PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 10 December 2017

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Quite a few (Macari for instance) defending Rom saying a striker shouldn't be there in the first place. I'd think every player has an experience of clearing the ball and of course we use tall players defending set pieces, we did it with Zlatan all last season. And our outlets need to have pace and, more importantly, dribbling ability. Hence Martial was left up front during set pieces.
Its nonsense, most of our strikers have done it at some point.

Murray3007

Embarrassing yet again, no one willing to take responsibilty, lacked hunger and desire yet again, thought lindelof in the 2nd half was a big improvement, amazes me why teams wont have a go at city, as for Lukkaku thats is up with one of the worst performances i have ever seen from a United player, Touch, Passing, decision making is horrific and thats just the attacking side of his game, defence wise its even worse.

AshRK

Next day and still the defeat hurts. However after reading about bust ups and milk /water/what not being thrown , yesterday could just be a start of what to come. Josee likes these sort of fights and this could trigger our players when we face them in future. I really hope we face them as much as possible this season aka in league cup semis and CL. We have to respond and not just let them dominate. From now on every win counts against them. Let us make this personal and fight for the clubs pride. Real Madrid started doing that when Jose became their manager and they started dominating. We have to challenge the best and right now city are the best.

Member 85611

The Arsenal match was so much harder. Imo City were there for the taking, we were our worst enemy being so damn nervous on the ball (especially lukaku).

iKeano

It's taken me almost a full day to comprehend just how bad that first half was for all kinds of reasons. Not having Pogba is absolutely no excuse for allowing a supposed title rival to embarrassingly play us off the park, at Old Trafford, from almost the first minute. The gulf was enormous - outdated, Pulis-esque tactics lumping it up to a woefully out of form giant target man - and let's not forget we only managed a goal at the end of the half due to a defensive error from them. No shots, not even off target, at home to City for the first forty minutes.

That first half was a marker of how far we've fallen behind them sadly, in tactics, style and quality - I know throwing money at a problem is a cliched fix but that is genuinely the solution here, we do not have the calibre of players to compete with them. We need to spend an enormous amount of money on top-class players for probably four positions, while moving on some of the mediocrity amassed under Moyes and LVG.

Silva and De Bruyne allow City to dictate play and keep the ball in their possession in order to pull other top teams around and find a killer pass. We need players like them; the game has moved on - much as I like him I'm so bored after seven years of seeing the play switched to Valencia to smash it from the corner of the box. Watch how Madrid, Bayern, City, Juve, Barca, PSG keep the ball. They have much, much better players than we do. We can only be put in their bracket now because of revenue and brand recognition. You can't use the complete one-off of Leicester winning the title to excuse the state of our squad. Blind, Smalling, Lingard, Jones, Young, Fellaini, Carrick, McTominay, Darmian - none of these would get in the six teams' I just mentioned.

We literally bypassed our midfield from minute one with hoof after hoof yesterday. Shocking. Ferguson would never, ever have countenanced that kind of performance at home against a major rival. I'm saying all this as someone who wanted Mourinho after Ferguson, and as a fan of his, especially after two trophies last year. But my god we are 11 points behind City and it isn't Christmas yet, and that game showed just how far behind we are in every way. We have to address the squad in Jan and next Summer otherwise this will be the norm for many years. We will win the odd cup, and finish top four, but we won't win the league and it would take a miracle to win the Champions League.
Great post. Worryingly looking like becoming Arsenal.

Spot on. Sick of hearing these pathetic excuses from mouriniho. Lukaku is not being made a scapegoat as some have pointed out. He is a complete liability at times. His first touch for a professional footballer at the top level is quite embarrassing.
Agreed. If you're playing as a lone striker, you need to stay sharp. Had to bury that chance, absolutely had to. With that much upper-body strength, there's no way he should be beaten to so many headers and be bundled off the ball so easily. Unforgivable to cause so much havoc in his own box this week alone, and yet cause barely a ripple in teh oponents box. World class save from De Gea last Saturday 'cause Lukaku almost shinned an attempted clearence off his standing foot into the net and this week, two complete howlers. You're not that good in the air, so don't come back to try to defend at all.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Are you actually insane? 777
Never have been, never will be. Are you?

Had they not tried to score the perfect goal and walk it in in the first half they could've had 2/3. There was a very big gulf in claas otherwise you don't play that defensive at home but you just couldn't get anywhere near the ball.
What a load of bull:

First, City didnt "try to score the perfect goal". Often times City's moves broke down because United simply refused to let them shoot freely in excellent positions. Which was due to excellent defending. This is a Pep team that have won 5 of their last 6 games before facing United, with long range shots. Anyone imagining they were trying to walk the ball in the net is just either stupid or has another agenda.

Second, In the first half, they didnt have ANY clear cut chances, nor did they force any desperate last ditch challenges nor a world class save from the keeper, apart from their two gifts from set pieces. To claim "they could have had two or three" is just plain lying.

Third. Only the truly naive thinks hogging possession is the same as being a different class. It never is. The difference between both sides was luck. For 41 minutes First half , United needlessly panicked on the ball and gave City nearly all of the possesion. Yet once they stopped panicking on the ball, and played with more composure they rapidly force an error from. City to equalise. It was also during a very balanced period in the second half, that City scored off set piece mistake after a break away. United were at the time enough of a threat for Pep to go negative, bringing on a center back for a striker to switch to a 6 man midfield, including two holders, resorting to tactical fouls, wasting time in possession and playing on the break, with over 32 minutes left of play. All from a boss famed for loathing any defensive out look of play. City were any where near as dominant as some of you would have us believe, they wouldnt have ended up with 2 more shots on target than United.

I suggest you stick to getting your opinion from others and stop calling people insane for not buying into it like you do. I will not stop insisting City won the derby because they were luckier. They have been the far superior team in the league thus far, but never showed it yesterday.

Last edited:

luke511

This image summarises everything we're doing wrong in the big games at the moment.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Next day and still the defeat hurts. However after reading about bust ups and milk /water/what not being thrown , yesterday could just be a start of what to come. Josee likes these sort of fights and this could trigger our players when we face them in future. I really hope we face them as much as possible this season aka in league cup semis and CL. We have to respond and not just let them dominate. From now on every win counts against them. Let us make this personal and fight for the clubs pride. Real Madrid started doing that when Jose became their manager and they started dominating. We have to challenge the best and right now city are the best.
I agree, would like to draw them in both cups. I think they inherited very different teams, giving Pep a huge advantage (aside from the bottomless pit of cash) but it has to be said, Pep is likely the best manager in the world when it comes to top level sides.

unitedirish1985

Hard to disagree with any of that.
We got it wrong for a number of reasons
(1) Tactics were wrong. As discussed in my previous post, the long ball strategy didnt work and is monotonous. Irritating to watch it continuously happen without success and Mourinho's insistence to keep trying it.

(2) Mata should have started. Given City's players' pace negates our own guys e.g. walker, delph, sane v rashford, martial, lukaku, it was always going to be a piece of creative flair that was required to open up the city defence. Mata showed he has the capability with a deft over the top ball from inside the city penalty area that nearly led to a goal.

With the exception of Silva & normally De Bruyne (who had a poor game by his normal standards), I dont believe City are better than us man to man. You could hardly argue sane , , sterling or jesus is better than martial, rashford and lukaku and we have a better goal keeper than defence.

Lukaku is a good striker. He has lacked confidence in recent weeks to a goals drought but if you looks at the reasons by the goal drought happened , primarily a lack of service , then he cannot be vilified.

Had the aforementioned changes been employed, a more offensive tactical approach and mata starting, we could have given them a better game?

who agrees or disagrees?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Great post. I think for a good part of the match the tactics were working. I think there were opportunities we didn't take, and Jose's ideas and instructions may be partly to blame. It was a shame to concede from the corner, and you have to forgive Lukaku his feck-up. Unfortunate but these things happen. Its good to have excellent opposition, will only make the team better in the long run; in that regard you are spot on. Bring it on.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

What a load of bull:

First, City didnt "try to score the perfect goal". Often times City's moves broke down because United simply refused to let them shoot freely in excellent positions. Which was due to excellent defending. This is a Pep team that have won 5 of their last 6 games before facing United, with long range shots. Anyone imagining they were trying to walk the ball in the net is just either stupid or has another agenda.

Second, In the first half, they didnt have ANY clear cut chances, nor did they force any desperate last ditch challenges nor a world class save from the keeper, apart from their two gifts from set pieces. To claim "they could have had two or three" is just plain lying.

Third. Only the truly naive thinks hogging possession is the same as being a different class. It never is. The difference between both sides was luck. For 41 minutes First half , United needlessly panicked on the ball and gave City nearly all of the possesion. Yet once they stopped panicking on the ball, and played with more composure they rapidly force an error from. City to equalise. It was also during a very balanced period in the second half, that City scored off set piece mistake after a break away. United were at the time enough of a threat for Pep to go negative, bringing on a center back for a striker to switch to a 6 man midfield, including two holders, resorting to tactical fouls, wasting time in possession and playing on the break, with over 32 minutes left of play. All from a boss famed for loathing any defensive out look of play. City were any where near as dominant as some of you would have us believe, they wouldnt have ended up with 2 more shots on target than United.

I suggest you stick to getting your opinion from others and stop calling people insane for not buying into it like you do. I will not stop insisting City won the derby because they were luckier. They have been the far superior team in the league thus far, but never showed it yesterday.
Well said, Chief.

cyril C

Arsenal were chasing the game needed a win and was at home. City had the mentality to control the game a draw would've been fine for them they were just trying to impose themselves on you and dominate which they did. You could see they were comfortable being patient and working there chances and happy to just control the game with possession and see it out.

Had that been at there ground & had they needed to win (like you did) they looked like they had an extra gear easily to go up to.

I understand it hurts to see your main rival performing vastly superior to yourselves but if you cannot see that you two were different classes apart this weekend then nothing I can say will change that.

Was City fine with a draw? As soon as they scored 1-2, they put out Mangala for Jesus, which was effective in killing the game. During 1st half Pep was waving and even entering into Jose' box, while Jose was the calmer one, until 2nd half of course.

What hurts me was the simple mistakes that cost us the game. Had it been open play like the Chelsea loss, it would have felt better. I always feel bad about a loss, just not the Huddersfield or City kind of loss, when individual players made such simple error.

Last edited by a moderator:

IAmAWinner

We beat City 2-0 in the friendly and that at the end of the day is what counts.

cyril C

We got it wrong for a number of reasons

cc> Unfortunately I have to disagree with you on almost every line. Hope you don't find this too offensive. But argument is argument.

(1) Tactics were wrong. As discussed in my previous post, the long ball strategy didnt work and is monotonous. Irritating to watch it continuously happen without success and Mourinho's insistence to keep trying it.

cc> Long ball strategy worked against Chelsea last season. It is ugly to watch but don't judge Mourinho on his tactics. As long as it works, which scored us the equaliser, remember, then it was working

(2) Mata should have started. Given City's players' pace negates our own guys e.g. walker, delph, sane v rashford, martial, lukaku, it was always going to be a piece of creative flair that was required to open up the city defence. Mata showed he has the capability with a deft over the top ball from inside the city penalty area that nearly led to a goal.

cc> Mata should NEVER started. Mata is too slow on the ball, taking his time too much, weak on defensive duties, slow. Somehow Mata had gone backward this season with so many bad pass, which would have presented with too many counter-attack opportunities.

With the exception of Silva & normally De Bruyne (who had a poor game by his normal standards), I dont believe City are better than us man to man. You could hardly argue sane , , sterling or jesus is better than martial, rashford and lukaku and we have a better goal keeper than defence.

cc> Yes, that was my point. Sane, Sterling or Jeses might have plenty of ball but never presented real threats, compared with Arsenal game. That was my point in another thread. We contained De Bruyne and Silva to a certain extent, they have possession but no clear shot on target.

Lukaku is a good striker. He has lacked confidence in recent weeks to a goals drought but if you looks at the reasons by the goal drought happened , primarily a lack of service , then he cannot be vilified.

cc> Lukaku is low on confidence alright. He remind me of Andy Cole, who always need 5 chances before he will have 1 shot on target. Lukaku got away with his poor finishing during early part of the season, as he missed so many early opportunities. He managed to score the 3rd or 4th goal eventually, to somehow cover up his early failures. He has a lot of work to do, just don't blame others on services. In big games you only get 1-2 chances, this is the difference between good striker Vs great striker.

Had the aforementioned changes been employed, a more offensive tactical approach and mata starting, we could have given them a better game?

cc> Did Everton employ offensive tactical approach? Don't think so. Tactics and approach is different between Utd and Everton, but Everton was and is, never offensive. It is the price tag, the pressure, and expectation that is costing him, and us.

who agrees or disagrees?

Craig Ward

If the tactic was to employ Lukaku as a last ditch defender then yes it failed massively. He was their best attacker at set pieces :lol:
Lukaku failed to win the ball when he should have, that's called an individual error.

I am referring to the tactics mourinho employed to the team as a whole

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

This image summarises everything we're doing wrong in the big games at the moment.
Whilst I agree in principle, if Lukaku can't control, or hold the ball up against a 5ft 11 Otamendi to bring in the pace we have either flank in this picture, it wouldn't matter how you play. This is just is defending properly.

Get In Scholesy

I'm very depressed. If they had scored 2 well played goals I wouldn't have minded, but conceding absolute 2 shite goals like this in a big game is a crime.
I feel you. Conceding silly goals always hurts, but it's even more annoying in derby's. Only thing we can do is win our games and see where we are come the first week of January.

I have a feeling City will struggle during the Christmas period, can see the lead dwindle down to 4-7 points. Call me crazy, just a feeling.

el3mel

I feel you. Conceding silly goals always hurts, but it's even more annoying in derby's. Only thing we can do is win our games and see where we are come the first week of January.

I have a feeling City will struggle during the Christmas period, can see the lead dwindle down to 4-7 points. Call me crazy, just a feeling.
Yeah that's the only thing we can do now, keep our head down and focus on winning the next. We need a proper response from players the next games so let's see.

Andersons Dietician

Whilst I agree in principle, if Lukaku can't control, or hold the ball up against a 5ft 11 Otamendi to bring in the pace we have either flank in this picture, it wouldn't matter how you play. This is just is defending properly.
True but if you just float a high ball up that Otamendi can watch step back and take a run at it then Lukaku has no chance. Mata would stand a chance of beating Lukaku in that scenario. Ball needs to be delivered flatter for any striker to stand a chance and unfortunately we were just hoofing it out with very little finesse on it. Lindelof when he came on did try to play winnable balls up to the forwards

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

It's not beyond the realms of possibility to see them crash and burn at some point, these things happen in football all the time. As you say, all we need to do is continue to keep the pressure on by winning our own games and wait and see what transpires.

Nobody wins the title in December.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
True but if you just float a high ball up that Otamendi can watch step back and take a run at it then Lukaku has no chance. Mata would stand a chance of beating Lukaku in that scenario. Ball needs to be delivered flatter for any striker to stand a chance and unfortunately we were just hoofing it out with very little finesse on it. Lindelof when he came on did try to play winnable balls up to the forwards
Yeah I agree the quality of the ball up there was generally quite poor, but he had plenty of other times where he misjudged it, ran right under the ball and flicked it on straight down the middle to nobody. Not to mention where it took him about 10 seconds to finally get it under control and get his head up.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Was City fine with a draw? As soon as they scored 1-2, they put out Mangala for Jesus, which was effective in killing the game. During 1st half Pep was waving and even entering into Jose' box, while Jose was the calmer one, until 2nd half of course.

What hurts me was the simple mistakes that cost us the game. Had it been open play like the Chelsea loss, it would have felt better. I always feel bad about a loss, just not the Huddersfield or City kind of loss, when individual players made such simple error.
Of course they would've been it kept them 8 points clear, we know the mentality of city they play to win every game but if there was 1 game a year where they would settle for a draw this would've been it due to them literally not needing a win at all and you desperately needing it.

What a load of bull:

Fair enough I genuinely cannot think of anything to say if you think the difference between your two teams yesterday was luck and not quality.

peridigm

Despite my desire and best effort to completely shutout all post match media today I had a listen to some phone-ins on the radio. Listening to the callers you'd think we just lost a CL final or were relegated.

It was one game for feck sake. Yes it hurts. It always hurts losing to that lot. Many expected a drubbing which did not happen. We were extremely unlucky to not equalize. Ederson had no idea about the shot and rebound. Pure luck. If Lukaku had touched the ball one cm one way or the other it would have gone in. Shout for penalty as well. I think other refs may have given it.

City have one hand on the title for sure. They're a good team and deserve it even if they're a bunch of twats. We'll bounce back and go on another unbeaten run at home.

Jose does have some things to sort out. I hate to say it but this could be the cliche blessing in disguise in regards to bringing in a player or two in January. It's apparent we need an attacking midfielder. I'd be happy seeing out the rest of the season with no other changes in other positions but we need another attacking midfielder. Pogba will miss more games as will Matic. Where does that leave us? Fecked is where.

I'd like to see Lukaku rested. Not shutout, but rested. Maybe give him the starts but sub him off after 60'-70' if we're in need of a goal. I think it was wrong to bring off Lingard for Zlatan. Lingard is a runner and was our best potential for creating a goal. Yes, Zlatan helped with the build up to Lukaku's chance but when Zlatan has come on in other matches, he's pushed Lukaku away from goal.

We keep playing hoof ball because we don't have the players to go toe to toe with the likes of City in midfield. I've said it before and I say it again. We're still reliant on SAF players to start matches 5 years on. 5 fecking years! The sucking off of Pep will continue. The press love him. The slagging off of Jose will continue. The press hate him and they hate United.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A loss hasn't hurt this much for a long long time. 11 points behind. City winning every bloody game. Showing us who is boss on our own patch. Controlling the game while we hoof it. Lukaku. Our manager blames the referee. What a miserable match of football.

hubbuh

Despite my desire and best effort to completely shutout all post match media today I had a listen to some phone-ins on the radio. Listening to the callers you'd think we just lost a CL final or were relegated.

It was one game for feck sake. Yes it hurts. It always hurts losing to that lot. Many expected a drubbing which did not happen. We were extremely unlucky to not equalize. Ederson had no idea about the shot and rebound. Pure luck. If Lukaku had touched the ball one cm one way or the other it would have gone in. Shout for penalty as well. I think other refs may have given it.

City have one hand on the title for sure. They're a good team and deserve it even if they're a bunch of twats. We'll bounce back and go on another unbeaten run at home.

Jose does have some things to sort out. I hate to say it but this could be the cliche blessing in disguise in regards to bringing in a player or two in January. It's apparent we need an attacking midfielder. I'd be happy seeing out the rest of the season with no other changes in other positions but we need another attacking midfielder. Pogba will miss more games as will Matic. Where does that leave us? Fecked is where.

I'd like to see Lukaku rested. Not shutout, but rested. Maybe give him the starts but sub him off after 60'-70' if we're in need of a goal. I think it was wrong to bring off Lingard for Zlatan. Lingard is a runner and was our best potential for creating a goal. Yes, Zlatan helped with the build up to Lukaku's chance but when Zlatan has come on in other matches, he's pushed Lukaku away from goal.

We keep playing hoof ball because we don't have the players to go toe to toe with the likes of City in midfield. I've said it before and I say it again. We're still reliant on SAF players to start matches 5 years on. 5 fecking years! The sucking off of Pep will continue. The press love him. The slagging off of Jose will continue. The press hate him and they hate United.
Hard to disagree with much of that.

Shearer and lots of people in the media are talking about the gulf in quality between the two sides, but we genuinely aren't far from where we need to be. It feels cheap to point to injuries and bad luck, but my god! We finally get Pogba back for a bit, beat Arsenal away from home and score three goals in the process of doing so, and we lose him again. Add Jones, Bailly and Fellaini on top of that and we were always up against it, particularly given this is a strong City side.

Not sure what to think about Lukaku at the moment. 13 goals in 24 games is a good take but he's an extremely streaky no.9 to have leading the line. That said, he was important for 2 goals against Arsenal without actually scoring. Really tough game for him yesterday, can only hope it emits a positive response from him. Everyone noted during his interview with Henry awhile ago that he always watches his games back to see what he did right/wrong etc. Onwards and upwards for the big man, it's his debut season and these sorts of occasions + so much regular, high stakes football is new to him.

daveoliver91

My point of view after the game its quite simple and straightforward: Manchester City are in another level at the moment. We were not good enough.

Guardiola outclassed us and they totally deserved the 3 points. Obviously there is a meltdown after losing against our neighbors and seeing Rom missing plenty of chances, not moving around too much and giving one assist to a rival player.

Mourinho's excuses are not acceptable. He can't complain about the penalty because clearly it wasn't, he can't complain about losing time because he would have done the same. We need to get better, raise our confidence again (this Wednesday we have a good chance) and win some games in a row.

Can't wait to have Pogba back, we've been missing him loads when he's off.

Let's just focus on Wednesday's game and let's keep fighting! And I am not sure if we should rest Lukaku against Bournemouth.. it's a good chance for him to redeem himself and score some goalies..

tony54

My point of view after the game its quite simple and straightforward: Manchester City are in another level at the moment. We were not good enough.

Guardiola outclassed us and they totally deserved the 3 points. Obviously there is a meltdown after losing against our neighbors and seeing Rom missing plenty of chances, not moving around too much and giving one assist to a rival player.

Mourinho's excuses are not acceptable. He can't complain about the penalty because clearly it wasn't, he can't complain about losing time because he would have done the same. We need to get better, raise our confidence again (this Wednesday we have a good chance) and win some games in a row.

Can't wait to have Pogba back, we've been missing him loads when he's off.

Let's just focus on Wednesday's game and let's keep fighting! And I am not sure if we should rest Lukaku against Bournemouth.. it's a good chance for him to redeem himself and score some goalies..
I agree that Man City are at another level right now but not by much. Take away De bruyne and Silva and then they will become mortal. We have failed in getting top calibre players for too long and need to put that right now.
Also I believe Mourino is being lazy in his tactical approaches. You cant do what he is doing against the better teams and that is withdrawing into a pathetic defensive mode where the attacking teams are made to look good. How can our team expect to play good effective and entertaining football if all they are doing are recklessly hoofing the ball up front. It's totally negative football and no manager at MUtd needs to do this crap. If he doesn't curtail this negative football then he needs to move on. He has entertained me this year but many more matches like the last two will not endear him to the MU fans.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Words cannot describe how depressed I feel after yesterday.
Absolutely gutted.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
... and seeing Rom missing plenty of chances, not moving around too much and giving one assist to a rival player.
Lukaku was certainly gunning for the MOTM award.

The general gist of MUFC is that if Pogba plays, we batter teams.
If Pogba and Fellaini don't play, we limp over the line, which against the best teams, is not good enough.
Jose must buy another CM this January, to cover Pogba and Fellaini when they inevitably are not available to play.

Paul_Scholes18

Feeling totally shit. This will take sometime to deal with, but we should go out and attack Bournemouth. Need a win to move on now into a better future and hope we can play better football. We can still win all 4 titles even if well the leauge is not realistic at the moment.

nesty

A loss hasn't hurt this much for a long long time. 11 points behind. City winning every bloody game. Showing us who is boss on our own patch. Controlling the game while we hoof it. Lukaku. Our manager blames the referee. What a miserable match of football.
Pretty much this. The worry I have is the psychological impact it could have on the team. We really need to get a win next week, preferably with Lukaku scoring at least 2 goals. If he fails to do so, there will be massive pressure to drop him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This.

I was slightly confused with yesterday’s tactics in all honesty. If we were going go defensive, we should have gone in with an extra midfielder (though with all Fellaini, Carrick and Pogba out I understand our limited options there). Jose could have gone with Jones or Lindelof as DM I suppose? Either option would have been better than giving KdB and Silva the space they had and it wouldn’t have curtailed our attacking intent in the slightest - as there were was very little intent anyway.

We put out a fairly attacking lineup, yet instead of trying to play our way out and isolate our wingers against Delph and Walker, we just proceeded to hoof it straight back to City, for roughly the first 35-40 minutes or so, until we conceded. Our players looked terrified to actually try and play some football.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This is what is depressing me.
I feel miserable right now...over a damn football match!

Nobody wins the title in December.
I hear what you are saying, but to claw back 11 points is going to require all our players to hit top form AND MCFC to drop like a stone.
I can't see us clawing back an 11 point gap.
We needed the gap down to 5, yesterday.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We put out a fairly attacking lineup, yet instead of trying to play our way out and isolate our wingers against Delph and Walker, we just proceeded to hoof it straight back to City, for roughly the first 35-40 minutes or so, until we conceded. Our players looked terrified to actually try and play some football.
It was as if our players were told to keep plodding around until MCFC score.
Once they score, you may attack...which we did and we scored within 5 minutes of MCFC scoring.
Who knows what was going in their heads.
I can't believe Jose told our attackers not to attack.
And it didn't help that Lukaku had his worst game in a MUFC shirt, in a must-win game.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Did City create a better chance in the second half than the double save we made Ederson make?

red_john

Poor game for both teams. Two scrappy goals conceded. A shame our players didn't turn up as City were there for the taking.

buckooo1978

our priority to stop City was largely met as they didnt create that much and we gifted them the two goals

like against Liverpool and Chelsea and most big games last season we were cowardly and lacked the courage to challenge them....

feeling very deflated today and long term I've not a lot of confidence in Mourinho's ability to build a title winning team whilst Pep is in town

we would need a couple of world class players to rely on in attack... Mourinho isn't going to coach one out of us

NoPace

Quite a few (Macari for instance) defending Rom saying a striker shouldn't be there in the first place. I'd think every player has an experience of clearing the ball and of course we use tall players defending set pieces, we did it with Zlatan all last season. And our outlets need to have pace and, more importantly, dribbling ability. Hence Martial was left up front during set pieces.
It's nonsense. Berba and Zlatan were both very helpful at defending set pieces. When you have a tall #9 who's decent in the air you expect them to help out. Lukaku's clearance was bad. It happens.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 13% Man Utd 1:0 Man City