FA L FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 1:1 Middlesbrough

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 February 2022

Red_toad

How is this on McT and Fred??

First, you DID see a different combination. McT started with Pogba.
Second, we were dominant in the Midfield AND created chances galore.

And Maguire? He didn't put a foot wrong yesterday. The goal came, when Varane (who otherwise had a great game) was very high up the pitch but couldn't get the ball back. And then the handball.

Yesterday, loss was on Ronaldo and Bruno, and our inability to convert chances.
It’s the Caf a lot of poster just get angry at whatever a certain YouTuber tells them to.
Harry ended up in a nightmare situation with 3 Middlesbrough attackers to mark, a few of our players kinda strolled back into place and didn’t see the danger until too late.
Fred was poor when he came on, Scotty and Pogba both put in good performances, but Pogba should have been more aware of his man when they scored.
Shame we didn’t have Cavani and Jesse to call on, I’m not sure I’m a fan of players asking for time off, as rarely happened under Sir Alex unless he told the players to they needed time off.

Red_toad

"A player is considered to have made their body
unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence
of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation."
The decision to allow the goal is correct. Whatmore's body movement was perfectly natural.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules
Flapping your arms around fully extended doesn’t make anyone unnaturally bigger? Sure…..

Ixion

One of those days. Bruno's chance was the one to kill it, didn't he do something similar recently where he blasted almost an open goal against the bar after coming on?

Goal obviously should have been disallowed but it shouldn't have mattered. The shoot-out felt just like the Europa League one, I'm sure the commentator said we won the toss so that's two in a row we've decided to go second in the shoot-out? Dumb.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Nothing illustrates the decline in standards that seeing so many people happy with the performance and calling it progression after getting knocked out at home by an average championship side.

To serious football clubs knockout Cup ties are only about one thing , winning.

This progression talk is nonsense ., Could you imagine a real team like City or Liverpool talking about progress after getting knocked out by Middlesbrough. They would be too embarrassed to , but we are are beyond embarrassment at this stage. The but of everyone's football joke.
You do remember Jermaine Beckford knocking us out of the FA Cup with Leeds in 2010 right ?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It’s the Caf a lot of poster just get angry at whatever a certain YouTuber tells them to.
Harry ended up in a nightmare situation with 3 Middlesbrough attackers to mark, a few of our players kinda strolled back into place and didn’t see the danger until too late.
Fred was poor when he came on, Scotty and Pogba both put in good performances, but Pogba should have been more aware of his man when they scored.
Shame we didn’t have Cavani and Jesse to call on, I’m not sure I’m a fan of players asking for time off, as rarely happened under Sir Alex unless he told the players to they needed time off.
Sir Alex threw a boot at Beckham, legit ending him with a cut eyebrow and nobody dared say a word about it. Rangnick tries to be extra nice to players, gives them a break, only to see the asshole write on social media some unnecessarily aggressive bullshit about their head being fine.

We are so far from Sir Alex time, any comparisons are pointless.

daveskimufc

I’m actually not that disappointed

we played really well. Boro aren’t an awful team, and we dominated throughout. Finishing let us down.

you can absolutely see what pogba gives us vs Fred though

On the handball. Decision was awful but there should never have been 3 players in that much space

GueRed

Wasteful. Had enough chances to win a few games over.

And definite handball for me. Terrible decision.

POF

No im not thinking of VAR implementation. Dont put words in my mouth.

Accidental handball is something different and the exception where it doesnt get penalized applies only to attacking players. In that sense you could say theres a difference.

"An accidental handball by an attacking player or team-mate will only be penalised if it occurs immediately before a goal or a goalscoring opportunity.

If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand or arm and then scores a goal, or the ball goes to another attacking player and they immediately score, this is a handball offence.

But it is not a handball offence if after an accidental handball the ball travels some distance via a pass or a dribble, or there are several passes before the goal or goalscoring opportunity."

From the PL's site last season. All I know is I saw a segment on my Eredivisie subscription this season explaining how the rules had changed and a scenario exactly like the one today would not be disallowed. Van Basten, Gullit etc all thought it was dumb and I agreed.
You've got this completely the wrong way around mate.

What is meant here by "accidental handball" is one that would normally not be awarded. Initially, the law was, even if it was a completely incidental contact with the hand, if it led to a goal it would be disallowed. So, the awarding of handball was far more strict on attackers if it led to a goal.

But referees would go back several phases of play and disallow goals for any incidental contact with the hand.

So they softened the rule to have this more stringent handball interpretation to only relate to the goal scorer, not those involved in the build up.

So, the rules/interpretation for handball is exactly the same for an attacker as it is for any other player, except the goal scorer. For the goal scorer, they will have the goal disallowed if they touch the ball with their hand, whether it is a "normal handball" or not.

Watmore's handball would have been given anywhere else on the pitch. So, it should have been handball here.

There is no more lenient handball interpretation for "attacking handball".

It's not surprising fans and media don't understand the rule. A referee and VAR official who are paid to understand and implement the rules didn't understand it either.

Telsim

Utterly devastated after last night. Probably because I was hoping we could at least make a run in the FA cup. And it's the hope that kills you, as they say. I've come to the realization our players really just don't have what it takes to play at a high level and compete for silverware. They are either old, washed or just plain not good enough. Everyone else bar Pogba will struggle immensely to find their way into a title-winning squad.

superdry

touched by a genius
We lost but "played well" against a Championship 7th placed Middlesborough, with our best players? Congratulations! We must be on our way back to the glory days.

Of course we dominated + created a lot of chances... because–against whom? The question is - how the feck did we manage to waste it?
We played good football, more so than we have against good and bad teams in the last few years. Missing sitter after sitter was our problem, I don't think we'll ever squander that many chances again.

Oranges038

Should have battered them, but when Bruno misses, you just think it's going to be one of them nights.

Still don't understand how the rules can say that isn't handball for their goal. That aside, Luke Shaw's attempt to close the ball down was truly pathetic. Watmore strolls in at back post and nobody even kops him until the handball. All stopping and crying for handball in the middle.... ffs play to the bloody whistle you idiots.

TommyDocYears

Shaw and Jones should be ashamed of themselves letting Elanga go up for the pen when they are veterans.

yes I agree entirely- Shaw no bottle.

Mullet_Man

There was no way we were going to win this let's be honest (the cup) but the performance was decent on another day we score the pen, Bruno doesn't hit the post and we go through to the next round to be knocked out by city or Chelsea ☹

grahamo

Oh well.... until next year! Good luck boro but I have a sneaky feeling You used up all Your luck last night and will be well beaten in the next round by a lower league team. U jammy cnuts!

Resch

That poisonous 37 year old played 120 minutes tonight, while one of the other forwards was occupied meeting with his lawyers, another one is getting his head together and the 3rd is taking a few extra days off in Uruguay.
The best striker does not help, if he makes the team worse!

Litch

Fred was poor when he came on? Didn’t he create 2 headers which the kid should have scored from. I know Fred is just one of those players that like some of those YouTube fan forums default to ‘he’s shit’ but to suggest he was poor when he came on is def just an agenda.

Ixion

I'm sure I remember Shaw taking a decent penalty, I had him down for taking one of the first 5, surprised he didn't take one.

vanderpants

As the saying goes, same shit different day. Most utd fans I talk to said they wouldn't be surprised if we got beat. Our only chance of silverware gone, how the mighty have fallen.......

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
There was definitely some improvement there. We were clearly passing the ball quicker and turning over faster which was helping us create more, which all seems very inline with what we know about Rangnick… but as others have said, we were playing a midtable Championship side at home with our first XI… sure these things happen from time to time, but they seem to happen to us A LOT.

At the end of the day Boro we’re always going to need a bit of luck to win… they got that. Our job was to make it insignificant, which we utterly failed.

We also looked knackered after 65 minutes, and the quality of our bench is now pretty terrible.

Gazautd18

Was livid last night and managed to calm down a bit.
Let's have it straight though.
There was no way we were winning this competition.
Have to now go another season of backing an underdog until they get knocked out and hoping it's not one of City. Chelsea or Liverpool in the final.
Cheers lads!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Enjoyed a lot about how we played, there was more movement and faster pace, especially in the first half. Bad finishing did for us and a stupid handball rule.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Really gutted to go out, but football is ruthless and you have to take your chances. Deserved to go out.

Handball was obviously a disgusting joke of a decision, a defender does that and Taylor would be at the screen pointing to the spot.

Really like Varane, so composed.

Worrying how off our feet the players looked in the second half and extra time, hoping playing extra time at least helps with developing good fitness.

DomesticTadpole

So a keeper on 100k who wants to be number 1 for us couldn’t stop one single penalty…….

I am not blaming him only but this is the state of our club…. Stop blaming ref for once decision….. it’s a bloody championship side for god sake…. Even with 10 men, we should be smashing them…
Forget the penalty shootout, it was the 90 minutes that did for us, 30 chances and one goal needs to be looked at. As I said elsewhere it is the forward line who need to look at themselves.

mk7

Just watched the highlights.

This loss is solely down to players thinking they're the dogs bollocks and showed no respect to the opposition. Enough of the ball was retained and enough chances were created to win each half 2 nil.

This is down to the mentality of the players, its no coincidence that we've been done by most of the so called easy opponents. From the start they started fannying about trying to score worldies, players can do this when they're 3 nil up and not otherwise.

There is no easy fix, we simply need to get rid of players with a bad attitude in the summer.
It is really striking that we constantly struggle against teams that play with some grit. As if getting stuck in was beneath the players. There were some great combinations going on yesterday but our finishing was beyond abysmal. Especially for Ronaldo nothing seems to right at the moment. Every pass under or overhit, the first touch off etc .... It's really criminal that we have loaned out all attacking options or gave them extra time off (in case of Lingard it seems to have killed off the leaks, so good thing in disguise actually).

I have to admit that I do not get the purpose of Shaw. He has had the most touches, was constantly going forward but every cross was sh*t, he does not pick out good passes, has no good overlapping movement. He is a physical monster obviously but as soon as football comes into the equation he is quite mediocre.

DomesticTadpole

Bruno missing an open goal. ronaldo missing a penalty. Hit the bar.

Just one of those nights. Really should have won this comfortably.

Maybe to be critical some of the attackers were greedy. Shooting when they should pass.
There were too many trying to score from impossible angles and just putting it into the side netting.

DomesticTadpole

It is really striking that we constantly struggle against teams that play with some grit. As if getting stuck in was beneath the players. There were some great combinations going on yesterday but our finishing was beyond abysmal. Especially for Ronaldo nothing seems to right at the moment. Every pass under or overhit, the first touch off etc .... It's really criminal that we have loaned out all attacking options or gave them extra time off (in case of Lingard it seems to have killed off the leaks, so good thing in disguise actually).

I have to admit that I do not get the purpose of Shaw. He has had the most touches, was constantly going forward but every cross was sh*t, he does not pick out good passes, has no good overlapping movement. He is a physical monster obviously but as soon as football comes into the equation he is quite mediocre.
Think Sancho was getting frustrated at times that Luke did not make himself available for an overlapping pass.

The Hilton

One of those days. Bruno's chance was the one to kill it, didn't he do something similar recently where he blasted almost an open goal against the bar after coming on?

Goal obviously should have been disallowed but it shouldn't have mattered. The shoot-out felt just like the Europa League one, I'm sure the commentator said we won the toss so that's two in a row we've decided to go second in the shoot-out? Dumb.
Yeah this is pretty much it, it was obvious as soon as Ronnie missed the penalty that we were going to lose on penalties after a hilariously one sided match, that their goal involved a rugby style catch for the assist only added to the certainty.

DomesticTadpole

I swear there must be some people who watched a completely different match or something. We were pretty good for the majority of the game and Boro was nullified for the most part.

The finishing was an abomination though. Horribly wasteful and even the most ABU of spectators will acknowledge that we should have won.

This game is truly one of those ‘shit happens’ games. We did not look clueless and play zombie football for 2 hours like we may have done in previous years. We have made progress.
People having a go at Varane, up to the handball goal he was immaculate, read the game beautifully and constantly playing out from the back with east. If that goal had been disallowed, sorry it should have been, nobody would slagging him off.

Bestofthebest

Doubt we will see another handball like that allowed again this season, possibly ever. Who on earth thinks these rules up and have they ever played football?

pascell

Think Sancho was getting frustrated at times that Luke did not make himself available for an overlapping pass.
I was shouted at shaw for not doing this when on the game last night. Constantly leaving Sancho 2v1/3v1, he's such a lazy fecker Shaw. Just when Sancho was gaining momentum after scoring and looking dangerous.

DomesticTadpole

There is nothing like "we should have won". Chances mean nothing. What is the difference if you hit the post or not shoot at all? Goals are all that matters and what separate winners from losers. Rest is statistics.
From 30 chances you shouldn't only have one goal.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Middlesbrough win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Middlesbrough
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Middlesbrough