PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 10 September 2016

madRedDevil07

I thought we lost the game because of individual defensive errors. Eric and Blind were in fault for the 1st goal and Blind played Inainecho for the 2nd goal. Zlatan could/should have scored more than one.

Coxy

Mourinho was outwitted and got it wrong.

It took Guardiola seven minutes in the second half to make the kind of substitution Mourinho made at half time.

Better second half when we added an extra body in midfield, however.
Spot on.

Blue always red

God Dayum the over reaction on here is a sight to behold. Great game of football, and it's clear to anyone with half a brain that there is feck all in it. We started shockingly and that decided the game quite simply. I do think that we need someone a bit better on the right. We had a good few chances go to waste because of it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I dunno, this is how his games usually go against Pep. A few more of these and we'll start seeing Jones in midfield.

Good thing is the head to head doesn't matter as much in England compared to Spain.
A few more of these matches against City? Or in general?

To be honest having just two players in midfield really hampered us and I'm hoping that was the learning experience for Mourinho.

The thing he does need to counter is the fact that Guardiola's team always has more possession and we got knackered after 60-70 minutes.

buckooo1978

what an awful start to the game - it cost us the match in the end

Mourinho will have learned a lot about Rooney (who was better wide), Fellaini and Lingard who look good against lesser sides but just aren't that good

Jose messed up himself - Fellaini was never going to get close to De Bruyne or Silva......if you aren't going to play Schneiderlein or Carrick why not sell/retire and buy Kante - he would have been perfect today

very disappointing all over the pitch for the first half - passing dire and we looked spooked

on a positive note it was great to see the heart and fight and with the rub of the green we might have got another goal

De Bruyne man of the match and City probably shaded it

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Good game. We didn't deserve to lose imo (looking at the whole game). We should have scored in the second half.

jungledrums

Don't think the scoreline tells the whole story; we were terrible for large portions of the game. Way too open and almost always had a swarm of City players running at our back four with zero protection from midfield. Our only idea at the other end was long balls to Ibra and Fellaini.
We were 2 down in the 20th min, so that second half was all about chasing the game. That explains the holes in midfield in the second half, in the first half we were just fecking dire.

So disappointed that Mkhitaryan had a mare. Ah well, he's phenomenal and it's only up from here.

Kag

He wasn't outwitted at all. That's the kind of game everybody expected. Pep's plans were obvious, I think he even said it outright yesterday. Nobody was surprised or outwitted. On another day, De Bruyne is wasteful and Blind is a couple of yards higher and Mourinho is hailed as a tactical genius. The point is the way Mourinho likes to play is always going to leave him vulnerable to good teams, he is reactive to them and therefore it's about them. If they are good, they win.
That's rubbish. He played against a five man midfield with only Fellaini at the heart of the midfield and we were dominated in the first half because of it.

When he added Herrera then we had more control of the ball.

Guardiola immediately replied by bringing on Fernando and wrestled back some of the control.

Rory 7

Every time he picked up the ball they were kicking him, he wasn't great but it is tough to play well when the opposition are playing you like that.

They won fair and square, outplayed us the first half and made it theirs to lose. Was proud of how we came back at them in the second half though.

If that was more than a cramp for KdB City will be in a bit of trouble, he was their best player by a large margin.
I agree with this, very cynical from them. I still was disappointed with him though. There is no point starring versus Saints and going missing versus City.

Will Singh

Was happy with the line up, even though I thought rashford was unlucky not to start. At the end we were just not good enough, still work to be done.
You say "work to be done" but Citeh are in the same position as us in terms of new manager and different playing style, why do they look comfortable and we look like school kids playing with the adults at times?

Lostie007

City was without their best player and still aced it. They look like Champions even this early

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
  • City deserved the win
  • KDB and Silva are amazing
  • Pep is a still a cnut
  • :lol: Bravo :lol:
  • Why did Lingard start?
  • Mata :(

The United

What was that last 15-20 mins . LVG esque - long ball and that too shit ones . We had good players on ball and should have the tried the ground passing
LVG esque against the bottom half team away. He would do better against big teams.

Also, only LVG is nuts to play 3 5 2, putting elbow man up top and hoofing the ball all game.

Right?

ash_86

Poor setup from Mourinho in the first half. Whole world knew they would blast off in the first half, we played into their hands. Much improved second half. Better team won

Zoo

City under Guardiola are far more dislikeable. The time wasting and theatrics were ridiculous. Nolito, Bravo and Otamendi the biggest actors.

Bwuk

Soon as we changed formation we looked a lot better.

In first half we just sat and let them play, and you can't do that with the likes of De Bruyne and Silva.

Pogba anonymous.

Keenst

Great game, bad result. Ibra's missed opportunity was very annoying, he lacked urgency a few times. Pogba was totally anonymous 2nd half. City were so impressive first half but it was good to see us have the fight to come back.

Manny

Grammar Police
Disappointing right from the announcement of the teams. Mou was way to respectful too City and I think that cost us and set the tone for the game.

Played better for about 25 minutes after halftime but after that it was an absolute mess of a game.

Zlatan was carried for that second half. Offered very little outside of shots at goal. Martial needed to have been brought on sooner. Herrera and Bailly were very good though.

the hea

Nothing to do with KDB and City being very very good then?
De Bruyne was good but besides him I don't think City were that good, it was more the case of us being terrible and making them look good. In the second half when our two worst performers was taken off we looked much better and if we had started the first half with the players that started the second it would have been a different game.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One thing that's clear to see is we will be challenging for the title. Jose will have learnt from the poor start. Will be surprised if we see him do that again.

JeffBoomTetris

A lot of the blame lies with Jose himself. Terrible selection from the start. Mkhitaryan and Lingard shouldn't have started. The middle should have been packed. He was outsmarted by Pep today.

Having said that, the players were shambolic in the 1st 45. Half hearted challenges, lead footed movement and general lack of sharpness and conviction in movement and passing.

Marcelinho87

God Dayum the over reaction on here is a sight to behold. Great game of football, and it's clear to anyone with half a brain that there is feck all in it. We started shockingly and that decided the game quite simply. I do think that we need someone a bit better on the right. We had a good few chances go to waste because of it.
Agreed with all of your post but the bolded part I believe Micky can be that guy, he is adjusting and will be quality once he does so.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bit shellshocked after that first goal.

For me best performers were Shaw, Rashford, Herrera and De Gea.

Miki was the worst player on the pitch. Oh well, give him time.

Pogba and Ibra didn't do anywhere near enough.
It seemed like too big a game for his full debut to me. He's a great player though so like you said, give him time.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I never understand why Lingard in for Rushford or Martial. Martial is never productive on the right as well. Miki could have stay on the right for the 2nd half.

Nick7

That was a great match all the same. Deserved win for city on the whole. I think we were probably as good in the second half as them, maybe could've scored but they also could have. First half was a blow out though. Fortunate to go in one down and not 5.

I am however a lot happier in the loss than last season, it was nice to see the manager change things and try make a difference after realising his feck ups in the starting line up. This was not the match to start Lingard and Mkhi. Herrera was great, I think that midfield has to be the one going forward.

All in all great match, we're still a couple of steps behind the other top teams, but if we do our jobs against the smaller teams we should be in a fine position. Encouraging if disappointing.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Grim first half, disappointed with Pogba, Rooney not adding much (how many times are we going to keep saying that and managers never drop him?!... unbelievable!).

Bravo tackle decision pathetic..... studs up (Rooney had top of boot in front not studs), not in control and anywhere else on the pitch, it's a red. For those who say "he touched the ball", that's irrelevant - sure Clattenburg AND his linesman will say didn't have clear view.

Overall City deserved the win (chokes) :(

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Top 2-3 this season is the only thing United can ask for.

Short in a few areas, but I do think the game could have been 2-2 at half time, United could have won the game if they took their chances.

Peps teams will still lose against counter attacking teams and drop points, but City are favourites for the league.
I agree, they'll definitely lose points on "off days", against teams who can take advantage of all the opportunities to counter. If the keep those off days to a minimum, they'll win the league comfortably. I don't think they'll lose many matches against their closest competitors. Guardiola already has them at a higher top level than any other team in the league.

Man-United

He was shut but on City's side? Nah, if so he would have given that clear penalty on Bailly.
Yeah, I think he gave citeh every 50-50 decision. But city usually have ref's on their side. Remember Aguero not being sent off when he should have been as well.

wr8_utd

:'(
I can take the result but I'm massively disappointed with our second half tactics. Against Hull we showed we don't need to lump it up to create chances and score. The last half hour tonight reminded me of LvG era football.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 744 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 13% Man Utd 2:0 Man City