions and hook McT, he§s like a cancer to any of our play, jogging off the ball too.

With Bruno think we would be more over the place but could get one for us.
Exactly this I don't see what Bruno could have done worse today than Scott just jogging around up top and losing the ball constantly atleast Bruno loses the ball and comes up with some incisive passes now and then,the defence kept us in it this game Evans and varane had stormers.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Varane out motm, Mainoo and shaw also done well. Hopefully all 3 of them get a good run in the team

Dannn411

It wasn't 7-0 and we actually got something from the game. I'm taking that all day every day.

Michael Oliver should be suspended from refereeing games for a while. Utterly incompetent.

This game proved what we all knew, we look far better defensively with two deep lying midfielders as against one. Will Ten Hag take the hint? I'm not counting on it.

Pscholes18

Stand up performance by this shit squad. Defensively sound, compact and we even had our chances to score. Well deserved point.

Oliver can feck right off.

Loon

:lol:
If he’s sent off a dipper like that, Klopp would be campaigning to get him dropped for PL games.

Oranges038

Defensively good. We're not as good at counter attacking under ETH than we were under Ole which is a shame as we had a few chance to score on the counter.

All in all a point is better than most expected.
Given what most were expecting, 0-0 is a great result.

siw2007

Doesn’t matter, which iteration of Man Utd it is, whether it is Fergies team or this rather lacklustre bunch, a point away at Anfield is a great result. Defensively, we were fantastic, the whole back 5 were excellent. Lobbied Mainoo will not play a harder fixture in his life but he was class, Antony was frustrating but he did have a good game up and down that flank. Amrabat and Hojlund, not so much, both struggled and could have been taken off.

Dalot is really unlucky. He has to take the red, you can’t keep complaining at the ref and I support that. However, it should have been our throw and I understand his reaction. Maybe the ref should have given him the yellow and leave it at that.

pauldyson1uk

That was the worst Liverpool v United game I have ever seen both teams were utter dogshit, could have played that game for a week and neither team would have scored.
Hojlund and Amrabat both 0/10 performances, not much better from the rest of the team.
Liverpool best fans in the PL , do me a favour, Anfield was like a fecking cemetery .
Shit game but I will the point, far better result than I expected.

NiceGuyEddie

Softest red I've ever seen. Oliver did his best to carry Liverpool that last 10 minutes. His paymasters will be furious as this result wasn't in their script.

Cole9

At least they put in a shift this time, but what a poor team we are. Such a lack of quality.

hobbers

Dalot, Mctominay, Amrabat, Antony all have no business being anywhere near this level of football.

But credit the keeper, centrebacks and Mainoo. They turned up.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
That’s one of the more bizarre matches I’ve watched this season. Liverpool with 34 shots but I can’t help but feel Utd should have won.

Did Dalot get his two bookings in the same incident? Seems bizarre if so. His dissent lasted about 3 seconds, I can’t see on what basis you can divide that into 2 separate offences.

Someone

Something
Embarassing performance, we were like relegation team playing at anfield. Seems all good because of how our season has been so far, for me thats how far our standards have fallen.

Wth was that red card at the end? Oliver feeling were hurt or something?
Think it's more to do with the lack of confidence reather than any tactical setup. We approached the game the right way, but kept losing the ball, and whenever we had a bit of confidence we were able to create something. At a time different time where we aren't struggling I think we would've done much better.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Added bonus by preventing Liverpool from going top.

doomy20

Red card was a joke.
Shaw hand ball can easily be a pen
Rashford is annoying

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Neville kept saying it was because Liverpool were poor but I thought finally playing two defensive mids and having a proper game plan helped. Delighted with a point and could have won that on another day

Hopefully a changing moment in our season
I always pictured Casemiro and Amrabat being water tight as 2 dms

United492

Given the team we put out, the bench we could draw on, I'll take a 0-0 at Anfield all day, especially with a newly increased capacity.

OK, we weren't bombing forward, going toe-to-toe, but given that there were a lot of predictions of an absolute pasting, that's a decent result. I'd argue we had the better chances.

We actually showed character and effort - something we've been massively lacking this season. I just hope this isn't a false dawn and that we use it as a baseline.

Chumpsbechumps

That’s one of the more bizarre matches I’ve watched this season. Liverpool with 34 shots but I can’t help but feel Utd should have won.

Did Dalot get his two bookings in the same incident? Seems bizarre if so. His dissent lasted about 3 seconds, I can’t see on what basis you can divide that into 2 separate offences.
TBF I can see how a massive w****r would give two yellows for that but I think officials are missing Casemeiro so have to make it up for other players

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Varane: world class. that simple. Evans had an excellent game and is more realiable thatn Maguire and probably lindelof too. shaw was good and I disagree with those having a go at dalot all the time. he was strong today - he's just not a very great player. good is about it.

amrabat was a worry, as with dalot, I didn't think McT was as bad as others are saying.

we could - and maybe should- have nicked it. rooney, ronalod and RvP or RvN would have nabbed at least one.
all in all, a point I was never expecting. that said liverpool were poor and arsenal will bury them if they play like that again

Red00012

How on earth could we have benched Varane when fit?
Ten hag said he can’t play left .
Played the 2nd half on the left even though Evans was alongside him who’s played his whole career on the left

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
As a neutral watching.

Solid draw by united.

Ridiculous red card but United fans shouldn't be complaining given that that can be easily a hand penalty by today's rules.

Overall Liverpool dominated the game.

united for life

Our CBs were excellent today. Varane bossed it at the back. Showed great leadership.

Mainoo, what a player. At 18, he shows so much composure and brains in that midfield. Love that we have such a talent.

forwards shite. Antony did well tracking back. But otherwise we wereN’t really good going forward:

wolvored

A better 2nd half but still awful. Evan’s Verane and Onana were the best players for us.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Tough watch, standard was really poor from both sides. Whilst the scousers dominated chances and possession, I thought we had the better chances and we looked a team low on confidence when we got those chances.

Some positives to take from the game but most of all, we got a point which is massive.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Given the team we put out, the bench we could draw on, I'll take a 0-0 at Anfield all day, especially with a newly increased capacity.

OK, we weren't bombing forward, going toe-to-toe, but given that there were a lot of predictions of an absolute pasting, that's a decent result. I'd argue we had the better chances.

We actually showed character and effort - something we've been massively lacking this season. I just hope this isn't a false dawn and that we use it as a baseline.
totally agree... a few performances like that in Europe and we'd have come second in our CL group

Revan

Assumptionman
Absolutely dogshit going forward (1 touch in opposition match during the entire first half is the worst we managed since that statistic started 14 years ago), but for once we showed some teeth and determination in defence which brought us a much-needed point.

Good results considering our history in Anfield, but it does not change much. 18 goals in 17 matches is just tragic.

Cantona in disguise

Doesn’t matter, which iteration of Man Utd it is, whether it is Fergies team or this rather lacklustre bunch, a point away at Anfield is a great result. Defensively, we were fantastic, the whole back 5 were excellent. Lobbied Mainoo will not play a harder fixture in his life but he was class, Antony was frustrating but he did have a good game up and down that flank. Amrabat and Hojlund, not so much, both struggled and could have been taken off.

Dalot is really unlucky. He has to take the red, you can’t keep complaining at the ref and I support that. However, it should have been our throw and I understand his reaction. Maybe the ref should have given him the yellow and leave it at that.
His reaction was a bit silly and deserved a yellow but 2? Never.

Given that nunez got booked then proceeded to clap and laugh at the ref it's the consistency that annoys me. I also received a 2nd yellow for stupidly clapping a ref in one of my own games so it doubly annoys me.

eire-red

Will take that result.

I'm sick of watching us being so clueless on the ball though.

Kopral Jono

You know what, we did enough to just about nick a win there (and we perhaps would have on another day). Excellent performance, especially in the second half.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think squad isn't half if the manager knows who to play. Rashford should have started behind McTominay. At least he can dribble, pass and run. I can't see what McTominay has done in 90 mins, I cannot understand why he is still at this club. I think our standard quite low to be XI for United. Hopefully, money can be better spend in the transfer window. I see 3-4 that can make us better.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 302 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Liverpool 4:0 Man Utd
  • 13% Liverpool 3:0 Man Utd