PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 November 2018

Andersons Dietician

Weird that Zabaletta gets what Manchester United is about. Was a good bit of conversation and that bit about Martial was funny.

doriandun

Why would people expect any different, Mourinho, can't play 4-2-3-1, because it will not give Pogba freedom, and so has to play 4-3-3 to appease, but 4-3-3 comes with it's own set of problems, as the team has no right sided forwards or wingers, and as a result Mata, Linguard and Rashford have been shoe horned there.

Centrebacks who can't defend, a right back who should be nothing more than a sqaud player.

A left back who is good going forward, but gets caught out alot, age is on his side.

It beggars belief why Fred was bought, unless Ander Herrera will not be issued with a new contract.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I know that ultimately a loss is a loss and the end result is the same. But personally i think there's ways of losing matches, and United are really fecking bad at it.

mancan92

Pretty much this.

Blaming Jose for today is laughable.
So it's laughable to blame him for putting out our least mobile midfield? He's blameless for the gutless tactics even at 2-1 down? He's blameless for playing Matic a player soo woefully out of form he cannot get a decent game.

But hey he is blameless

Snafu17

Strangling you with possession is pretty much what City does. Thought bringing on Mata into midfield was a mistake, because we lost any semblance of control we may have had before that as a result. Either way, it's obvious how far off City we are at this point and that's not really good enough.

Special mention to the City fan how pissed about with the ball, then decided to throw it, as hard as he possibly could, back onto the field, which resulted in Shaw gently catching it. What a plonker.

Foxbatt

It not getting beaten by a better side but the manner of the defeat. We have been pathetic. Yes we beat Juve but God knows how we beat them and even the winning goal was a comedy of errors by them. Today we just went there and lay down. Yes our players are not good but it was Jose who spent millions and got them too. I am sure that players like Martial, Lindelof, Shaw would play a lot better under most other managers. Even Herrera.
It was our lack of coaching or the way we play that gets me down. It seems that all we do in training is kick the ball upfield as far as they can.

Josh 76

Not surprised at all about today's result and performance. Just surprised we actually scored. City were in second gear.

bdspeedy

Beaten by perhaps the best team in the world these days, at their ground? Shocker! Too bad we looked so bad in the process. In reality, we have been shite as far back as Sir Alex's last couple of seasons. This brought back memories of a far worse thumping by citheh (1-6) in 2011.

CA1

The players and the money they have got, I thought we stayed in the game O.K.

No team in the division without State ownership would touch them in my opinion and I don't see it for the next 10 years sadly unless football makes a stand.

There was no shortage of effort, or a lack of tactics just a lack of bought quality in every position.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Think we would have made a game of it if Pogba had played and been on form. Then again they would have panned us even more if KDB was there.

Today just showed what we already know. They are better.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The players and the money they have got, I thought we stayed in the game O.K.

No team in the division without State ownership would touch them in my opinion and I don't see it for the next 10 years sadly unless football makes a stand.

There was no shortage of effort, or a lack of tactics just a lack of bought quality in every position.
People go on about the players they have bought, but they aren't all world stars. They didn't buy a DDG or Courtois, they didn't buy a Varane. They bought players who are hungry for success, they already had the basis of the team and then brought in the best coach, who spent a season getting his system into their heads and they were willing to do that for him. What happened today said everything about their foresight and our lack of it. We have been heading down this road for years, even towards the end of SAF.

Don't think the manager is good enough, but also too many players who like the publicity being a Manchester United player gives them. That is a bonus, winning trophies with style should always come first, if no trophies at least play with style.

Judas

Open to offers
City weren't all that impressive today really, for all the hype, if we'd had Pogba and a bit of luck, probably could have got another good result against them.

CA1

City weren't all that impressive today really, for all the hype, if we'd had Pogba and a bit of luck, probably could have got another good result against them.
They won't drop another point until the New Year my friend.

The league is as one sided as any league around.

I thought Mourinho and the players acquited themselves well. Our battle starts from now until New Year to see if we can get in the Top 4 mix.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This 'manner of defeat' nonsense fecking does my head in. City ARE that good. If United had been 'brave' like some numpties on here want we'd have comfortably been hit for 6 like Southampton with a back 4 like we have and De gea on an off day. I dont see what people expected from this season yet Woodward plain refused to invest to fix this squads.

Feck I wish JM would resign/be fired. So that we can get 'a brave attacking manager' and garner some right tonkings for some of yall to get it......

minoo-utd

Lads it's obvious we need 4 5 players in and about 6 players out and an attacking manager if we want to go head to head with City. Spend right not big. We need someone with a plan.

Ban

This 'manner of defeat' nonsense fecking does my head in. City ARE that good. If United had been 'brave' like some numpties on here want we'd have comfortably been hit for 6 like Southampton with a back 4 like we have and De Gea on an off day. I dont see what people expected from this season yet Woodward plain refused to invest to fix this squads.

Feck I wish JM would resign/be fired. So that we can get 'a brave attacking manager' and garner some right tonkings for some of yall to get it......
I agree I bout the second part. But the 1st, we should be brave not to let them carve us open but on the other hand not give them all the time in the world on the ball. Get in there, stuck in, try to get the ball, dont sit off.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This 'manner of defeat' nonsense fecking does my head in. City ARE that good. If United had been 'brave' like some numpties on here want we'd have comfortably been hit for 6 like Southampton with a back 4 like we have and De Gea on an off day. I dont see what people expected from this season yet Woodward plain refused to invest to fix this squads.

If we had the quality players that City had and a manager to utilise them, then why would we get a tonking? This club is based on attacking football and yes we got some beatings on the very odd occasion, usually against not particularly good sides, but we also handed a lot of tonkings out. Now we don't seem to be capable of that either, even against the so called cannon fodder sides that Liverpool and City put to the sword.

Kaj45rpm

Correct, we have bought rubbish. Too slow all over the park. Lose the ball too often and don't create chances.
The table doesn't lie and stats are absolutely shocking for a Utd team.
Mourinho has to go and a clearout of 2/3 of that team.
Nowhere near the required standard.

Web of Bissaka

Felt we could have give a better fight.

Our attack feel toothless and lose balance when Rashford is sub out -- he kept on attack, attack, attack.
After snatching one goal, we were giving them troubles with Martial attacking left and Rashford attacking right.
Then, once he's out, we only attack the left side, which MCity finds it a lot easier to defend against by putting more bodies there.

Ferguson left a team in decline. Since his departure we've had three managers and have bought poorly. The result of this is a mish mash incoherent team.

United are moving in the right direction. The important thing is to allow the club put a coherent shape on the team. This takes time.

We were over run in the middle of the pitch and City tore us apart down Youngs wing. I lost count of the amount of times players got in behind Young.

At the end of the game, If any of Uniteds legends of old had been on the pitch they would have booted Sterling into row Z , and deservedly so. Fair play to Mata for calling Sterling on the showboating.

NFM

United tried to react after getting the goal, City looked rattled for 5 mins, but they just didn't have the legs after Wednesday.
City have a settled side after spending a fortune on the players they wanted for each position. It appears they spent well over the 'legal limit' , well over £2bn.
No club run on normal commercial basis can compete with that.
United should dust themselves down after a good week overall, and try to get into top four by the New Year. United should be competing with Liverpool and Chelsea, that is who to compare our team with.
City are overdosed with money ( and probably other stimulants) , its not worth beating ourselves up with a comparison that is far from a level playing field.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I can't understand how our defence can let a player take a touch and then shoot on the 6 yard box and still have yards of space around him. Can't even call it school boy defending.
Kind of easy when closer player to you Matic is standing watching you score

RoyH1

We were outclassed big time and it goes beyond just Mourinho. We have a lot of very mediocre players in our side.

Shiva87

Was on a flight and missed this game.

I had the thing on record to watch it on a 'deferred live' basis. Google now popped the result in my face as soon as I landed. For the first time, I am glad it did.

Going by the comments here, we were shit as heck.

I guess the starting line up itself highlights our problem. Very defensive and set up to hold and score from a set piece. That is such a small team mentality.

If we won, it would be a Jose master piece. But more and more I get the feeling that it is pure simple lady luck now. The guy has no clue what he is doing and it's logical that his team has no identity.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I'm hearing this sort of thing more and more these days. It's starting to boil my blood.

Should we have gone toe to toe with them today, with this team? No of course not. Anyone who thinks we should is an idiot. That is not the debate here though.

The debate is why we do not have a team capable of going toe to toe?

This is where Jose comes into his own as a manipulator of opinion. The narrative is being bent. Now he doesn't have the team to compete with the bog boys, whilst ignoring the fact that this is his team.

Poor Jose working on a shoestring budget against the mean Spaniard that bought 4 full backs, when he is limited to only being able to spend £50m on a midfielder we don't use.

How can we compete under such circumstances? It's gotten so that we question whether we should be grateful for being mid table in these trying times.

The fact is, City are a wonderful team. Best in Europe and there is no shame in losing at their place. There is more than one way to lose a football match though.

The team that spent the most shouldn't be this much better than the team that spent the second most. It's as much Mourinhos fault as it is anyone else's, and I say this as a fan of his.

ROFLUTION

Didn't think we played bad. We managed to attack them for a good part of the game, not many teams can do that. City of course on another level at the moment.

I think we need a David Silva kind of player to bind our attack and midfield more together. Our attempts are usually from not so dangerous areas.

rooney2009

Pretty impressed with the boys Today,They played their hearts out after Juve and despite no Pogba.
It would have been nice to see Fred come on instead of Mata just for his aggression
We just seem to run out of Legs,get a proper defender and midfielder that actually tackles like Fernadinho and we will be ok

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
City being this much better than us sucks but I'm not depressed about it as such. City have state wealth and Pep Guardiola to boot. We are having our worst time as a club in like close to 30 years, if it was ever going to happen, it'll be now. I'm more humbled by Liverpool's form, Klopp is no Pep and they still have the coffers of a normal club. 2 cents.

EasyE

I think people need a little perspective. Listen we got shafted. Our game plan was horrific. However - we have just travelled to Bournemouth, Turin and then back to the best team in the country's stadium. All in a week. Meanwhile City have hosted Southampton and Shaktar at home.

ravi2

Embarrassing how far behind we are now. Heads should roll at board room level for allowing this to happen with season-on-season neglect and poor signings.
As long as Woodward is in charge nothing will ever truly change

klsv

The run that began with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and ended tonight is finally over and we did okay. So important to get the mentality right against Palace. The talk of top 4 being gone after today is stupid. If it's gone now, it wasn't on before today's match.

Don't even know what to say about the match itself. Didn't feel like the comeback was on after we got our goal. Matic really needs a break, a long one.

ravi2

Negative goal difference!

Has it ever been this bad for 12 games in?
The height of our ambition was to turn up and not get hammered , and I think we just about managed that. So not a bad day overall , Jose will be pleased enough.
We might as well be managed by Moyes at this rate, we looked exactly the same on the pitch....clueless.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Man City 3:1 Man Utd