g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Middlesbrough

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 December 2016

Unmutual

Very reminiscent of the New Years Day win against Sunderland in 2003. A very old school feeling when that late winner went in.

Not the greatest performance on the day, but that's not the most important thing. The key thing is that we forced the win in a game that, over the last 3 seasons, we'd usually have let slip us by. It seems that, little by little, Mourinho is growing the necessary do-or-die attitude into this team.

Lord Zlatan

Frustrating game but a great finish. From my point of view

1. Fellaini is not a Manchester United player period. Never was and never will be. Not that lads fault, he won the lotto when we bought him and the fans should never boo him but hes too limited and needs to be moved on.
2. Smalling is not a top class center back. Too soft and has an error in him every game.
3. The mojo is back...we wouldnt have scored those two goals under Moyes or LVG. Most pleasing thing about today.
4. Zlatan is a god.
5. Martial seems to have rediscovered his mojo.
6. Our full backs are limited. Valencia stops, passes back. When he pushed on second have we created chances. Blind too slow.

Actually hoping for a City win this evening. I think we have more chance of overtaking Liverpool and anything to stop them winning the league.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
every week we play against refeering decisions as well - God ! the best league in the world - my foot.

Happy New year !!!!!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
That's why we all love football. I think I experienced every range of emotion during that 90 minutes. Fantastic!

Happy new year everybody!!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
That ref, so many mistakes that should have consequences. But what a finish! And we're getting closer to top 4

Siorac

It's been a long time since I celebrated goals as wildly as I did today. We showed great character after conceding.

Credit to Lee Mason, he did his very best to fire our players up.

Mourinho seems more invested... it feels like his own fire is back somehow.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
If we continue like this I'll start to believe there's something in it :D

I might make the thread for the Liverpool game to see what difference that makes...
I will find you and will irritate the life out of you. I will annoy you to the end of the earth. Dont you dare MR!

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Call me stupid but I would take that over a comfortable 3-0 win. That's gonna do wonders for the players' mentality; that if they keep going a goal will come.
I bloody wouldn't! The stress and anger for 85 minutes was too much for me. :lol:

When you do win in this manner it does feel so much more sweeter though.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Only way to celebrate Fergie's birthday is by giving him a comeback win showcasing the United spirit we always had under him.

Brilliant from Jose and the team.

Gatti33

That was brilliant the way we came back. Referees need to explain themselves after these kind of poor performances. It is just unacceptable for a referee to put in this performance and walk away easily after the game.
Even worse is he'll be refferring again, and most likely making the same mistakes, on the next round of fixtures!

El Zoido

Zlatan, Pogba, Mhiki, Martial, Rashford. That's a truly fantastic front line, enough to terrorise any defence. This team is good.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
fecking incredible performance. Watershed performance from Martial under Mourinho, was brilliant. And Pogba, he was absolutely world class. The work rate, playmaking, passing, all of it. The desire..... fecking immense.

But all of them really, just great. Especially the manager. His substitutions were fantastic. Fergie-esque

MattyB1986

What a game for Sir Alex's bday bet he enjoyed that in the end along with all of us.. feck me, Mason what a ref!! *sarcasm* but 3 points and we're a point off top 4 come new year!! have a good one everyone.. I'm off to get drunk.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yo Mourinho, stop being a moron and play Mata every week.
To be fair to him, it is incredibly difficult to play Mata when you have Martial and Mkhitaryan who are probably better players.

And we play better with a midfield three.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That was brilliant the way we came back. Referees need to explain themselves after these kind of poor performances. It is just unacceptable for a referee to put in this performance and walk away easily after the game.
Absolutely spot on! It was as though he had an agenda to address what he felt were decisions in our favour in the 2 away games.It was a crap performance which he will find hard to explain, but you know that they'll back him to the hilt.He'll be back reffing a another PL game next week.

nobby the legend

In a long. long time I haven't been that mad and haven't wanted so badly to crush the opponent. Well done, boys!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Pleased and relieved for the win. We just can't afford to be dropping points at home to inferior (no offence to the Midd Boro) opposition.

Very happy Martial put in a proper performance today. He really needs to keep doing that.... he's too talented and should not waste his opportunities.

Happy to see Mata as well.

Hope Pool loses and that would make it a nice end to the year:D

Triple.Threat

any other result but a win today would've been depressing, despite Lee Mason's best attempts to gift Boro a result.

JezChan

I love this game!!

Ibra, Pogba, Miki, Martial all firing today - was a delight to see.

Loved seeing the fire back in our game today, almost like we needed this sort of a win to build spirit and belief.

Shame Fellaini and Smalling got starts. Hope it's that Mou recognises that we just needed to keep Carrick fresh before West Ham.

WE ARE BACK :devil:

InfiniteBoredom

If the bald cnut doesn't get demoted to League 1 I hope Jose raises a big fecking stink, feck the consequences!

That was an amazing roller coaster! Well done to our Frenchmen.

Canuckred64

Just like the old days. Fitting comeback on Fergies 75th. Scoreline flattered Boro, legitimate goal ruled off, couple of posts, possible penalty, 4 to 1 would have been a fairer result

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In a long. long time I haven't been that mad and haven't wanted so badly to crush the opponent. Well done, boys!
I've got nothing against 'Boro since Southgate left. They played their part and it's easy to see why they are difficult to beat. That Mason played the worst part in the game is hardly their fault

Kag

Hopefully Mourinho rips into Mason. That performance should not go unnoticed just because we won.

Kaos

Jose is probably relieved he won't have to tear into the ref.

Had we lost or even drawn it would have been a messy backlash from him I think.

BIGbadBOO4

Well played today Manchester United.

Martial was fantastic throughout deserved at the very least to not only get a goal but be on the winning team. The referee was so bad I can honestly say he must be corrupt, you cannot make that many poor decisions. If we buy anyone it's someone to eventually replace Carrick we look lost at the back without him. Also Smalling should be 4th choice at the back.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Hopefully rips into Mason. That performance should not go unnoticed just because we won.
I reckon cause we won Mason will get let off easy. If we lost Mourinho would be tearing him a new arsehole.

Treble_Winning

Seriously, Mata needs to start every game.

I can't emphasise this more. He is our most under-rated player.

Martial was immense and Zlatan was his usual glorious self (what an assist). But Mata's entry into the game really gave us an extra edge and he changed the game, period.

I know we have a lot of attacking options but Mata still needs to start every game.

If you look at the second goal, he did a hell of a lot besides just the assist.

He, more than anyone, possesses the ability to unlock defences with his skill, technique and creativity.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 75% of 654 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 510 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw