PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2023

Wing Attack Plan R

Ten Hag will be gone in the winter break. Boxing Day new manager bounce. I am so disappointed in Ten Hag. I believed his philosophy, his speeches, his standards that he demanded, I back him in slinging out Ronolad and Snacho (so I support his disciplinary standards), but tactically this is amateur stuff.

Players are not only underperforming but playing like they aren't even professional, and he still plays them the next game. What in the flying feck.

It's like we will never have our first-choice starting XI, and if that is the only condition under which this team can execute a ten Hag -style mission brief, then why are we bothering? Whatever ten Hag is doing it isn't working. If we turn in another performance as flaccid as this one during the next 4 match period, he will be gone, and no one will miss him.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I found it very one-sided. You will have to improve a lot in terms of energy, effort and passion to avoid a pasting at Liverpool. There is some quality there, but when you’ve got Rashford jogging around completely disinterested you’re playing with ten men, and have lost probably your best attacking outlet.

Astonishing how poor the body language was from the start from a number of your players. Rashford, McTominay, Wan-Bissaka, Martial all looked miles off it.
All of this.

We see it, just don’t know why Ten Hag doesn’t (in terms of dropping them or subbing them).

We’re a car crash of a club/team now and need drastic changes. Too timid, on and off the pitch… lost basic values.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think Maguire had a good game and it just goes to show how fickle we are. There was a time {not long ago) when the consensus was that he was a clown, a liability, and at best an embarrassment. The fact is that we have a more than a decent team, but atm our manager is not getting the best out of them, too many are well below their best. Southgate really rates Maguire and perhaps there is good reason for it, we should consider why. For my money he should be given the captaincy back and encouraged to find the form that made us buy him in the first place.
Thought Maguire was poor tonight myself after a good run of recent games.

justsomebloke

Same story again. Five games against strong teams, five times just outclassed. And not because of lack of application or because we had a bad night or because we played very badly - no, we're just not as good as the other team. We can't control the game, can't limit their chance creation much, can't create much ourselves, don't win most duels, aren't first to loose balls. We're just not as good as they are. This must be what it feels like to be Wolves, or West Ham. That's what we are, for this whole season.

Bruno had an immense first half, both ends of the pitch. But not much of a second. Mainoo again made the right choices and executed well almost every time he had the ball, but he just can't impose himself that much on a game like this, against such an aggressive, well-organised and physically strong side. Shaw and Maguire deserve credit for getting in the way of almost everything and defending the box really, really well. Rashford was awful and Wan-Bissaka too, Martial contributes nothing, and McTominay is a midfield void. Garnacho just disappears when he gets nothing to work with. I thought Dalot did ok.

It's becoming more and more difficult not to see our trouble as at least partially an issue of style, of the manager's choices. We're playing chaos pilot football, and seemingly by choice. I am losing confidence in where we're headed.

Ted Lasso

Obscene that there isn't more furor over this select group of players that are rotten to the core

Todd

Expected result. The only surprise is that it was only 1-0. They probably should've had at least 3.

davidmichael

Reality is though ETH has no one to blame but himself as HE picks the team and HE is the one that’s picked Martial for the past two games, if ETH doesn’t know enough about Martial after a season and a half then that’s on him as Martial will continue being the same Martial we’ve seen and known for the past 4-5 years.

You can’t pay £60+ million on Hojlund then decide not to play him and pick Martial knowing what we all do about Martial then be annoyed it’s turned out exactly like we all know it’s going to turn out, I’d honestly rather we played McNeil or Hugill or even Rooney’s kid over Martial.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Our players love knocking it long to Garnacho for some reason. Do they think he's 6ft5 or something?

Zed 101

So poor I really do not see a way forward, we should be languishing at the foot of the table it is a miracle that we are not, without the luck continuing we willbe fighting relegation at the end of the season, shambolic

Maniron

We just couldn’t cope with historical, unprecedented amount of injuries. I bet if Newcastle had as many injuries, they would have lost 5-0 tonight.
Obscene that there isn't more furor over this select group of players that are rotten to the core
I don't think we are rotten to the core, we are just not goods enough

Chumpsbechumps

Who’d of thought a bunch of players who have been f**king cowards and lazy f**ks would get another manager the sack.

Regardless of ETH future; I’m sick of unprofessional chancers stealing a leaving at United. Some United players are just shameful

galwayfa

The two Newcastle full backs at combined cost of roughly 62m would make immensely improve us

Bondi77

At training it is all smiles and jokes and yet when it comes to Matchday this lot shit their pants when the tempo is turned up and the challenges come in.
Kobbie and Luke are the only ones that can keep good technique when the tempo is turned up and actually control the ball and find their teammates.

BorisManUtd

Newcastle absolutely dominated for 80 minutes, after that could've even equalized but that wouldn't change our feelings about the performance. Well done to Newcastle fans on here.

Another loss to a team in top half of the table and now we've got to play Chelsea, Villa and Liverpool. Yikes.

sdb4884

Expected to lose 3-1 or something like that, loss wasn't surprising & neither was the way we lost. Ten Hag's transfers, tactics & team selection are terrible & he's run out of time. He needs to be moved on & we need a complete reshuffle for the squad in the transfer window. Players out & players in.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Tell you what, Rashford and Martial were disgraceful with their tracking back. But Garnacho was just as bad as them after seeing MOTD. Kept losing his man and lost Trippier for the goal

Zed 101

I am not convinced it is laziness, or lack of effort, Rashford yes, and well Martial yes but normal for him anyway... I just think this is ineptitude, tactics, training, team selection, we need to have 2 sitting mids to stop teams just running straight through us, get back to basics, bloody Alardyce would have this team better in a week, ETH has no ability to adapt, it is one formation, one style, one plan..... this team is crying out for back to basics keep it solid and work from there..... Ole had the right idea when he first came, we have pace to burn, defend deep , solid and tight then break out, this team is not capable of 60+% possession football, a great manager identifies the strengths and weaknesses of his players and works out how to get the best out of them, ETH is clueless

sdb4884

Like Lingard & De Gea I really don't see any side going in for Martial when he leaves United in the summer, I don't think we'd have many takers for Rashford either given the wages he's on too.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Just seen the result, missed it completely as I was at the snooker semi final. I got offered a ticket for this Newcastle game and judging by the comments here I made a wise decision to stick with the snooker.

Shanghai Red

Actually, I thought that amongst the mediocrity, there were some real positives. Maguire was outstanding and Shaw looked good - the defence is much better with him in it. On the negative side, I thought Bruno was poor again against a better team, Garnacho is little more than a decent prospect and there is nothing more to say about Martial and Rashford. Unfortunately, I don’t think that Hojiland is going to be the answer. He’ll score goals somewhere, but not at the highest level. We have a number of tough games coming up and whilst we can dispatch cannon fodder sides, we just are not good enough to take on the top sides. It’s looking like it’ll be a tricky December.

Camilo

Can we get top 4 with negative goal difference? Surely that's the aim here.

Ten Hag is clueless clearly. fecking shambles of a team. No idea what's going on in training, but presumably it's everyone taking turns massaging a naked Erik.

Woodzy

It’s mental that not a single ETH signed outfield player started this game. The complete lack of progress we have made is baffling.

In fact, 5 of those that started played for us under Mourinho.

Neo_Mufc

Rather take a cheese grater to the nuts than watch that again.

Maniron

Excluding Maguire, Shaw & Mainoo, the rest and none more so than Martial & Rashford should be embarrassed to collect their wages after that joke of a performance. Out run & out fought all over the pitch.
Out fought is down to the players. out thought is down to the manager

JediSith

Newcastle outplayed us. Nothing ETH did would have likely changed anything but would have preferred if he made the two obvious changes before Newscastle scored.. also bring on Amrabat earlier.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We have injuries so we play bad. Once Martinez, Shaw, Malacia will be back, we will play excellent football. Injuries affect the way you play. Ignore Newcastle, they are irrelevant. If there were no injuries, we would have been fighting for the title and would have progresses easily to the next round of UCL.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 67% of 236 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 258 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw