PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2023

dogwithabone

How depressing was that. Gutless, spineless, hopeless. I’ve backed ten Hag but not so sure after that, the lack of desire and fight was telling.

I think Maguire had a good game and it just goes to show how fickle we are. There was a time {not long ago) when the consensus was that he was a clown, a liability, and at best an embarrassment. The fact is that we have a more than a decent team, but atm our manager is not getting the best out of them, too many are well below their best. Southgate really rates Maguire and perhaps there is good reason for it, we should consider why. For my money he should be given the captaincy back and encouraged to find the form that made us buy him in the first place.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you. I still think Maguire isn’t good enough and needs moving on.

Ceteris

Are PSG still interested in Rashford? Got a plane ticket ready for him.

Anyone can be out of form but effort is non-negotiable.

As for Erik, if I knew what he was trying to do then at least I can back it, but there's nothing to back

No style of play, we don't seem to have any tactics.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That was at home, when Liverpool were also awful by the way. We have had away games like today throughout Ten Hags tenure.
Hmmm I don't know about Liverpool being awfulI, I think they came just expecting the 3 points. I guess my point is on the day we fought for the win from minute 1 to 90. We weren't bullied, we weren't second to every ball, it was a team performance.

Let's not forget, the new media darlings in Newcastle are still missing a fair few players, yet they could still raise their game by a considerable level above ours.

I genuinely don't know if its because certain players have outstayed various managers (Rashford) or if its on ETH. This Utd team really is an enigma

RedDevilRoshi

Didn’t watch the game as was too busy booking my travel and accommodations for the Euros in Germany and tbf, I’m glad I missed this game.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
How depressing was that. Gutless, spineless, hopeless. I’ve backed ten Hag but not so sure after that, the lack of desire and fight was telling.
The barcodes had an abundance or running, fight and desire. We had zero. Says it all.

KeanoMagicHat

I think Maguire had a good game and it just goes to show how fickle we are. There was a time {not long ago) when the consensus was that he was a clown, a liability, and at best an embarrassment. The fact is that we have a more than a decent team, but atm our manager is not getting the best out of them, too many are well below their best. Southgate really rates Maguire and perhaps there is good reason for it, we should consider why. For my money he should be given the captaincy back and encouraged to find the form that made us buy him in the first place.
Nah Maguire isn’t good enough imo but he at least cares which stands out in a team with players who don’t.

Woodzy

ETH post-match interview the worst I’ve ever seen from him. Very flat and dejected, he knows his time is up I reckon.

downunder red

Playing Rashford is going to lose his job.
Plus the audacity of Rashford to throw his gloves and show his disagreement of getting subbed. The guy is a tripper.

NiceGuyEddie

Newcastle as a team and club looked fired up for it. Most of our players looked as though they were just collecting another fat paycheque.

Litch

There is a Frankie de Jong-shaped hole in our team, and EtH refuses to acknowledge it. He sets us out like we have FdJ and then we play like this.
Honestly even if FdJ was playing, the CDM at utd is left out to dry with so much ground to cover he'd be accused of also being shit, legs gone or a waste of money.
People couldnt wait to see the back of McFred and this is absolutely worst.

BestRed

Excluding Maguire, Shaw & Mainoo, the rest and none more so than Martial & Rashford should be embarrassed to collect their wages after that joke of a performance. Out run & out fought all over the pitch.

Ludens the Red

A few posters were telling me the other day Newcastle are defensive and negative. I mean it was clear at the time it was one of the dumbest things posted on here but anyway..

58-42 possession
22-8 shots

Also had the good old eye test.

Game went about as expected. Typical clueless Ten Hag set up. Plays against a physical and extremely hard working side so starts two players in the forward line with the workrate of slugs. Leaves an 18 year old midfielder alone in midfield.

It is beyond embarrassing at this stage how clueless he is. And then he doesn’t even change it at half time.

Anyway: he’ll be gone by end of the year and that at least gives me hope.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Playing Rashford is going to lose his job.
Plus the audacity of Rashford to throw his gloves and show his disagreement of getting subbed. The guy is a tripper.
No, he was twice the player that Rashford was today

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I found it very one-sided. You will have to improve a lot in terms of energy, effort and passion to avoid a pasting at Liverpool. There is some quality there, but when you’ve got Rashford jogging around completely disinterested you’re playing with ten men, and have lost probably your best attacking outlet.

Astonishing how poor the body language was from the start from a number of your players. Rashford, McTominay, Wan-Bissaka, Martial all looked miles off it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Should have done anything to get Kim Min Jae. Not bought Mount.

The waste of money in recent years is ridiculous.

I do think when Casemiro is back, it’ll help but the only way you get a strong mentality is by enforcing it every time and dropping players who don’t do it. Newcastle played same eleven as mid week and looked miles sharper… that’s just basics.

No idea why he thinks so little about Pellistri. If not going to play, loan/sell him.

Just a fecking mess.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
A few posters were telling me the other day Newcastle are defensive and negative. I mean it was clear at the time it was one of the dumbest things posted on here but anyway..
That was a weird exchange in that thread. Eddie Howe has never been a negative manager.

RedStarUnited

Hmmm I don't know about Liverpool being awfulI, I think they came just expecting the 3 points. I guess my point is on the day we fought for the win from minute 1 to 90. We weren't bullied, we weren't second to every ball, it was a team performance.

Let's not forget, the new media darlings in Newcastle are still missing a fair few players, yet they could still raise their game by a considerable level above ours.

I genuinely don't know if its because certain players have outstayed various managers (Rashford) or if its on ETH. This Utd team really is an enigma
I know what you are saying and im not disagreeing with it. Im just saying that we tend to play with passion etc at home its these away games that our lack of control really comes to bite us.

And Liverpool came into that match without a win too. They went on to start the season very badly by their recent standards hence why they are in Europa this season.

IrishMcD

Should have done anything to get Kim Min Jae. Not bought Mount.

The waste of money in recent years is ridiculous.

I do think when Casemiro is back, it’ll help but the only way you get a strong mentality is by enforcing it every time and dropping players who don’t do it. Newcastle played same eleven as mid week and looked miles sharper… that’s just basics.

No idea why he thinks so little about Pellistri. If not going to play, loan/sell him.

Just a fecking mess.
Couldn’t agree more. Said it in the summer when the links first started to become serious, whoever suggested Mount and whoever signed off on it deserves to be fired out of a cannon. Crazy decision.

IrishMcD

Excluding Maguire, Shaw & Mainoo, the rest and none more so than Martial & Rashford should be embarrassed to collect their wages after that joke of a performance. Out run & out fought all over the pitch.
I’d add McT to Rashford and martial. The pretend hardman lost every aerial duel and pulled out of so many tackles. An embarrassment

Judas

Open to offers
We create so little, have no control and have so little fight and the needed desire that you'd expect from a top level team. It's just so grim. Near enough every league game we're going through the motions and look like a team desperate for the final whistle.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We just couldn’t cope with historical, unprecedented amount of injuries. I bet if Newcastle had as many injuries, they would have lost 5-0 tonight.

The Dane

The bookmakers have Chelsea as favourites on Wednesday, I think that says it all about our current state.

G-manc

2023 has been awful and that might well be the worst of the lot - lost every 50-50 to a team that were on their knees physically a few days ago.

We are an awful watch - no pace, no movement, no patterns or plan but worst of all, no fight.

Amongst all his inane drivel, McCoist was right - there’s a way to lose a game.

Absolutely sick of Dalot, AWB, etc. just can’t be trusted to string a few decent games in a row - any of them.

We are awful to watch, no

Nogbadthebad

Have to give Maguire credit.

I thought he was done as a player. He's still not good enough if we actually want to win things, but hes currently the best in the club in his position.

As for the rest? We are a club that doesn;t value winning. not from the owners, not from senior management, its all about business deals and nothing else.

That attitude seeps through a club and poisons everything. Which is why good players come here, turn to shite, leave and come good again.

Until glazers go, things cannot and will not get better.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 67% of 236 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 258 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw