PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 January 2023

LordSpud

You know what I loved the most? Ten Hag's differences in the approach from the last game we played against them. Haaland and Foden both had hattricks that day - today they werent really in the game.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Once again Martial showed he simply hasnt got what it takes to compete in the biggest matches; he looked lost, and at times uninterested, the sooner he goes the better. Rashford, Casemiro, Malacia, Basaka, Shaw, Varane, Fernandes, Erikson, Fred and those who came on as subs all put in proper shifts, flying into tackles, blocking shots, fighting for the cause, each other and the Club....compared to their heroics Martial was woeful and ineffectual.
It’s starting to look like Wout will take his place soon. He’s the only player with no real competition for his place and it showed again today.

manufanatic

"crazy"
I don’t agree with some opinions that this was a smash and grab, first half I think we played very well, really disciplined with shape and we pressed well. Second half for 20-25 mins City got their act together and one stupid mistake cost us, some good subs by ETH got us back into it and we looked solid at the back, the transition to midfield was like night and day from previous managers. Had we taken our chances in the first half then City would have been out of it, not only that, we actually have some belief and fight in us now……Fergie esque. If this is what ETH can do with this squad and no real out and out striker……imagine what he can do with a solid number 9 and HIS squad. I knew he was the right man for the job, but I didn’t think he would make such a difference so quickly.
This isn’t Ole ball we stopped them frustrated them one shot on target. Changed the game putting Bruno in midfield and took over the game. City should have no complaints we deserved the game

tjb

What's clear is at this moment, City are the one team we would always struggle with somewhat at the moment. It felt like despite how solid and aggressive we were, we still found it hard to wrest possession from them. yes, the plan was to counter, but I'm not sure we planned to do so as much as we actually did.

The fact that despite that statement, we could look good against them and beat them bodes really well, because I don't think we'll find any other team in the world as difficult for us to play than them.

tjb

Always like wiping Pep's smirk from his face. His record against us isn't great. This felt like a genuine statement, though, that we can be as good as them. Big credit to Garnacho, for his age he has great determination and stick-with-it-ness. I had raised eyebrows when I saw the lineup, but as always I defer to the boss.
Garnacho is a bit of control away from being a really good player; that can develop very quickly too. Against Charlton, it showed what he could do with a tad bit more control in possession which I think is more of an experience factor than any technical flaw. We have a really bright future in attack

RedorDead21

Garnacho is a bit of control away from being a really good player; that can develop very quickly too. Against Charlton, it showed what he could do with a tad bit more control in possession which I think is more of an experience factor than any technical flaw. We have a really bright future in attack
How long has he got on his contract? People keep mentioning he’s of to Madrid…

el3mel

How are you feeling about the boss’ performances (& appointment) these days? I’m honestly just curious. Unless I have you confused but you had some reservations after the first, say, 10 games or so. And some points were valid. I only ask because I’ve loved this appointment from the off.
Yeah I had a problem with Ten Hag's performance and decisions in the first few months but he has been great recently. I think the improvement in the team play style and mentality started to appear before the World Cup and now I can say he really managed to transform the team. We are definitely on the right track at the moment. Hopefully we keep building on this.

crossy1686

career ending
Having rewatched the match all the people slagging off Martial don't have any clue about how the game is played. Ya he's not scoring goals at the moment but his hold up play has been excellent this season and including today, it allows us to maintain more possession than we would otherwise. Bit like how Firmino has been at times for Liverpool. Now he did have to be subbed off, he was limping around towards the end of the half and that's the real issue with him, his injury record. No doubt we need a new striker so he can just be a squad player but he contributes positively to the team when he's healthy.
:lol: He's shit mate, stop trying to make Martial happen.

sport2793

You imply I think he should be our first choice striker when I clearly say the opposite, we need a new striker in the summer (Osimhen or Kane). But for the options we have now, he's the best one for the general center forward hold up and possession play he brings.

crossy1686

career ending
You imply I think he should be our first choice striker when I clearly say the opposite, we need a new striker in the summer (Osimhen or Kane). But for the options we have now, he's the best one for the general center forward hold up and possession play he brings.
He'll never be more than a squad option for me so we agree but his wages and ego say otherwise, unless he's realised he's not as good as he thinks he is.

I don't like those names though, expensive and almost destined to flop. I heard recently that Europe isn't producing number 9's anymore, not good one's anyway, all the best up and coming number 9's are in South America so let's get down there and find one before they end up somewhere else and we're left with Kane...

SirAnderson

:lol: Get a beer and you'll be alright. I hate it when someone makes plans right after a game like that. I just want to lie on the sofa and laugh for a while.
If we lost, I would totally be trying to get my mind off it by watching a series, but this win has just been amazing.
I'm still buzzing, feeling so excited. Most definitely will be able to watch both NFL matches later, I am going to be wide awake all night. :lol:

SirAnderson

Having rewatched the match all the people slagging off Martial don't have any clue about how the game is played. Ya he's not scoring goals at the moment but his hold up play has been excellent this season and including today, it allows us to maintain more possession than we would otherwise. Bit like how Firmino has been at times for Liverpool. Now he did have to be subbed off, he was limping around towards the end of the half and that's the real issue with him, his injury record. No doubt we need a new striker so he can just be a squad player but he contributes positively to the team when he's healthy.
He's definitely not good enough to lead our line, he can have a rotational role for us if he can even stay fit, but I really hope we invest heavily in a new number 9 in the summer. We definitely can't rely on him as a starting 11.

He does have something to contribute, just not every week. Problem is, this guy struggles if he doesn't have a run of games. The shake the rust, and just when he shakes it, another injury.
So disappointing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He ain't gonna happen but he's the best option have at the moment, though Wout might change that.

His hold up play and generally being a nuisance today was fairly good, our general forward play dropped quite a bit when he went off

crossy1686

career ending
He ain't gonna happen but he's the best option have at the moment, though Wout might change that.

His hold up play and generally being a nuisance today was fairly good, our general forward play dropped quite a bit when he went off
I think Wout puts Martial on the bench, just because he has a better physically than Martial. He can barely play a game every 7 days and that's not good for us.

Red_Heisenberg

What a feeling that is. Some will see we were lucky with our first, but I couldn't give a f*ck.

At the end of the day they had one shot on target all game. We were the better team and rightfully got the 3 points. TITLE RACE ON

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think Wout puts Martial on the bench, just because he has a better physically than Martial. He can barely play a game every 7 days and that's not good for us.
For some games yes he will and in some games we'll see Martial playing instead of Rashford

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
When was the last time anyone held City to one shot on target. That is an example of how the tactics were spot on.
Southampton held them to zero shots on target midweek, but I get your point. Definitely a long time since they were neutralised so easily in a big game and especially in a derby against us.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
For some games yes he will and in some games we'll see Martial playing instead of Rashford
I actually think Martial at decent fitness level works well with Antony. See Everton for one example although they've barely played together.

For other games, I'd move Rashford right and put hin with Weghorst in the middle and Garnacho left.

andy0

Sometimes I think that about Bukayo Saka, but he seems to be doing ok

ExoduS

Great finish to the match. We didn't give them even half a chance. In the past we used to give 1-2 golden chances and usually we would concede - even to teams that are mid table.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I actually think Martial at decent fitness level works well with Antony. See Everton for one example although they've barely played together.

For other games, I'd move Rashford right and put hin with Weghorst in the middle and Garnacho left.
Rashford will get a rest at some point, and they should keep him on the left, we all know he's nowhere near as effective on the right. Garnacho can play on the right as we've already seen

Antony was a bit disappointing today, he didn't really affect anything, he didn't do anything bad but I can't recall anything really good either

abailey123

That was brilliant. What times match of the day on again?
I don’t think De Gea had a safe to make? If they’d have come away with 3 points from that I’d have been fuming.
Once we brought Alejandro on we found our shape again which we lost a little just after half time.
I thought Erik set us up perfectly, defending in a mid block, pressing at the right times, Fred with bundles of energy and sticking on KDB for the majority of the game.
Standouts for me:
Both full backs were outstanding.
Fred brilliant
Rashford superb
Dare we dream? I think we’re well in the race here.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He doesn't anticipate like good strikers do. Remember the through ball from Casemiro? It was on, Casemiro saw it, Ake saw it, and most anyone who knows the game saw it. Martial, though, didn't and was very slow to react. And there were a few other situations where he just neither anticipates the play nor reacts quick enough. I think I even heard jeers 3 times when Martial was slow to react.

andy0

MotD 10.30 pm

I've got my mum to agree I can pick her up 15 minutes early from her evening out

Ole'sattheWheel

All jokes aside about Pep's "ridiculous idea" on how to beat us at Old Trafford. What do we think that actually was going off the match?
I can't really see anything unusual about his lineup or how city were set up so I'm guessing it was all just mind games in the end?

grumpyoldgit

What I really liked, was how under Ole we'd have crumbled after City got their goal and would have conceded more

Here we dug in and got our reward. Absolutely fantastic, bar the first 20 minutes of the second half where we lost control.

Finally we have the right manager

Garnacho must be kept away from Real Madrid
How long has he got on his contract? People keep mentioning he’s of to Madrid…
Yes, this is a serious concern along with Juventus allegedly offering him a contract. Need Varane and Casemiro to keep him straightened out and hope that Ronaldo has no behind the scenes influence on him. Not confident he'll be pulling on a red shirt in eighteen months time.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Just seen the result- I’m on nights and have been in bed. My phone lit up as my mate messaged. Naturally I bounced downstairs and kissed the wife with a big smile ‘good morning my beautiful wife’. She just looked straight at me and said ‘you’ve seen the result then’

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
All jokes aside about Pep's "ridiculous idea" on how to beat us at Old Trafford. What do we think that actually was going off the match?
I can't really see anything unusual about his lineup or how city were set up so I'm guessing it was all just mind games in the end?
It was the use of an invisibility cloak, quite clearly Foden and Haaland were nowhere to be seen

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
fecking buzzing lads.

I don't really care (and by that I mean, I really bloody do) if we win the league this year because it feels like it's not far away. If we did it'd be amazing but you can see the team digging in, fighting for each other and we're genuinely very good. All credit to Erik Ten Hag, what a man.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:2 Man City