FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Newport County 2:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 January 2024

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Overall a pretty dreadful game but at least we got the win. The amount of times we handled the ball like a live grenade inside the area must be some sort of record.

Siorac

On the one hand, it was a fun game, I certainly enjoyed the chaos.

On the other hand, what is essentially our strongest XI struggled quite a bit against a League 2 side.

BuzzKillington

Don’t think he touched it anywhere near enough. Shaw, Martinez and Bruno the only players who played well. Antony at least padded the stats but him and Garnacho hurt us today.
I kinda agree with you in that I’d like to see him impose himself on games more. But he’s young, and that’s going to come.

bstb3

Job done. We make it harder than it needs to be by not taking our chances, but didn't actually play that badly in the main. Slack for the second goal of course, but first goal for Mainoo, another for Hojlund, Antony getting off the mark. These types of games can be notorious, we've all seen the cup giant slayings in the past. It's football and it can happen - but we didn't allow it to. Fair play for that.

90 + 5min

The only thing that was quality was home ground. I love playing at small grounds.
We took this as preseason game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I kinda agree with you in that I’d like to see him impose himself on games more. But he’s young, and that’s going to come.
Yeh I agree overall. He’s one of the few players I enjoy watching play and he’s a top talent. That is his biggest issue to rectify at the moment though. Needs to be getting triple the amount of touches he’s currently getting. Part of it could be the system failures too though.

red.knight

It's the magic of the FA cup. The result is always more important than the performance in the cup.

redom

Glad Antony and Mainoo got their first goals of the season and Rasmus keeps his goals ticking over, just have to see where the rest of the season takes us but it's probably fair to say there aren't any great expectations as we still have all the same issues.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Antony's goal was quality, quick reaction and made it count. Also an assist. Credit where credit's due.
Yep credit for that, but you’d expect a top player to bury 3-4 with the chances he had today. Nowhere near good enough currently.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Casemiro looked off the pace against Newport County. That's kind of terrifying.

Withnail

Same old same old.

Shit ourselves when any kind of opposition score a goal.

No response from ten Hag when they changed formation and picked things after their lucky goal.

We got through it due to the gap in quality but nothing to be optimistic about in that performance.

DON’T PANIC ™

Pre-kickoff , I thought this was our best team apart from Antony.

Disappointing performance. For all their ability, Garnacho & Bruno are so wasteful.
Casemiro is clearly rusty, or past it, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.
We desperately need wingers who can deliver crosses and/or pick the right pass at the right time for Hojlund.

Baneofthegame

Only people I really want to keep from the starting eleven is Mainoo, Martinez, Shaw l, Garnacho and Hojlund to be honest.

Tiber

Hope we don't face a league 1 giant in the next round

siw2007

4 goals and job done. Well done to Newport for making a game of it, but from our part I felt that it was avoidable. We worked hard and were professional; we actually played quite well for long periods; but we engaged their defence on so many occasions and even though we scored 4 times, we got very little from it. Hojlund scored with his only shot, but we should be able to create 3 or 4 good chances for him tonight. I think this is why we made it harder than it should have been.

Still, through to the next round, onwards and upwards.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not sure what Danny Murphy was watching, but Mainoo was comfortably the best United player on the pitch IMHO. I genuinely enjoy watching him play.
Mainoo was good but Bruno was as well and he was involved in most of the chances we created

Castia

Crap aren’t we

2 weeks on the training ground for that shite?

Orange Tree

Even against a league 2 team, I still don't see a resemblance of a good team.

KevinJoh

This has nothing to do with players honestly. This is tactical problem, TH is stubborn with his setup that is not working even against teams bad like Newport. Adding too many players upfront when in possession, decreasing space for runs and just moving ball around. At the same time we are always open in the midfield and every time we lose the ball, there is a huge chance that rival will come in shooting position. At this point it is ridiculous as even Newport easily break the lines against us. It is also obvious that in final third our players have no idea where other players are and where they should pass the ball. When they have the ball in their feet they just look around to find some solution, while all players are standing around in their position. From that they can not even go in defensive transition, so defending side has a few seconds advantage in transition.

Also, our key positions to create something are occupied by CB and full backs as they move in the space, while midfielders are standing on 20 yards in line with forwards. No runs behind, nothing just standing there hoping for I am not sure why. Honestly, I am not sure what is the ideal situation Ten Hag wants to create with this. We are dangerous only on counter, when we win the ball in the middle.

As you probably understand now this has nothing to do with players available. Yes, we will probably get some better results with better player available but we will see the same patterns, similar goals conceded, similar number of shots allowed as it is structural issue.

Hopefully, INEOS will fix this as soon as possible and sack Ten Hag in order to give new manager time till the end of the season to work on something and see which players can work for him before preseason and summer window.

GazTheLegend

Not sure what Danny Murphy was watching, but Mainoo was comfortably the best United player on the pitch IMHO. I genuinely enjoy watching him play.
Just another thick pundit who steals a living, nothing to see there. Charisma vacuum.

Tiber

On the brightside atleast Antony finally found his level. After a goal tonight we might get a couple of league 2 teams interested in him before the end of January

wolvored

Forest will chop us down playing like this. 2 greedy bastard wingers. Swap them so as well as shooting they can also cross with their preferred foot. Hojlund living on scraps again.

Rajma

Newport had 17 attempts, with 7 on target. No disrespect, but this is the reason we concede a lot. We are simply too easy to play against, and if we played against a stronger team today, we'd have probably lost.

Having said that, we won and scored 4 decent goals. Really should have had a few more too, but ten Hag really needs to address the problem we have off the ball because we're so vulnerable.
You’ve nailed here, bottom league 2 side coming away with so many attempts against our goal just sums our season and tactics up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Hope we don't face a league 1 giant in the next round
We will play Bristol City or Nottingham away, the draw has already been made. It is a very tough draw but I trust ETH to try and make it work.

Joseunited

It's a bit worrying when Newport with less than 30% of the ball still manage 17 shots at goal.
Not looking forward to Wolves on Thursday.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Getting some of the injury crew back on the pitch, and Hojlund getting another goal were the main plusses.

Robertd0803

Get in there. I guess.

No reason it should have been as difficult as that though, just beyond comprehension.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 165 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newport County win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Newport County 0:3 Man Utd
  • 18% Newport County 0:2 Man Utd