PL W FA Premier League

Norwich City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 December 2021

Dominos

Little details I have to moan about today

1. Why the feck wasn't Bailly ready to come on the pitch? Several minutes after it was signalled that Lindelof needed to come off, Bailly is just standing around in his tracksuit on the sidelines. It's just absurd that in a game that is prepared for in such detail, we're willing to spend several minutes playing with 10 men because our players and coaches are too stupid to have someone ready to be subbed on when we need them.

2. Why the feck is Rashford allowed to shoot from that free kick in the 95th minute? Take it to the corner flag. Again, Norwich could have launched 1 more attack from our loss of possession all because we were too stupid to attempt to run down the clock. We really do have the stupidest players on earth.

lex talionis

i don't get the McFred praise, yes they played well. But the midfield wasn't really under control and got dominated by Norwich near the end of the game.
I really don't get why they get used against the weakest PL team and as a duo still don't work(individually they were good though).
Agreed. We were overrun in midfield. McFred have been worse, but they were in no way majestic today. Whatever one thinks about their performance today, it cannot be denied we need to upgrade our midfielders if we hope to lift a major trophy next season.

Dominos

Wow, Bruno lost possession 27 times and Ronaldo and Rashford lost possession 17 times each. All over them gave possession away over 30% of the time they had a touch.
:lol: That is shocking

And people only ever want to blame Fred, Mctominay and AWB. As if the rest of our team isn't absolutely hopeless as keeping possession.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Norwich, the last place side, were simply the better team tonight and we were lucky to win. I really hope RR improves our play soon or this could be a long winter.

- Inexplicable that Sancho comes off and not Rashford
- Bruno tried at least 4 penetrating balls or over-the-top balls and none were even close to being good. This is very worrying.
- Ronaldo looked like a 36 year old trying to play a young man's game.

Becks00

The attackers are having to switch from the counter attack hollywood moments to a more controlled game.

They were a bit shit today but its understandable and considering its GAME 2 under a new manager its nothing to get to down about.
This, Bruno and Rashford especially. I don't get why they just can't seem to get the fact that the ball behind the line isn't going to be frequently an option as it used to be, if we are going to be playing the majority of the match in the opponents half. Sancho keeps trying to engage them in the give and go that usually works in breaking down deep sitting teams but they just seem uninterested.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Most pessimistic post I’ve seen from you after a win. Wonder what’s changed…
Yeah, I wonder where the bit about progression and results mattering and us getting clean sheets went from that post? Could it possibly be because someone is bitter?

Wing Attack Plan R

"Just win, baby!"

I think Norwich were the better side and created the better chances, and had DeGea not been at his best this would have been a humiliating defeat.

Rashford is operating like he has no sensation in his feet, shocking to see how shorn he is of ability/confidence. He should not have started today, should have not have stayed on as long as he did, and should slip down the pecking order behind Greenwood.

Bruno and Ronnie both were shocking in their carelessness and sloppiness. Maybe best summarized by Ronaldo trying that over head volley in the opening minutes. Play it simple and score.

Our high press fell apart before the first half was even out. There were a couple moments when Ronaldo and Rashford stood back about 20 yards from the Norwich CB and just watched him look around and pick his pass.

DeGea MOTM by some distance. We were just lacking in cohesion today, kept passing to the opponents, not moving when we had the ball, just generally awful play. But we got the three points, onwards and upwards.

Dominos

i don't get the McFred praise, yes they played well. But the midfield wasn't really under control and got dominated by Norwich near the end of the game.
I really don't get why they get used against the weakest PL team and as a duo still don't work(individually they were good though).
If your front 4 are giving the ball away every 10 seconds, how on earth could we have the game under control? Every time Bruno, Sancho, Ronaldo and Rashford lose the ball is another potential counter attack for Norwich, another transition for Norwich that we have to defend against, another chance for them to play the long ball over the top of our defence to chase, another chance to get the ball forward where they can win free kicks around our box, and win corners that put us under pressure.

Fred and Mctominay are not superhuman that they can win the ball back within seconds every time our front 4 lose the ball. They lose the ball so often it's literally impossible for us not to be under pressure at points in the game.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Feels like Varane is the big thing this team needs now to get some stability, it's too much hanging from the ropes.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

That was pretty grim though. Cant imagine Ralf is going to be very happy with that somehow.

Oh and Viva Ronaldo.

Offsideagain

Even given the fact that the players are trying yet another new system from yet another new coach, we were awful. Never looked like a quality side.Panic at the back every time Norwich attacked, lack of creativity and penetration. Sancho tried a few times and got taken off FFS. At least our penalty was genuine unlike the City one which was a joke.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
If your front 4 are giving the ball away every 10 seconds, how on earth could we have the game under control? Every time Bruno, Sancho, Ronaldo and Rashford lose the ball is another potential counter attack for Norwich, another transition for Norwich that we have to defend against, another chance for them to play the long ball over the top of our defence to chase, another chance to get the ball forward where they can win free kicks around our box, and win corners that put us under pressure.

Fred and Mctominay are not superhuman that they can win the ball back within seconds every time our front 4 lose the ball. They lose the ball so often it's literally impossible for us not to be under pressure at points in the game.
By not being able to contribute well in a passing game. If the attackers had the option to pass to McFred and knowing that they'll do something good with it, they might not have lost the ball so much.
That is the problem with playing an all out defensive midfield. Giving teammates more opportunities to pass to will help with control. It's not all about pressing or getting the ball back if we lost that. Making sure that you keep the ball means the opponent can't really get dangerous. McFred clearly isn't going to help with that. Playing either Fred or McTominay would suffice if you pair them with a midfielder who can do a bit more with the ball.

Offsideagain

Christ, just seen Dean Smith moaning about the penalty and free kicks but never mention their player clearly diving just outside the area in extra time. Sore loser.

Red00012

Christ, just seen Dean Smith moaning about the penalty and free kicks but never mention their player clearly diving just outside the area in extra time. Sore loser.
It’s a penalty all day I don’t know what he’s complaining about.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He can't be taken seriously.
He's the guy who said Grealish was a "doubt" for the next game last season, and he was out for 3months!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Wow, Bruno lost possession 27 times and Ronaldo and Rashford lost possession 17 times each. All over them gave possession away over 30% of the time they had a touch.
And this is the reason why we were shit today, when the forward line cannot hold the ball then its going to be tough to control the game.

Bruno hopelessly tried all game to vertically pass to the full backs and failed more often than not, as a result of which we had no attacking outlet because as stated earlier the forwards were shit aswell.

We need a reliable midfielder like scholes or even carrick who can pass the fecking ball more than 5 yards.

edcunited1878

Going to say it again....what top team in the PL play two central mids ahead of only two center backs?

City, Liverpool, Chelsea don't. Tottenham don't. West Ham does, but they sit back and play with a lot of width. Playing with only 2 central mids makes it easier for teams to get through the middle and play between the lines. Cannot control matches unless you play for possession and retain your shape.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Absolute shite performance, take the 3 points and thank our lucky stars.

Marcus Rashford...My god, woeful.

Maticmaker

We made Norwich look good... De Gea to the rescue and once again that 'deja vu' feeling (all over again)... and no Ole to blame!

I am beginning to feel that some of our players are taking the 'p**s' , we were continually giving the ball away... not losing it, but giving it away, by sloppy work, failure to double back.
Pundits on BT seem to think Ralph may have been working them too hard this week and they were lacking in energy.

Memo to RR -You've got your work cut out for you Ralph, need to make sure they start the day with Weetabix!! :smirk:

Dominos

By not being able to contribute well in a passing game. If the attackers had the option to pass to McFred and knowing that they'll do something good with it, they might not have lost the ball so much.
That is the problem with playing an all out defensive midfield. Giving teammates more opportunities to pass to will help with control. It's not all about pressing or getting the ball back if we lost that. Making sure that you keep the ball means the opponent can't really get dangerous. McFred clearly isn't going to help with that. Playing either Fred or McTominay would suffice if you pair them with a midfielder who can do a bit more with the ball.
Go through every time our front 4 lost the ball today and tell me what % of them were attributable to Fred and Mctominay not making themselves available for a pass?

And the 2nd excuse is Fred and Mctominay were available for a pass, but our front 4 don't think they'll do anything with it so they decide to give it to the opposition instead :lol:

Fred and Mctominay passed the ball well today from what I watched, they gave it to our front 4 in good positions. We're at a point where Fred and Mctominay are being expected to shoulder the blame for everyone else being shit as well as themselves.

Todd

Pretty poor overall, but at least we kept a clean sheet. We were very indecisive in the box, taking extra touches instead of shooting.

It's nice to see Sancho doing better but now Rashford is falling off. I think Greenwood should be starting for a while.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We made Norwich look good... De Gea to the rescue and once again that 'deja vu' feeling (all over again)... and no Ole to blame!

I am beginning to feel that some of our players are taking the 'p**s' , we were continually giving the ball away... not losing it, but giving it away, by sloppy work, failure to double back.
Pundits on BT seem to think Ralph may have been working them too hard this week and they were lacking in energy.

Memo to RR -You've got your work cut out for you Ralph, need to make sure they start the day with Weetabix!! :smirk:
If they are tired from the training it is because they have been under-trained previously. Every single manager from SAF has said they were going to make the team extra fit and full of stamina. It might happen eventually.

DickDastardly

Greenwood in all his games as a United player has never been so bad as Rashford can be.

Things might not work out for him every game, but the kid is already a better player.

If he doesn't get the start over Marcus that's just poor managing skills.

Also, somebody sit Bruno down and play him 90 minutes of Xavi or Modrić NOT LOSING the ball after every game.

daveskimufc

Little details I have to moan about today

1. Why the feck wasn't Bailly ready to come on the pitch? Several minutes after it was signalled that Lindelof needed to come off, Bailly is just standing around in his tracksuit on the sidelines. It's just absurd that in a game that is prepared for in such detail, we're willing to spend several minutes playing with 10 men because our players and coaches are too stupid to have someone ready to be subbed on when we need them.

2. Why the feck is Rashford allowed to shoot from that free kick in the 95th minute? Take it to the corner flag. Again, Norwich could have launched 1 more attack from our loss of possession all because we were too stupid to attempt to run down the clock. We really do have the stupidest players on earth.
No. 2

I thought exactly this. Ass just trying to get The glory rather than see the game out sensibly

hopefully he goes back to the bench for Brentford and Greenwood takes his place

sugar_kane

This is a joke right? You see no difference in performance from tonight and vs Palace to the performances vs Liverpool, City and Watford?
Obviously, they were all dire games under a manager who was finished.

However tonight were we much better than in games earlier the season, Villa for example, or Everton? I’m not so sure.

Bar a penalty and De Gea pulling out some world class saves we’d have drawn or even lost tonight, and the general overall play was shite.

Sviken

City needed a penalty to beat 10-man Wolves...that is football for you! its not always easy 3-nils or fast flowing football.

Winning ugly is a great trait to have.
I think the difference here is in the way the team plays. True, City needed a penalty against Wolves, but they were firmly in control of that match. Against Norwich we honestly got away with it, i'd argue we didn't even deserve a draw. Sure, teams will have off days and what not when they're not able to score regardless, but to get smacked by a relegation team like that is embarrassing.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Most pessimistic post I’ve seen from you after a win. Wonder what’s changed…
I think you're implying that I'm some kind of Ole obsessive here. Maybe I'm missing the point.

I think when you have a widely regarded wonder coach in charge and still see a match full of very basic mistakes amd general poor play, it's only natural to wonder whether we are actually just quite an average team

And yes, of course he's had no time and I've no doubt he will improve us, and for the record I back these changes unreservedly, but still, it's hard to reach any other conclusion. That was a hard watch against a poor opponent. Obviously an important 3 points.

Dominos

No. 2

I thought exactly this. Ass just trying to get The glory rather than see the game out sensibly

hopefully he goes back to the bench for Brentford and Greenwood takes his place
This is not just Rashford though. Why are our players and manager allowing him to make this decision? Why isn't someone screaming from the sidelines that this needs to go in the corner? Why isn't our captain telling him it needs to go in the corner? Why isn't Ronaldo telling him it needs needs to go in the corner?

And if he still insists he wants to shoot, push him off it and let someone else take the free kick and get it in the corner.

A Civilized Reader

We won. Cleen sheet. Move up to fifth on the table.

Why is this place full of negative energy?

FYI: City played at home against 10 men and also needed a penalty to get the same result as ours.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive

Spot on.

I'm surprised more people can't see this.

All the forwards were uncharacteristically poor today. Rare for that to happen at the same time.

That's why we looked shit

Gator Nate

It was relegation-zone Norwich.

Magalof and McFred again.

DeGea bails out the team.

Ronaldo bails out the manager.

Donny only on at 88'.

Ole out. Oh, wait...

(and don't give me that, "A win's a win," garbage as an excuse...)

Blood Mage

Feels like Varane is the big thing this team needs now to get some stability, it's too much hanging from the ropes.
It was our passive attackers causing the problems tonight, not our defence. Oh how I wish we had a Rooney or Tevez up front right now.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 86% of 347 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw