FA L FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 1:1 Middlesbrough

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 February 2022

Silverman

Crap result but a few positives.
We were robbed by an obvious handball, performance was very good in the 90 mins.
Less games so we can focus more on top 4 race and Champions League.
Hope Elanga doesn't dwell on it too much.

Telsim

I'm at a loss for words. Losing on pens at home against a Championship side. Why? Why does all of this have to happen? I just don't understand. Just one break. Please...

ExoduS

Sancho scored again and we dominated the game. Sometimes this sort of result happens. Stinks when it happens to you. We will get better.

Heinzesight

Yes, we were shit, couldn’t finish, etc…but Taylor shouldn’t ref a game for a good while, yet we will still have absolute helmets claiming he’s a United fan and gives us everything. He’s a terrible ref with a fecking head like an egg.

AngliaRed

The only and I mean only plus we can take from this week and tonight is the players got some long minutes under their belt ready for a top 4 push!

Thats literally it. From top to bottom,from glazers to Greenwood via Lingard, we as a club are absolutely rock bottom.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Utd sinking to a new low. tumescent viewing as per usual.

gungho

Supposedly elite players paid thousands of pounds and worth tens of millions, can't score more than one goal against a Championship team, can't beat them... Yeah I've had enough, feck these clowns, see you next season.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I heard about this rule change prior to the season starting. Im suprised it isnt common knowledge around here.

Ref just followed the rules, the rules are shit, blame the rules not the ref.

Pathetic display around. We created some decent chances in the first half and thats about the only good thing there is to say.

Also people that think Pogba is our biggest problem really need to give their heads a wobble. He does some silly shit from time to time but he's 5 classes above McFred and the OAP.

Flexdegea

As Keane said, we could have won 4 games tonight, them they scored a handball goal.......we created that many chances just remembered Ronaldo missed a penalty as well.

Not sure what else they where meant to do. R best finisher currently suspended and doesn't look to be coming back

Godfather

Good first half. Stopped playing when Pogba came off. We are fecking crap up front.

Longshanks

Bloody magic of the bloody FA cup. Should of won comfortably missed numerous gilt edged chances, spawny goal for the underdog. It had it all unfortunately.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Jesus christ. Should have been 5 up by the 90. Just poor finishing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We should not be blaming VAR or refereeing.
The fact that we had chance after chance to win 4-1 in normal time, is what cost us.
When you can't even put the ball into an open net, you deserve to lose.
What really irritates me is that we lost to a Championship side over the course of 120 minutes. I guess that's our level.....and it sucks :mad:

littlepeasoup

Whatever, might be an unpopular opinion that isn’t emotionally based or knee-jerk, but I thought we were brilliant for the majority of that game. It’s obviously the finishing that’s killed us.

Maybe lacking a bit of sharpness from having a few weeks off, but if there isn’t a brain fart from the ref and then VAR, we win 1-0 and the narrative is completely different.

Annoying that our one viable route to silverware has been denied, but I hope tonight doesn’t dent the confidence of the players too much. Lots of work still to be done, but I’m definitely seeing improvement overall in our play, slowly but surely.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
At least Arsenal win the FA Cup now and again. We're done as a top footballing power.

And no, it's not a knee-jerk reaction. We have no youngsters and our current stars are shit and worth nothing.

Chicharo

What is even more hilarious is that their goalkeeper didn't do a shit, he didn't even save those two penalties :D
Feel sorry for Elanga...

Nevland

Class act from jonsey, first one to elanga and he played simple but decent this match, one error only after years out. He's still not 30, really hope he get to play more this season.

Chris-Red

The only and I mean only plus we can take from this week and tonight is the players got some long minutes under their belt ready for a top 4 push!

Thats literally it. From top to bottom,from glazers to Greenwood via Lingard, we as a club are absolutely rock bottom.
You think this is rock bottom?

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
How do we even end up in a shootout with Brough. We're Manchester United one of the big 6 and we can't even beat a Championship side. Absolutely ridiculous!

abailey123

VAR, Bruno missing an open goal, Ronaldo missing a pen, it really wasn’t our night was it?

SirScholes

Think we were hard done by on the handball of course, but after half time I dont believe we deserved to win based on the 2nd half and extra time. So I didnt mind losing if it means changing the players for the next game. Very few deserve to stay in. Mata made a positive difference
Mata is different breed, his ability in the ball is what we need to bringing in
Even at his age and lack of match sharpness he looked our best player

the ball he took out the air from hendo was so good

Barthez

If we had a keeper that could save penos we would be ok as our penalties are actually very good. All this having a 3rd keeper sh1t, you may as well Just sign a keeper with a penalty save CV and bring him on when required In a cup Game!!

The Dane

When you put your best team out there and you still cannot beat a Championship side over 120 minutes at home after a two week break then you are in serious trouble. It’s like this team is cursed.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As Ian Wright constantly said, one of those nights.

There were positives to take from the match and even the penalty shoot out. Disappointing to go out but let’s not go on one of those runs with zero confidence this time. It was just down to a ridiculous night in front of goal.

DavidDeSchmikes

There was some nice football, but we should have won that game long before Boro scored. Some awful finishing and decision making, didn't work Lumley enough. Pogba played well, Ronaldo is definitely taking more touches than usual

Disappointing

Irwin99

Positives- Sancho and his work rate was great. Pogba was really good. We played some decent stuff.

Negatives- our finishing from Ronaldo, Bruno and Rashford was just...:rolleyes: Where the hell were our fullbacks for the goal btw? need to see it again but it seemed like Maguire and Varane were basically on their own.

Hope Elanga is ok. Never nice to see a kid miss a penalty.

Another year without a trophy :(

DickDastardly

Bring it on!

Just bring all the shit at once.

More injuries please. Feck them all up.

Get a shooting practice till morning Ralf.
No one goes home!

Ollie Derbyshire

Good performance for about 60, lost some of the creativity when Pogba went off but still had plenty of chances to win. Keep playing that way and the chances will start going in.

I think the team is moving in the right direction irrespective of the result tonight.

nainaisson

Watching Ronaldo now must be like going to Vegas in the '70s to watch Fat Elvis and being underwhelmed. He's just not the same anymore and quite embarrassing.

MrSingh2002

Disgusting finishing.

Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, Elanga all should have easily scored.

They didn't deserve a trip to Dubai. Rotten bastards.

RedDevil@84

How’s the ref and linesman missing such an obvious handball not on the ref??
If deemed accidental, then the goal stands, if the person who did the handball did not score.

The operating word being "accidental" which means refs can make up their own s**t on what is accidental and what is deliberate.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Middlesbrough
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Middlesbrough