PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 December 2019

Dansk

Anyone else think the Fred handball should have been a penalty? I'm glad the decision went our way but if it was the other way around, I'd be pretty miffed.
According to the literal laws of the game, it wasn't a penalty. Don't let your City-supporting friends sway you with their bawling.

Strelok

Rashford is on the verge of turning to some mega player.
Fred is getting better and better.
McT made older Silva invisible.
Martial scored a killer.
Shaw shut the feck of younger Silva.
James and Wan Bisaka, love them.
And above all, we beat those twats. What a day what a match :D

Reactions: SteveJ

always_hoping

The big smile on Alex Ferguson face after the match today made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

The win all the more impressive when you consider City had a day extra to prepare and didn't have a tough midweek game. Roll on the Everton game next Sunday.

Paul_Scholes18

Immense.
He was voted MotM by the fans.

My personal MotM was Fred though. He really is starting to shine.
Strange I did think Wan Bissaka struggled a lot. He made some good tackles, but Sterling also had him in his pocket for many spells.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He plays well when the rest of the team is playing well. One of his biggest issues is he isn’t much of a leader in the pitch, but if everyone around him is fighting 100% he does the same.
Yes. That is a good point. But we can't expect those around him to always be fighting like the last 2 matches. He has to do his part as well.

Decade long lurker

The whole thing looked more measured. I just hope the players can get up for lesser games and not just for derby day and Jose’s return. Special mention for Fred ,Scot mct and AWBs blocking and interceptions.

Reactions: SteveJ

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
Fantastic game! Well done to Ole and the players :devil: Like i said earlier, few additions and this team is looking good!

Okey

If there was such a thing as dangerously happy, then I'm having a severe case of it right now. Won't be needing any coffee for the night shift tonight. Proud as punch of the lads. I don't usually do the ratings stuff but if I did I would give all the boys a 10, and 11 for the coaches. Is it slowly but surely coming together? We'll see against Everton in a completely different scenario. But gosh what a win this is. Well done Ole. Well done boys. Viva United!

manunited1919

Look we’ve said that he looks out of his depth and at times he has. But it’s the quality that he has at his disposal that has let us down in the defeats. That’s not on him. That’s on Woodward and the board
I agree he doesn’t have great quality, but I don’t lay all the blame for that on Woodward and the board. Ole decided going after Maguire was more important than going after midfielders to replace Herrera and Fellaini. I suspect you may not agree with my view here, so let’s just agree to disagree on this if that’s the case.

Ole istruggling against lower quality teams is not just down to not having the right personnel, but also not having the right tactics. Ole hasn’t found yet the tactics to unlock tight defenses. The style we play is better suited for counterattacking football against top teams. That’s the real challenge for Ole and this team - finding a style and a creativity to put defending sides to the sword.

fps

I'm just fascinated by how the team will play in the next match against a team they are expected to beat.

Bobski

City could not live with Utd in that first 30, have to say that it is a major flaw in Guardiola's post Barca teams that they have been so vulnerable to the counter, the Utd front 4 killed them. Even Lingard was excellent, when his attacking partners are performing he is a very useful foil for them, just doesn't have the quality necessary to make it happen when they are struggling.

McT coming back has been huge for these 2 games, his mobility, speed and aggressive attitude means that in combination with a much improved Fred that midfield pair is highly impactful. Lindelof had one of his best games for the club as well, actually don't think there was one poor performer.

Austria-Red

Strange I did think Wan Bissaka struggled a lot. He made some good tackles, but Sterling also had him in his pocket for many spells.
Sterling got past him a few times but I think that is always inevitable against a player like him.
Overall, I would say that he had less problems with Sterling than Shaw had with Bernardo Silva.

Pavl3n

According to the literal laws of the game, it wasn't a penalty. Don't let your City-supporting friends sway you with their bawling.
What does the law say?
I'm too a bit confused how Fred's or Lindelof's handball wasn't a penalty.
I know for certain, if a handball leads to a goal, the goal would be disallowed.

hubbuh

Even though I wish we were at least top 4 already, if i'm not wrong, after this game we are undefeated in the league vs Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Leicester and City this season. Out of those games we've only lost points against Arsenal and Liverpool. 14 of 18 possible points against those teams. We're the only side who's not lost against Liverpool (and we almost grabbed all 3).

With all injuries in the squad this season that is nothing less than amazing.

The quality in this squad is very very high, the only thing we lack (and don't get me wrong, I know it's a huge piece of the puzzle) is a better way to play versus worse teams who defend like mad (and some better luck). I'm actually very happy with the team on the whole and not only because the post-derby-win feelings are overwhelming at the moment! :)
Very good post!

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
City could not live with Utd in that first 30, have to say that it is a major flaw in Guardiola's post Barca teams that they have been so vulnerable to the counter, the Utd front 4 killed them. Even Lingard was excellent, when his attacking partners are performing he is a very useful foil for them, just doesn't have the quality necessary to make it happen when they are struggling.

McT coming back has been huge for these 2 games, his mobility, speed and aggressive attitude means that in combination with a much improved Fred that midfield pair is highly impactful. Lindelof had one of his best games for the club as well, actually don't think there was one poor performer.
A constant theme around here the last months has been we need a "progressive" coach who can get us to play possession football and apparently counter attacking is just something small clubs do

Its bollocks. Pep has only ever managed teams that had the most talented players in their respective leagues, and yes they are amazing when it clicks, but its not like its superior to a good counter attacking team. Just look at Liverpool now, with a worse squad. And they are very much a counter attacking team

Gasolin

What does the law say?
I'm too a bit confused how Fred's or Lindelof's handball wasn't a penalty.
I know for certain, if a handball leads to a goal, the goal would be disallowed.
It's basically a matter of shape and extending the shape. When you defend with hands behind, even if the ball touches your hand, there's nothing you could have done so it shouldn't count. In the case of Fred, he threw his body with his hands behind, but at the contact on the floor, he protected with one arm. If we count that as penalty, then you have to get hurt to defend, which is not normal. So it shouldn't be a penalty.

Juansar_07

First 30 mins were glorious. It was proper edge of the seat stuff. The double goal cusion helped incredibly and raised our players belief further to ace the game.
A jubilant kid in me wanted us to regain the momentum akin to first half an hour at some point in the second half but that's me being too voracious.
Bit nervy towards the end but nonetheless a match with a sensational start and a gritty finish.

Sweet 3 points at the Etihad so setting aside the complains for now.

RedViv

Watched the match on phone in nashville because the pub wouldnt allow me to take my 5 year old with me, i am absolutely buzzing , what a win , incredible.

Charlie Foley

Two points against Villa and Sheffield United.

Six points against Spurs and City.

Yeah, makes perfect sense.
It kind of does. Our players are better at a style of play that requires space to run into. You get that more against better teams. Rashford and James are great counter attacking players but you can box them out. When that happens your midfield has to step up and we don’t have the players for that. However our midfielders CAN help facilitate quick transitions from defence to attack to a greater extent

Aresma7

I will agree with this when I see where we stand at the end of the season. At the moment, Ole still has to convince me that we are not a team with a niche of doing well against top teams.
So why would you not give Ole to the end of the season in the first place? We beat Chelsea 4-0 to begin with, and we were very unlucky against palace and wolves, two good teams. I mean he’s beaten Leicester and tied with Liverpool. And now beaten pep and mou.

You’re just another spoiled fan who can’t see the value of what Ole’s accomplished. Got rid of all the deadwood changed the transfer policy.. could go on.

We should have patience with this young team.

Pearl's a minger

Fantastic performance, wan bissaka mom for me, absolutely superb. Only slight negative being out muscled for the goal. Good to put the berties back in there box. And equally good to see ole acknowledge the main man at the end. Get in!!!!!!

Gasolin

It kind of does. Our players are better at a style of play that requires space to run into. You get that more against better teams. Rashford and James are great counter attacking players but you can box them out. When that happens your midfield has to step up and we don’t have the players for that. However our midfielders CAN help facilitate quick transitions from defence to attack to a greater extent
Villa and Sheffield were brain farts that should not have happened. So no, it's not normal. Next time, we will win all those games.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 50% of 531 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw