PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Middlesbrough

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 December 2016

welshmanc75

Martial clear MOM. To think Sevilla think we would loan him is mental.

Less said about the ref the better, but today felt like one of those Fergie days where we would not give up.

Smalling was way off the pace, and whilst he hasnt played much, he didnt cover himself in glory. Maybe that would explain the bid for Lindelöf

carlosp

Lee Mason was probably the toughest opposition we've faced this season. He really caused us problems. There was a spell in the 2nd half we just couldn't handle him. We rallied in the 2nd half though and his resilience wore down. Martial put him on the ropes and Pogba finished him off. It's been a while since we overcame stubborn opposition like that. Emphatic stuff.
:lol:

Well written :D

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seriously, Mata needs to start every game.

I can't emphasise this more. He is our most under-rated player.

Martial was immense and Zlatan was his usual glorious self (what an assist). But Mata's entry into the game really gave us an extra edge and he changed the game, period.

I know we have a lot of attacking options but Mata still needs to start every game.

If you look at the second goal, he did a hell of a lot besides just the assist.

He, more than anyone, possesses the ability to unlock defences with his skill, technique and creativity.
And you'd drop who?

mu4c_20le

I'm honestly crying. As soon as Pogba scored and they showed Mou and then a few mins later Sir Alex I couldn't control myself. It just reminded me of the happy days. The excitement I felt today, I hadn't felt in a long long time. A comeback victory at The Theater of Dreams. Manchester United is back I tell you. We're back!
Rollercoaster of emotions. Went from shock (from not scoring, disallowed goal) to growing frustration at the ref and keeper, to despair when we went down, then the explosion of joy and excitement. Im sitting back still trying to process everything slowly.

liamp

Just put Pogba and Herrera at the base. Let Mata, Miki, Martial and Zlatan do their thing ahead of them. I don't mind Mata on the right provided he doesn't stay there during the game (Miki is more than comfortable out there).
I think that would work against the weaker teams that just sit back, but I think having that 3rd man in midfield is really crucial defensively against better teams. Having a Pogba/Herrera base also really inhibits both Pogba and Herrera, so I wonder if it ends up being a net positive.

Fingeredmouse

Martial clear MOM. To think Sevilla think we would loan him is mental.

Less said about the ref the better, but today felt like one of those Fergie days where we would not give up.

Smalling was way off the pace, and whilst he hasnt played much, he didnt cover himself in glory. Maybe that would explain the bid for Lindelöf
Smalling has been terrible for all of 2016.

Treble_Winning

any other result but a win today would've been depressing, despite Lee Mason's best attempts to gift Boro a result.
That was one of the most biased, one-sided, crooked, corrupt refereeing performances in a very long time.

It was like we were playing against 12 men!!

He tried everything he could, and VICTOR VALDES is a complete cheat, but we still prevailed.

Nonetheless, I hope that more can be done to look into referee accountability in the PL. Sometimes it just spoils the game. I know we won in the end, but he could have single-handedly affected the result. Referees should be forced to do post-match press conferences and give explanations for their decisions. The current shroud of protection over refs is just encouraging them to be crooked and biased.

Inigo Montoya

I became a United fan during the LVG era, and now I've got an idea of what it felt like when Ferguson was United coach, to come from behind late in the game and win, fantastic!
Well done. Can't be accused of being a glory hunter

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I became a United fan during the LVG era, and now I've got an idea of what it felt like when Ferguson was United coach, to come from behind late in the game and win, fantastic!
It's gonna get a lot better than this mate.
We finally have a manager worthy of succeeding Fergie and we will soon be playing in some massive games - fighting for the league and big CL games.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well what an end to the year that was!
We made it very difficult for ourselves, the referee was a lunatic but we should be beating sides like these at Old Trafford which we did.
Martial was phenomenal, back to his best, if not better than that today.
Smalling was bloody rubbish though, he should never start barring injuries I just don't see anything in him.
Some other greats performances from the team, I'm just happy for the three points. On to West Ham we need to keep going and going.

Inigo Montoya

Proud to see Martial answer in the right way.

May be the final nail for Fellaini who was poor (and I usually like him).

Thats what happens when u take a footballer out like Carrick and bring in Fellaini as an attacking midfielder over Pogba.
But we didn't....Pogba played and scored if you recall

Devil may care

Rollercoaster, I was feeling totally deflated and then suddenly elated, that was like the ghosts of the past came back to Old Trafford, magic! :D

Gause

The subs were on point, then again I think Jose rarely gets his subs wrong.

Good to see Martial finally in-tune right on time with our tempo and play style. He's got everything to be a beast in Jose's system really; pace, sharpness, cold-blooded.

AN17

Mine slightly is. Can't enjoy the win thinking of the injustice and amateurish performance from the ref. Honestly still shaking with anger at today's events.
Take relief in the progress we have made. An LVG United couldn't have dreamt of a comeback like this. We are finally getting the belief back.
Onwards and upwards.

Treble_Winning

And you'd drop who?
Herrera/Carrick and Pogba in CM.
Martial, Mata and Mhkitaryan in the attacking band of three.
Zlatan upfront.

Classic Mourinho 4-2-3-1 formation.

That will provide us with an incredible attacking threat that will give defenders nightmares.

efraim

Can't be accused of being a gloryhunter
Crikey. Well done for choosing the right team even when we were shit. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
I recently turned 18 years old. One reason why I chose United as my team, was to piss of my friend who is a Liverpool fan. Over time, for some reason I fell inlove with the club even though we played like shite. :lol:

I think it was the fans, the stadium, the passion, the history, it's hard not to like. Never regretted my decision.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If there was the remotest possibility of getting Mourinho before now, we should have done. Fantastic performance. Kudos to the team and the manager. He's ours and long may he be.

Apart from the opening few months of last season Smalling has been poor - basically for all of this year.

dakingpin1999

So so bloody happy that utd turned it around come on!!!! Never confident with smalling playing and he isn't good enough for a top team

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Lee Mason was probably the toughest opposition we've faced this season. He really caused us problems. There was a spell in the 2nd half we just couldn't handle him. We rallied in the 2nd half though and his resilience wore down. Martial put him on the ropes and Pogba finished him off. It's been a while since we overcame stubborn opposition like that. Emphatic stuff.
Sums it up. Well done.

Raw

I love the fact that we're finally able to break down teams that sit back and defend all game. I remember that being a huge issue under LVG, they'd get one counter attack and they've practically won the game.

We dominated the game and deserved a win. Boro came away from the Etihad and Emirates with a point, I think this result is pretty huge.

krazyrobus

AH is not a number 6, he lost Leadbitter for the goal. Lee Mason is a dickhead. That is all!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Great to see all of Ibra, Pogba, Martial, Mhki, Mata play well too.

It took a while for the goals, which is still an issue (terrible decisions or not), but whatever.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Like old times that was!
One of these days we are going to score 6 ,7, or more.
Delighted to see Martial score.
Keep it up.

WyoManU

So happy to get the winner even though Mason seem determined to stop us at all costs.

We have plenty of positives, but I still think there is a lot of work to do.

We need a top class LB. Herrera is not good enough in the holding role. Fellaini was never good enough but still plays. Pogba still tries to overcomplicate many situations instead of playing the simple pass. Carrick and Zlatan are almost done and need replacing. Jose is in the middle of a major transformation and should be given lots of money and time to do it.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 75% of 654 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 510 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw